• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine a world where the Final Fantasy committee weren't such rigid buzzkills.
  • Tifa and Sephiroth assist trophies
  • Spirits for Black Mage, Chocobo, Moogle, Terra, Kefka, Barret, Aerith, Red XIII, Cait Sith, Cid, Yuffie, Vincent, Zack, Squall, Zidane, Tidus, Yuna, Lightning, Noctis, etc.
  • Dozens of songs from across the series' history

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Do people expect the final character to be a bombshell, or do you think things will kinda fizzle-out again with another Byleth situation? I like Byleth but they were nowhere near the hype-level as the previous 4. Would be kinda weird if Smash's whole DLC cycle ended on a similar note.

Imagine a world where the Final Fantasy committee weren't such rigid buzzkills.
  • Tifa and Sephiroth assist trophies
  • Spirits for Black Mage, Chocobo, Moogle, Terra, Kefka, Barret, Aerith, Red XIII, Cait Sith, Cid, Yuffie, Vincent, Zack, Squall, Zidane, Tidus, Yuna, Lightning, Noctis, etc.
  • Dozens of songs from across the series' history

Also English voice acting would be nice to finally have. Part of me still vainly holds onto hope that they'll get Cody Christian on board if we get another Square Enix character, but I'll eventually give up.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Do people expect the final character to be a bombshell, or do you think things will kinda fizzle-out again with another Byleth situation? I like Byleth but they were nowhere near the hype-level as the previous 4. Would be kinda weird if Smash's whole DLC cycle ended on a similar note.

Also English voice acting would be nice to finally have. Part of me still vainly holds onto hope that they'll get Cody Christian on board if we get another Square Enix character, but I'll eventually give up.
Smash's high note never happens at the end.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
Tifa, Barret, and Sephiroth are like the perfect Mii Costumes that'll never happen and that sucks.

I don't think the last character is gonna be a big hype inducer. Those are probably gonna be revealed early on to get more people to buy the pass.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Smash reveals rarely end on a high note, so I do expect something similar to happen again.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If they're going to upgrade a spirit to a playable character, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave Ayumi Tachibana the upgrade treatment.

(This is dependent on the remake getting a worldwide release.)

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Smash's high note never happens at the end.
I don't think the last character is gonna be a big hype inducer. Those are probably gonna be revealed early on to get more people to buy the pass.
Smash reveals rarely end on a high note, so I do expect something similar to happen again.

Kinda sucks but I didn't think about the sales side of things

At the very least I can't think of many characters who would be outright disappointing, outside of maybe a very safe Pokémon choice

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely think the E3 reveals will be the ones to look out for.

Though if we get a Direct in March with a teaser for the first FP2 character, I could see it too being a popular character like Joker.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Worst timeline if Geno gets in:

- Forest Maze is a walk-off

- Two midi rips and none are And My Name's Booster

Best timeline:

- Bowser's Castle with Exor sticking out the top

- Multiple tracks and remixes

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being a wee English kid who loved Yoshi, getting that internet access through dial up, and discovering BOSHI
It blew my tiny fragile mind, when I finally got to play SMRPG as part of the Wii's HANABI FESTIVAL, well, safe to say the reality was very underwhelming

just like the rest of the game then

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
He absolutely should.
I had a friend back in middle school who was bewilderingly a huge Boshi fan. I think it started as just a gimmick but if you do something ironically long enough it just becomes normal fandom so after a while he was just the world's only Boshi stan.

So for his sake if for no one else, I'd be down.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being a wee English kid who loved Yoshi, getting that internet access through dial up, and discovering BOSHI
It blew my tiny fragile mind, when I finally got to play SMRPG as part of the Wii's HANABI FESTIVAL, well, safe to say the reality was very underwhelming

just like the rest of the game then

KmHbZ6H.png

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
With Yakuza apparently being Sega's foremost series now, this sure would be the perfect time to get Kiryu in Smash

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With Yakuza apparently being Sega's foremost series now, this sure would be the perfect time to get Kiryu in Smash

I know Yakuza differs from Sonic in being actually consistently good, but I worry that the back to back releases will eventually engender boredom in the fanbase.

Capitalize on it now while the iron's hot, for sure, but how long will it last?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I know Yakuza differs from Sonic in being actually consistently good, but I worry that the back to back releases will eventually engender boredom in the fanbase.

Most of the releases of late have been remasters and Yakuza 7 is a massive gameplay shift away from the standard formula.

It'll be fine.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the releases of late have been remasters and Yakuza 7 is a massive gameplay shift away from the standard formula.

It'll be fine.

Well, here's hoping. I'm not a massive fan or anything but I'm glad that a cult series that did its own thing managed to attain a greater deal of popularity.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

They've been doing it since Yakuza 2, we just only started getting them all recently.

Since the series began the only skipped years have been 2007, 2013, and 2019 (but with multiple titles in several years to balance that out.)

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The ho-hum Kiwami 1 and 2 after starting with Zero's quality already burnt me out, alongside these they've dropped 6, Judgement and now the HD remasters of 3,4,5 and I just can't take that much Kamurocho

But 7 I do still have my eye on, assuming the battle system moves at a decent clip.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Well, here's hoping. I'm not a massive fan or anything but I'm glad that a cult series that did its own thing managed to attain a greater deal of popularity.
Nice to see you're happy for Fire Emblem too! (I'm teasing you).

anyways. I tried playing Yakuza 0 and I could not get into the gameplay. But I did enjoy watching GiantBomb East play it lol.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
The ho-hum Kiwami 1 and 2 after starting with Zero's quality already burnt me out, alongside these they've dropped 6, Judgement and now the HD remasters of 3,4,5 and I just can't take that much Kamurocho

But 7 I do still have my eye on, assuming the battle system moves at a decent clip.
I know the Wii U ports only sold like 14 copies, but I wish they'd rerelease the remasters of 1 and 2 over here. I'd rather play those than the Kiwamis to be honest, the remakes just feel so compromised by their shoestring budget.

At least the PS2 games emulate fairly well and have native widescreen support.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see you're happy for Fire Emblem too! (I'm teasing you).

anyways. I tried playing Yakuza 0 and I could not get into the gameplay. But I did enjoy watching GiantBomb East play it lol.

FE did do its own thing to become popular

(the thing was waifus)

Anyway yeah Yakuza gameplay is pretty weak which is why Y7 changing everything up has me interested.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
FE did do its own thing to become popular

(the thing was waifus and dating mechanics)

Anyway yeah Yakuza gameplay is pretty weak which is why Y7 changing everything up has me interested.
Excuse me good sir. they added Causal Mode too.

And yeah, I'm interested in Yakuza 7 cause of the turn base combat, but I'm still iffy since the yakuza setting doesn't really interest me that much.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excuse me good sir. they added Causal Mode too.

And yeah, I'm interested in Yakuza 7 cause of the turn base combat, but I'm still iffy since the yakuza setting doesn't really interest me that much.

The appeal of Yakuza is definitely in the story and characters and even playing one game (preferably Yakuza 0) will make you understand why so many people have endeared themselves to Kazuma Kiryu.

It's basically like Metal Gear but competently told. It's video gamey and has its exceedingly silly moments, but it's fully self aware and unashamed of them, which makes them all the more fun to explore because the criminal conspiracies to take over the Yakuza are placed right alongside with equal importance to Kiryu getting really good at playing with toy cars. Nations crumble when a burly dude rips his coat and shirt off in one swift motion, revealing his super fucking sick back tattoos as he proceeds to demolish the army of thugs laid in front of him.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Sega — "lets release like 8 games set in Kamurocho over the course of 18 months staring the same characters that play pretty similarly"

Also Sega — "Nah, forget about the one set in a totally different setting where one of your primary fighting styles is duel wielding a pistol and a katana - no one'll buy it. But we are rereleasing Vanquish."

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Hey actually???

So I thought about this a bit more and unfortunately I don't think Kiryu will make it into the game. Hear me out:

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is rated CERO A in Japan. CERO is like the Japanese ESRB, and A is basically their "E for Everyone." CERO has a different list of content descriptors than the ESRB, which you can find here. You'll notice one of the descriptors is "crime" which includes "gangs" as a part of it's reasoning.

Kiryu is pretty inextricably linked to gangs, so I think it'd be pretty difficult for them to include him without having to have the game re-rated.

I'm not saying this rules him out entirely, but it definitely lowers my optimism for having my favourite character of all time included in Smash :(

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey actually???

So I thought about this a bit more and unfortunately I don't think Kiryu will make it into the game. Hear me out:

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is rated CERO A in Japan. CERO is like the Japanese ESRB, and A is basically their "E for Everyone." CERO has a different list of content descriptors than the ESRB, which you can find here. You'll notice one of the descriptors is "crime" which includes "gangs" as a part of it's reasoning.

Kiryu is pretty inextricably linked to gangs, so I think it'd be pretty difficult for them to include him without having to have the game re-rated.

I'm not saying this rules him out entirely, but it definitely lowers my optimism for having my favourite character of all time included in Smash :(

It's fine.

Super Smash Bros. x Kiryu

Or Ryu Ga Gatoku

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
The entire FFVII soundtrack is bad in the game itself. Only the remixes are good.

Like people complain about DQ's midi but VII's is way worse.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Hey actually???

I don't see why Kiryu would be added to Smash with gang references. He appears in Everybody's Golf without affecting the rating, and Smash already has a handful of characters who hail from mature games, including Snake and Bayonetta.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My brother pressuring me to play the Yakuza games finally wore me down. And then I went from 0 to Kiwami to (currently) Kiwami 2.

What I'm saying is Yakuza games have been enjoyable to me so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.