• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Even western third-parties aren't safe from spirit and mii costume purges.

I'm afraid, really.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of western third party representation, Smash 4 basically only had trophies of Rayman characters and CommanderVideo.

In Ultimate we at least have Banjo & Kazooie as a full on playable character (and with an accompanying stage, spirits and music), Shovel Knight as an assist trophy, Mii outfits from Assassin's Creed, Rabbids, Undertale and Cuphead (with accompanying music tracks for the latter two), and spirits of series like Rayman, Shantae, Shovel Knight, Cuphead and Warframe. Baby steps, but it's definitely a step up from the last game.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Fortnite wasting one of our precious music packs is the biggest point against it getting a character, really.

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
The more western content we get in Smash, the more confident I am in characters like Crash, Rayman, Master Chief, Doomslayer and Scorpion. At the very least I think we'll be getting Crash this pass, and I wouldn't be surprised to see another western third party make the pass either.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I feel confident in saying that the western content will exclusively be from franchises that are also popular in Japan. That's stayed true so far and it makes sense.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Is Assassin's Creed really popular in Japan though? Wasn't 45,000 considered a success for Odyssey in Japan or something?

Well, here's what I found

e29e41b435add101cd539c461d88a327.png

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
After retiring my Smash Red XL via system transfer (RIP), I decided to revisit Smash 3DS for a spell to test out its successor: a SNES-themed New 3DS. Some thoughts:

• For me, it's always very difficult revisiting past Smash games, but barring some moveset hang-ups (I forgot about Ness's glorious aerial noggin!), I clicked back into this instantly. Maybe it helped that Ultimate's running on the same (albeit revamped) Namco engine? Regardless, this'll serve quite well for my Japanese studies later this year (After my Mother 2 playthrough wraps up, I plan on deciphering the game's trophies. Guuuuess who just snagged a sexy One Piece-themed JP 3DS off eBay!)
  • Smash 3DS destroyed my XL's Circle Pad, but the C-stick's snappier than it looks...although it's no match for muscle memory. Being the worrywart I am, I was gripped by a pervasive fear over my Circle Pad usage, ahaha.
  • This stage selection screen is tiny; seriously, look at this thing!
  • God, I missed Smash Run.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You ever wonder if Japan has a scene for cult Western games the way the West does for theirs?

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
What about the good ones, as in the first three games? Also, where is this data?

sites.google.com

Game Data Library

Digital IS NOT included. The SKU Option is vital for browsing the data on this page, and without choosing an option the data will appear messy, with the same game appear over and over again. The All SKUs option makes the table displays all the individual SKUs on released on the platform, which is

I don't think those Shantae games were even released in Japan, so that's probably why they're not listed.

Edit: Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse apparantly did, but the first one didn't, it seems.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
That site doesn't count digital sales so I'm wondering what the discrepancy is for Shantae.

Also Kiseki sells way better in Japan than I thought it did. Huh. Maybe this can actually happen.

They all sell better than Ys. Suck it, Adol.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was right with blue Bayo

Also she evolves at 99, so we get two spirits

So, I was right the first time in that other thread about enhancing.

sites.google.com

Game Data Library

Digital IS NOT included. The SKU Option is vital for browsing the data on this page, and without choosing an option the data will appear messy, with the same game appear over and over again. The All SKUs option makes the table displays all the individual SKUs on released on the platform, which is

I don't think those Shantae games were even released in Japan, so that's probably why they're not listed.

Edit: Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse apparantly did, but the first one didn't, it seems.
Thanks. Curious how the others sold still. They probably did worse. :/

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That site doesn't count digital sales so I'm wondering what the discrepancy is for Shantae.

Also Kiseki sells way better in Japan than I thought it did. Huh. Maybe this can actually happen.

They all sell better than Ys. Suck it, Adol.
Ah, that makes sense why they weren't listed I suppose. Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse debuted as digital games. In fact, I think they are exclusively digital if you don't count Limited Run Games.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Worth noting that Metal Gear, Soul Calibur and Final Fantasy had Assassin's Creed cross-over content. It is a pretty universal game in a lot of respects, what with how it jumps around different cultures and has a quirky sci fi premise.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Worth noting that Metal Gear, Soul Calibur and Final Fantasy had Assassin's Creed cross-over content. It is a pretty universal game in a lot of respects, what with how it jumps around different cultures and has a quirky sci fi premise.
And yet, AC's producers seem utterly apathetic to the idea of a game set in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.