• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was so focused on the Namco Mii costumes that I forgot the two Monster Hunter costumes hadn't returned yet. Wouldn't be a bad idea to expect Monster Hunter as a fighter at this point.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Majima is the most interesting character in the Yakuza franchise.

I've only played 0 and a bit of Kiwami, but I feel comfortable in saying this.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Done. I tried to be seriously and realized I couldn't think of 6 possible characters (aka i was lazy) and decided to have some fun.

Yeah, I'm at the point where 6 possible characters are pretty tough to predicts. It might be obvious that not all 6 characters would be definitely superstars like Sonic, Cloud, Hero and Ryu. Also full third party characters aren't even guaranteed as well.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I'm certainly not going to assume any character who is already in the game (spirit, AT, or otherwise) is getting upgraded until it actually happens.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Frostbite is lit

Also the first second unique third party (lol words) should absolutely be Chun-Li. She's video game royalty.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I wonder why they did Mii Costumes for Tails and Knuckles, but not Shadow.

Thanks to his game, he could've been any of the three Mii types!

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Would a classic Bamco arcade game rep like Mappy count as a secondary rep for Pac-Man since he also acts as a rep for all of that?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Add Sephiroth the Hedgehog Sakurai

images

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Chun-Li is about the only fighting game character I'd accept at this point and even then, she's still very low on the list.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, she is the First Lady of Fighting Games, after all.
And that's great.

Still hate the idea. There's nothing more boring to me then fighting game characters in crossover fighters and there's nothing about Chun-li's moveset that interests me and I'm not attached to her as a character.

Alucard, Zero, and Raiden are all characters I love from games I love, so yes in this hypothetical scenario I'd absolutely include them first. Frankly I wouldn't put Chun-li in period if it was up to me. If I wanted a female fighter I'd go for 2B or Lara or something.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Chun-Li and Dr. Eggman should be the first characters in line from an already repped 3rd party franchise. Shadow getting in first would suck.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I'd prefer characters from new series, but The Boss, Alucard, Chun-Li, Aigis, Rock Howard, or Mai Shiranui would all be fun too.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Only reason I don't directly support Chunners is because I'd rather have Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright, or Dante. And in terms of new fighting game characters, I'd rather have Sol or Nightmare.

But if we had to get another Street Fighter, then I can't think of a better choice.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Majima is the most interesting character in the Yakuza franchise.

I've only played 0 and a bit of Kiwami, but I feel comfortable in saying this.

The thing with Majima is that narratively they run out of steam for him eventually, compared to Kiryu who has a constant sense of development. Majima mostly gets his in 0 and a bit of 4/5, in the others he comes across as the Joker/Kefka archetype (though I've yet to finish 1, 2 and 6) which is fun but not exactly interesting IMO.

Haruka is honestly the best character in the entire franchise and she'd be the perfect Assist Trophy in Smash 6 (but should be the Maya to Kiryu's MvC3 Phoenix Wright)

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Eggman would be totally let down by the natural gameplay of Smash.

Like you could come up with a moveset for him but it wouldn't be nearly as interesting as it could be.

Final Fantasy should definitely be first in line for a better rep. I would pull for a XIV character if I felt it was in anyway possible.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The thing with Majima is that narratively they run out of steam for him eventually, compared to Kiryu who has a constant sense of development. Majima mostly gets his in 0 and a bit of 4/5, in the others he comes across as the Joker/Kefka archetype (though I've yet to finish 1, 2 and 6) which is fun but not exactly interesting IMO.

Haruka is honestly the best character in the entire franchise and she'd be the perfect Assist Trophy in Smash 6 (but should be the Maya to Kiryu's MvC3 Phoenix Wright)

Majima is very much a secondary character for most of the series. In Yakuza 1, he plays such a small part in the main story that the remake added the "Majima Everywhere" system just to give him more reason to be in the game. He has more story in Yakuza 2, with a short, separate sidestory in YK2 that serves as a direct sequel to his storyline from 0.

As for Yakuza 6, Majima is barely in the game at all.

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
Eggman never having a prominent role in Smash is honestly super weird considering how Sonic's been in 3 Smash games now, two of which prominently featured boss battles. I get why time constraints would mess with Brawl's timing but Eggman is an enormously popular villain and he wasn't even an Assist Trophy at minimum.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Chun-Li and Dr. Eggman should be the first characters in line from an already repped 3rd party franchise. Shadow getting in first would suck.
You're not wrong there. In the case of Eggman, you could also make an argument for Tails or Knuckles as far as unique newcomers go for Sonic. But of the three, I'd choose Eggman.

And that's great.

Still hate the idea. There's nothing more boring to me then fighting game characters in crossover fighters and there's nothing about Chun-li's moveset that interests me and I'm not attached to her as a character.

Alucard, Zero, and Raiden are all characters I love from games I love, so yes in this hypothetical scenario I'd absolutely include them first. Frankly I wouldn't put Chun-li in period if it was up to me. If I wanted a female fighter I'd go for 2B or Lara or something.
But at least with Smash, there's something interesting about translating her moveset. And given Chun-Li's standing in the industry, she'd be a slam-dunk inclusion despite Street Fighter having a unique newcomer & an echo.

Actually, now that you mention it, Chun-Li could have a legit shot at getting in if Street Fighter VI is indeed coming early next year (as a promotional pick of sorts on Capcom's part, if they think that way). There's a reason why she's had perfect attendance throughout the Versus series (alongside Ryu).

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Eggman never having a prominent role in Smash is honestly super weird considering how Sonic's been in 3 Smash games now, two of which prominently featured boss battles. I get why time constraints would mess with Brawl's timing but Eggman is an enormously popular villain and he wasn't even an Assist Trophy at minimum.
There were Egg Robos in Smash Run, at least :T

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From an outside observer looking in I was surprised to find out when I got more into the games how few times Majima was playable.

You're not wrong there. In the case of Eggman, you could also make an argument for Tails or Knuckles as far as unique newcomers go for Sonic. But of the three, I'd choose Eggman.

But at least with Smash, there's something interesting about translating her moveset. And given Chun-Li's standing in the industry, she'd be a slam-dunk inclusion despite Street Fighter having a unique newcomer & an echo.

Actually, now that you mention it, Chun-Li could have a legit shot at getting in if Street Fighter VI is indeed coming early next year (as a promotional pick of sorts on Capcom's part, if they think that way). There's a reason why she's had perfect attendance throughout the Versus series (alongside Ryu).
Look if she gets in I'll be happy for you but I'd sooner get Fortnite person.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's Knuckles, the bloat thrower
Independent flower, Magical Emerald holder
I'll give you the coldest shoulder
My spikes go through boulders, that's why I stay a loner
I was born by myself, I don't need a posse
I get it on by myself, adversaries get shelved
*Plays saxophone

Only reason I'm going with Eggman is because he's just as old as Sonic and he'd offer a widely more unique gameplay style than any other character.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Chun-Li would be boring because she'd just be another fighting game character translated to Smash in nearly a 1:1 way.

No new ideas that Ryu, Ken and Terry haven't already did

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
The biggest tell of how much of the Yakuza series someone has played is how much importance they put on Majima.

I mean it's still a game that already has two characters getting another one when several other beloved franchises don't have any. Like sure it's great for fans of that franchise but it's super frustrating for everyone else.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Eggman would be totally let down by the natural gameplay of Smash.

Like you could come up with a moveset for him but it wouldn't be nearly as interesting as it could be.

Final Fantasy should definitely be first in line for a better rep. I would pull for a XIV character if I felt it was in anyway possible.

A FFXIV port to Switch announcement alongside confirmation of Y'shtola in Smash would make me so happy. She's probably my second fave FF character at this point.

ideally would have her Heavensward and Shadowbringers outfits with the staff, the original one with a twig wouldn't reaaally work.

I'd be fine with a lot of FFXIV characters, though.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
As an aside, part of me wished that they would allow for Persona 5 Strikers to unlock P5R & P5S music for Smash Ultimate (obviously you can obtain it by other means if you don't want to get P5S).

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Chun-Li would be boring because she'd just be another fighting game character translated to Smash in nearly a 1:1 way.

No new ideas that Ryu, Ken and Terry haven't already did
That's the exciting part to me, at least lol. I made a whole thread about the subject

I love seeing characters from one fighting game franchise being a guest in another series, so you can see how they'd translate within new mechanics, being developed by a different studio, be in a new artstyle, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.