• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Challenger Pack 2: Banjo-Kazooie + Spiral Mountain
Challenger Pack 3: Steve + Minecraft stage
Challenger Pack 4: Tracer + Watchpoint: Gibraltar
Challenger Pack 5: Geno + Forest Maze

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Apparently everyone thinks Nintendo doesn't want to promote first party characters anymore

I also don't think Brave is Erdrick but I don't want to get into that

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
  • Challenger Pack 5: Chell + Portal Test Area

giphy.gif

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently everyone thinks Nintendo doesn't want to promote first party characters anymore

The way Reggie was talking about DLC characters at the Game Awards made it seem like they want to focus on new third party properties now. But yeah who knows, maybe there will be more first party characters.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
The way Reggie was talking about DLC characters at the Game Awards made it seem like they want to focus on new third party properties now. But yeah who knows, maybe there will be more first party characters.

Reggie was trying to sell a season pass. I'm not sure I'd put that much stock into what he said. I find it doubtful there will be absolutely no first party characters in this pass, as the overwhelming majority here seem to think

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

The only first party characters that...
  1. Are from a franchise that was proven to be successful as of 11/6/18.
  2. Could sell DLC on their own.
  3. A character that Sakurai could get reference material for close to their game's release & finish working on said character(s) before the end of February 2020.
Would be Byleth or Edelgard. And even then, they'd be cutting it pretty close (December 2019 at the earliest, February 2020 at the latest). For reference, assuming that Pokémon Sword/Shield comes out this November (going by Corrin & Incineroar, Sakurai now typically waits until near the release of a new game to get reference materials), Sakurai would only have 4 or so months to work on the character (I.E. not enough time). Astral Chain could fit this timeframe, but it was an unproven new IP as of 11/6/18 (it still is, actually).

Also, even if it's not Erdrick, the "Brave" codename & what Tansut said on the subject all point towards a Dragon Quest character of some kind.

Apr 12, 2018
  • Challenger Pack 2: Kaepora Gaebora + Dialog box at the exit of the lost woods stage + Echo fighter Mr. Resetti
  • Challenger Pack 3: Revali + Arwing stage
  • Challenger Pack 4: Kazooie + Blue backpack stage
  • Challenger Pack 5: THIEF + Echo stage Dialog box of the shop exit

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
  • Challenger Pack 2: Kaepora Gaebora + Dialog box at the exit of the lost woods stage + Echo fighter Mr. Resetti
  • Challenger Pack 3: Revali + Arwing stage
  • Challenger Pack 4: Kazooie + Blue backpack stage
  • Challenger Pack 5: THIEF + Echo stage Dialog box of the shop exit
I want to change my list for best Zelda rep Kaepora and solo Kazooie

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Reggie was trying to sell a season pass. I'm not sure I'd put that much stock into what he said. I find it doubtful there will be absolutely no first party characters in this pass, as the overwhelming majority here seem to think
I think they got the bar set pretty high starting with Joker.. so, if they sudden announce a Fire Emblem character or Dixie Kong after that (as much I'd love her), it wouldn't fly at all, imo. So yeah, 3rd Party guests seems more profitable

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
  • Challenger Pack 2: Erdrick+ DQ field stage
  • Challenger Pack 3: Banjo Kazooie+ BK Overworld Stage. (Outside of witch entrance)
  • Challenger Pack 4: R. Hayabusa+ ninja mountain dojo stage (1st stage in ninja gaiden)
  • Challenger Pack 5: Dante + Outside of DMC Store stage

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Yep I agree. He tried to hype the season pass, and as Joker was the first announced character, I think that only one or at max 2 from the 4 remaining DLC characters will be as hype as Joker. 1st party characters are cheaper and as most Nintendo fans love Smash, they won't create a huge disappointment.

Also I'm noticing that most of the lists here look more or less the same. Aside from the rumored DQ char, lots of people think that Banjo and a RE rep are going to happen, which is kind of surprising tbh.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
CP2: Arle and Carbuncle + Primp School (Puyo Puyo)
CP3: Phoenix Wright + Courtroom (Ace Attorney)
CP4: Shantae + Scuttletown (Shantae)
CP5: Banjo-Kazooie + Click Clock Wood (Banjo-Kazooie)

Ketotifen

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
  • Challenger Pack 2: Artorias + Royal Wood Colosseum (Dark Souls)
  • Challenger Pack 3: Phoenix Wright + Courtroom stage (Ace Attorney)
  • Challenger Pack 4: Ryu Hayabusa + Hayabusa Village (Ninja Gaiden)
  • Challenger Pack 5: 2B + Amusement Park (NieR:Automata)

Contest closed early
OP
OP
Ryce

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
At IntelliHeath's suggestion, I am going to close predictions early based on the existence of a possible leak. Posts submitted or edited beyond this point will not be considered valid. Thank you!

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Challenger Pack 2: Master Chief [Brute Echo] + Lockout
Challenger Pack 3: Dragon Quest Hero [a ton of skins like Koopalings for Bowser Jr] + Labyrinth of Time
Challenger Pack 4: Euden [Zethia Echo] + Halidom
Challenger Pack 5: Mallow [Geno echo] + The Moon

Challenger Pack 2: Wild Slime Trio + Dragonlord's Castle

What is that? Google isn't giving me any gaming results.

[edit]
At IntelliHeath's suggestion, I am going to close predictions early based on the existence of a possible leak. Posts submitted or edited beyond this point will not be considered valid. Thank you!

What? Boo. Can I atleast get style points?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I would prefer this over the hero. When I think of DQ I think of these slimes first and foremost. Heck even in Japanese marketing material these guys are everywhere.

Not only are Slimes more iconic, but they're also much more interesting when it comes to Smash gameplay. We have enough humanoids with swords, I really think a Slime (or stack of Slimes) would distinguish itself far better in terms of move set and mechanics.

On the other hand this probably means it would be a lot harder to develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.