• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
so when is this going to finally become an SNK stage thread

tumblr_oy3arvqaq31rx46u5o3_1280.gif

tumblr_oy3arvqaq31rx46u5o6_1280.gif

tumblr_oy3arvqaq31rx46u5o8_1280.gif

I might be more hype for the possible SNK stages/music than I am for any specific characters.
Absolutely stunning

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine how reinvigorating it must feel.

The company worked so hard to make their comeback story a reality. The dire straits they were in during the mid aughts was pretty tragic in how they had to fight the tide of 3D development and death of arcades. Multiple franchises running on borrowed time, the ballooning budgets and diminishing returns of working with crazy detailed sprite based games, you could just tell they were on borrowed time. Then Playmore decides that the future is pachinko, It felt like the death of a legend.

... Then the Japanese gambling law reforms happen, SNK Playmore is once again caught in a tight spot where they're unable to sustain themselves on the whales. Every chance at a potential exit running increasingly low until they get acquired by 37Games and decide to double back down on console games, finally getting with the times and abandoning sprite games. First it's KoFXIV, then comes a string of licensed ventures, continuation of mobile endeavors, re-releases of old games on platforms like Switch, SamSho with a god damn budget. And now this is all culminating with a Smash appearance.

That they've earned their keep and clawed themselves back from the depths of hell is an inspiring rarity. Actually, I take back what I said in that first sentence, don't call it a comeback.

j420LAM.gif
Well I'm heckin' pumped

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
[/QUOTE]
SNK when Nintendo came to them for a character:

tenor.gif

Feels good, man. I'm so happy for them finally getting their moment if SNK character actually got in. I just prefer to see the trailer first before celebration!

The company worked so hard to make their comeback story a reality. The dire straits they were in during the mid aughts was pretty tragic in how they had to fight the tide of 3D development and death of arcades. Multiple franchises running on borrowed time, the ballooning budgets and diminishing returns of working with crazy detailed sprite based games, you could just tell they were on borrowed time. Then Playmore decides that the future is pachinko, It felt like the death of a legend.

... Then the Japanese gambling law reforms happen, SNK Playmore is once again caught in a tight spot where they're unable to sustain themselves on the whales. Every chance at a potential exit running increasingly low until they get acquired by 37Games and decide to double back down on console games, finally getting with the times and abandoning sprite games. First it's KoFXIV, then comes a string of licensed ventures, continuation of mobile endeavors, re-releases of old games on platforms like Switch, SamSho with a god damn budget. And now this is all culminating with a Smash appearance.

That they've earned their keep and clawed themselves back from the depths of hell is an inspiring rarity. Actually, I take back what I said in that first sentence, don't call it a comeback.

j420LAM.gif

They fell down so hard but they did good job to bring themselves back in shape when they feel like to. It was pretty darkest era of SNK history way back before they decided to take their games more serious.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
A SNK char? Sure, why not. They definitely have series running long enough.

Personally, i hope it's a Metal Slug char. Will probably be a KoF char, likely Mai Shiranui.

cmbsfm

Jul 13, 2019
Personally find SNK stuff lame except for Metal Slug. But it's not gonna be Metal Slug. Very disappointing choice for me.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

j420LAM.gif
we love a comeback story

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say, the main characters of King of Fighters look awfully dull, but a Metal Slug character could be interested. Bowser Jr.-style, with several different drivers to choose between

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
they won't add snk by error. the more logical explanation is they haven't copy pasted the others yet.

Ehh, you're speaking with a lot of confidence, but it sounds more like you've never worked with a CMS system before. It's very possible that someone pasted the wrong information in the wrong field. This kind of human-error is a lot more common than it might seem.

Maybe it's legit, maybe it's not, but saying "the more logical explanation" to something that isn't more logical at all is a mediocre excuse tbh

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love her and think she'd be a great addition, I just can't see any female fighting game character getting in before Chun-Li.
I love the idea that female reps have to form some sort of queue to get in, but male reps can just barge their way in willy-nilly. Following this logic Joker wouldn't have been allowed in before Hero.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
I love the idea that female reps have to form some sort of queue to get in, but male reps can just barge their way in willy-nilly. Following this logic Joker wouldn't have been allowed in before Hero.

I completely agree with you, it's ridiculous how unaware Sakurai seems to be in regards to the lack of female representation. But he doesn't seem too woke in that regard, he'd rather give an unearned spot to a character like Joker than think "oh maybe I should have some diversity in my game". As a gay man I already have my issues with him pushing problematic shit like Persona and DQ music into a series I love, but Sakurai is just another straight dude who has no reason to think about things like that.

Geno

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thessaloniki
Not going to say SNK doesn't deserve a character but as a huge Tekken fan it feels bad to get all these fighting game characters before a Tekken one, and since we probably won't get another FG character, I hope the last one is actually Jill.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Not going to say SNK doesn't deserve a character but as a huge Tekken fan it feels bad to get all these fighting game characters before a Tekken one, and since we probably won't get another FG character, I hope the last one is actually Jill.
But the series that killed Tekken's chances isn't from SNK, but fellow Bamco series The iDOLM@STER.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I completely agree with you, it's ridiculous how unaware Sakurai seems to be in regards to the lack of female representation. But he doesn't seem too woke in that regard, he'd rather give an unearned spot to a character like Joker than think "oh maybe I should have some diversity in my game". As a gay man I already have my issues with him pushing problematic shit like Persona and DQ music into a series I love, but Sakurai is just another straight dude who has no reason to think about things like that.
I mean, I think the female rep problem is more of a symptom of a broader problem in the industry

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
people need to relax and realize that not every character is going to be for you. I think Terry or Kyo would be pretty boring picks, and while it is very on point..I find Ryu/Ken a chore to play with lol. BUT if their inclusion makes others happy then thats all that matters.

There are over 70+ characters in the game my peeps......its not that serious lol

Exactly. I'm not thrilled about an SNK character myself but that's completely fine. Expecting all 5 Fighter's Pass characters to appeal to your taste was a ridiculous expectation to begin with. That was always unlikely. Let other people have their fun.
And besides, the Fighter's Pass isn't done yet. Who knows, maybe Fighter #5 is your dream character. Judging by the rest of the pass, if there's one thing these choices are is that they're hard to predict.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Insane how evidence towards a new character reveal leads to a thread with this number of pages and posts. Only with Smash Bros. lol.

But seriously, the Fighters Pass is really bringing with it some incredible representation.

You cannot ignore the uniqueness of these inclusions with Persona 5, Dragon Quest, Banjo-Kazooie and now an SNK rep. The 5th fighter announcement will definitely be interesting if this pattern continues.

Edit: While on the topic, only Banjo-Kazooie has really got me excited so far (and in general was the happiest I had been with a reveal since, especially, Sonic in Brawl and Ridley in Ultimate). But I appreciate that other characters will be more exciting for different audiences.

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Unearned?" Please.
Yep. And I don't think Sakurai should get a pass. I don't think he gets called out enough for his apathetic attitude towards these things.
And what pray tell do you think he should have done?

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love her and think she'd be a great addition, I just can't see any female fighting game character getting in before Chun-Li.
Why would they bar themselves from including a female SNK character just because Chun-Li isn't in the game?

I mean, I think the female rep problem is more of a symptom of a broader problem in the industry
This only sweeps potential solutions under the rug. It's not like they're out of options.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
If it had to be a main SNK rep, I'd sooner have Terry or Iori over Kyo, but Kyo makes the most sense.

I've always hated Nakoruru, and I'm baffled as to why she is so popular, so her being in would do nothing for me.

The Metal Slug gang (maybe even Ralf, Clark and Leona too) would be my go to picks. Tarma would make a great training dummy.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Nakoruru would also be an ethnic minority inclusion in Smash which would be cool for diversity.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Ehh, you're speaking with a lot of confidence, but it sounds more like you've never worked with a CMS system before. It's very possible that someone pasted the wrong information in the wrong field. This kind of human-error is a lot more common than it might seem.

Maybe it's legit, maybe it's not, but saying "the more logical explanation" to something that isn't more logical at all is a mediocre excuse tbh

The Hero and Joker pages have their copyrights by themselves. It's very likely legit and an early leak.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Out of all of them, I hope it's Nakoruru. I first played Samurai Showdown from the SNK collection from humble bundle over a year ago, and she was my favorite character there.

I honestly had no idea she was popular until this thread though. Gives her a good chance then!

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I get the impression if someone told Sakurai "hey, we should add more women to the game," he'd be like "oh, yeah, sure" and come up with some ideas, but he's not going to be the one driving that idea and he's going to gravitate to a combination of the most popular series/characters and whatever else tickles his fancy... which just happen to end up being male characters.

I'm basically 99% sure this SNK character will be either Terry or Kyo, and maybe fighter 5 will add a female character, but I'm not holding my breath. It's definitely a legitimate complaint if Kazooie is the only female character on the Pass, and I love Kazooie, and she's great, but yeah, it's not the same as a fully independent character.

I think it would be nice if there was a feedback form you could leave on the Fighters Pass after it's done. I'd definitely mention the lack of female characters, assuming #5 isn't one... but that's basically an informal Smash Ballot and Sakurai has said he doesn't want to do that again.

It's a tough spot and the most glaring issue on the Fighters Pass so far. Maybe we'll get a female character... maybe not. I would wager most people who want to buy the Fighters Pass have by now, so Nintendo's already got their money anyway.

Bowling Pin

One Winged Slayer
Dec 9, 2017
Typically, games and series in Smash are represented by a lead protagonist, with popular supporting characters coming afterward. SNK's most likely lead protagonists are Athena, the God Slayer from Crystalis, Marco, Terry, Ryo, Haohmaru, Kyo, and Rock. I'm leaning on Kyo.

I'm wondering if the character could actually be a team of three KOF characters, like Pokemon Trainer? The Japan Team of Kyo/Benimaru/Goro, or the Sacred Treasures team of Kyo/Iori/Chizuru, or the protagonist team of Kyo/Terry/Ryo?

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
If it was going to be a character from one of their fighting games I'd want it to be King even though she'd be well down the back of the line on that front. Smash needs more big futch energy

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
People, the correct choice is Athena and the trailer will feature the song "Psycho Soldier"—it will be gaming's greatest moment.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai does really have a tendency to do the most interesting stuff at the beggining and middle of the showings, then leave the most meh stuff as end surprises who knows the fuck why, so this wouldnt surprise me.

Terry Bogard or Mai would be boring as fucking hell, so at least I hope is the Metal Slug cast. That at least, would be incredibly fun. And i dont mean only one character from metal slug. Just do like hero and do everyone.
The music, the stage in 3d, put the dicatator and his troops... that would be fucking great. This are characters that 99% of thw time are pixelart, so seeing them in all the 3d cartoon modelling of smash splendeour would be amazing.

Im sure is sadly terry or mai (something tells me is mai because theres hasnt been a female character in the dlc apart from kazooie and that comes im a pack). Thank god i did the wise thing and didnt bought the season pass. Thats for sure.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I could not be less excited for the DLC pack. Beside Banjo these are such meh choices. They're like the roster of Sony All Stars in that they feel like marketing stunts rather than organic choices chosen from platform history.
Jesus Christ man. Dragon Quest and fucking SNK. And you think that fucking Banjo is more deserving that those. Dragon fucking Quest the father of JRPG and fucking SNK, if it wasn't for that company you wouldn't even play Smash, jesus.
What's the last SNK Nintendo exclusive? That Heroines fighting games?
Yeah you know, loooong looooooong time ago, in that old forgotten year of 2018.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Typically, games and series in Smash are represented by a lead protagonist, with popular supporting characters coming afterward. SNK's most likely lead protagonists are Athena, the God Slayer from Crystalis, Marco, Terry, Ryo, Haohmaru, Kyo, and Rock. I'm leaning on Kyo.

I'm wondering if the character could actually be a team of three KOF characters, like Pokemon Trainer? The Japan Team of Kyo/Benimaru/Goro, or the Sacred Treasures team of Kyo/Iori/Chizuru, or the protagonist team of Kyo/Terry/Ryo?

A team would be really cool.
I can't remember the specific team name, but Kyo/Iori/Shingo from XI would be cool.