• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I think the fans could help Nintendo to fix those errors by writing more feedbacks to Nintendo and branches of Nintendo to demands more diversity and genders as main characters and also keep nagging them on social media. They will eventually slowly adapt and keep those requests in their minds, as it evidently worked with Animal Crossing, Splatoon and Ring Con Main characters. Just don't give up on your goals until they eventually recognize their errors and probably adds more diversity through main protagonists then future Smash Bros could induce them in their roster.

I myself would love to see more diverse characters in Smash Bros but I kept getting choked when I look at main protagonists only; so their best chances to have PoC in the roster is Skyward Swords Impa, Ring Con Trainer, Urbosa, double inclusion of Spring Man and Twintelle, and Elma.

Would love to see Urbosa getting in tho since her design is pretty awesome.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I realize that Japanese characters in a Japanese game don't necessarily make things more diverse, but I'm concerned as to why this post presumably categorizes so many of the fantasy characters as white. Link, Shulk, etc. aren't white, they're Japanese, by virtue of being created by Japanese people.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I realize that Japanese characters in a Japanese game don't necessarily make things more diverse, but I'm concerned as to why this post presumably categorizes so many of the fantasy characters as white. Link, Shulk, etc. aren't white, they're Japanese, by virtue of being created by Japanese people.

White passing then?

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I get what you are saying but I also don't. If you want to point out the lack of pocs in games in general then I agree but maybe don't do it in defense of Smash, because all it does is discourage the voices of the people who would agree with you.

Edit: it comes off as "Don't pick on the game I like!"

We should be this consistent with the industry as a whole. Smash isn't making up characters, they are pulling from the most popular Eastern franchises in the genre which are overwhelmingly White and Asian (and animal creature thingies)

People will harp on OW for not having a black female character yet which they should but completely let the rest of the industry go unchecked. At most, these franchises give us a token person of color that isn't the face of the franchise then people scratch their heads when companies use the white main star to represent the game. It's not really hard to deduce the problem here.

May 13, 2019

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Check out this Japanese man.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Which, while appreciated, aren't the default. They aren't the main versions of the characters you see in marketing, Amiibos, or even the character select screen. And while the Gerudo have been around for years, Urbosa is one of the rare instances where Nintendo put emphasis on her. Twintelle is very clearly supposed to be black. And while Elma's case is more ambiguous, she's actually a main character.

I don't really see Sakurai getting worried about the marketing angle. He includes a character and gives them a gender option if it's possible.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
That would be because Spring Man is the mascot for ARMS and he's already an assist trophy.

This breaks the most important rule in Smash, which is "Sakurai doesn't care about the rules."

If Nintendo/Sakurai want an Arms rep, and they think Twintelle is the most popular/marketable, they'll gladly put her in before Spring Man, even if he is the mascot.

This isn't even a Smash-only thing – fans of every genre always make up these unbreakable rules and then get surprised when the creator ignores them on a whim.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
This is not how it works. At all.

Is Mario Japanese?

I mean that's arguable

but this describes it better than I ever could: https://www.google.com/amp/s/kotaku.com/why-do-japanese-characters-look-white-5627268/amp

the presence of such hair colors on these characters doesn't really mean much. Naruto Uzumaki is blue eyed with blond hair, but he's still Japanese. It's one thing if it's Simon Belmont living in Europe or Terry Bogard froma city in America, but the worlds Shulk, Link, and Samus are from aren't part of ours. They're Japanese.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
This breaks the most important rule in Smash, which is "Sakurai doesn't care about the rules."

If Nintendo/Sakurai want an Arms rep, and they think Twintelle is the most popular/marketable, they'll gladly put her in before Spring Man, even if he is the mascot.

Over 30 series have playable characters in Smash Bros. and they're all represented by their main characters. Sure, there's "no rules", but it's clear Sakurai wants to focus on adding main characters before anyone else.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017

This isn't even a Smash-only thing – fans of every genre always make up these unbreakable rules and then get surprised when the creator ignores them on a whim.

Sakurai is very consistent about prioritizing the poster boy of a series.

So much that not including Chrom in SSB4 was one of his biggest regrets. He didn't need to make him playable since they already had the other two Awakening poster children in the game, but he still did. That's arguably Ultimate's most controversial addition, caused by Sakurai wanting to stick to a principle.

Also, it's likely he would include Ribbon Girl alongside Spring Man since she's the other mascot of the game.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean that's arguable

but this describes it better than I ever could: https://www.google.com/amp/s/kotaku.com/why-do-japanese-characters-look-white-5627268/amp

the presence of such hair colors on these characters doesn't really mean much. Naruto Uzumaki is blue eyed with blond hair, but he's still Japanese. It's one thing if it's Simon Belmont living in Europe or Terry Bogard froma city in America, but the worlds Shulk, Link, and Samus are from aren't part of ours. They're Japanese.
Shulk, Link, and Samus are not Japanese. They are very clearly based on Western ethnicities/origins. Hyrule isn't Japan. "Japanese" isn't the default for these characters when it's not explicitly defined.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

The only rules Sakurai commented on in some form are "must originate from a video game" & "can't be region-exclusive". The protagonists-first thing is something, while not officially stated, that Sakurai has stuck by for every new franchise added to Smash (sometimes to a fault, hence the roster's issues with women & people of color). His rigidness regarding this mindset is part of the problem. So as stated earlier, I agree that he should loosen up.

Shawn Carter

Banned
Sep 24, 2019
Sakurai is very consistent about prioritizing the poster boy of a series.

So much that not including Chrom in SSB4 was one of his biggest regrets. He didn't need to make him playable since they already had the other two Awakening poster children in the game, but he still did.

Also, it's likely he would include Ribbon Girl alongside Spring Man since she's the other mascot of the game.
lol the team really just throws shit at the wall at points. I have no faith in who they include or why so getting this deep into it seems pointless.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

I think Twintelle should've been the face of Arms.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I mean here's a chart someone in the Smash thread made of some speculated potential characters.
SMASH-Character-Speculation-Sep-2019.png

It's an unfortunate problem in the industry that prominent main characters(aka the ones likely to get in Smash) aren't often PoC. Like the only one that I could think of to add to this list would be Shantae.
I certainly didn't mean any harm when doing this. Of course I noticed the result and the lack of PoC when I got everything done, but I guess its just the consequences of constant brought names. :\

and I certainly would love more characters like Impa and Urbosa in Smash indeed, but this was made in another context; being not yet represented franchises in Smash from various companies. Nintendo own's catalogue of characters should be able to fix this issue alone.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I certainly didn't mean no harm when doing this. Of course I noticed the result and the lack of PoC when I got everything done, but I guess its just the consequences of constant brought names. :\

and I certainly would love more characters like Impa and Urbosa in Smash indeed, but this was made in another context; being not yet represented franchises in Smash from various companies. Nintendo own's catalogue of characters should be able to fix this issue alone.
Oh I wasn't trying to shame you, sorry if you took it that way. I want several characters on there myself. It was more just pointing out the lack of PoC in general in regards to gaming characters likely to get in Smash. Like I said the only third party on I can think of is Shantae.

First party characters could help but I'm not expecting many of those t be DLC besides a couple.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Shulk, Link, and Samus are not Japanese. They are very clearly based on Western ethnicities/origins. Hyrule isn't Japan.

Hyrule is a fantasy world, and the presence of groups like the Sheikah in Hyrule proper kind of undermine the notion that it's "based on Western origins". Hyrule also has people of varying skin colors throughout the setting in BOTW.

It's a fantasy land, and the presence of European elements in it are because the setting derives heavily from general fantasy tropes. But the majority of its audience in its country of creation are going to see Link as being Japanese like them, and that's not insignificant.

Same goes for Samus and Shulk.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The model for a playable character is much more detailed than an assist trophy, so I think saying 'update a bit' is downplaying the work needed slightly. I'm not sure Impa should replaced Shiek, but adding her alongside as an echo would mean its not just the same three characters we've had since melee.

Like I said, you can put Smash 4 Dark Samus side to side with regular Samus, and the only discernible visual difference you're going to get is a lower-res textures. In terms of movements and animations she was completely rigged to fit into almost all of Samus' animations (sans some moves like Charge Shot). The glow-up she got going into Ultimate is really not that different from the glow-ups most characters got, the new textures and lighting engine alone would probably mean updating her to be an Echo incredibly easy.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
We should be this consistent with the industry as a whole. Smash isn't making up characters, they are pulling from the most popular Eastern franchises in the genre which are overwhelmingly White and Asian.

People will harp on OW for not having a black female character yet which they should buy completely let the rest of the industry go unchecked. At most, these franchises give us a token person of color that isn't the face of the franchise then people scratch their heads when companies use the white main star to represent the game. It's not really hard to deduce the problem here.

People are gonna harp on the things they care for first and foremost though. It's the nature of well, everything. I agree that people should be more consistent but it seems at the moment people are hesitant to even add "tokens" as you say - and I think they might be a bigger problem here tbh. There is always some excuse to not have a POC in a game in a leading role - or in this case just on the damn roster (the market, history, main characters/etc). I'm not saying that we should get like one black person in everything and call it a day. I'm not saying that this shouldn't be talked about more - in fact I want there to be tons of black people in games, I want there to be tons of brown people in games and I want them to be reflective of the vast personalities and character types that exist in the world over. (I also want people to stop giving Japanese Devs a pass on this - especially Nintendo, there is no good reason they can't make a dark skinned MC)

I don't see how what you are doing helps the case at all. People demanding more representation shouldn't be discouraged or mocked on account of not demanding it of the whole industry, each and every time they complain. That's just counterproductive.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Oh I wasn't trying to shame you, sorry if you took it that way. I want several characters on there myself. It was more just pointing out the lack of PoC in general in regards to gaming characters likely to get in Smash. Like I said the only third party on I can think of is Shantae.

First party characters could help but I'm not expecting many of those t be DLC besides a couple.
no problem! and yeah, I personally think they're done with Nintendo owned characters/franchises for the rest of Ultimate, but there's always a little bit of hope for everyone until DLC is truly completed.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Over 30 series have playable characters in Smash Bros. and they're all represented by their main characters. Sure, there's "no rules", but it's clear Sakurai wants to focus on adding main characters before anyone else.

That's a preference, and one that makes sense 99% of the time. But, considering the amount of fan created rules Sakurai has broken over the years, it's absolutely conceivable he'd make a different choice for Arms, where Twintelle is clearly the more popular, marketable and identifiable of the two. There's no other franchise in Smash where something like that would apply.

I'm not saying it will happen, and I wouldn't be surprised if Spring Man did get the pick over her, but the fact that, on Era , any discussion of Twintelle gets automatically shut down by the entirely fan-made unbreakable mascot rule is absurd.

Last edited:

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
I think Twintelle should've been the face of Arms.

She probably will never be. The vast majority of ARMS's characters have those distinct spring-like arms, which is something only her and Mechanica don't have.

Min Min would probably become this before her anyway. I believe she won the popularity tournament or whatever.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean that's arguable

This is such a bad take lmao.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hyrule is a fantasy world, and the presence of groups like the Sheikah in Hyrule proper kind of undermine the notion that it's "based on Western origins". Hyrule also has people of varying skin colors throughout the setting in BOTW.

It's a fantasy land, and the presence of European elements in it are because the setting derives heavily from general fantasy tropes. But the majority of its audience in its country of creation are going to see Link as being Japanese like them, and that's not insignificant.

This logic falls apart when the setting has a blatant Japanese analogue like the Shiekah, Wutai, Hoshido, etc. Which the main characters are not a part of.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I was talking to my fiancé who is white and a big Zelda fan that I never got into Zelda as much as a kid because of how western and white the characters looked. I didn't connect with them. I'm not Japanese but I'm still Asian and I tended to lean toward more Asian characters.

This is just my anecdotal experience thoufh

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
From Fire Emblem Warriors onwards, Female Corrin is treated as the main one.
And yet for some reason people keep insisting on he/him in this thread in spite of Male Corrin being nowhere near as popular anyway (idle nitpicking when both are still ultimately official I know, but I'm bored between tourney stream breaks).

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's a preference, and one that makes senses 99% of the time. But, considering the amount of fan created rules Sakurai has broken over the years, it's absolutely conceivable he'd make a different choice for Arms, where Twintelle is clearly the more popular, marketable and identifiable of the two. There's no other franchise in Smash where something like that would apply.

I'm not saying it will happen, and I wouldn't be surprised if Spring Man did get the pick over her, but the fact that, one Era , any discussion of Twintelle gets automatically shut down by the entirely fan-made unbreakable mascot rule is absurd.

I mean, even if you want to make the popularity argument, it still wouldn't be twintelle. Min-min won the arms popularity competition, not her.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, you can put Smash 4 Dark Samus side to side with regular Samus, and the only discernible visual difference you're going to get is a lower-res textures. In terms of movements and animations she was completely rigged to fit into almost all of Samus' animations (sans some moves like Charge Shot). The glow-up she got going into Ultimate is really not that different from the glow-ups most characters got, the new textures and lighting engine alone would probably mean updating her to be an Echo incredibly easy.
I'm not sure if I can link to a particular site that houses model resources, but Ultimate's Dark Samus was 100% created from scratch. It's not a "glow-up" -- there's literally no shared geometry or art between the Smash 4 and Ultimate Dark Samus models. There's a lot of geometric overlap between the playable Smash 4 and Ultimate models (regular Samus, for example), but that's actually not the case at all for Dark Samus.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
This logic falls apart when the setting has a blatant Japanese analogue like the Shiekah, Wutai, Hoshido, etc. Which the main characters are not a part of.

The Sheikah have been inconsistently portrayed as to whether or not they are merely a group of reclusive Hylians or another ethnic group entirely throughout the series, with BOTW being the one that presents the strongest case for the latter. Nevertheless, their being more strongly Japanese coded doesn't make those other characters white, for all the same reasons as the ones given in that Kotaku article I linked.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if I can link to a particular site that houses model resources, but Ultimate's Dark Samus was 100% created from scratch. It's not a "glow-up" -- there's literally no shared geometry or art between the Smash 4 and Ultimate Dark Samus models.
I haven't checked Ultimate's models in a hot minute, but last I remember this was the case for a lot of models. Sakurai mentioned it in several interviews iirc that almost nothing was reused, Ryu's model in Ultimate for instance was largely remade from scratch as well, in fact one of the reasons the old Ken leak was proven as true was because it matched very non-widespread fact that Ryu's polycount (and a good deal of Smash Ultimate models) had been lowered going into Ultimate, so Dark Samus not sharing much with the Smash 4 model wouldn't be that surprising. Point being they still had a completely ready reference model to work off of that was still ultimately done via convenience, which wouldn't apply to characters like Impa.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I mean, even if you want to make the popularity argument, it still wouldn't be twintelle. Min-min won the arms popularity competition, not her.
Party Crashes are basically ARMS's Splatfest, which are equal parts popularity & skill. To use Splatoon 2 as an example, Marina is clearly the more popular OtH member. But said popularity was to her detriment, as she lost most of the Splatfests. It was to the point where Nintendo restructured how Splatfests work.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Samus only appears in two games and a cameo, so that is not much more. SS is also the most recent version of young Impa, so they would probably consider her first before looking to older versions. I doubt the spirit choice really matters also, especially since the Impa spirit was used to guard Zelda in the OoT section of World of Light.

SS is 8 years old at this point, and not particularly well regarded. The Metroid Prime games are certainly more well regarded. Fairly or not, if they ever add Impa, I'd think OoT Impa would be the clear stand-out.

J_b

Banned
Apr 11, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Troll Account
Forcing Diversity for the sake of...diversity is never a good thing. The reality is, the smash roster is already pretty diverse, from Mice that can talk, to Gods, and Mute Elves to Space Animals and Bounty Hunters. Sure, adding Shante would be cool, and im not against that but I'm not really sure how you could look at a game with what, almost 80 characters and complain about diversity

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
lol is OP counting all the fire emblem characters as white?
basically anyone with light skin = white?

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
As a PoC I don't have a problem with it.

That being said I wouldn't object to have more diversity

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Smash doesn't have a roster like Street Fighter or Tekken that can just make up whoever they want.
Smash mostly invites main characters from other games. So the problem is the industry at large.