• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I only ever played Brawl online once, and yeah, it was pretty terrible iirc but this is on a whole other level. This actually gave me anxiety.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I remember that vividly. It doesn't excuse the flaws in Ultimate's online (at all), but damn, that was unbearable.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Even on the best connection, online Brawl had significant input lag. It was really terrible.

Smash 4 was such an improvement in comparison, but it still had issues when connections were not optimal.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
The players don't actually see that, it's actually just some levers and pulleys moving around

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I played Brawl online only twice. First time I thought it was just my opponent's connection, second time I knew everything was fucked.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of my matches in Utimate looked almost as bad lmao. Was an outlier though. Still wondering on what kind of god forsaken connection they played.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I don't remember ever actually playing Brawl online vs randoms. As far as I'm concerned, Brawl didn't even have online without friends.

I did play online with my friends, and that was generally okay. But we lived close by.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
lol back in the day I played Brawl online all the time, it wasn't as bad as you are all making it out to be.

It was tougher and a lot of people used the USB Wi-fi connection, but it was playable, and you could still get good matches in.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
So who won?

Speaking seriously though, yeah, I remember it being terrible on Brawl and Budakai Tenkaichi 3. Only games that I didn't have a horrible time with was Mario Kart Wii and Monster Hunter Tri.

Although, I did suffer from random disconnection on Mario Kart occasionally, sometimes being right before I would win a match which would be infuriating.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
One of the most inexcusably bad online modes put into any game ever. It literally didn't work.

Smash 4 and Ultimate have a lot of problems with their online modes, but at least they aren't...Brawl.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brawl online was the worst MP I have ever played. It was unbelievably shit.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It really was like that sometimes.

And it was -never- good. Only somewhere between tolerable and fucking horrendous

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Brawl's random matches were literally unplayable.

People remembering "decent" matches are probably remembering playing private matches with friends who live in the same town. Even with those conditions, I don't remember them being fun.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, it was horrible. With friends it was okay but I nearly never played with randoms

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
That waiting area music tho.
Thankfully that song is in Ultimate's sound test.

And yeah, I remember being excited because Brawl was the first Smash to have online, only to buy it day one and being very disappointed with the online.
At least the game had lots of great single player content.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
People are probably looking at that and thinking "it wouldn't be like the if they had a wired connection".

If you plugged that directly into the heart of the internet, it wouldn't run much better.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Mario Kart Wii came out right around the same time as Brawl and had great online

I kind of get the feeling, with Brawl, that online play wasn't something they put much of a priority on.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Brawl online was even terrible with an optimal connection. There was always heavy input delay. Didn't matter too much though. Brawl was a terrible game with a lot of good fanservice as it's only redeeming quality anyway.

Smash Ultimate runs almost perfect 95% of the time as long as both opponents have a good (wired) connection. Ultimate's biggest online problem isn't """"netcode"""", it's the shitty wireless receiver built into the Switch and that most people use that instead of a wired connection (or a well setup 5ghz wireless one).

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Mario Kart Wii came out right around the same time as Brawl and had great online

I kind of get the feeling, with Brawl, that online play wasn't something they put much of a priority on.
It's far easier to create satisfying online play for a kart racer than it is a pseudoplatformer slash fighting game

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I remember it vividly. One of the many reasons why Brawl is probably the worst disappointment I've had in a highly anticipated game.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017

Sakurai's vision for Smash has always been a game where you and your friends get together on a couch and play locally.

Unfortunately, online play has never been a super big priority for him. This is why he includes all these neat features for local multiplayer like Squad Strike, Stage Morph, etc and yet when you get online, most of those features just disappear.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Brawl gave smash online a bad name. It was better off not existing so it didn't taint the future games.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant

It's always been the odd thing, Nintendo's done serviceable-to-good netcode in other games but seemingly have not applied that wisdom to Smash.

Now, the netcode's improved drastically, from only a handful of matches being playable in Brawl to only a handful being unplayable in For, to Ultimate being mostly smooth with a bit of stuttering (favoring to drop the connection rather than trying to struggle with it, which is a mercy compared to Brawl and For), but it still seems oddly backwards compared to Mario Kart or Splatoon.

The weird one, which still endures in Ultimate, is how the match can lag even before anyone can possibly enter any inputs, during the pre-match countdown. Is it just the connection trying to force the sync between systems?

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't ever want to hear that waiting room music ever again. I remember being like, oh boy, first time ever playing Smash online!!! And then just sitting there in purgatory mindlessly jumping around until it finally gave a matchup.

Had some games that weren't that laggy, but even those weren't great or anything.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I only ever played Brawl online once, and yeah, it was pretty terrible iirc but this is on a whole other level. This actually gave me anxiety.

This brought back some memories. I think the only times I had a match with no real lag that run as you'd expect was when I played 1 vs 1, no items in Final Destination against a friend that lived on the same city as me. Entering a 4 player match against a bunch of randos was always a shitshow, not always as bad as that video but it could get that bad sometimes for sure.