• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Would it blow your mind if I told you that I've been in the community for a while and know plenty of socially progressive people who've been much more involved for a much longer time who do care? It's not really a small community.

no, that wouldn't blow my mind at all.

and we need those people to keep doing what they are doing.

Oct 25, 2017
no, that wouldn't blow my mind at all.

and we need those people to keep doing what they are doing.
I agree! That's why I brought that up in the first place.

Dismissing the community as a cesspool of toxic masculinity, while not completely untrue, also does nothing to change it. There's a lot of people that work really hard behind the scenes to make these communities safer for women and minorities.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Did you watch the video? I think the blame lies on Zero for not bringing it up in the video.

Big sponsors have been on the scene since like 2013, people don't use vernacular like "getting raped" anymore. Really the scene has been pretty good about removing problem players (harassers and transphobes) whenever they're exposed. Overall the scene is pretty darn inclusive at this point though I'm sure there's tons of room for improvement.

Didnt watch the video no, sorry wasn't trying to imply that I did

The scene certainly has changed for the better but for someone whos been around as long as I have, that shit leaves a very bad taste. Sucks too cause at the time I was thinking of stepping into the competitive side of things but didn't want anything to do with that culture back then. Instead I just did my thing with the art and managed to add to the scene in my own way

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
The doc itself pretty old at this point, and the sections you are referring to are probably clips from even earlier. Times have changed for the better.

100% thats why I said that scene, didn't mean to imply in general apologies. The old insular and toxic discourse still has many roots into today esp when we are discussing the people from that scene. In general video game fandom has come a long way in a short time.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I really care what Zero has to say about cancel culture, I'm gonna be honest.

Seems like you forgot a few:
Reason 5 - Sexually harassing women at Smash events, plus having a history of infidelity.

Reason 6 - Lots of personal anecdotes from community members who describe him as being rude and needlessly confrontational.

Reason 7 - Posting a selfie with Milo Yiannopoulos when his white supremacist politics were already well known. Pretty sure Milo had already outed himself as a pedophile at that point too but I could be wrong. Of course, Hbox's excuse was that "anyone would want to take a selfie with a celebrity" so it's totally cool.

Yeah people seem to forget its not just the character choice and Zero doesn't go into those details. Ultimately this thread is just supporting Zero's clickbaity videos.

I agree! That's why I brought that up in the first place.

Dismissing the community as a cesspool of toxic masculinity, while not completely untrue, also does nothing to change it. There's a lot of people that work really hard behind the scenes to make these communities safer for women and minorities.

That's nothing new in this forum and you just have to kind of accept that's how it goes, I think. It very quickly turns into "fuck everyone who plays this game".

Last edited: