• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you like more

• Super Sentai

Votes: 43 64.2%
  • Power Rangers

Votes: 24 35.8%

• Total voters

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
All right, a good clash between East and West

super_sentai_40th_anniversary__goranger_zyuohger__by_blakehunter_d9q3rwd-fullview.jpg

wp2699856.jpg

Sentai led to the adaptation of Rangers, which became popular in its own right. So overall, what do you like more and why? What does things better, etc

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Super Sentai, especially in recent years where even for PR the writing has gotten garbage

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
While Sentai has more varied costumes, themes and monsters, I have to give it to Power Rangers.

It's probably mostly nostalgia, but I really have enjoyed watching essentially every single PR series over the past two years (my middle son is obsessed)

sentai is more varied in HOW they finish off monsters (PR ends with the "megazord" 90% of the time vs sentai actually using their alternate weapons/smaller zords), andI can see why others like their themes more.

but when sentai has a "bummer" season, PR just skips it and goes To something else (like adapting a previously not brought over season).

but I like the casts more with PR, more varied (for almost exclusively teenagers) non-costumed characters.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I mean PR is a kiddie kids show, so wouldn't expect quality writing
also, to like a japanese viewer, isn't Sentai as dumb to them as PR is to us
Sentai is a kiddie show, but they try to respect your intelligence. Victor and Monty insulted everyone

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
This thread reminded me to check of more History of Power Rangers episodes were out.

Nope.

Gengahrrr

Oct 25, 2017
Mighty Morphin has aged terribly. Knowing where all the edits were made and what originally should be there after watching some Sentai clips, just makes it glaringly obvious how cobbled together it was.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I had the biggest crush on Kira Ford/Emma Lahana but I'm going with Super Sentai because Kyuranger was just too much fun.

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
While I have immense nostalgia for PR (mainly up until In Space ended), Super Sentai is much more watchable to me now. Its basically live action anime whereas some of the older PR are unwatchable beyond nolstalgic value.

Aug 13, 2019
Out of the two, Kamen Rider. If I really have to choose, Super Sentai. There's just something incredibly offputting about PR as I age. I can still mostly watch the stuff from my childhood, but the new stuff stuck irks the fuck outta me, even if I like a few of the original ideas they have. I can't stand the newer seasons of Super Sentai either, but I'm able to tolerate it longer. I'd have probably been able to tolerate Kiramager longer if the zords and combinations didn't suck. At least the next season looks pretty cool.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Power Rangers for sure. Ive enjoyed more Rangers than I have sentai. That said, the neo Saban Era really soured my opinion on Power Rangers. There's no reason the show isn't better than it currently is. Granted Beast Morphers is the best this show has been in a while, it still can use improvement.

None of those but if you were looking for something similar there is The Disney Brain.

Disney brain is fantastic.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
PR hasn't had a really good season since RPM, and before that it wasn't exactly doing amazing things mostly just copying whatever the Sentai it was based on did during the disney years. That's essentially what happens now too with the Nick seasons.

Sentai is just a better show if youre looking for live action spandex clad heroes. The story is better in every case in the last decade and some of those Sentai seasons were straight up bad like Zyuohger.

Gurongi Tribe from Kuuga too. They're basically a serial killer cult.
Yeah KR will always be the true Toku champion imo. All of the early heisei seasons had very brutal enemies

Oct 30, 2017
I'll begrudgingly choose Sentai, but that's because Ultraman isn't on the list. Or any of the Metal Heroes or Space Sheriffs.

I think the last Sentai series I saw the bulk of was Gokaiger when my kids were little.

I think I was either in high school or college when PR started. I'd watch it with my younger siblings just to see all the Japanese fight scenes. Even moreso with VR Troopers.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Sentai for its bright future:
131486761_10216244848912254_3242726846837438748_n.jpg

Out of the two, Kamen Rider. If I really have to choose, Super Sentai. There's just something incredibly offputting about PR as I age. I can still mostly watch the stuff from my childhood, but the new stuff stuck irks the fuck outta me, even if I like a few of the original ideas they have. I can't stand the newer seasons of Super Sentai either, but I'm able to tolerate it longer. I'd have probably been able to tolerate Kiramager longer if the zords and combinations didn't suck. At least the next season looks pretty cool.
Yeah I stopped watching early-mid Lu vs Pat and only kept up from a far for Ryusoul and Kira but this next season has me very intrigued. Last time they went hard for an anniversary we got Gokai and that still had yet to be topped.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I have affection for both, but I do honestly have more nostalgia for Power Rangers and respect that they built a running narrative for it for a while.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
PR fucking butchered Gokaiger, turn kakurangers into aliens and Dairangers never got the chance.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Neither are flawless, but the best Sentai I've seen are definitely better than the best Power Rangers.

Power Rangers for me has gotten particularly bad since the Neo Saban era, I really tried to enjoy Megaforce/Super, and Dino Charge but man was it hard to make it through episodes even while only half paying attention.

I'm well aware I'm not the target audience but I can definitely go back and watch a Saban/Disney era series and at least find something redeeming about it (except Operation Overdrive).

Though to be fair I haven't gotten into a Sentai since Kyuranger, and even with that it was just fun, I couldn't tell you what the hell was going on most of the time. I'll get back to the franchise eventually, hopefully Zenkaiger pulls me in.

Kamen Rider is where it's at right now though.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
I loved Dino Thunder and MM, and I liked Ninja Storm, Jungle Fury, and SPD, but I was younger.
First time I watched a Sentai or Kamen Rider I was older, and even though I'm not in the target age group I liked them a lot. I don't know how I'd feel about any of the Power Rangers If I was older the first time I watched them. I think only Dino Thunder would keep up

Oct 27, 2017
Power Rangers can be both delightfully cheesy, and surprisingly deep, especially if we're including the comics. I also really like the 27 year continuity that Power Rangers has built up. It's pretty amazing that a goofy kids show has so much lore that it requires that I watch decades of material to get some plot points.

I've never been able to get into the Sentai. Something about it doesn't click with me. Every once in a while I try it again, but I guess it's just not for me.