• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm looking to finally pull the trigger on the Super NT. Just wanted to check if I need anything extra for power supply? I'm in the UK.
Just a plug adapter, the PSU is worldwide but it ships with a Type A (US, Canada, Japan, etc) plug. Or you could use a USB port on your TV if it supplies 2 amps. I've read it can be powered with less, but I'd stick with the supplied 2A plug if given the option especially if you plan to use a SD2SNES and/or one of the 8bitdo wireless controllers.

See the "What's in the box" section under Product Information towards the bottom.
Worldwide USB Power Supply [100-240v, 50/60hz, USA/JPN plug-type]

Last edited:

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Just a plug adapter, the PSU is worldwide but it ships with a Type A (US, Canada, Japan, etc) plug. Or you could use a USB port on your TV if it supplies 2 amps. I've read it can be powered with less, but I'd stick with the supplied 2A plug if given the option especially if you plan to use a SD2SNES and/or one of the 8bitdo wireless controllers.

See the "What's in the box" section under Product Information towards the bottom.

Sorry is that just a UK plug the USB cable can go into or a power converter adapter?

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Sorry is that just a UK plug the USB cable can go into or a power converter adapter?
I was thinking something like below, but I supposed you could use a UK plug that has a USB port as long as it supplies 2A. Maybe someone from the UK can chime in with what they've used. The PSU inside the console is worldwide so you won't need to do any power conversions.

34XF5Ge.jpg

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Thanks. I've ordered mine now anyway and just figured I'd sort it out while I'm waiting but if any UK people do know the answer on what to use then I'd love to hear it!

Also, has anyone preordered the Mega SG yet? I assume they don't take payment until April?

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. I've ordered mine now anyway and just figured I'd sort it out while I'm waiting but if any UK people do know the answer on what to use then I'd love to hear it!

Also, has anyone preordered the Mega SG yet? I assume they don't take payment until April?
Payment was taken at the time of order.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I think what had happened was that it was already updated to the newest firmware when I got it so nothing was happening which made me think it wasnt reading the SD card.

Waiting for my rubbing alcohol to arrive today so I can get to work on these carts. I'm surprised that some of them are having issues running so we'll see if giving them a good clean does anything.

omgkitty

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville
In case anyone was wondering, if you do jailbreak the Ghostly console, it removes the Ghostly boot up and the background. It can be reversed however, according to Analogue:

Added Ghostly Limited Edition firmware fork. If you install this firmware on your Ghostly LE unit, it will be the Ghostly version firmware. If you install this firmware on any non Limited Edition unit, it will install the regular firmware.

Honestly, I actually think Phil Fish's boot up animations are much better than the Ghostly boot up, and this is as someone who is a fan of Ghostly in general.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
How well do repro carts run on the Super NT? I'm trying to keep my collection as original as possible but I have been tempted by games like Tales of Phantasia and Secret of Mana 2 where I could get the english versions.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't understand the point of repro carts. If you're going to buy something non-original then you might as well just use an SD2SNES or the CFW for the Super Nt if it's a non-special chip game.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the point of repro carts. If you're going to buy something non-original then you might as well just use an SD2SNES or the CFW for the Super Nt if it's a non-special chip game.
I have an SD2SNES, but I still buy original carts. /shrugs It's nice having stuff I guess lol.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Read my post again. I said I don't understand the point of REPRO CARTS.
Repro, for games that aren't available. i.e. The competition carts. ;) Those are the only repro carts I've bought. Sometimes people like to have a physical cart in hand, rather than just run off the sd.

Oct 27, 2017

I think the idea is to have a physical cartridge for every game.

Repros certainly seem like taking the long way to get to the game, but isn't purchasing the Super NT a bit in that spirit to begin with?

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
I have considered repros for the translated versions of certain JPN only games. I own Seiken Densetsu 3 on cart for Super Famicom for example, but I can't read Japanese language. A repro would let me play it in english and feel a little less scummy about it.

I don't know? Everyone is different with that sort of thing. It's frustrating that so many great games remained in Japan for the Super NES/Super Famicom. Something like twice as many games as shipped in the US.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I have considered repros for the translated versions of certain JPN only games. I own Seiken Densetsu 3 on cart for Super Famicom for example, but I can't read Japanese language. A repro would let me play it in english and feel a little less scummy about it.

I don't know? Everyone is different with that sort of thing. It's frustrating that so many great games remained in Japan for the Super NES/Super Famicom. Something like twice as many games as shipped in the US.
I'd feel worse paying someone for a ROM than downloading it for free.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I'd feel worse paying someone for a ROM than downloading it for free.
Technically speaking, you're not necessarily paying for a rom. Maybe paying for the burner, pcb, cart case, labor, etc. I guess you could just buy the project hardware yourself and make your own repro carts and it'll be heck of a lot cheaper overall.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
Technically speaking, you're not necessarily paying for a rom. Maybe paying for the burner, pcb, cart case, labor, etc. I guess you could just buy the project hardware yourself and make your own repro carts and it'll be heck of a lot cheaper overall.
Correct. I'd be paying for someone else's work creating a working cartridge that I'm either unable or unwilling to do myself. It's a packaged good, not just a ROM at that point.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Firmware v4.7 was released out of nowhere. Looks like a single change. Not sure what the Game Boy audio bug is, I looked on the issue tracker and didn't find anything. I assume it means Super Game Boy as I don't believe there is anything else Game Boy related.

Worth a shot if anyone was having an issue. No jailbreak version yet.

https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/articles/360000557452-Super-Nt-Firmware-Update-v4-6
v4.7 notes:

- fixes gameboy audio bug
- no other changes

lunch_box

Nov 5, 2017
What settings are people using to get the best looking scanlines?

I'm using 720p60 but can't settle on scanlines thatnlook good to me :(

I'm on 4:3 for 16x9and 4x size. Anyone with some good settings I can try please?

Thanks in advance

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Merry Christmas everyone.

So I finally hooked up my Super NT today and tried out Super Street Fighter 2. Initially wasn't too impressed but turning on scanlines changed everything. Wow.

I'm playing on a 40" Samsung 1080p TV at the moment. I know some people will scream blasphemy, but I really want to play this at full screen without any black bars. Which video setting should I pick? The settings have options for 480p, 720p and 1080p. Then there are options to stretch the picture in the advanced settings, but it doesn't happen in real time. Is there a quick and easy way to get it to fill up the whole screen? It seems I have to choose the settings and then boot the cart, but then I can get back into the settings without rebooting the system. Is there a quicker way to do this? Thanks.

Sebion

Oct 29, 2017
Can anyone explain to me how the "Cheats" work? I tried entering action replay codes, making sure to tick the checkboxes to activate the codes. However, so far I couldn't get it to work.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone explain to me how the "Cheats" work? I tried entering action replay codes, making sure to tick the checkboxes to activate the codes. However, so far I couldn't get it to work.
Pretty sure action replay codes are not supported. The action replay was much more intrusive than devices like the game genie.

Sebion

Oct 29, 2017
Last edited:

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I figured it's best to ask here.

8bitdo only released bluetooth adapters/controllers for the SNES/SNT and no 2.4G controllers right (only for the SNES Classic Mini it seems)?

So how's the lag on the bluetooth controllers? I know their Genesis bluetooth controllers have a lot of lag but what about their SNES controllers?

Deleted member 1627

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are we at a good place with the Jailbreak now? I want to do some Rom dumps but am not particularly interested in fudging around with pulling things on and off the card if there are still revisions to come :(

Phokal

Oct 25, 2017
WI
I don't have the link handy, but in addressing the recent sega 2.4gz firmware update (that fixes some lag on those) they mention they are working on some SuperNT versions as well.

Bluetooth has some lag, but also support almost any controller, so it depends on your needs/flexibility.

Phokal

Oct 25, 2017
WI
Are we at a good place with the Jailbreak now? I want to do some Rom dumps but am not particularly interested in fudging around with pulling things on and off the card if there are still revisions to come :(

There haven't been any updates to the github project in quite awhile. Like you, I was waiting to see if they'd ever sync up, but it looks like this is as good as it gets. From the changelog, it's only a few minor bug fixes. If it helps, it was ridiculously easy and quick to install. Just read the readme so you know what to expect (like the ~1 minute black screen).

Deleted member 1627

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There haven't been any updates to the github project in quite awhile. Like you, I was waiting to see if they'd ever sync up, but it looks like this is as good as it gets. From the changelog, it's only a few minor bug fixes. If it helps, it was ridiculously easy and quick to install. Just read the readme so you know what to expect (like the ~1 minute black screen).
Thankies :D

SoH

Oct 25, 2017

8bitdo only released bluetooth adapters/controllers for the SNES/SNT and no 2.4G controllers right (only for the SNES Classic Mini it seems)?

So how's the lag on the bluetooth controllers? I know their Genesis bluetooth controllers have a lot of lag but what about their SNES controllers?
I've been getting into SMW romhacks which requires 1 frame tricks just to progress through most levels. Unless you've been practicing speedrunning techniques on a CRT with a wired controller you are not going to have a problem with the single frame of lag introduced. I haven't, at least.

And if you do have speedrunning ambitions you are probably still better off using original hardware connected to a CRT or very low latency display chain with a wired controller in the first place.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I've been getting into SMW romhacks which requires 1 frame tricks just to progress through most levels. Unless you've been practicing speedrunning techniques on a CRT with a wired controller you are not going to have a problem with the single frame of lag introduced. I haven't, at least.

And if you do have speedrunning ambitions you are probably still better off using original hardware connected to a CRT or very low latency display chain with a wired controller in the first place.
Thanks for the write up.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm receiveing my Super NT this week and kinda am in a similar position.

I got the 2.4G controller for my Mega SG and it's an absolute delight to use. On the other hand, I have the 8bitdo Bluetooth adapter for the PS Classic that, when used on PC, I need to be perfectly aligned with it and not too far away for it to work properly, in a way that if I'm 10-12 feet away with anything in front of the controller it'll start to lag and delay insanely, so it gets me kinda nervous to go Bluetooth with them again for the Super NT.

It's a shame there's no 2.4G controller with the SNES connector, that would've been perfect.

Phokal

Oct 25, 2017
WI
I'm receiveing my Super NT this week and kinda am in a similar position.

I got the 2.4G controller for my Mega SG and it's an absolute delight to use. On the other hand, I have the 8bitdo Bluetooth adapter for the PS Classic that, when used on PC, I need to be perfectly aligned with it and not too far away for it to work properly, in a way that if I'm 10-12 feet away with anything in front of the controller it'll start to lag and delay insanely, so it gets me kinda nervous to go Bluetooth with them again for the Super NT.

It's a shame there's no 2.4G controller with the SNES connector, that would've been perfect.

As a heads up, they've said on twitter that they are going to make 2.4ghz snes controllers, but no specifics or an ETA yet. My gut says sometime this year, but that's just my gut.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a heads up, they've said on twitter that they are going to make 2.4ghz snes controllers, but no specifics or an ETA yet. My gut says sometime this year, but that's just my gut.

That would be awesome, I don't mind waiting as I already have a couple of OG SNES wired controllers.

I contacted 8bitdo's support this morning, if they ever share an ETA, I'll share here later as well.