• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ForteanMan

Oct 25, 2017
Dongguan, China
Just fired it up this morning and I'm loving it! I'm only halfway through World 1 but if I didn't know, I'd have assumed this was a regular Mario game produced by that team. You've inspired me to try my own hand at creating my on Worlds too!

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
Looks really good! Trailer was incredible. Saving maker id and will hopefully play eventually!

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I just played through the first world.

You did a really great job. The levels thus far feel completely organic. The levels demonstrate what you should be doing, where to go, and allows for on-the-fly puzzle solving and anticipating what mistakes players may make. And probably most importantly, you've made the levels fun to complete.

I'll keep playing on.

OP
OP
MisterAnderson
Oct 29, 2017
Is this more traditional levels or is it a lot of puzzle levels? Thats the one thing i havent been a massive fan of in mario maker so far
That was the primary design goal I had going into this project. I hope it scratches the itch you've been having since I felt the same way about Mario Maker.
Bookmarked .. I'll have a crack with my MM obsessed youngster tonight
Awesome! I'd love to hear what you guys think when you end up having a chance. :)
Just fired it up this morning and I'm loving it! I'm only halfway through World 1 but if I didn't know, I'd have assumed this was a regular Mario game produced by that team. You've inspired me to try my own hand at creating my on Worlds too!
That's the best praise you could give me. I'd love to try your levels when you feel that they are ready to be shown off; feel free to hit me up when they are done!
I just played through the first world.

You did a really great job. The levels thus far feel completely organic. The levels demonstrate what you should be doing, where to go, and allows for on-the-fly puzzle solving and anticipating what mistakes players may make. And probably most importantly, you've made the levels fun to complete.

I'll keep playing on.
Thanks again everyone. I really am thrilled to see so many people on the same page with me in regards to traditionally designed Mario levels. When I initially got Mario Maker 2, I was hoping that there would be more content like this and I feel like traditional Mario levels are rarely the ones that end up popular or even created at all, which is more or less what inspired me to try something like this.

Also, if anyone has gotten through the final level (or when you eventually do), I'm very eager to get some feedback on the final stage. It was not tested with anyone else except for my own repeated plays, so I had no feedback to go with for tweaking it. As a result, I think it may be too difficult compared to the rest of the game. I really wanted to have a final boss fight that wasn't a complete pushover like most Mario games, and while I toned it down as much as I could while still retaining the boss fight mechanic that I came up with, it still might be too tough. Being limited to two checkpoints I think is the main problem with it, but if feedback is unanimous about how tough it is, I might try to tone it down at some point so please don't hold back on honest criticisms. But I do also ask that if you want to share your feedback on it, to please either private message me or use spoiler tags for anyone who hasn't gotten there yet.

And another thing, please let me know if you come across any softlocks or "bugs", etc. I was informed of a softlock that was discovered on the first level that I should have noticed, and to make matters worse it's one of the most popular levels since it's the first one everyone plays when they start the game...I think I might just leave it in since it's only the first stage and it's already picked up so much traction, but we'll see. Ultimately I don't REALLY care about my "Maker Points" and will prioritize revising the levels to make them as good as possible over having lots of "likes" and "plays."

Last edited:

mompe

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm on the second world and I am loving every second. I can see how much you love and spend playing the classic Marios, the addition of the new items to the levels it is a good indicator of how I think Nintendo itself would create new levels. Congratulations.

Thank you so much! ;D

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Nice, I will play this one too! Does it work well in co-op? It's my preferable way of playing Mario games!

Also, hoping for a bit of Link and SMB2 powerups in there. I still haven't encountered any level with the SMB2 one, since I had kinda stopped playing by the time it was added.

OP
OP
MisterAnderson
Oct 29, 2017
I'm on the second world and I am loving every second. I can see how much you love and spend playing the classic Marios, the addition of the new items to the levels it is a good indicator of how I think Nintendo itself would create new levels. Congratulations.

Thank you so much! ;D
Thank you! I'm so glad you're enjoying it and you're too kind. :) I'd love to hear what you think of the rest when you eventually get to it!
Nice, I will play this one too! Does it work well in co-op? It's my preferable way of playing Mario games!

Also, hoping for a bit of Link and SMB2 powerups in there. I still haven't encountered any level with the SMB2 one, since I had kinda stopped playing by the time it was added.
It was designed to be played single player first and foremost. The camera in Mario Maker 2 only works well for co-op (in my experience) when levels are mostly horizontally scroll locked, which limits a lot of verticality and variety that I was aiming for with the design of these levels. While some will definitely work better than others, I highly recommend taking turns if you were to play with a friend/family member since they weren't designed with co-op in mind at all. If you end up attempting it in co-op though, I'd love to hear how certain levels work with it!

Also, since SMB2 and Link powerups would not fit in the "traditional" Mario experience that I was aiming for, I'm sorry to say that they aren't in the game. I might attempt to do something with them in an eighth bonus world that I might add down the line, but probably not since it isn't really the theme I'm going for. Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if I do mess around and make a SMB2 or Link level at some point, unrelated to Super Nostalgia World.

Last edited:

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
First I'm seing of this. Bookmarking!

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Played the first two worlds last night - I thought the first world was a bit stronger but you capped off world 2 with probably the best level so far (Crystal Cavern). Some cool design stuff in that castle too. Your levels are excellent and I'm planning to play more!

and I DID find the spike helmet in the water level on my run lol.

Oct 27, 2017
sorry OP for playing through this so slowly, i know you want to update some levels. just chiming in to say i love world 3 so far.

i LOVE geyser gulch.

OP
OP
MisterAnderson
Oct 29, 2017
Played the first two worlds last night - I thought the first world was a bit stronger but you capped off world 2 with probably the best level so far (Crystal Cavern). Some cool design stuff in that castle too. Your levels are excellent and I'm planning to play more!

and I DID find the spike helmet in the water level on my run lol.
Thanks! I hope you like the rest. :) Do you personally feel that the water level would improve if I removed autoscroll from it?

sorry OP for playing through this so slowly, i know you want to update some levels. just chiming in to say i love world 3 so far.
Don't feel like you need to rush! I'm going to let it marinate for a couple more weeks/a monthish or so more than likely to let other issues/difficulty tweaks come up so that when I do take it down to update it, I hopefully don't end up missing anything by rushing to do it ASAP. It also gives everyone a chance to get through it who have already started it.

I'm thinking about maybe adding an eighth "bonus" super challenging world but I don't know if I have it in me to come up with and balance 5 new levels right now. I'm pretty burnt out but it's definitely brewing in my mind that at some point I'll have to add something fun with the eighth world I left open.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Thanks! I hope you like the rest. :) Do you personally feel that the water level would improve if I removed autoscroll from it?

Not sure, I felt as far as auto scroll levels go it wasn't bad, it felt like a pretty quick scroll at first but you have lots of room to maneuver and spaced enemies out nicely so it wasn't oppressive. Swimming levels are always a bit of a drag anyways so I think the overall game benefits from pushing you through it quicker before you can get sick of it lol.

Oct 27, 2017
i'm in world 6 now, and i think this is one of my favorite games of the year so far. it's just really well made mario levels in 8 worlds, so it's like a new mario game. there's a lot to play through and it's always satisfying.

i know you're burned out, OP, and i can see why. it *feels* like this HAD to have taken literally forever. i've only uploaded six, maybe seven levels, and those took me EONS to develop. but there's a tiny part of me that hopes you have it in you to make a sequel, even a small one (like a few worlds), even if it's in a year or two.

EDIT: one small thing — skyway shipyard 2 is a taaaaaaad bit ridiculous, difficulty wise. it took me a loooooong time to clear it haha.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MisterAnderson
Oct 29, 2017
i'm in world 6 now, and i think this is one of my favorite games of the year so far. it's just really well made mario levels in 8 worlds, so it's like a new mario game. there's a lot to play through and it's always satisfying.

i know you're burned out, OP, and i can see why. it *feels* like this HAD to have taken literally forever. i've only uploaded six, maybe seven levels, and those took me EONS to develop. but there's a tiny part of me that hopes you have it in you to make a sequel, even a small one (like a few worlds), even if it's in a year or two.

EDIT: one small thing — skyway shipyard 2 is a taaaaaaad bit ridiculous, difficulty wise. it took me a loooooong time to clear it haha.
You guys are too kind. Thanks again for even taking the time to play it let alone give me such praise. As for Skyway Shipyard 2, I'm planning on making it easier when I do the "update" to the levels, but I don't want to overdo it. Which sections in particular did you have a really tough time with that you personally would like to be adjusted? I have some ideas in my head already but just want to get some feedback before I start cutting things apart.

Keep in mind though, that it's intended to be difficult since it's the second to last "castle" level in the game. But I agree I probably went overboard and made it too difficult for most players.

Oct 27, 2017
You guys are too kind. Thanks again for even taking the time to play it let alone give me such praise. As for Skyway Shipyard 2, I'm planning on making it easier when I do the "update" to the levels, but I don't want to overdo it. Which sections in particular did you have a really tough time with that you personally would like to be adjusted? I have some ideas in my head already but just want to get some feedback before I start cutting things apart.

Keep in mind though, that it's intended to be difficult since it's the second to last "castle" level in the game. But I agree I probably went overboard and made it too difficult for most players.
i forget the exact section, but it's the first big one with the cape feather power up on the right side and the arrows pointing left on the bottom. it's really difficult, but with enough tries i made it through.

thank god for the
hidden one up before the checkpoint before the two bosses
on the last level. IT IS INSANELY HARD.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Couldn't wait finishing it (I'm only at world 3) to say that this is exactly what I expected since the first Mario Maker came out. It's clever, well crafted, and oozes love for the series.

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017
How did I miss this thread!? I love traditional levels in SMM2 and always want to try more of them. I'm also working on a traditional super world of my own, but it's been slow going, having started a few weeks ago and just finished building world 3 level 4 today.

Will definitely check this out tomorrow!

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This looks really polished - fantastic trailer. Looking forward to giving it a look sometime soon.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Couldn't wait finishing it (I'm only at world 3) to say that this is exactly what I expected since the first Mario Maker came out. It's clever, well crafted, and oozes love for the series.

There are lots of really good super worlds out there. I've played through about 5 or 6 exceptionally well made ones

Oct 27, 2017

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I'd gladly take the suggestions if you don't mind
yea cough them up buddy!!

I finally finished it, OP. Last level is legit insane but it was worth it in the end. Very inventive last boss. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THESE AWESOME LEVELS!!

Full on traditional Mario games

Phil32: 4XW-VB1-VXG
Hero - CD4-1T7-PWG
KingBooBro - 6DM-DC9-QTF
Iggy2602 - 2TQ-2TC-FWG
abizboah - DLJ-NNF-8JG

Tasters with an Assortment of really good levels/Shorter Worlds

GokouD - 29V-SMD-4JF
Megastryker - 61W-T6D-WDG
Pinktops - JN4-6J7-N3G (My favourite creator)
Jocchan: R9T-L1M-94G
Buflen: MMF-HSW-TBG (higher difficulty, last level is incredible)

Not as good as the above but shameless plug either way for a best of world I made.

Gotdatmony: 0QH-9NY-PDG

Very small selection of levels and worlds I have btw. The game has many many great levels and projects and they are not difficult to find.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Full on traditional Mario games

Phil32: 4XW-VB1-VXG
Hero - CD4-1T7-PWG
KingBooBro - 6DM-DC9-QTF
Iggy2602 - 2TQ-2TC-FWG

Tasters with an Assortment of really good levels/Shorter Worlds

GokouD - 29V-SMD-4JF
Megastryker - 61W-T6D-WDG
Pinktops - JN4-6J7-N3G (My favourite creator)
Jocchan: R9T-L1M-94G
Buflen: MMF-HSW-TBG (higher difficulty, last level is incredible)

Not as good as the above but shameless plug either way for a best of world I made.

Gotdatmony: 0QH-9NY-PDG

Very small selection of levels and worlds I have btw. The game has many many great levels and projects and they are not difficult to find.
AHHHH! Thank you so much! :)

OP
OP
MisterAnderson
Oct 29, 2017
i forget the exact section, but it's the first big one with the cape feather power up on the right side and the arrows pointing left on the bottom. it's really difficult, but with enough tries i made it through.

thank god for the
hidden one up before the checkpoint before the two bosses
on the last level. IT IS INSANELY HARD.

I finally finished it, OP. Last level is legit insane but it was worth it in the end. Very inventive last boss. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THESE AWESOME LEVELS!!

I just worked out an overhaul for that section that I think is an improvement while also being easier. I'm also considering changing up the part after that where the player has to ascend with the many cannonballs, or do you think that part was mostly fine as is?

Also, one of the changes I have made to the last level to hopefully help players out between checkpoints is
adding two additional Super Mushrooms (for a total of four) in the second miniboss fight.
I'm glad you found the 1-Up secret, haha. I wanted the last level to be a challenge, but I seriously wish I could add a third checkpoint. :( Was it too insane in your opinion?

And you're welcome! Thank you so much for playing. I wish I had more space in that final level to have a "Thanks for playing" celebration screen, but it's literally jam packed in both the main and sub areas. So the cheering and fireworks was the best I could do.

How did I miss this thread!? I love traditional levels in SMM2 and always want to try more of them. I'm also working on a traditional super world of my own, but it's been slow going, having started a few weeks ago and just finished building world 3 level 4 today.

Will definitely check this out tomorrow!
Definitely let me know when your Super World is done!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I just worked out an overhaul for that section that I think is an improvement while also being easier. I'm also considering changing up the part after that where the player has to ascend with the many cannonballs, or do you think that part was mostly fine as is?

Also, one of the changes I have made to the last level to hopefully help players out between checkpoints is
adding two additional Super Mushrooms (for a total of four) in the second miniboss fight.
I'm glad you found the 1-Up secret, haha. I wanted the last level to be a challenge, but I seriously wish I could add a third checkpoint. :( Was it too insane in your opinion?

And you're welcome! Thank you so much for playing. I wish I had more space in that final level to have a "Thanks for playing" celebration screen, but it's literally jam packed in both the main and sub areas. So the cheering and fireworks was the best I could do.

Definitely let me know when your Super World is done!
the second
bowser boss when he's in the hovercraft
was really difficult, but eventually i realized i needed to
go to the opposite side wherever he was over and over in order to stay alive. it's honestly the hardest part of the level for me — even the final bowser form is easier. once you realize what you need to do with the final bowser, it's easier to handle with the necessary surplus of the mushrooms and being able to focus only on one gigantic target vs one floating around everywhere.
i think your edit to the last level is a GOOD one haha.

i'll say this — i don't think any mainstream mario level is quite as hard as your last level, but i think it's really hard simply because you can't utilize more checkpoints. i think if you
shifted up the checkpoint that's before the two mini bowser fights so that it's in between them instead of before both,
that'd be cool. of course, just suggestions. you're the master! do whatever you want!

Pop into the OT sometime and snoop around. Lots of good stuff posted there.
i'll do that! thanks!

Last edited:

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I'm taking time with your work MisterAnderson but I gotta say world's 2 and 4 were really enjoyable. Let' see how world 5 plays out.

OP
OP
MisterAnderson
Oct 29, 2017
the second
bowser boss when he's in the hovercraft
was really difficult, but eventually i realized i needed to
go to the opposite side wherever he was over and over in order to stay alive. it's honestly the hardest part of the level for me — even the final bowser form is easier. once you realize what you need to do with the final bowser, it's easier to handle with the necessary surplus of the mushrooms and being able to focus only on one gigantic target vs one floating around everywhere.
i think your edit to the last level is a GOOD one haha

i'll say this — i don't think any mainstream mario level is quite as hard as your last level, but i think it's really hard simply because you can't utilize more checkpoints. i think if you
shifted up the checkpoint that's before the two mini bowser fights so that it's in between them instead of before both,
that'd be cool. of course, just suggestions. you're the master! do whatever you want!

Yeah I definitely didn't intend to make the
second miniboss to be more difficult than the final encounter. I falsely assumed the second one wouldn't be too bad since he doesn't have the sky flame attack, which is what gave me the most issues when testing him in the final battle, and I realized early on (since I did make it, afterall) the best way to handle the hovercraft is to swap sides of the room (like you discovered), and hoped it would be more obvious to players as they seek out the Mushrooms. I hope the two additional Mushrooms makes a difference, but maybe I should just remove the second fight altogether.

I was torn on the checkpoint placement for the longest time between how it is now and what you're suggesting. I didn't want players to have to
start over every time they failed the first boss and justified it being placed before the first boss for that reason, but I think I'll remove the Boom Boom "bouncer" at the start of the level and consider moving the first checkpoint before the second miniboss like you said. That combined with the two additional powerups I think might improve the experience of that final level overall. In retrospect, it's probably worse being punished for failing the second boss, then having to fight the first AND second one over and over, as opposed to failing the first boss and having to work your way to him all over again.

Right now the final level is at 2% completion rate, with the second lowest in the game sitting at about 9% (The level that precedes it: Clobber Castle). I'd ideally like to make the final level be somewhere in the 5-9% range.

Last edited:

Joe DeStazio

Oct 30, 2017
Finished this today. Loved it. The difficulty ramp up is perfect and the final level is one of my favorite MM2 courses I've played.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
This looks pretty neat, OP. Well done on the effort. I own the game but haven't played it yet. Is it possible to download the whole level pack in one go?

OP
OP
MisterAnderson
Oct 29, 2017
Finished this today. Loved it. The difficulty ramp up is perfect and the final level is one of my favorite MM2 courses I've played.
Thank you so much <3. Getting the difficulty to ramp up how I was hoping for was the most challenging thing for me, and I think while I did a pretty good job there are a few weak areas I hope to improve after catching some feedback. I'm really happy that you enjoyed the final level so much! I was most anxious about handling that level compared to the rest. Could you do me a huge favor and tell me what you think about making the changes proposed in the post above yours? It's mostly in spoiler text. Your thoughts on the location of the first checkpoint in that final level being the main thing I'm curious about.
This looks pretty neat, OP. Well done on the effort. I own the game but haven't played it yet. Is it possible to download the whole level pack in one go?
Super Worlds themselves can't be downloaded, but you can access it by searching my Maker ID (it's in the OP and at the end of the trailer), then from my main profile selecting the big play button. Whenever you quit the Super World, it saves your place and you can then access your Super Worlds in progress from the Course World menu by pressing 'Y' to open your profile, then scrolling to the right to the red balloon symbol.

Technically, you can download every level to your Switch individually, but they won't be presented in the Super World (no world map, persistent extra lives, or any locked progression, etc.).

If you aren't itching to play it right at this moment, I'm planning on taking everyone's feedback and improving/slightly re-adjusting the difficulty in certain areas of the game with one big update pass in a couple of weeks. I plan to update this thread with a list of changes. Definitely give it a go if you want, though! But if you don't finish the game before I do the update, it will erase your progress and you'll have to start over.

The game itself isn't very long though, depending on how good you are at Mario it can take anywhere between 1.5/2 hours to 5-6 hours potentially, if you are really struggling at areas in the last couple of worlds.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
OP how connected are you to the MM / Kaizo community? Is this something that you can get to cross the radar of people like Barb, Grand Poo Bear, Panga, LaserBelch, etc?

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Haha, can you tell me why? xD
Even though I skipped a lot of the bonus mushrooms I still accumulated 19 at the start and was left with 5 before completing it. It was challenging but only one of the sections felt tedious. It was the part after sliding down a hill and bumping into a column of springs to jump onto three platforms guarded by a pair of goombrats on each platform.

It just never felt right in attempting to overcome it with momentum jumping so I ended up taking on each platform individually and even then I lost all my lives and I had to start over on that sub-level.

The other challenging sections felt fun without being tedious. I was fairly happy with the boss fight.

OP
OP
MisterAnderson
Oct 29, 2017
OP how connected are you to the MM / Kaizo community? Is this something that you can get to cross the radar of people like Barb, Grand Poo Bear, Panga, LaserBelch, etc?

I am not very connected, so I'm really not sure. I used to be more involved with the MM community on reddit when I was making some individual levels last year, and I don't know who the people are who you just mentioned/I kind of hate kaizo levels xD. Do you suggest I try to contact any of them or something?

Even though I skipped a lot of the bonus mushrooms I still accumulated 19 at the start and was left with 5 before completing it. It was challenging but only one of the sections felt tedious. It was the part after sliding down a hill and bumping into a column of springs to jump onto three platforms guarded by a pair of goombrats on each platform.

It just never felt right in attempting to overcome it with momentum jumping so I ended up taking on each platform individually and even then I lost all my lives and I had to start over on that sub-level.

The other challenging sections felt fun without being tedious. I was fairly happy with the boss fight.
In that section, as long as you time the initial jump correctly (a running jump right at the very edge of the ledge after the springs), if you hold down right direction while holding jump, it will get you across every time.

If anyone else had trouble at this section please let me know! (5-2: Brisk Bluffs)

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I am not very connected, so I'm really not sure. I used to be more involved with the MM community on reddit when I was making some individual levels last year, and I don't know who the people are who you just mentioned/I kind of hate kaizo levels xD. Do you suggest I try to contact any of them or something?
Haha well everyone of those is a Kaizo Mario player with little bits of other games (Dark Souls, trending games like TLOU2, etc). BarbarbousKing (Barb) in particular is a huge proponent of just solid level design and player challenges in general. He's definitely a Kaizo creator, but he respects good design above all else.

Saicho

Oct 27, 2017
Very good trailer...I'll have to check it out after I finish Mario & Rabbid Kingdom Battle!

BreakyBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Two worlds in and I'm having a good time!

So far it's been pretty easy, but there's a definite uptick from world 1 to world 2, so I'm looking forward to the rest.

I did like the auto-scroll swimming world, but I'm not surprised to hear that I'm the weird one there. I tend to think those levels can be a great change of pace.

I'll probably play the rest tomorrow. Great job though OP!

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you so much <3. Getting the difficulty to ramp up how I was hoping for was the most challenging thing for me, and I think while I did a pretty good job there are a few weak areas I hope to improve after catching some feedback. I'm really happy that you enjoyed the final level so much! I was most anxious about handling that level compared to the rest. Could you do me a huge favor and tell me what you think about making the changes proposed in the post above yours? It's mostly in spoiler text. Your thoughts on the location of the first checkpoint in that final level being the main thing I'm curious about.

Super Worlds themselves can't be downloaded, but you can access it by searching my Maker ID (it's in the OP and at the end of the trailer), then from my main profile selecting the big play button. Whenever you quit the Super World, it saves your place and you can then access your Super Worlds in progress from the Course World menu by pressing 'Y' to open your profile, then scrolling to the right to the red balloon symbol.

Technically, you can download every level to your Switch individually, but they won't be presented in the Super World (no world map, persistent extra lives, or any locked progression, etc.).

If you aren't itching to play it right at this moment, I'm planning on taking everyone's feedback and improving/slightly re-adjusting the difficulty in certain areas of the game with one big update pass in a couple of weeks. I plan to update this thread with a list of changes. Definitely give it a go if you want, though! But if you don't finish the game before I do the update, it will erase your progress and you'll have to start over.

The game itself isn't very long though, depending on how good you are at Mario it can take anywhere between 1.5/2 hours to 5-6 hours potentially, if you are really struggling at areas in the last couple of worlds.
Thanks. I'm not going to be playing any time soon, so I can wait for the update. I'll watch this thread in the meantime.