• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What are you most excited about potentially seeing in the coming weeks?

• The Sequel to the Breath of the Wild

Votes: 468 36.0%
  • 3D Donkey Kong

Votes: 121 9.3%
  • Metroid 5

Votes: 176 13.5%
  • Pikmin 4

Votes: 31 2.4%
  • Fire Emblem

Votes: 43 3.3%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Votes: 119 9.2%
  • Switch Pro Hardware

Votes: 342 26.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
That link model seems mostly based on Twilight Princess link but more colorful

May 21, 2021
How would y'all feel if we get some Nintendo-Microsoft collab announcements.

-Master Chief Smash reveal with Doom Guy as an echo fighter (not counting as the final DLC character)
-A native port of Halo: The Master Chief Collection.
-Banjo-Kazooie Collection (Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge, Banjo-Pilot and Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts).
-Rare Replay with added exclusives: Diddy Kong Racing, Donkey Kong 64 and Star Fox Adventures.
-The Rare remaster of GoldenEye 007 originally made for Xbox 360 finally gets an official release on Switch and Xbox Series with cross-play.
-Xbox Game Pass on Switch.

Last edited:

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
It shares 61 people with Odyssey, not that Odyssey was only made by 61 people ! It's not that surprising since both were being worked on at the same time, and probably were done almost at the same time (Wii U version for BOTW apparently was done late 2016, and Odyssey supposedly was almost done very early 2017 according to Koizumi)

I wonder what would have happened if they released BotW Holiday 2016 for Wii U, and then launched the Switch a few months later with a port and Odyssey.

zeitgeist

Oct 27, 2017

-Master Chief Smash reveal with Doom Guy as an echo fighter (not counting as the final DLC character)
-Banjo-Kazooie HD Collection (Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge, Banjo-Pilot and Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts).
-Rare Replay with added exclusives: Diddy Kong Racing, Donkey Kong 64 and Star Fox Adventures.
-The Rare remaster of GoldenEye 007 originally made for Xbox 360 finally gets an official release in HD on the Switch and Xbox Series with cross-play.
-Xbox Game Pass.

I would love all of that but we will get none of that.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yah, you took JUST the two wrong exemples, since Star Fox Zero is a perfectly equal joint between PlatinumGames and EPD :p
It has about the same number of designers from both studios. It was surprisingly a big collab between the two.
And Samus Returns, while not as much of a big collab, has a lot of EPD designers working on it in comparison to other first party games made by a third party studio.

So I wasn't misinformed, then.

The point I was getting at earlier is what's stopping this supposed DK game from being a joint project between EPD and Bamco? Only bit of info keeping me from worrying about that is that we've heard that Nintendo made an EPD team specifically to work on DK.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
How would y'all feel if we got any of the following Nintendo-Microsoft collab announcements.

-Banjo-Kazooie HD Collection (Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge, Banjo-Pilot and Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts).
-The Rare remaster of GoldenEye 007 originally made for Xbox 360 finally gets an official release in HD on the Switch and Xbox Series with cross-play.
-Xbox Game Pass.
Master Chief and Doom Guy are both FPS characters, but the games play so different, I don't think an Echo would work.
Especially with Doom Eternal, it has a much bigger focus on agility and fast switching weapons.
I don't that would do them justice.
Either have only one or do both properly.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017

-Banjo-Kazooie Collection (Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge, Banjo-Pilot and Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts).
-The Rare remaster of GoldenEye 007 originally made for Xbox 360 finally gets an official release on Switch and Xbox Series with cross-play.
-Xbox Game Pass.

Literally my dreams and expectations.

I'm going to be heavily disappointed come autumn but if even a fraction of this comes true (especially the Halo stuff) it will still blow my mind upon reveal.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019

-Xbox Game Pass.
Honestly any one of these things would be pretty hype even if the only ones I'd care about personally would be Game Pass and the Banjo games

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair

-Xbox Game Pass.

I'm doubtful on any of the rest happening, but this I'm almost 100% positive on. The current rights holders to the Bond license recently went through all of the hoops necessary to renew the trademark of Goldeneye specifically for use as video games software. No need for that if they weren't planning on utilizing it. Also not a coincidence this year happens to be the 25th anniversary. See the trademark history here and see all of the effort they went through to ensure its use dating back to August last year to this past March…

https://trademark.trademarkia.com/goldeneye-90098356.html

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
I'm listening to Nate/Grubb expectations but man they really are downers haha. Maybe a BotW2 trailer? Maybe a date? Oof.

If this show feels like the Mario 35th showcase i'd rather just not watch it live. The Switch's leaning on old releases, shifting from Wii U to Wii or older is just tiring. If these were remakes like Links Awakening it might be exciting, but it's clear that's not going to be all that common.
Yeah, I feel you. I'm all on it for remakes and HD ports (heck, I'm still waiting for Fatal Frame collection, XenoX, MPT, or even gems like Eternal Darkness or F-Zero GX), but only if they're the ocasional release on slow months or pre-holidays to support new games and sequels, not the norm.

I realice developing is getting harder and more expensive and that they have limited personnel, but there is a clear unbalance that even COVID can't fully explain. Iwata spent many years planning the expansion and consolidation of all R&D teams on the new building and expanding all the teams, and having now only one platform to give support was also supposed to improve release schedules... It seems they're not there yet, sadly. The success of Switch as a gaming platform deserves more new games, and old franchises deserves new opportunities on this giant user base.

Aug 25, 2019
It shares 61 people with Odyssey, not that Odyssey was only made by 61 people ! It's not that surprising since both were being worked on at the same time, and probably were done almost at the same time (Wii U version for BOTW apparently was done late 2016, and Odyssey supposedly was almost done very early 2017 according to Koizumi)

I see. Made a fool of myself once again.

God damm it I should've known lmao

Jan 3, 2018
Yeah, I feel you. I'm all on it for remakes and HD ports (heck, I'm still waiting for Fatal Frame collection, XenoX, MPT, or even gems like Eternal Darkness or F-Zero GX), but only if they're the ocasional release on slow months or pre-holidays to support new games and sequels, not the norm.

I realice developing is getting harder and more expensive and that they have limited personnel, but there is a clear unbalance that even COVID can't fully explain. Iwata spent many years planning the expansion and consolidation of all R&D teams on the new building and expanding all the teams, and having now only one platform to give support was also supposed to improve release schedules... It seems they're not there yet, sadly. The success of Switch as a gaming platform deserves more new games, and old franchises deserves new opportunities on this giant user base.

I'll wait till E3 to really judge, but yeah I would've thought they'd have more for the Switch's 4th year on the market, even with covid. That's when devs should know the hardware inside and out. Hopefully H2 is really stacked with new games.

Nov 2, 2017
I have been mostly lurking for a while but I may go off here if those leaks from Brushie do happen. Already seeing some of them and I definitely don't want Nintendo spoiled for me

Aug 25, 2019
I was listening to Nate's podcast and man, it was great as always, but my hype level shrunk from a 8/10 to a 6.5/10.

However, I believe Nate did say that if he knew something was 100% certain for the Direct, he wouldn't talk about it. I hope he knows about a few nice games…

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
What is the risk we see a time limited Zelda collection announced? That's my number one worry for the direct is that they'll announce another artificial scarcity FOMO release. They're good games, but I don't want to support these business practices.

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020

Release schedules were really bad in 2020 and 2018, but I think Nintendo's done a decent job this year. We're getting two Nintendo-published games this very month, and they're both new. Last month we got a port, but a non-lazy one that came with nice improvements. The month before that Nintendo brought back a subseries from the N64 that was highly demanded to come back.

If H2 ends up being solid then 2021 will be a great year for Switch, all things considered. I think Nate and Jeff just want to avoid disappointment so they're keeping expectations low, but I'm fairly optimistic.

Christo750

May 10, 2018

-Xbox Game Pass.
Keep Xbox Game Pass and gimme the rest and I'll love you forever

b0nk

Apr 6, 2020
It is, I remember when it was first posted before TPHD got announced and people thought that's what the game was going to look like.
Yeah, I remember this. I was one of the naive many who thought so, as well. 😭

Some nice mods and texture packs eventually came along that went a bit higher effort than Nintendo's remaster.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017
I was listening to Nate's podcast and man, it was great as always, but my hype level shrunk from a 8/10 to a 6.5/10.

However, I believe Nate did say that if he knew something was 100% certain for the Direct, he wouldn't talk about it. I hope he knows about a few nice games…

There were a few things that stood out to me as "Nate probably knows more than he is letting on here but he is positioning it as speculation to avoid confirming anything outright": a Mario+Rabbids sequel including more than just Mario characters; a Final Fantasy Collection on Switch; and the big one, a Kart racer probably not called Mario Kart, because it includes more Nintendo characters and they want to differentiate it from an eventual Mario Kart 9.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I do hope we end on Tuesday knowing about 4 new Nintendo games. Not ports or HD remasters. Just new games. EPD or otherwise.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
There were a few things that stood out to me as "Nate probably knows more than he is letting on here but he is positioning it as speculation to avoid confirming anything outright": a Mario+Rabbids sequel including more than just Mario characters; a Final Fantasy Collection on Switch; and the big one, a Kart racer probably not called Mario Kart, because it includes more Nintendo characters and they want to differentiate it from an eventual Mario Kart 9.

Ehhhhh, I really don't know about that last one chief

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I do hope we end on Tuesday knowing about 4 new Nintendo games. Not ports or HD remasters. Just new games. EPD or otherwise.

We'd pretty much have to get close to 4, right? Other than BOTW 2 and Prime 4 (excluding Pokémon) there's not really any Nintendo games we know of past this summer. Unless I'm forgetting some? And there's no way they spend E3 just promoting their summer games.

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine any Anniversary Collection they do will be time limited.
That's a bummer. i don't mind limited physical releases, but limited digital releases are horrible.

I've never played Twilight Princess or Majora's Mask so I was hoping for a release on Switch, but if it's going to be like the disappointing Super Mario 3D All-Stars collection then I'll pass.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
Zeltik is so good, though! And to be fair, the Zonai are a big part of the Breath of the Wild Hyrule even while not being mentioned much.

They really are, i hope SO BAD they are going to be appart of the sequel's story. Like the cave Ganondorf is in seems to have their design on some walls so maybe they will explain what happen and everything. I really hope they go into deeper story telling cause the amount of lore in Botw that isn't explained is insane..

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
We'd pretty much have to get close to 4, right? Other than BOTW 2 and Prime 4 (excluding Pokémon) there's not really any Nintendo games we know of past this summer. Unless I'm forgetting some? And there's no way they spend E3 just promoting their summer games.

you are forgetting bayonetta 3 and splatoon 3.

Valentonis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 8, 2020
I always forget that Splatoon 3 is an actual confirmed thing. I'm pretty excited to see it again, I get the feeling that they're going all out with the single player mode this time around.

Octo expansion is one of the Switch's best single player experiences, so if it's anything like that I'll be a happy inkling.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I think 4 new first party games is likely. Not a lock, but likely.

DK
Metroid 5 (hopefully 5 and not a remake)
Super Mario Party 2
Xenoblade 3 or whatever else Monolith has

applepie

Aug 11, 2020

But they're never going to reach the same release schedule as they had back in the 3DS/DS/Wii days. All the restructuring is to make sure they could go on HD development smoothly, but the resources they needed to do so were increased exponentially and the availability of these resources naturally will never keep up with development the way it used to. Activision is huge and they transformed every Activision team into COD devs because COD needs that many resources.

Wii U ports are a great way to fill up the schedule, not waste too many resources and make a buck on games that didn't make a buck.

you are forgetting bayonetta 3 and splatoon 3.
Kamiya told me to forget Bayo 3 so I just did it.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
I think at this point everyone is more or less set on the main content from the Direct (BotW 2 Trailer, Metroid V, Donkey Kong, details on Pokemon, maybe Fire Emblem, maybe Kirby). Beyond that, there are a few other things I think have a chance of happening:

- Wave Race Revival by Mario Kart Team
- Bayonetta 3 actually releasing in 2021
- Monolith Soft new Game
- Completely new IP by Nintendo EPD

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
Yea it would be time for them to show Bayo 3.. it's been 3 years and a half like-
MP4 we can understand because of the scrapped project (which maybe Bayo 3 had as well).
I think MP4 could be used to show what the Pro can do tho

Status
Not open for further replies.