• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What are you most excited about potentially seeing in the coming weeks?

• The Sequel to the Breath of the Wild

Votes: 468 36.0%
  • 3D Donkey Kong

Votes: 121 9.3%
  • Metroid 5

Votes: 176 13.5%
  • Pikmin 4

Votes: 31 2.4%
  • Fire Emblem

Votes: 43 3.3%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Votes: 119 9.2%
  • Switch Pro Hardware

Votes: 342 26.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
We really don't need Super Smash Kart. I'd rather Nintendo do something fresh with the IP than just making MK8 but with more Nintendo characters and Nintendo themed stages. Fan service ain't everything, you know?

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
$60 for 3 games is still a better value than $60 for one, though! :(

At the end of the day Nintendo's ports should be better all-around.
True, for $60, you'd really expect it to come with the amiibo. $40 would be the most I'd pay for this port...$35 would seem about right.
There are a good dozen Wii/Gamecube games I'd happily pay $35-$40 for(just for basic 60fps/HD ports), but at $60, I won't even consider them. I'd expect a full remake for that money.

I would have happily paid $40 for Mario Sunshine HD by itself... if it was 60fps.
A little bit more effort and a smarter pricing structure..and they'd be raking in even more money IMO.

Last edited:

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Okay okay, here to the rescue:

451deb4767446408cdbdf9ab801027cff8-5-jones.rsquare.w330.jpg

There. Tommy Lee Jones, smiling. From now on, everything's going to get better.
What is happening???

:P

Aug 25, 2019
Nintendo was more involved with M+R than Starlink no question. Mario + Rabbids was a partnership from the beginning. Davide talked about flying to Nintendo and presenting his ideas. Starlink was already announced the E3 before we saw Star Fox in it. Starlink was an Ubisoft game with Star Fox added in later.
Starlink would've been better if Nintendo was involved from the start, like Mario + Rabbids. In that regard, Ubisoft would be perfect to make a new Starfox.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
They might be the same base games, but I've read some DLC on the system is region locked. & I'm just curious about what's going on.
I didn't see an answer to this in two pages, so sorry if someone else did.

Many Switch games are the exact same cart in each region (USA, EUR, JPN, KOR, CHN). In these cases it doesn't matter where you get it from; the data on the cart is 100% identical, and you'll be able to buy DLC from your region's eShop.

Sometimes Switch games are slightly altered between regions; Splatoon 2 did this to separate the three Splatfest regions, while Xenoblade 2 had two versions for either Japanese or English audio included in the base game. Because these aren't technically identical, they have different internal title IDs. DLC gets matched via title ID, so if you bought a European Splatoon 2, it won't be compatible with Octo Expansion from the NA eShop. (Different IDs are also how they list the Japanese audio as free DLC for English Xenoblade and I believe vice versa without listing redundant DLC packs.)

AFAIK, there's no perfect way to check for this. This list has a lot of titles with their ID for each region, but it's still not complete and even missing several first party titles. You can Google if the game's DLC is region locked if that fails, but that's not perfect either.

The default is for regions to be identical from what I remember; generally they're only separated if there's a reason for it. Additionally, I believe Mexico gets USA copies, so they'll be compatible with the US eShop; the only difference should be the rating on the box.

Aug 25, 2019
I don't think SSHD looks good. It might just be me, but I think Mario Galaxy in the 3D All Stars collection looks better than SSHD.

I would buy it if it was $30.

Scard

Jul 28, 2020
I don't think SSHD looks good. It might just be me, but I think Mario Galaxy in the 3D All Stars collection looks better than SSHD.

I would buy it if it was $30.

I played it on the Wii just before the switch version was announced and it was a bit of a struggle to finish. It's probably my least favourite Zelda game. I'll have to pass on the switch version.

Cru Jones

Oct 28, 2017
I really, really disagree.

Mario Kart, Party and Sports are WAY more casual than Smash. Making those series Smash series just makes it way less appealing to the usual audience for those games. I'm sure we would buy it, but for Nintendo it wouldn't make any sense.

Besides, Smash can make every character very unique. Mario Kart and Party would just need to add.... more characters. Purely cosmetic, no differences gameplay-wise. That's very unnecessary. The games would lose a lot of identity.

they can make characters unique if they go the double dash route and have unique super weapons for each character. Double dash was probably my favourite MK because it felt like I could customize a load out to suit my play style.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
I'm starting to watch more and more "video game-themed" YouTube videos nowadays, especially anything regarding E3.

And I gotta say that I do kinda think that BOTW 2 will be there in some way, shape, or form, but in a limited capacity with a Direct solely focusing on it sometime after E3 2021.

Even then, I'm cautious. It could be there or it could not. We'll see.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Now, in fairness, up until this generation, there were a number of more budget priced games coming out of Nintendo that have evaporated, we just used to call them handheld titles.

I think the biggest problem for Nintendo is that people don't typically react super positively in terms of sales for titles going from big budget to budget titles. I'm thinking like the GBA F-zero games, Chibi robo, Hey Pikmin, Federation force. People don't spend all their time dreaming up games that are clearly lacking vs past titles, and that's a difficult hill to get over.

Game pricing is a pretty complex issue and I don't think it does it justice to equate handheld titles with budget games. (If you're not doing that, I apologize, it just reads like that to me) Yes, it's technically true that you used to be able to pay $40 for a Pokémon game and now you pay $60 and some people will feel that the new games aren't 50% more "valuable" than they used to be. But the circumstances that were present on their handhelds do not apply anymore. Game pricing has never been a 1:1 representation of game budget and frankly will never be.

I personally do think that Nintendo could do better with variable pricing and I do like that they're putting out two budget-priced games just in the first half of the year (four if you count the separate releases for the FDC remakes in the US). But we also need to stop treating budget games as this silver bullet for dying or dead franchises when we already know that it can also have the opposite effect:

One encouraging trend is a growing willingness to lower the price of games that may not last as long. "We haven't had variable pricing models in games until recently," Piscatella says. But EA's Star Wars: Squadrons sold for $39.99 this month, and Insomniac's PS5 launch title Spider-Man: Miles Morales will cost $49.99. In both cases, developers explained the reduced price by pointing to their game's modest scope. Piscatella notes that because the concept of the $60 (or, soon, $70) game is so ingrained, the budget pricing approach can backfire by making consumers suspicious: "The perception is 'Wait a minute, wait a minute—why are they trying to make this price lower? It must not be a great game,'" he says. But if this approach becomes more common with quality titles, gamers will eventually learn how to set their expectations.

You're absolutely right that people don't take kindly to a step back in quality which is an issue when expectations also rise with hardware advancements. This is even more so the case when your consumers get the impression that lower-budget entries end up supplanting the big ones. A spinoff like Captain Toad works because it's seen a nice extra to the main course. A budget Star Fox or F-Zero would be seen an admission that they have no confidence in their ability to make a modern game in those series.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Many Switch games are the exact same cart in each region (USA, EUR, JPN, KOR, CHN). In these cases it doesn't matter where you get it from; the data on the cart is 100% identical, and you'll be able to buy DLC from your region's eShop.

Sometimes Switch games are slightly altered between regions; Splatoon 2 did this to separate the three Splatfest regions, while Xenoblade 2 had two versions for either Japanese or English audio included in the base game. Because these aren't technically identical, they have different internal title IDs. DLC gets matched via title ID, so if you bought a European Splatoon 2, it won't be compatible with Octo Expansion from the NA eShop. (Different IDs are also how they list the Japanese audio as free DLC for English Xenoblade and I believe vice versa without listing redundant DLC packs.)

AFAIK, there's no perfect way to check for this. This list has a lot of titles with their ID for each region, but it's still not complete and even missing several first party titles. You can Google if the game's DLC is region locked if that fails, but that's not perfect either.

The default is for regions to be identical from what I remember; generally they're only separated if there's a reason for it. Additionally, I believe Mexico gets USA copies, so they'll be compatible with the US eShop; the only difference should be the rating on the box.

Just to add a small comment on this. Another good rule of thumb for determining whether dlc might be region locked is to look at the eshop page while set to your region and see if the (English language region) game supports Japanese text. If it does, then there's probably only one ID, if it doesn't, then there definitely is more than one.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017

Huh, thanks for the info!

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
If I may add something to the current conversation, I think that Activision "teaching" to customers that a bundle featuring remakes of 3 fondly-remembered platformers is worthy $39.99 is a big reason behind Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time's relative failure back when it launched in October 2020 as one game reatiling for $59.99.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
Weekend was a little rough, looking for distraction this morning in the thread.

I wonder if this E3 is finally the E3 for Fire Calibur/Soul Emblem.

Honestly I'd be more than happy with any kind of Soul Calibur return. Bonus points if SC2 gets all guest characters on Switch at long last with GC controller support, but as long as I can get a new entry all the same I'd be happy.

They already toyed with the idea of Nintendo Kart All-Stars in MK8 to great effect, so I don't see why they shouldn't double down on it. Feels like a logical step forwards even if Mario characters still make up the majority of the roster. Just don't include any FE characters. I love that franchise but its overrepresentation in Smash rubbed me the wrong way.

Yeah, this is about where I am. If it ends up being extra character drivers are DLC with relevant race courses, neat. Otherwise I can't imagine it'll have too much of an impact on the overall game.

This gave me a stroke but I've since come to accept this. So long as poptarts are a type of ravioli.

Okay okay, here to the rescue:

451deb4767446408cdbdf9ab801027cff8-5-jones.rsquare.w330.jpg

There. Tommy Lee Jones, smiling. From now on, everything's going to get better.

This is even more deeply unsettling than the Mario Kart rail shooter post and I can't quite put my finger on it.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
If I may add something to the current conversation, I think that Activision "teaching" to customers that a bundle featuring remakes of 3 fondly-remembered platformers is worthy $39.99 is a big reason behind Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time's relative failure back when it launched in October 2020 as one game reatiling for $59.99.
Was this meant for the PAL chart?

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Laughing at these totally conservative "arguments" against the idea of adding more non-Mario universe entities into Mario Kart because they are just as facile as ones that simply say they want it. Being anti- something simply because you think you don't want it is not an argument. I'm sure if it was up for debate before Mario Kart ever existed, the people who now say "I don't want/need Marth or Captain Olimar riding motorbikes" would have said "I don't want/need Mario and Bowser riding go-karts." Nothing in video games exists until it does.

Saying [insert Nintendo character here] doesn't "belong" in Mario Kart is just as silly as saying Olimar or Mr Game and Watch or ROB or Pac Man don't "belong" in Smash. There's nothing about those that says they should be in Smash, other than they are Nintendo characters. Same goes for Mario Kart. They're just Nintendo characters. And finally, the bizarre argument that "I only want Mario-related courses in Mario Kart because otherwise they would be watered-down or stupid" ?? Purely conjecture based on nothing.

Even in MK8D, of the 48 courses available, less than a dozen are based on recognizable and appreciable Mario-related entities. Just because you call a highway "Toad's Turnpike" or a harbor area "Toad Harbor" doesn't make it a Mario-related track. Literally nothing those or Neo Bowser Highway or Moo Moo Meadows or Cheese Land or Ribbon Road or even ALL the Rainbow Roads have ANYTHING to do with Mario. Most tracks are completely made up and not related to Mario in ANY way except maybe randomly naming them after Toad or Wario or Luigi even though nothing inside the actual track has anything to do with the character it's named after.

The arguments against adding actual Nintendo-themed courses from outside of Mario are just as silly as claiming Mario Kart is currently even themed around the Mario universe.
I'm gonna break this weak, weirdly argumentative post down bit by bit

Laughing at these totally conservative "arguments" against the idea of adding more non-Mario universe entities into Mario Kart because they are just as facile as ones that simply say they want it.
"your argument against adding non-Mario stuff is as facile as simply saying you want it" ok but not really because there have been actual arguments as to why that would be lame and the only argument I've seen for "I want Nintendo Kart" is "I want it/it would be cool"

I'm sure if it was up for debate before Mario Kart ever existed, the people who now say "I don't want/need Marth or Captain Olimar riding motorbikes" would have said "I don't want/need Mario and Bowser riding go-karts." Nothing in video games exists until it does.
Before Mario Kart, Nintendo had Mario doing all sorts of non-platforming stuff. Playing golf in NES Open Tournament, racing in 3D Hot Rally, refereeing boxing matches in Punch-Out. Mario was a catch-all character, so having him be in go-karts was never a contentious issue and would not have been had you been paying the slightest bit of attention to what Nintendo was doing with Mario as a character.

Saying [insert Nintendo character here] doesn't "belong" in Mario Kart is just as silly as saying Olimar or Mr Game and Watch or ROB or Pac Man don't "belong" in Smash. There's nothing about those that says they should be in Smash, other than they are Nintendo characters. Same goes for Mario Kart. They're just Nintendo characters. And finally, the bizarre argument that "I only want Mario-related courses in Mario Kart because otherwise they would be watered-down or stupid" ?? Purely conjecture based on nothing.
The fallacy here is that Smash is, and always has been, a crossover franchise. Mario Kart has always been a dedicated Mario spin-off. Link, Isabelle and Inkling were added as DLC characters in 8 DX, and while I frankly didn't like that myself, there's a difference between "crossover roster" and "guest appearance." To draw a parallel to another franchise with the same acronym: the Mortal Kombat series has had guest appearances by Kratos and Jason Voorhees and Robocop. You would not find anyone arguing in good faith that Robocop is a main part of the Mortal Kombat roster.

"I only want Mario-related courses in Mario Kart because otherwise they would be watered down or stupid" Not only do I not understand what that means, I don't think I've ever seen anyone say this.

Even in MK8D, of the 48 courses available, less than a dozen are based on recognizable and appreciable Mario-related entities. Just because you call a highway "Toad's Turnpike" or a harbor area "Toad Harbor" doesn't make it a Mario-related track. Literally nothing those or Neo Bowser Highway or Moo Moo Meadows or Cheese Land or Ribbon Road or even ALL the Rainbow Roads have ANYTHING to do with Mario. Most tracks are completely made up and not related to Mario in ANY way except maybe randomly naming them after Toad or Wario or Luigi even though nothing inside the actual track has anything to do with the character it's named after.
So this is actually where I find the "Nintendo Kart" argument actually falls apart.

You are right!!! Toad Harbour has nothing to do with Toad! Waluigi Pinball has nothing to do with Waluigi! Neo Bowser Highway? NOTHING to do with Bowser! They aren't Mario related at all!!!!

But do you know what they are? They're original tracks, with exceptional and coherent (in regards to the Mario universe) art direction and design, with fantastic soundtracks to match. They're so unique and imaginative that even me, a creative professional working in a creative industry, is awe-struck at the pure imagination put into every single track in that game. I would even argue that the Hyrule, AC, F-Zero and Excitebike tracks work in this regard because the art style/direction has been Mario-ified. They're colourful and they've been altered to match the Mario aesthetic. It's like Mario et al are visiting an in-Mario-universe theme park.

The arguments against adding actual Nintendo-themed courses from outside of Mario are just as silly as claiming Mario Kart is currently even themed around the Mario universe.

So yeah, I disagree with your post entirely because no one is saying "I don't want Nintendo characters because the current courses are mario themed"

Why don't I want non-Mario characters in Kart? That could be it's own post that, maybe later today I can find some time to get my thoughts on that into words. The bullet point version is something like this:

- Not everything needs to be a crossover. Smash is already a perfect crossover game because those character's have unique fighting game movesets that would not translate into a racing game unless you suddenly wanted every character to have access to different item arsenals, which would result in way too much information for the players to have to memorize in order to know how to react.
- Mario Kart actually already has way too many characters divvied up into way too many weight class divisions, and has too many karts/parts that anyone looking for a casual race could potentially spend more time picking the right character/kart combo than actually racing. I could get into why this choice paralysis, and fronting too much information to the player is, in actuality, a poor design choice and results in a lesser/muddied user experience. This would be high-level game design talk that would result in a lot of people who don't understand game design getting mad at me and misconstruing my words into "you want MK to be easier/more casual." A risk I'm willing to take. This is a long bullet point.
- Mario Kart has beautiful original environments and music, and I think Nintendo would be making a huge mistake foregoing all of that originality and creativity just to show you Brinstar again.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
You say this, but they scrapped crossover tracks from the base game despite them having one in 7, thus far scrapped them entirely from tour, and when they did add new content via dlc and the deluxe version, still thought it was a better idea to lean heavily on Mario.

I'm not sure what your argument is considering my point was its not a "terrible" idea adding other IP given they did it perfectly well the first time. If it wasn't a terrible thing in MK8 it won't be in MK9. It's basically ridiculous to say it would be "terrible" to do more and suggest it would come at the expense of track design, doubly so considering the slate of crossovers the series has already done and done very well with several of the crossovers tracks often being cited as the best in the game

Aug 25, 2019
they can make characters unique if they go the double dash route and have unique super weapons for each character. Double dash was probably my favourite MK because it felt like I could customize a load out to suit my play style.
What's unique about each pair in Double Dash can't even compare to the differences between each character in Smash Bros. Although I did love those differences in Double Dash.

Besides, Mario Kart is all about picking your favorite driver to play with. Adding too many differences between them might make it less fun for some people to play with certain drivers. That goes against the point of Mario Kart. It's supposed to be less strategic in that matter, unlike Smash.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Was this meant for the PAL chart?

No, it was meant for this thread since others were discussing about how customers can perceive lower-priced games as lower-quality games and the consequences of devaluing your properties and I wanted to expand on it by bringing up an example of a publisher releasing a great budget-price package and then following it up with a full-price game

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
No, it was meant for this thread since others were discussing about how customers can perceive lower-priced games as lower-quality games and the consequences of devaluing your properties and I wanted to expand on it by bringing up an example of a publisher releasing a great budget-price package and then following it up with a full-price game
Oh I see, carry on!

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I'm starting to watch more and more "video game-themed" YouTube videos nowadays, especially anything regarding E3.

And I gotta say that I do kinda think that BOTW 2 will be there in some way, shape, or form, but in a limited capacity with a Direct solely focusing on it sometime after E3 2021.

Even then, I'm cautious. It could be there or it could not. We'll see.

Great video, thanks for sharing!

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, bringing back an IP is incredibly difficult. It's too early to tell whether the short-to-mid-term success of the Crash Trilogy ended up "hurting" the franchise in the long run but I don't think Crash 4 met Acti's expectations either.

Edengamer25

Aug 29, 2020
The great thing is Nintendo can go so many ways with BOTW2 and we will probably be surprised a lot in 8 days. I can only guess a little on how the world will look like. I bet the settlements will at least be a little bigger though

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Nintendalerts always very reliable. The Ratchet bundle that was found in the same retailer's database than the Pro was just announced for 569€ (it was shown as 599€ on the database while the Pro was 399€).

Quinton

Specialist at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
Spoke with fellow mods and we're in agreement that it's totally OK for this thread to go beyond 20k posts if necessary in order to ensure that the next one lasts us through E3. o7

Aug 25, 2019
Laughing at these totally conservative "arguments" against the idea of adding more non-Mario universe entities into Mario Kart because they are just as facile as ones that simply say they want it. Being anti- something simply because you think you don't want it is not an argument. I'm sure if it was up for debate before Mario Kart ever existed, the people who now say "I don't want/need Marth or Captain Olimar riding motorbikes" would have said "I don't want/need Mario and Bowser riding go-karts." Nothing in video games exists until it does.

'I'm sure if it was up for debate before Mario Kart ever existed' Yeah, but we're talking about adding more non-Mario universe characters into the established series that is Mario Kart. We're not saying a racing game with, for example, all the Smash characters wouldn't work. A lot of us are saying it just wouldn't work for Mario Kart.

As I've said in one of my earlier posts, Smash Bros is way less casual than a series like Mario Kart. The audience is very different. Mario Kart is a very accessible series, while Smash appeals more to the 'core' gamers. Mario Kart is always a very safe game for those that aren't into gaming. Parents playing with kids? Racing games are fun, and it has Mario in the title. It just works. If you plan to add many more characters, you have to give them very different abillities, otherwise it would be purely cosmetic. This results in the following:

1. It will appeal less to the casual audience, because character selection now becomes strategic. It makes it more complicated.
2. If you decide to just add them without making them stand out, the game just becomes messy. It loses identity. It works with the Nintendo universe, but adding characters from different series then feels.. off. There's no reason to do that.

Besides, Smash has always been a big clash of different game worlds.

The argument 'less than a dozen tracks are based on recognizable and appreciable Mario-related entities' is strange. That's the same as saying each world in Super Mario Odyssey should be based on a Mario character or thing. It doesn't make sense. Making tracks based on Metal Gear Solid and putting it in Mario Kart, THAT would be strange. Besides, almost every track in MK8D has something that screams Nintendo. Toad Harbor that you mention, has Toads all over the place, some Mushroom decorations, signs and flags that are Toad themed etc. The same with Neo Bowser Highway.

Moo Moo Meadows, Cheese Land, Ribbon Road and Rainbow road is a different story. They're unique tracks, but they perfectly fit in the Mario Universe. So yes, while there are original tracks, Mario Kart tracks all fit in with the Nintendo universe. That's its main identity. That needs to stay in a Mario Kart.

Status
Not open for further replies.