• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Metroid NES isn't worth playing. The health farming alone ruins the game. Most rooms look the same, and there's no map. I beat it 15 years ago on an emulator, using save states and a guide. That made it bearable, but there's really no point. Zero Mission is better in every single conceivable way.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
You know I remember some people complaining about the lack of handheld type of game releases from Nintendo.

Seems like Nintendo are really giving us those types of games and I'm all for it. It's unfortunate some people are complaining that Nintendo are providing those experiences.

Personally, I feel like Nintendo started off with those big hardcore games in the beginning of the Switch's life up and then after they got the hardcore audience they started to bring back the casual games to penetrate a different audience. Now with Wario Ware coming back I would not be surprised if Rhythm Heaven comes back to satisfy the new casual audience that Animal Crossing brought in. 2022 seems like Nintendo is bringing back those games for their hardcore audience.

So I'm kind of happy they are switching between core and casual with their games. I know lots of people just personally want the usual big core games like Zelda, Mario, Bayonetta, Xenoblade, and etc but honestly, the way they are going about it helps give the Switch a diverse ecosystem.
A balance like in the first 3 years would be perfect. 2017-2019 they balanced it out perfectly.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018

The Switch will likely outsell the PS4 in the next 2 years. Crazy that Nintendo managed to do all of this after how much of a flop the Wii U was.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Metroid NES isn't worth playing. The health farming alone ruins the game. Most rooms look the same, and there's no map. I beat it 15 years ago on an emulator, using save states and a guide. That made it bearable, but there's really no point. Zero Mission is better in every single conceivable way.
If only it was available on Switch *grumbles at Nintendo*

I think it's more the specific change in this case. At least on mobile you can mistake it for something entirely different and it isn't as "bad" as the original image, which I feel like is the intent of an avatar bet
This new one should be better. Just applied a realistic filter to it, so it gives a unique identity without altering the image too much.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Just got my copy of Samus Returns out of the mail. This week keeps getting better and better! It's 'Troid Time!!

Not that it means much, but Samus Returns is the #1 Best Seller in 3DS Games (Amazon US). 👍 I'm sure Nintendo is liking the small boost in the 3DS eshop as well.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Crazy how we are now talking about how BoTW 2 could release in 2023 when most of us here were sure it would release in 2021 just a little while ago. Oh well, Nintendo can take their time to make the GOAT once again.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone thinks BotW 2 is coming H1 2022 is kidding themselves. If E3 is physical in 2022 we'll get a sky temple built out in Nintendo's booth.

In a single showing, we wen't from '2021 hopeful; early H1 2022 guaranteed', all the way to 'H2 2022 ...if we're lucky'

I should just throw out any expectations I have for the game out the window.

How about that Metroid Dread. Pretty cool eh'?

Crazy how we are now talking about how BoTW 2 could release in 2023 when most of us here were sure it would release in 2021 just a little while ago. Oh well, Nintendo can take their time to make the GOAT once again.

And how just a bit before the pandemic folks like myself were humouring 2020 even (based on Zell's comments). Many thought that with the frameworks and processes for developing the first game already laid out, the sequel would take less time. I can only assume whatever this team wants is not just 'more of the same', and whatever we think we know about the game so far is probably incorrect.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't sure where else to post this, but I guess this thread works since it's a general Nintendo thread?

I'm playing through Super Metroid at the moment since it's the only non-remade 2D Metroid game I have yet to play through, and

Jesus Christ, Crocomire's death is horrifying. Its skin melts off when it falls into lava, and you watch it become nothing but bone.

It's rad as hell, but completely unexpected lol.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm bummed that BotW2 is likely late 2022, but I can't be too bummed. They're releasing Metroid Dread and remaking Advance Wars. I know it's not on Switch (maybe Pro though eventually), but Elden Ring looks like it could scratch that BotW itch. It won't have the same puzzle elements, but an open-sh world with From's attention to level design sounds amazing.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019

Imagine if this had been advance wars

This reveal might be the greatest reveal by a major gaming company in the past decade. I literally screamed "FUCK YES" at my screen. I knew they said it wasn't going to be Advance Wars but the hype they created made me think they were just going to surprise us with it anyway. Absolutely acceptable to do this to us. Once they knew Advance was expected, they shouldn't have cancelled the announcement.

Oh hey you were the OP in that thread

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Add me to the growing list of people playing Super Metroid. Tried it out a few months ago, only made it 15 minutes in and hated the controls. Now I like them? It's weird. And this isn't even the first game I've given a second chance to and liked today. I didn't like the Immortals Fenyx Rising Switch port when I played the demo a few months back, didn't like the framerate and the graphics compared to the Xbox Series S version. Tried the demo again today, loved it and bought the full game. Wonder what other games I should give second chances to...

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Every new open world game protagonist: I can climb up any wall and surface now.

Link in Breath of the Wild 2:
1Yv1.gif

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Add me to the growing list of people playing Super Metroid. Tried it out a few months ago, only made it 15 minutes in and hated the controls. Now I like them? It's weird.
I'm glad I'm not the only one lol. I think I spoiled myself, because I played through Zero Mission and Fusion before I touched Super back when I was a kid. I was really used to how fast-paced those games were (especially Zero Mission), so Super always just felt really sluggish to me since Samus moves slower and is more floaty when jumping. But I'm really enjoying it now, and I think I kind of appreciate the different movement speed-- it really helps me focus more on the environment, explore, and get immersed. The game oozes atmosphere.

Really digging it so far, and glad it seems to have finally clicked with me all these years later.

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
I'm glad I had to stop playing Super Metroid tonight in the location that I paused in, because I think I'm already lost? hahaha

Hopefully a fresh perspective tomorrow shows me the way forward

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
Yeah, they do kinda seem on track to have only 2 new mainline 3D entries this decade as well. One in 2022/2023 and the next in 2027/2028. Hopefully they surprise us.

I wanna barf typing out 2028.

To be fair, Zelda has always had pretty long release cycles. There were only 2 home console Zeldas in the 90's despite development being much cheaper then.

Hopefully Grezzo and EAD can fill in the gaps with 2D Zelda.

Spheromancer

Sep 24, 2020
IMO theres no way BOTW2 comes out late enough for another console. Pro sure, but no way its delalyed that much for an actual Switch successor to launch on. Switch doesnt have its own Zelda debut.

NES: Zelda 1/2
SNES: A Link to the Past
N64: Ocarina/Majora's Mask
GCN: Wind Waker/Twilight Princess
Wii: Skyward Sword
WiiU: Breath of the Wild
Switch: ---

Sure BOTW is on the Switch, but BOTW2 is the Switch's Zelda game

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nawww. Theres a mainline Zelda for every console. Switch doesnt have its own Zelda yet since its technically a WiiU game
If, and I think this is a big if the schedule worked out this way, they would easily make that choice to delay BotW2 to boost the Switch 2's release. BotW is practically a Switch game.

To be fair, Zelda has always had pretty long release cycles. There were only 2 home console Zeldas in the 90's despite development being much cheaper then.

Hopefully Grezzo and EAD can fill in the gaps with 2D Zelda.
Oh for sure, it's the semi-regular cadence for them. Aligning them with a new console works out particularly well. The Switch is a different beast though from launching the Wii with Twilight Princess and launching Skyward Sword at near the end of the Wii's life. Hopefully Nintendo can pull off with the Switch what Sony achieved with the PS4 in 2020.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
IMO theres no way BOTW2 comes out late enough for another console. Pro sure, but no way its delalyed that much for an actual Switch successor to launch on. Switch doesnt have its own Zelda debut.

NES: Zelda 1/2
SNES: A Link to the Past
N64: Ocarina/Majora's Mask
GCN: Wind Waker/Twilight Princess
Wii: Skyward Sword
WiiU: Breath of the Wild
Switch: ---

Sure BOTW is on the Switch, but BOTW2 is the Switch's Zelda game

I was joking - not sure if anybody else is humoring the idea.

I foolishly still have faith that it'll come out before holiday 2022. Ever the optimist

Spheromancer

Sep 24, 2020
If, and I think this is a big if the schedule worked out this way, they would easily make that choice to delay BotW2 to boost the Switch 2's release. BotW is practically a Switch game.

I think Nintendo wants the current Switch to last a lot longer than what people are assuming. Especially with the Switch Pro coming out, I could see this family of consoles being another 5 years before they decide to drop a new one

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
So my 2021 purchases are looking like

Definite:
Zelda: Skyward Sword
Ys IX
Metroid Dread
Axiom Verge

Likely:
Pokemon D/P Remakes
Advance Wars Reboot Camp
The Great Ace Attorney

We'll see/probably when on sale:
Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania

Then there's the matter of catching up on games I missed such as Famicon Detective Club, Mass Effect Trilogy, and Nier Automata.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I think BOTW 2 will release in 2022. Ever since Switch started they have been pretty adamant in keeping release dates, even more after the delay of AC caused them to lose a billion in value. If Nintendo wasn't afraid to keep delay things, they would've announced, shown and slated more games when they seemingly had none last year.

Of course there's still the chance that they don't feel comfortable, but I thing that's minimum from what I'm seeing.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
Damn, Super Metroid is still such an awesome game. I never finished it when I first started playing it a few years ago so I'm restarting the whole thing now thanks to the hype for the new one and it honestly hasn't aged a day.

I honestly can't imagine how mind-blowing it must have been to play it back when it came out. Crazy.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I just realized that this is the first time a mainline 2D and 3D Metroid game will be on the same console. If this doesn't make Metroid take off, nothing ever will.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think Nintendo wants the current Switch to last a lot longer than what people are assuming. Especially with the Switch Pro coming out, I could see this family of consoles being another 5 years before they decide to drop a new one
I think they probably support the Switch for several more years, but the last couple years will coincide with the release of its successor. 2024 seems to me like the time to release the Switch 2. That doesn't match up with the Zelda release schedule I previously posted so I think it's unlikely they would hold off on BotW2 for that long. There is a like a nonzero chance in my mind that it could happen though. After Twilight Princess & BotW I just kinda assume that delaying a Zelda to launch with a new console is always on the table.

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
I can't wait for after BOTW2 releases, when people will be discussing when the next Zelda game will come out. People will say it doesn't have Covid to deal with this time, they have a better idea of what the game will be, so it must have a shorter dev cycle, right?

And then it somehow releases in 2030.

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
Zero Mission is one of the best remakes ever made. But ignoring that. It's an amazing game. Tho both titles are short so play both honestly.
Play zero mission and then go back and play the original for 10 minutes just to see what it was like and be done with it. I'm all for going back to a series' origins, but the original metroid really doesn't hold up.
If you want to mess around with the NES version and give it a chance go ahead, but Zero Mission is vastly superior. I've tried Metroid dozens of times over the years but never beat it, or even came close.

Zero Mission is my second favorite game in the series.
Ehh I wouldn't play the original game today. It's not one of those old school games that you go back to and think "oh this is neat" despite being dated. It's very rough.

Zero Mission is incredible.
Zero Mission is a strict improvement over the original but if you want the start of the franchise then well you kinda only have one option there
I think it's an unlockable but Zero Mission also has the original. But then you'll need to play Zero Mission first unless the original has already been unlocked.
Wow, thank you, everyone! Really glad there's seems to be a general consensus. I think playing Zero Mission and then just checking out the original is a good idea.

If I could follow up with one more Metroid question...2 or Samus Returns? If the answer is the remake, is the gulf in quality worth $30-40? If it's not, great, I'll save the money, but if it is worth it, I want to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.