• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Nate, loved today's podcast.

I wanted to ask you a question that popped up while I was listening, do you think that Pokemon's celebration had something to do with Zelda's lack of one? I think Nintendo could've recognize that Pokemon always sell more merchandise and games and Covid made them have to select which one to celebrate, I guess.
I don't think Pokemon had any impact on Zelda 35th plans.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This may sound weird to tell a group of core Nintendo fans. But if you're subbed to NSO and haven't played Metroid.

play super Metroid. Please.

This thread is always going on about how the series doesn't sell well and constantly making its fans know that, so I know with those low sales some of y'all haven't played it! ;)

but seriously. It's one of the best games of all time and probably the best aged SNES game. Source: me, who played it in 2014 along with a link to the past for the first time and found that super was miles miles better.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
If someone says that an announcement is imminent, how long do we wait while nothing is announced until we can say with confidence that the rumor was wrong?
The rumors could always be wrong, but I don't believe that. We have heard from different trustworthy sources (Bloomberg, Eurogamer, Nikkei + Insiders like Nate and Emily) that to be soonish releasing hardware exists, so it is save to assume that there is something.
About the soon announcement thing: I trust Mochizuki for now. The month isn't over and Nintendo could still announce it july. If nothing happens, then plans have changed or been misunderstood.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
My immediate reaction to Zelda anniversary thing was that Covid ruined the Mario one and the overall delayed effect it had on their plans in the grand scheme of things made it difficult to have a proper celebration.

plus it was possible Zelda was meant for a 2021 release. And that was the main celebration.

got a feeling since the Game and Watch one are so alike the Mario that seems it was gonna be a 1-2 hit anniversary combo from Nintendo for Mario and Zelda lol.

or it could be that they didn't really plan for a major celebration, even if we all thought it would be easy money.

granted. I don't care much since it seems only anniversaries that end in 5 or 0 (after 10) are cared about lol.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well I just caught a huge break. Walmart had Dread CE's flickering in and out of stock and I managed to score a pre-order. I am on cloud nine!

Now about those amiibos...

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
The rumors could always be wrong, but I don't believe that. We have heard from different trustworthy sources (Bloomberg, Eurogamer, Nikkei + Insiders like Nate and Emily) that to be soonish releasing hardware exists, so it is save to assume that there is something.
About the soon announcement thing: I trust Mochizuki for now. The month isn't over and Nintendo could still announce it july. If nothing happens, then plans have changed or been misunderstood.
Plans can always change, especially regarding when the announcement happens. The key thing, though, is that once the Pro actually goes into production there will be leaks, probably sooner rather than later. So if it starts production in July, we will most likely know soon enough.

I still think we're looking at an announcement in July/August, and then the September Direct will feature a lot of Pro footage and games, and the system will launch sometime between like late September to November. Assuming it's launching in 2021, that is.

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
This may sound weird to tell a group of core Nintendo fans. But if you're subbed to NSO and haven't played Metroid.

play super Metroid. Please.

This thread is always going on about how the series doesn't sell well and constantly making its fans know that, so I know with those low sales some of y'all haven't played it! ;)

but seriously. It's one of the best games of all time and probably the best aged SNES game. Source: me, who played it in 2014 along with a link to the past for the first time and found that super was miles miles better.
Well I just caught a huge break. Walmart had Dread CE's flickering in and out of stock and I managed to score a pre-order. I am on cloud nine!

Now about those amiibos...
I also just managed to nab the CE from Walmart, woo! Celebrating with a first playthrough of Super Metroid as we speak :)

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Wait. I'm catching up with everything (too many threads lol) and I'm seeing a lot of "insiders blown out". What is this about? Was it the DK stuff? I thought that was a hope. Or is it cause of Fire Emblem?

PaultheNerd

Dec 25, 2018
If someone says that an announcement is imminent, how long do we wait while nothing is announced until we can say with confidence that the rumor was wrong?
I don't think anyone stated for certain an announcement will happen soon, just that they speculate it should be imminent due to it going into production soon and leaks are bound to happen because of it.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Wait. I'm catching up with everything (too many threads lol) and I'm seeing a lot of "insiders blown out". What is this about? Was it the DK stuff? I thought that was a hope. Or is it cause of Fire Emblem?

I think it was that practical brush was not able to leak this, and that Vergeben got the Smash character wrong.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
The only thing I'm aware of is people blaming insiders for there not being WW/TPHD. Well, some people are blaming insiders for DK, but that was always just a hope/ a 50/50 chance and those people are being assholes.

And as far as I'm aware... I don't think there ever was a concrete rumor about a new FE? Just a lot of speculation, even if it was informed.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
Plans can always change, especially regarding when the announcement happens. The key thing, though, is that once the Pro actually goes into production there will be leaks, probably sooner rather than later. So if it starts production in July, we will most likely know soon enough.

I still think we're looking at an announcement in July/August, and then the September Direct will feature a lot of Pro footage and games, and the system will launch sometime between like late September to November. Assuming it's launching in 2021, that is.
I agree. Similar to the Switch Lite Launch but probably with a much smaller stock and different release dates per region. Assuming they are able to release it this year, yeah.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I'm aware of is people blaming insiders for there not being WW/TPHD. Well, some people are blaming insiders for DK, but that was always just a hope/ a 50/50 chance and those people are being assholes.

And as far as I'm aware... I don't think there ever was a concrete rumor about a new FE? Just a lot of speculation, even if it was informed.
I completely forgot about the WW/TP rumor

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you've never played Metroid at all and have patience, I'd recommend playing the original Metroid and then Metroid II: Return of Samus before playing Super Metroid. While Super Metroid stands on its own, I can't help but feel the experience is enhanced when you have played the previous games.

I played those games in release order back when they launched (well I believe I played Metroid 1 in 1990 or so) and going back to Zebes in Super Metroid was fucking HYPE. If you ever played MGS1 and then MGS4 then you know the type of feels I'm referring to.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
There is no Switch Pro.
77d56751f81414448518931483ecb1201c0d7420.gifv

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
If you've never played Metroid at all and have patience, I'd recommend playing the original Metroid and then Metroid II: Return of Samus before playing Super Metroid. While Super Metroid stands on its own, I can't help but feel the experience is enhanced when you have played the previous games.

I played those games in release order back when they launched (well I believe I played Metroid 1 in 1990 or so) and going back to Zebes in Super Metroid was fucking HYPE. If you ever played MGS1 and then MGS4 then you know the type of feels I'm referring to.
The original Metroid, while being dated and hard as hell, still holds up at least to some degree (although Zero Mission blows it out of the water, obviously). Metroid 2... uhhh... I don't know if I can recommend that one at all.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020

I have never played Metroid, but I'm going to start with Dread. I can't really play old games and I say this as someone who doesn't care about graphics at all, but control and precision is something dear to me now

babycakin

Nov 2, 2019
So glad I got the Metroid Dread CE ordered through Gamestop even though I was hoping to get it from Amazon. Friend of mine got 2 sets of amiibo, one for me, so I'm all set!

Also, I been seeing some peeps purchase list for the rest of the year. Please, don't forget about FATAL FRAME 5!

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
I had no internet access for a whole week <_> just found out about Nintendo's E3's reveals.

IMO they had an excellent showing.

Btw I spent a portion of the past week playing Tropical Freeze. Fucking magical.

I suck so bad at the time trials tho.

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
Should I play Metroid NES or Zero Mission? In a vacuum, disregard one's potential access to either.

If the answer is Zero Mission, I can't help but worry about missing out on the original - not even for authenticity necessarily but just cause it's the start of the whole franchise, that kind of feeling, you know. Yay or nay?

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Should I play Metroid NES or Zero Mission? In a vacuum, disregard one's potential access to either.

If the answer is Zero Mission, I can't help but worry about missing out on the original - not even for authenticity necessarily but just cause it's the start of the whole franchise, that kind of feeling, you know. Yay or nay?
Zero Mission is one of the best remakes ever made. But ignoring that. It's an amazing game. Tho both titles are short so play both honestly.

rabidtanuki

Oct 28, 2017

Play zero mission and then go back and play the original for 10 minutes just to see what it was like and be done with it. I'm all for going back to a series' origins, but the original metroid really doesn't hold up.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

If you want to mess around with the NES version and give it a chance go ahead, but Zero Mission is vastly superior. I've tried Metroid dozens of times over the years but never beat it, or even came close.

Zero Mission is my second favorite game in the series.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017

Ehh I wouldn't play the original game today. It's not one of those old school games that you go back to and think "oh this is neat" despite being dated. It's very rough.

Zero Mission is incredible.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019

Zero Mission is a strict improvement over the original but if you want the start of the franchise then well you kinda only have one option there

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017

I think it's an unlockable but Zero Mission also has the original. But then you'll need to play Zero Mission first unless the original has already been unlocked.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017

Bloomberg for hardware is probably the most trustworthy cause their sources seem to be supply chain connected. Anyway the actual bloomberg article never said definitely before e3, the quotes were...

"may be announced ahead of the E3 conference" (less certain)

"plans to begin assembly of its new Switch as soon as July" (more certain)

"Assemblers will start shipping the new model -- whose commercial name is known only to a handful of people within the Kyoto-based company -- as early as July and production is planned to ramp up to a peak in the October-December quarter. " (so very secretive)

Knowing when Nintendo announces something is a pure guessing game. Knowing if the product exists is a lot more easier

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm missing out on trying to nab collectors editions and all that jazz, I'm fully digital.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg for hardware is probably the most trustworthy cause their sources seem to be supply chain connected. Anyway the actual bloomberg article never said definitely before e3, the quotes were...

"may be announced ahead of the E3 conference" (less certain)

"plans to begin assembly of its new Switch as soon as July" (more certain)

"Assemblers will start shipping the new model -- whose commercial name is known only to a handful of people within the Kyoto-based company -- as early as July and production is planned to ramp up to a peak in the October-December quarter. " (so very secretive)

Knowing when Nintendo announces something is a pure guessing game. Knowing if the product exists is a lot more easier

Yeah it's important to separate what they actually know (had sources from supply chain) vs what they predicted (logically this year, probably before E3 so that publishers can announce their game).

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
You know I remember some people complaining about the lack of handheld type of game releases from Nintendo.

Seems like Nintendo are really giving us those types of games and I'm all for it. It's unfortunate some people are complaining that Nintendo are providing those experiences.

Personally, I feel like Nintendo started off with those big hardcore games in the beginning of the Switch's life up and then after they got the hardcore audience they started to bring back the casual games to penetrate a different audience. Now with Wario Ware coming back I would not be surprised if Rhythm Heaven comes back to satisfy the new casual audience that Animal Crossing brought in. 2022 seems like Nintendo is bringing back those games for their hardcore audience.

So I'm kind of happy they are switching between core and casual with their games. I know lots of people just personally want the usual big core games like Zelda, Mario, Bayonetta, Xenoblade, and etc but honestly, the way they are going about it helps give the Switch a diverse ecosystem.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Hmm. So I take it that you're not a fan of changing it at all? Or just my take on the avatar.
I think it's more the specific change in this case. At least on mobile you can mistake it for something entirely different and it isn't as "bad" as the original image, which I feel like is the intent of an avatar bet

Status
Not open for further replies.