• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 9, 2020
Thinking about it, I feel like Next Level Games has a better chance of creating a new IP now that they are under Nintendo's direct ownership. As the second Western studio in the family, makes me more excited at the kind of game they might come up with on their own. Thoughts?

darth_diablo

Jun 7, 2021
No it's a new Rabbid in Sparks of Hope. She's carrying what looks similar to a Buster Sword like Cloud Strife. She shows up towards the end of the trailer.

Well yeah, but WHO is she? She's not a character I recognize anywhere else. I thought your reply was referring to a character that might have been in original M+R, but you clarified - it's the same character we saw in trailer - yes, we're aware she's in the trailer too but WHO is she tho? Haha

Oct 26, 2017
Thinking about it, I feel like Next Level Games has a better chance of creating a new IP now that they are under Nintendo's direct ownership. As the second Western studio in the family, makes me more excited at the kind of game they might come up with on their own. Thoughts?
Like a new IP not tied to any other Nintendo IP? I don't expect it will change the situation much.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
Right, but the question is how to measure such a metric if not by using Switch accounts.

generally it is done by uplay accounts as most ubi games require you to have some form of linking to it, as well as telemetry events based on what the user account is on the respective console playing

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well yeah, but WHO is she? She's not a character I recognize anywhere else. I thought your reply was referring to a character that might have been in original M+R, but you clarified - it's the same character we saw in trailer - yes, we're aware she's in the trailer too but WHO is she tho? Haha
Speculation is Bowser so far. We'll see in due time.

Anyone here got actual figures on Samus Returns sales? Really hoping this supposed Metroid V sells decently.
Could've sworn someone from Nintendo said it did well. Can't find it though.

LoboRundas

Oct 25, 2017
Remember the robotic arm that appeared in Reggie's farewell?

reggie.jpg

Next to Mario's ass. Did we ever figure out what Retro was referencing? That could be a new IP
That arm reminds me a lot of the arms of the Federation Force's robots, but dunno if they would reference that in this picture filled of games they have done

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here got actual figures on Samus Returns sales? Really hoping this supposed Metroid V sells decently.

All we know is it's below 1m. I wouldn't take much weight from it though, 3ds software was dead by that point, fire emblem echoes also did sub 1m and that didn't stop three houses showing modest growth over the prior, more successful 3ds entries.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
If there's a problem with ARMS, it's not the sales, it's the fact that it sold well initially and completely disappeared soon after. Don't want to even imagine what the player count might look like these days. I'm sure player engagement is an important metric for Nintendo.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I agree. I'm assuming you heard it from that one insider.
Yeah, they were non-specific and I'm honestly not sure if they were giving legit info, but I feel like a new IP could be there.
They usually have a new IP or two each year, I think that's pretty likely for Tuesday.
Yep. But I'm wondering if we'll see something else new from EPD 9, or maybe Monolith Soft. EPD 4 have been on new IP duty almost every year since Switch launched (and again this weekend!).
I for one am excited for Punishment & Sin, developed by ex-Treasure staff under a brand new development house.
Transgression & Damnation confirmed.
I mean, EPD 9 are a good new IP candidate, I think.
Good Feel has had something in the works for a while. You never know! Could also benefit from a nice Treehouse gameplay showcase.
Good-Feel's new IP should be self-published, unless Nintendo liked it and decided to pick it up. But then I think the aim of the Osaka team at Good-Feel is for self-published, self-owned IP, and I don't know if partnering with Nintendo would really achieve what Good-Feel seem to want with their new team.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm replaying Super Metroid in order to channel the cosmic energy towards a Metroid V reveal this Tuesday. Y'all should do the same.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
No. It was an inside joke. Former Retro employees confirmed this on twitter.
Do you happen to have the link to this?
I wouldn't say clearly. Falcon is in Smash…
F-Zero X was a Player's Choice on the N64, which means it sold over a million units. Keep in mind that a million back then is entirely different from a million today, so there was a basis for believing that Nintendo would explore F Zero in future years, which ended up happening.

Oct 26, 2017
The thing that makes me think it could be possible is that apparently Retro were working on new IPs, but they were scrapped. I feel like first party stufios would have an easier time pitching a new IP to Nintendo compared to second party devs.
Maybe if it's something that needs a huge budget securing for it, but idk.
There are examples of new IP that they have taken on from Western devs, like Art Academy, Snipperclips, The Stretchers. So they don't need to be someone super close with Nintendo.

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
So just catching up with this thread I found out Mario + Rabbids sold 7.5m units? That's a much bigger success than I thought.

People still cite the outdated 2 million figure but that's really Ubisoft's fault for not updating the numbers (if it's that big a hit you'd think they'd want to show it?)

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So just catching up with this thread I found out Mario + Rabbids sold 7.5m units? That's a much bigger success than I thought.

People still cite the outdated 2 million figure but that's really Ubisoft's fault for not updating the numbers (if it's that big a hit you'd think they'd want to show it?)

Not quite sold 7.5m, it has had 7.5m players. Which means it probably sold between 5 and 6m.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
I doubt it. I mean the band was at their peak over 20 years ago so (I had a small teenage crush on Shirley Manson) it would be very strange for even Nintendo to use their name to sell their brand new console revision.
Gold star

Could've sworn someone from Nintendo said it did well. Can't find it though.
I remember that too, something along the lines of "performed well for a release on a winding down console"

I'm replaying Super Metroid in order to channel the cosmic energy towards a Metroid V reveal this Tuesday. Y'all should do the same.
I've replayed every mainline game (other than hunters) since the beginning of the year 😂

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference in expectation from the Mario Kart team in comparison to Monolithsoft.
I'd honestly be shocked if ARMS wasn't significantly more profitable.

I'd also be shocked if Nintendo expected even Splatoon 2 like sales from a brand new EPD IP. Being from the "Mario Kart Team" (I don't think this means what people think it means, EPD is way more fluid than that) doesn't magically change this.

Then there's the fact that Nintendo themselves went out of their way to say it met their expectations.

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
In the end Ring Fit Adventure is the best new IP in the past 5 years. That's all that matters.
I really need to be more consistent with Ring Fit Adventure but every time I play it I have so much fun.
generally it is done by uplay accounts as most ubi games require you to have some form of linking to it, as well as telemetry events based on what the user account is on the respective console playing
Ah right. Do you have to connect to uplay for M+R? I don't remember needing to but it has been a while since I played.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
6 times each since it was first rumoured to be coming to switch, finished all three in the same day a couple of times haha

oh my gosh. HOW. I am not into speedrunning personally, but 1 and 2 are in the running for my favorite games of all-time (1 is my most finished It multiple times game period) and I don't think I could finish any of the 3 in under 25 hours. Each. I probably just get too caught up in collecting all the missiles, scanning 100%, reading, and justvibing to the atmosphere/music.

that's wild though, impressive work.

KilgoreWolfe

Apr 13, 2021
I was getting that error code whenever I tried to download the GBG demo but thankfully it just started working. Was legit worried I wouldn't be able to download anything on my Switch anymore. 😅

Status
Not open for further replies.