• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
We have no idea if it means that or not. The language used "aiming" basically gives them free reign to do whatever - if it "slips" into 2023 then they simply missed their target and oh what a nice co-incidence its now able to launch with Switch 2 - I mean they've done exactly this in 2 of the last 3 generations so not sure why you think it is so outlandish lol

I really don't think the Switch 2 is going to be, like, a Q1 2023 product.

If you think they're planning on pushing BotW2 to 2023 to launch alongside new hardware, why would they put "2022" in the trailer and tell the public (including their shareholders) they're intending for it to be a 2022 title? What benefit does that serve them? They could have just ran the trailer without the date. They're trying to sell a different Zelda game this summer, so it's probably for their benefit for everyone to think that BotW2 is further away, actually.

I like how you try to act like there's a pattern of Nintendo delaying Zelda games onto new hardware while ignoring that the two times they did this, it was because the Zelda title was a late-stage release on a failed console. Is the Switch performing like a Gamecube or Wii U? They didn't push Skyward Sword off onto the Wii U because they didn't need to.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Pokemon BDSP got a bit of a facelift - new lighting? Looks much better :)
Screen-Shot-2021-07-06-at-9-53-34-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2021-07-06-at-9-53-54-AM.png
Yeah, it definitely looks improved, though hard to tell for sure.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
My wallet is going to be screaming in pain on October 8th. Metroid Dread special edition, Metroid amiibo, and the Switch OLED model.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
wonder if Nintendo is going to go the smartphone route with the Switch every year or two being new system(s) but varies on the amount of upgrade.

Switch OG(2017)
Switch Lite(2019)
Switch OG v2(2019)
Switch OLED (2021)
?Switch Pro/2? (2022/2023)

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I guess this means that the Switch won't have a super-long life, with a legit successor probably coming in 2024 or so. I can't really see the Switch lasting another 5 years with its existing power level, especially with the current-gen systems becoming more prevalent. I suppose it makes sense, as I doubt that Nintendo would want to go 6-8 years without a new Smash or Mario Kart game.
I've had 2024 pegged for "Switch 2 year" for some time. Just seems about right. 2022 seems like it's going to be pretty stacked, and then 2023 will sort of be a wind-down year with more core-focused games (Metroid Prime 4, a Fire Emblem and/or Monolith Soft game) and also a new Pokémon generation. And then 2024 will have the Switch 2 with a new Mario Kart, maybe a new Smash, etc.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, at this point i am expecting BotW2 to be delayed until 2023 (or even later) to be held as a launch game for Switch 2. I do not think we are getting a Switch Pro at all.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
Lol, for anyone who mostly plays docked this is $50 more for 32GB of storage and an Ethernet port. If this manages to sell well (it probably will), Nintendo are fucking wizards for managing to do it at $50 more than a Series S.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
I also think it's possible successor won't come out till around 2024 or 2025 and Nintendo does ride the Switch itself for longer like we projected. It does mean a longer wait till a proper upgrade and missing some of the 3rd party ports from AAA games we were hoping for which is shame. There's some big games I would love to play portably

carlosfilho

Feb 3, 2021
I really don't think the Switch 2 is going to be, like, a Q1 2023 product.

If you think they're planning on pushing BotW2 to 2023 to launch alongside new hardware, why would they put "2022" in the trailer and tell the public (including their shareholders) they're intending for it to be a 2022 title? What benefit does that serve them? They could have just ran the trailer without the date. They're trying to sell a different Zelda game this summer, so it's probably for their benefit for everyone to think that BotW2 is further away, actually.

I like how you try to act like there's a pattern of Nintendo delaying Zelda games onto new hardware while ignoring that the two times they did this, it was because the Zelda title was a late-stage release on a failed console. Is the Switch performing like a Gamecube or Wii U? They didn't push Skyward Sword off onto the Wii U because they didn't need to.

I agree, there's no need to delay BOTW2 even further just to launch it together with a Switch 2/Pro, the Switch is a successful console. I think it's safe to say now that these two releases aren't related. Maybe they were before the pandemic, we'll never know...

PaultheNerd

Dec 25, 2018
I really can't see them putting out a more expensive model just for them to release another one that has a singular difference a year after.

On hostility to insiders, Oled Switch

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Official Staff Communication
We understand this announcement goes against some of the insider leaks. Being disappointed and upset with some of the those leaks and insider sources in general is fine, but direct call-outs / hostility towards any specific insiders will be met with moderation.

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
I guess Nintendo plans to release Switch 2 sooner than we thought. I am thinking March 2023 with Mario Kart 9 as launch title.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea who the intended audience is then.
people who don't have a switch yet

Either way, I'd be surprised if they try to hold out with the existing specs for another 5+ years. Plus they don't support their games for very long anyway. And as mentioned before, the pandemic likely screwed up their plans to a considerable degree to begin with.
not supporting their games for very long is a mistake in this changing market. at least for games like Splatoon. maybe Splatoon 3 would get a major update whenever the next switch does come out though

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
You got your wish but with a less powerful hardware, I don't see that as a loss.
Well, the wish was that there to be massive hype around the new revision and, because Nintendo has basically no other software to really take advantage of it, Metroid would reap the benefits of this massive hype. It's cool that it's still getting pushed with this but it doesn't have the same level of appeal as a more powerful unit.

Still great to see though.

ozeiyo

Feb 12, 2020
I have no idea who the intended audience is then.
People who don't own a switch yet and might want to pick one up this holiday, people who own one since day one and might want to give the OLED model a go because of increased battery life/faulty joycons/money to burn . It's a mid-gen refresh to keep interest up and releases just in time for Metroid and Pokémon.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Just start reporting them. They're in herewhining about insiders being wrong and how they know everything
We're not allowed to express disappointment and point out how they were wrong? Like the staff post said, it's fine as long as we aren't calling out or harassing specific ones.

Plum

May 31, 2018
apparently the OLED is still capped at 720p lol.

That's the least surpising part. Native 720p is fine for a screen that size, and helps tremendously with battery life.

The disappointment stems from the fact that a significant number of Switch games aren't even 720p, with some titles like HW: AoC and Xenoblade 2 falling below 480p at times. Not having a power boost means that games are only going to look worse resolution-wise instead of having the chance to look better.

Status
Not open for further replies.