• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Golf would benefit more from having a tour or circuit system/campaign (and more courses to go with it) for single player rather than an RPG mode. I started playing the adventure mode in Super Rush and was like "wtf am I talking to a toad instead of playing golf"

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Does Mario Golf have the golden rings challenge mode in it? That was one of my favorite parts of 64 and Toadstool Tour, but I haven't played any of the games since those.

Spheromancer

Sep 24, 2020
Nintendo thread is always the best. I dont even have to comment, I can come back a day later and just read and be entertained every time. I love all of you

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
Holy shit, the demo took NEO: TWEWY from a "probably later this year" to "day freaking one". Game runs fantastic, plays fantastic, the dialogue is great, and the music is god tier. Sorry Skyward Sword, but you're gonna have to wait. This is now my most anticipated game of July, and I've never even played the original. This is so good.

Fully recommend playing TWEWY. Both the DS and Switch versions are great, and there's already a bunch of ties to the original and Final Remix in the demo for NEO.

Nov 2, 2017
Hope all is good. Been finding myself enjoying a few games lately. Yesterday I had a full blown migraine that lasted all day. Haven't had a migraine in almost four months. Headaches are one thing but migraines are something else entirely

I'm gonna try and get some games I missed out the first half of the year, mostly due to headaches abs other things in the way, is monster hunter rise still at a good place?

Need to get 3D World and Pokémon Snap. May have to skip Skyward Sword if I get some of them.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
I am so underwhelmed by Mario Golf's reception. I've never played a Mario Golf game before and was looking forward to try it when I saw the story mode looked great on the treehouse, but it's apparently bare ones like usual.

I don't understand why Camelot refuses to make a good RPG like they used to, and after getting my hopes up so many times for nothing, I think they never will.

It's a great game but feels a bit rushed in some aspects. I am currently enjoying the game for the gameplay, but wish there was more. It's good at being a party game, and that's fine for me.

Nov 2, 2017
Bit late to discuss but the e3 direct has gotten me excited for the switch in the second half of the year. I don't know how I'm gonna alternate between that and my ps5.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Hope all is good. Been finding myself enjoying a few games lately. Yesterday I had a full blown migraine that lasted all day. Haven't had a migraine in almost four months. Headaches are one thing but migraines are something else entirely

I'm gonna try and get some games I missed out the first half of the year, mostly due to headaches abs other things in the way, is monster hunter rise still at a good place?

Need to get 3D World and Pokémon Snap. May have to skip Skyward Sword if I get some of them.
Glad you are feeling better. I think the three games you mentioned are very good to juggle. Extremely different and good palate cleanser from each one.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Today was the first time I've been on the eShop since the Direct, and it is still WILD to see Advanced Wars on there.

Just bought this earlier today. Finally get to try this series out and I can see why it is so popular. It's really fun trying to land all these tricks

I grew up playing some of the games on Gamecube (I think it was THPS 3, maybe?), but it's been yeeeeaaaars. Excited to jump back in.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Pokémon Snap felt like it came and went.

and probably just me cause I forgot it even came out lol. It was a pretty eventful June.

also BOTW on the NA eshop top 30 twice with the bundle lol

Spheromancer

Sep 24, 2020
What's the deal with Advanced Wars? I've never played it but I know people obsess over it and always wanted it remade. What's so great about it?

Not hating, genuinely interested

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
What's the deal with Advanced Wars? I've never played it but I know people obsess over it and always wanted it remade. What's so great about it?

It's just a fun Well design SRPG, story is more minimal. Nothing crazy really. Genuine fun.

tho people didn't want it remade. More like they wanted a new entry.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

For series fans, the last game went very post apocalyptic and wasn't the best theme for the final game. Still a great game. Lots of fans wanted a return to the more light hearted aesthetic. Also, fire emblem went way more anime and added the relationship elements. I myself prefer the pure gameplay rather than the side elements and think lots of fans did as well.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the thing with Mario Golf is that in the Switch era we've seen so many other Nintendo franchises get new life breathed into them that on the rare occasion that we get bare-bones, by the numbers installments, they stick out more than they would have in the past. I feel like the standards have kind of been raised the past few years even higher than they used to be for Nintendo first-party, simply because Nintendo's been putting out all-time greats in several of their franchises.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I think the thing with Mario Golf is that in the Switch era we've seen so many other Nintendo franchises get new life breathed into them that on the rare occasion that we get bare-bones, by the numbers installments, they stick out more than they would have in the past. I feel like the standards have kind of been raised the past few years even higher than they used to be for Nintendo first-party, simply because Nintendo's been putting out all-time greats in several of their franchises.

Sure but I just don't think Camelot is big enough to create a meaty story mode for these Mario sports games like people want them to, unfortunately.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017

They're great games. The gameplay is amazing and pretty addictive if you're into strategy games, plus they look and sound really really cool. It's a treasure of a franchise. You should try it if you're curious.

Spheromancer

Sep 24, 2020
Besides prime video game news season, I hate this time of year. Mothers day and Fathers day always back to back months and then I have my Dads bday June 15th, Moms bday June 29th, GF's bday July 6th. I lose so much money with the combination of these and preordering new games every year. I'm down like $1000 already

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Advance Wars is classic Fire Emblem style gameplay without the RPG. If you like that, you'll probably like AW.

I wish I liked AW more than I did but I just don't like FE/AW gameplay that much without other systems on top of it. I'd love another Batallion Wars kind of game but by IntSys or Nintendo themselves.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Advance Wars is classic Fire Emblem style gameplay without the RPG. If you like that, you'll probably like AW.

I wish I liked AW more than I did but I just don't like FE/AW gameplay that much without other systems on top of it. I'd love another Batallion Wars kind of game but by IntSys or Nintendo themselves.
Straight battles without anything else in the way of leveling, job classes, etc., sounds like a big nope to me. That's my favorite part of those games

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Straight battles without anything else in the way of leveling, job classes, etc., sounds like a big nope to me. That's my favorite part of those games

Yeah, I'm the type of person who needs jobs, leveling, etc in my strategy games generally. Advance Wars obviously has its differences, it's kind of apt to think of it like an RTS kind of game where you have a ramp up of building units, progressing to different units, capturing bases in each map.

But it lacks the kind of progression that really gets me into these types of games. Straight strategy just isn't my style, usually.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I love AW but can't get into FE. I forced myself to play through Awakening and kinda hated it. The gameplay itself felt a bit too simplistic, on the other hand I couldn't make any sense of the job system. I felt it was like AW+FFT but without everything that makes them great.

The overwhelming anime stuff was the nail on the coffin.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
All I have to say about Chaos is

5ebtx2.jpg

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I love AW but can't get into FE. I forced myself to play through Awakening and kinda hated it. The gameplay itself felt a bit too simplistic, on the other hand I couldn't make any sense of the job system. I felt it was like AW+FFT but without everything that makes them great.

The overwhelming anime stuff was the nail on the coffin.
Awakening is actually one of the worst Fire emblems gameplay wise. It's incredibly simplistic and lacks in good map design. And the good maps it has is ruined with bad map objectives.

you're better off playing Conquest on the 3DS for a good gameplay Fire emblem. But it's story might make you hate the series or make you laugh at it's ridiculousness.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't like modern Fire Emblem (Awakening forward) it's definitely recommended you play one of the more classic titles. Three Houses is the only FE I love, though. But the series is beloved for a reason.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Awakening is actually one of the worst Fire emblems gameplay wise. It's incredibly simplistic and lacks in good map design. And the good maps it has is ruined with bad map objectives.

you're better off playing Conquest on the 3DS for a good gameplay Fire emblem. But it's story might make you hate the series or make you laugh at it's ridiculousness.

If you don't like modern Fire Emblem (Awakening forward) it's definitely recommended you play one of the more classic titles. Three Houses is the only FE I love, though. But the series is beloved for a reason.

Yeah, I've thought about playing the older ones, before the series was taken over by underage waifus, but they aren't easily available and I'm not too keen on getting out of my way to give the series another chance. Maybe if Nintendo releases a collection someday.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Yeah, I'm the type of person who needs jobs, leveling, etc in my strategy games generally. Advance Wars obviously has its differences, it's kind of apt to think of it like an RTS kind of game where you have a ramp up of building units, progressing to different units, capturing bases in each map.

But it lacks the kind of progression that really gets me into these types of games. Straight strategy just isn't my style, usually.
You're not selling me on this at all, if anything you're just pounding the nail into the coffin :P. I love tactics games, like FFT and FE and RPG-heavy ones in particular, but I HATE RTS games. Just not my genre.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
You're not selling me on this at all, if anything you're just pounding the nail into the coffin :P. I love tactics games, like FFT and FE and RPG-heavy ones in particular, but I HATE RTS games. Just not my genre.

Haha, yeah. Maybe we'll get a demo. I just didn't want to be too harsh on Advance Wars, so I felt the need to explain some.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

it's not real time at all. Strictly turn based. There just isn't any leveling or real unit production. It's you and the tactics on set maps. Basically the purest form of strategy a la table top RPGs.

Status
Not open for further replies.