• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
"We ported one of the worst games in the franchise to modern platforms, better buy it if you want more!"

I mean it is the highest-rated Monkey Ball in the series after the original two and their various ports/compilations. If they really didn't give a crap they'd have given us an HD port of the 3DS game.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
bit of a bummer, banana blitz is almost certainly the worst monkey ball I've played. I have fonder memories of Super Monkey Ball Adventure than this one lol....i'd be all over either of the first 2 but idk if I would go for this at $40.....

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Wouldn't Banana Blitz without motion control would be ridiculously easy unless the levels are changed up? The difficulty was derived almost entirely from the control scheme.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
So much Banana Blitz hate in here. Ya'll crazy. lol

This was a fantastic reboot of the series that was perfectly timed with the launch of a new multiplayer-focused console back in 2006, and now's as good a time as any to bring it back as a multi-platform release for modern consoles. It's almost shocking how much SEGA nailed the motion controls for being one of the very first Wii games to market. And now I get a chance to replay it all these years later with Joy-Cons that are many magnitudes more advanced than the Wiimote? HECK YEAH, GIVE IT TO ME NOW.

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
I never played this one, but after reading the wiki and watching a gameplay video, I would have much preferred a SMB 1+2 compilation.

The mini games seem very uninspired and heavily reliant on motion controls. I'm guessing this version is ditching the motion controls.

Here's hoping they include all of the mini games from the original two games.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who absolutely adores Monkey Ball, I can not FATHOM what type of being it takes to greenlight a re-release of this game over its two predecessors.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
...seriously who asked for this?
ugh. i hate it. i got really excited over the possibility of getting remasters of the first two games but this? yuck.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Imagine being given the budget to bring back the Super Monkey Ball franchise in a proper HD entry on modern platforms and choosing to remake fucking Banana Blitz

Oct 28, 2017
So much this. Hard too.
Too hard. SMB Vita would have been a much better game with a SMB2 style story mode. A mode that let you tackle each stage one at a time without making you literally go back to stage 1 when you run out of lives. Made it super frustrating. Or hell, just the ability to unlock infinite continues like SMB1. The level design was good. But man was it unforgiving.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
...it's a remaster of the Wii version. Well, expectations lowered accordingly. At least it's not Super Monkey Ball Adventure.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Also, sorry to disappoint y'all, but this is apparently the best selling Super Monkey Ball.

SMB 1 and 2 sold well but apparently, neither were million sellers. This one is, for some reason.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I was going bananas about the idea of a new Super Monkey Ball game on the horizon... and then it turns out it's just an HD version of Banana Blitz. I mean, the original was okay, and I'll still get this, but god I wish it was either a brand-new mainline game or just HD remasters of SMB 1 and 2.

SEGA really slipped up here. It's going to take quite awhile to peel away the disappointment I'm feeling about this...

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
is it just me or are they intentionally making "banana blitz" less prominent on the cover of the remaster compared to the original? it's in a MUCH smaller font compared to "super monkey ball".

dqxis_page_header_desd6jow.jpg

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
That was an awful trailer, but the new box art looks quite nice. Would have preferred 1 or 2 though.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
suddenly 30 bucks for katamari damacy reroll doesn't seem too much (ignoring the fact that it's a masterpiece and bana blitz is... not).

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
is it just me or are they intentionally making "banana blitz" less prominent on the cover of the remaster compared to the original? it's in a MUCH smaller font compared to "super monkey ball".

dqxis_page_header_desd6jow.jpg
Probably because the Japanese version doesn't even use the original title and the international version is using its boxart. This whole release is weird.

Sep 28, 2018
Fuck me... I love SMB... But why Banana Blitz?!

Pros of this game:
-Excellent Music
-Excellent Artstyle

Cons of this game:
-Level designs are weakest to compensate for the shittiness of the Wiimote (Don't @ me)
-Mini-games are more like Wiimote tech-demos rather than proper fun party games.

Monkey Target is particularly disappointing...

I'll buy it, but I hate how disconnected from the community the producers must be to think this was the best choice for a remake. Super Monkey Paw indeed.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
An HD port of Deluxe with the best stages and mini-games from later entries in the series, along with unlockable characters from other Sega properties (Yakuza, Sonic, Billy Hatcher, Morgana, Ristar etc..) would have been amazing.

monkey-ball-idea-unlocks.jpg

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Hated the game with the Wii Remote motion controls, but I might be willing to give it another shot with analog stick controls.

Maybe once it's discounted to $20 or so I'll jump on it.