• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the N64 and the GC are some of the most underwhelming Nintendo consoles for opposing reasons-- the N64 had some stellar output from Nintendo but third party stuff I don't like and the GC saw the return of genres that were basically neglected on the 64 but Nintendo's output for their biggest series just wasn't for me.
GC saw the return of Metroid. That was big enough.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
IIRC, there were areas in the game that simply could not run at 60fps in the time frame that the team had left to work on the game, so they made the decision to cap the framerate at 30fps for the whole game to help those areas out in terms of their presentation.

Sunshine really needed another year, but Iwata was hellbent on launching that, Metroid Prime and Wind Waker in the fiscal year.
Which is another shame because while that was a dope year... The droughts weren't worth it...

Oct 29, 2017
I seem to remember that the Gamecube suffered a GPU clockspeed downgrade late in the game, comparatively shortly before the spec was finalized close to release. Provided my memory holds true, that also may have added delays and complications, particularly if the game was already straining the hardware.

Yup. GCN got a downclock in GPU speed, but an upclock in CPU speed prior to launch.

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
Never knew Sunshine was originally 60fps, it looks so good. However, all I can remember was that it had a lot of frustrating parts while playing as a kid.

Wind Waker was great tho. I'm impressed they were able to make such a game in 2 years. The only part that was shitty from what I remember was finding the Triforce pieces...in a pre-YouTube era.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
tumblr_ojthemDOsb1rrftcdo1_500.jpg

The cut people and the train system navigating you around the island (you collected tickets to progress further I think) sounded really intriguing.
Had this had enough time I think we would've gotten something really unique.

EDIT: here's the train info
The Japanese version of the game contains an extra ARC that was removed from later releases, named message.szs. Its only contents are two message files, named station.bmg and system.bmg. One contains a list of stations and harbors for the levels, while the other contains dialogue for buying tickets and getting them stamped. As a number of the locations listed are landlocked, it must be concluded that these files belong to a scrapped train system for the island. Given the locations listed, this would have been the primary means of accessing levels in the game. Pinna Park is among the listed locations, as are several other presumably island locations. This implies that either there was a bridge to Pinna Park, the train is a subway, or that Pinna Park was not always on the tail island.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I feel like this sort of stuff is more common than the OP implies.

It's one of the main reasons why game demos and previews have had "this footage is from an in-development version and may differ from the retail version" disclaimers on them for 20+ years.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this sort of stuff is more common than the OP implies.

It's one of the main reasons why game demos and previews have had "this footage is from an in-development version and may differ from the retail version" disclaimers on them for 20+ years.
It's extremely common, but generally not with Nintendo games. There are few instances of public and visible downgrades in Nintendo games, Sunshine is the most infamous one, though I personally feel like Breath of the Wild tops it.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If they dropped to 30 theres probably a million causes for it, a drop from 30 to 20 aint bad, but from 60 to 20? oooof

Most games have a shit framerate right before release anyways (at least non-Nintendo ones) Its why its so crucial to have time to polish before release, you would be surprised how many beloved AAA games were near unplayable a month before launch

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know too much about how much of the game was demo'ed. But isn't it quite possible it was just an optimized vertical slice that ran at 60, rather than the full game? Yeah, it sucks that the game was a bit undercooked, but I don't find it all that surprising that it was capped at 30. If they couldn't get the whole game to run at 60, then capping at 30 is the right choice, IMO.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I want to go to the alternate reality where Sunshine and Wind Waker got the extra year of development that they needed.
This sounds great, but I'm sure this would make Galaxy or Odyssey not exist as well, so I never want to mess with this kind of things, even if it's always hipotetical...

What saddens me a bit more is that this kind of games will never get a chance to get improved by much. When they bring them to new consoles they usually do some quality of life changes, but never risk on improving on the rushed content changing it for something better, as people would complain about stages/events being missing.
At most we get the Super Mario 64 DS / Bowser Inside Story DX treatment: new levels on top of the older ones that lenghten the game overall.

Do you know any examples where some developers have done that kind of big rework with some game to improve pacing/quality/content, thought? I know Rare tried to do it with Banjo for the 360 before it turned into Nuts and Blots.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
tumblr_ojthemDOsb1rrftcdo1_500.jpg

The cut people and the train system navigating you around the island (you collected tickets to progress further I think) sounded really intriguing.
Had this had enough time I think we would've gotten something really unique.

EDIT: here's the train info
Ohhh geez. This really makes me want Sunshine remade in an open world (island?) format. The hub was already great fun to play around in and could only be better if it led to walk/swim/ferry/train into each of the levels rather that randomly warping to 'em. I loved how you could see other levels from the game in the background skybox of certain levels, but getting to each one felt super disconnected which sucks! Really does feel like at some point it was meant to be one big interconnected game.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Ohhh geez. This really makes me want Sunshine remade in an open world (island?) format. The hub was already great fun to play around in and could only be better if it led to walk/swim/ferry/train into each of the levels rather that randomly warping to 'em. I loved how you could see other levels from the game in the background skybox of certain levels, but getting to each one felt super disconnected which sucks! Really does feel like at some point it was meant to be one big interconnected game.

You know reading your post, could you imagine a Sunshine 2 that is fully open-world where you can enter a level without loading screens?

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
You know reading your post, could you imagine a Sunshine 2 that is fully open-world where you can enter a level without loading screens?
Yesssss! Nintendo should totally do this! Few people like Sunshine so it needs redemption in the eyes of many an a sequel like this'd surely do it! The FLUDD Turbo Nozzle could at least be put to great effect!!

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This thread just proves we need a Super Mario Sunshine Remaster/Redux.

The amount of work they would need to put in to a sunshine rerelease is way bigger than any of the other 3d Mario's. Most of them you could get away with just with improving frame, resolution and call it a day.

To make Mario sunshine a game on level with the rest of the franchise would require scrapping a bunch of the shines, because frankly, lots of them are junk, greatly reducing the blue coin shines and replacing them with new shines, adding new levels including an actual bowser level and lots of other stuff, at which point they might as well make a new game entirely without the baggage.

Yesssss! Nintendo should totally do this! Few people like Sunshine so it needs redemption in the eyes of many an a sequel like this'd surely do it! The FLUDD Turbo Nozzle could at least be put to great effect!!

Nothing that fludd can do that requires a sunshine 2. They basically reused that mechanic anyway in odyssey in the beach level with one of the enemies there.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

Oh my god you gave me another idea, combine the Turbo Nozzle with a surfboard addon for FLUDD and you could do crazy things on the ocean around Delphino Island! And as someone who liked Sunshine alot, I agree, it deserves a second chance!

OP
OP

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The amount of work they would need to put in to a sunshine rerelease is way bigger than any of the other 3d Mario's. Most of them you could get away with just with improving frame, resolution and call it a day.

To make Mario sunshine a game on level with the rest of the franchise would require scrapping a bunch of the shines, because frankly, lots of them are junk, greatly reducing the blue coin shines and replacing them with new shines, adding new levels including an actual bowser level and lots of other stuff, at which point they might as well make a new game entirely without the baggage.

Nothing that fludd can do that requires a sunshine 2. They basically reused that mechanic anyway in odyssey in the beach level with one of the enemies there.

I'm perfectly satisfied with the quality of Sunshine overall. Yeah there were junk objectives but i could say the same for 64 and Galaxy as well and that didn't stop me from enjoying those games either. The positives of Sunshine far outweighed the negatives imo. 60FPS, Widescreen and improved lightning and textures as well as basic QOL gameplay tweaks would make Sunshine pretty excellent.

I don't think the level of effort required would be nearly the same as making a brand new game. I'm not expecting a brand new game or a completely altered game with a Sunshine Remaster. I would be fine with some clean up.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I guess they did it because even at 30fps this game has framedrops. For example on the last boss fight against Bowser. Or at the first mission of Sirena Beach.
Yeah Zelda oot dips to 20 fps as well.
Zelda OOT doesn't dip to 20fps, it runs at 20fps!! It actually dips to like 12 to 15 at some places.

Nov 18, 2017

Too difficult, but designing an entirely new game is easier?

Sunshine is a fantastic game. It has it's problems, but I'd take it over 64 and 3D World. Maybe even Odyssey. FLUDD was a dream.

It's worth Nintendo putting a bit of effort in to bring it up to standard.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Too difficult, but designing an entirely new game is easier?

Sunshine is a fantastic game. It has it's problems, but I'd take it over 64 and 3D World. Maybe even Odyssey. FLUDD was a dream.

It's worth Nintendo putting a bit of effort in to bring it up to standard.

I didn't say it was too difficult, I said it wasn't worth it. To bring sunshine up to standard you're looking at year(s) of extra development to add new stuff that should have been there two decades ago, but wasn't because they shoved it out the door unfinished originally.

That time would simply be better spent on a full new game (presumably odyssey 2) without the baggage of the black sheep of the 3d mario family being attached.

Nov 18, 2017
To bring sunshine up to standard you're looking at year(s) of extra development to add new stuff.

I don't think the development would be as intensive as a new Mario game. I also don't think they'd need to add a substantial amount, just fix the buggier shines and add QoL improvements to the blue coin hunt for example. Some extra content would help though.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
There it is.

60 is always better but based on this footage some graphical effects seem to be missing that are in the final. Like the heat haze effect. Guess it was a choice between making the game look better graphically or performance. I wish they went with performance tho.
The only 3d Mario games that have been 60fps we're galaxy and Mario odyssey. The rest have always been 30fps.
New super Mario bro even though it's 3d is still a 2d perspective so doesn't really count.

Also i just read that Mario 64 DS was also showcased at 60fps initially as well and Koizumi mentioned in a interview that they were considering making 3D Land 60 as well but 3DS hardware couldn't handle it. It's a shame since most mainline Mario games are 60fps but it is what it is.

TwistedN

Mar 23, 2018
Shiegeru Miyamoto said:
Some people may realize that Super Mario Sunshine does not work on 60 frame per second. What you are seeing on-screen is 30 frames. However, the game is made so that you will feel it is more than a 30-frame game.
An excerpt from this interview about Sunshine it's a really interesting read with how in depth it is about the development of the game.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I don't see how Nintendo did anything better with the N64 than what they did with the GCN

Waverace, 1080 and Starfox were all far superior on the N64.
So was Mario 64 (vs. Sunshine).
I'm sure some would say both Zelda games were better as well, though I can't comment on that since I only ever finished Wind Waker.

The point is valid, in my opinion.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I remember seeing the first reveal of sunshine and being supremly dissapointed. Everything looked a lot less vibrant, with very few effects. The drop was just a consequence of making the game prettier. Or finishing it, however you want to see it.