• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
It's a shame people can not compare games without inevitably shitting on the one they like less. I personally like all of the 3D Mario games and have trouble ranking them, and so when people act like Sunshine or Odyssey are "horrible abominations" or some other form of typical game forum hyperbole, I cannot help but shake my head.

Yeah. I played a lot of Sunshine throughout the years, and probably got more enjoyment out of that cumulative playtime than Odyssey, but I can also see how Odyssey is better in many respects. For one, the controls in Sunshine are really fun to zip around with, but only when you have FLUDD. Without it, the platforming sections feel quite finicky, with odd footstep SFX echoing in a weird void. It disrupts the comparatively naturalistic (for a Mario game) levels.

And it may be true that Odyssey left many on this website disappointed, but that doesn't mean that most of those who bought it feel the same way. And if they liked it more than Sunshine/3D World/Etc, it doesn't mean that they're too simple to see the game's real quality.

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
DiyTJ1KV4AEeT95.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

Pick your worst nightmare!

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying that you should be arrested for this opinion, but if you were, I would understand.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even as a kid I did not like Sunshine all that much. All the levels felt the same visually and much of the game is really frustrating and dumb. It was super underwhelming when compared to 64.

Also I think Odyssey is a fucking incredible game, so I can't agree with you OP. It does literally everything better, the graphics, music, level design, controls etc.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I feel like Odyssey is a much better game, especially if you really like exploring in video games. Unlike Sunshine, which was largely linear tasks to get shines, Odyssey challenged the player to explore on their own to seek out moons, from the easy ones that are just handed to you when you look around a corner, to the harder ones that require a challenging platforming section.

1. Mario Odyssey is too easy
While the game looks great and has some great ideas (Cappy!), the difficulty of Mario Odyssey is just too easy. Most of the time you do not have to put in any effort to get a star. They are too easy to get. In addition to that, you will never see a screen saying 'Game Over', you have like infinite tries, if you fail (which is very unlikely due to its easy difficulty).

Mario Odyssey has plenty of moons of varying difficulty. On a first playthrough, you probably won't only go after the easy ones unless you're struggling with the game, and I think it's a smart way to handle difficulty. The veteran players will likely find and play the difficult challenges, while the novice players will simply skip them and spend time finding something else.

As far as the Game Over screen, I feel like it realistically won't add anything to Odyssey. When you die you need to restart at a checkpoint, which you can just warp to, anyway. The only thing I can see a Game Over screen changing are the sub-areas.

2. Mario Odssey's stages fall flat, somehow
Before you try getting at me: Some of the stages are great, however, I feel like the stage design is somehow not thought through. If Mario Odssey had had only stages which were quality wise like New Donk City, the game would have been just amazing! However, the way the stages are designed and the way you find stars within the stages is just random. I very often felt like 'Oh another star just around the corner for no specific reason, oh well." Or to put it in a hyperbola: I feel like at times you start a new world and all you have to is walk straight just to get a star. It does not really pay off and I did not feel like I had to cope with a challenge before earning the star. Mario Sunshine however can be quite challenging because they not only have the amazing platforming section but also some great stages and missions within them. Building the stages vertically was a great choice and makes good use of the F.L.U.D.D. and its noozles.

I think that's part of what makes Odyssey great - it's a game that equally rewards exploration with solving tough challenges. Similar to what I was saying above about novice players being able to skip the tough challenges, rewarding exploration with a moon encourages exploration and caters to the gamers who prefer that kind of gameplay. It's a much better reward than, say, the blue coins in Sunshine IMO, which feel less meaningful because you need five of them to get one shine.

3. For a game from 2002 Mario Sunshine looks and plays great
Alright, Mario Odyssey does have better controls and looks better, obviously, however, for a game which came out 17years ago Mario Sunshine still looks amazing and the way you control Mario feels great too. I really like all the moves you can do, even in combination with the F.L.U.D.D.

Personally, I was disappointed by Sunshine's controls. They really are great for a game of that age (and even compared to a lot of games today!) but when I first played it I didn't think Fludd was a great addition, and I was annoyed that they removed some of Mario's moves from Mario 64. Now I appreciate Fludd more, though.

I just feel like Mario Odyssey was rushed and they did not think everything through. It just feels too bland too often. After I beat Mario Odyssey I felt like: And that's it? I do not see why this game receives so much praise...Mario Sunshine is different, in a good way (even though a lot of people hate it).

To me, what makes me love Odyssey is mostly the exploration. The fact that I could just go in a world in Odyssey, relax if I want, or look around and find moons is a big deal to me. The feeling finding a moon on my own is a greater payoff than being told where the shine is. In Sunshine I felt tied to a specific shine challenge, and restricted from going off the given path of a specific shine to do whatever I want. This was the absolute biggest reason why Sunshine disappointed me over Mario 64.

But, while I feel like Mario Odyssey has a great post-game, based on your post I can see why you wouldn't agree, since it's just more of the same. That being said, I think where Mario Odyssey easily passes Sunshine is in the initial playthrough, where you're going from world to world, discovering everything each one has to offer. Sunshine has less worlds, many of which felt too similar to other words, and it barely ever surprised me or made me think "Woah this is so cool!" (The exceptions are some of the bosses, and that awesome amusement park level). It was just like, "Now I'm in a town. Now I'm in a harbor. And now I'm in another town." And the most unique area (the fire area) was very short, most of it took place on a boat, and it didn't feel fleshed out at all. That game felt really rushed to me.

Good game, though.

freeradical

Oct 27, 2017
Wherever you are on this globe we all share OP, i have just sent the biggest hug your way.
Sunshine for life!

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I dunno why but the odyssey levels just feel so soulless too me (with the exception of new donk city, which i really liked!). i don't even know why, its just that something feels so off to me when i run through them

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, but it is a better game than 64 and the Galaxy's if you ask me. But my ranking are always my subjective fun I had ignoring any objective. Sunshine was my favorite until 3D World and Odyssey.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I don't play 3D Mario games for a challenge, That's what 2D games are for. And Odyssey was such a joy to play through that I lost my 20 hr save file and didn't mind starting all over again.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
While i don't really think that Sunshine is a better game overall since it's such a weird, messy and unfinished title that can be easily ranked as the worst 3d entry in the series, i get what you're saying and where you might be coming from.
Like, i really miss when Mario games dared to offer at least some kind of decent challenge and weren't so freaking boring and braindead, also i liked the old collectatlhon formula more, i'd rather have to search for fewer, acutally meaningful stars instead of countless crap plastered all over the map.

Parker

Feb 5, 2018
If only we could play it on the Switch. How about all the mario games. I'm hopeful E3 may bring some Nintendo classic news pertaining to them releasing on the Switch .

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Sunshine is just so bad. Even basic stuff like the secret levels frequently feeling too large for Mario's regular jump so you have to use backflips and stuff for what should be basic platforming.

Deleted member 55822

Banned
Apr 10, 2019
I'm gonna respect your opinion. But for me, Sunshine is kinda "eh?" compared to other 3D Mario titles. Now I haven't play Odyssey yet so I can't say much about it. For Sunshine, it has good moments, (like the non-FLUDD levels) the controls are tight. And the graphics aged pretty well. But other than that... I got nothing to say. I would say Sunshine has more problem than Odyssey though. (Not to mention all 3D Mario are good games too.)

Also, like some people said here. If you think Odyseey was rushed, then Sunshine was getting kicked out of the door while they developed it.

Ceadeus

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Definitely.

Odyssey is fun but far too easy! Then I simply prefer the world of sunshine.

Odyssey kind of feels like a tribute of itself , like a grand finale of the série and It's not my cup of tea. I miss old fashioned 3D Mario games.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I'm not saying that you should be arrested for this opinion, but if you were, I would understand.
Hahahaha, pretty much this. Sunshine was different, and quite good because of it, but it was nowhere near odyssey. Sunshine's controls were mediocre, the 30fps really hurt with tricky platforming, and the stages where you're floating in the void on blocks without FLUDD are literally cancer. I get where some of the Odyssey criticism come from like how there's so many moons which make it easy to beat the game, but Mario games have ALWAYS been easy to beat but difficult to 100%, and if you got 999 moons, you'd know Odyssey was definitely not easy to 100%. Odyssey had some absolutely brilliant levels and has the best/most precise controls of any platformer I've played to date. Many Mario games in the past, it wasn't necessary to learn the more tricky platforming move to complete 100%, but this one did. I'm not saying Odyssey was perfect either. To me, the most underwhelming part to odyssey were the boss fights. There were a few good ones here and there but the individual broodles (I spell that right?) and the end bowser fight was pretty weak. Even with that though, Odyssey is leagues above Sunshine.

Feb 16, 2018
Odyssey has better levels, controls, graphics, audio, better enemies, more creative variety and more content. No Sunshine is not better and I like Sunshine but its is the weakest 3D Mario. I got every single moon in Odyssey and honestly had a great time outside of the truly obscure ones, I loved exploring every nook and cranny of that game.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I didn't enjoy Sunshine at all back in the days, it felt like a watered down Mario 64 to me and it still feels that way today. Sure Flood was a nice addition and the overworld hub was also okay but I never got used to the theme, the water looked amazing though and can still rival modern day titles. I remember only really enjoying the classic bonus levels and the ghost house mansion. The gameplay was a lot more restricted and narrower than a 3D Mario should be. I mean if you would say Mario Galaxy was the better Mario than Odyssey then I would probably understand it to a degree, however even then Mario Galaxy was almost as restrictive as Sunshine, it only did a stellar job at faking freedom with its rather small planets.

As for Mario Odyssey, it's a fireworks of surprises and a celebration of 3D Mario Games. Sure the Moon thing wasn't the best way to drive progress in the game but then again, what would have been? Nintendo is the only company that has released 3D Jump and Runs that are worth mentioning in the past decades and I am not that ignorant to come up with a better solution than them.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm playing through Mario Sunshine at the moment on Wii U and I disagree.
Even if the camera was fixed, the game feels stiff and I miss the long jump. All the areas feel very samey too.

I'm also playing 3D world again, but with my 6 year old son for the first time and that game is fantastic. At the time I was disappointed as a 3DS and Wii U owner - thinking that the game was too safe.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Sunshine is not even 1/3 as good as Odyssey.

Sunshine is easy too. Sunshine has some stages that are complete BS. Sunshine has worse bosses, music, aesthetics, final boss, gameplay mechanics, creativity.

I liked Sunshine when I played it as a 12-year-old, but it is not as good as Odyssey...at all.

Deleted member 24540

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My original point is the idea that Odyssey is somehow more for children than previous Mario games is false. There is nothing inherently more complex or adult-aimed about the other Mario games compared to Odyssey. It's a pointless argument because all of these games are designed to be accessible from 5 year olds to 50 year olds and there is nothing wrong with that.

I don't agree either that Mario has significantly less options in Odyssey or things like FLUDD and water management make it a better game. More is not necessarily better. Mario has less movement options in Super Mario 64 compared to Sunshine but the game is designed infinitely better to compliment his toolset and it's overall the superior game.

Levels like this are an example of the problems that plague Sunshine's design. You are constantly fighting against the game, rather than having a dialogue with it.

There are many areas in Odyssey where you can optimize your route with different pathways and techniques; one look at its speedrunning community would tell you that. You're simplifying Odyssey greatly, especially because Sunshine's areas are generally small and not very complex at all. Most of the time it's just a matter of traveling across a relatively harmless terrain until you get to a challenge room or boss battle. One of the best Sunshine missions is actually the third Shine in Pianta Village where FLUDD is taken away and you have to navigate the burning village with nothing but your platforming. The level takes advantage of its multilayered setup and offers some challenging segments without relying on awkward FLUDD puzzles or overly punishing platforming sections with bad camera movement.

There's a ton going on in that video clip: you can climb on both sides of the grates, you can switch sides by punching or ground pounding the openings or heck why not just jump out and hover around them, or above? Then there are green grates that you can manually rotate to achieve desired results. I'm not even sure what the intended solution is to be honest!

Odyssey's challenges are more like: you walk up to a situation, and there is literally only one thing you can do, which is obviously the right solution, and there is just no thought process to it whatsoever. Like this:

Notice how there's no element of skill or player agency involved. What if instead you got to choose the direction Mario is cutting in so that you form your own platform shapes, so that there is a way to do it badly = you don't reach the other side (fail state), one way to do it good = you can jump to the other side (win state), and perhaps one creative way of cutting that let's you reach a 1up or something (lateral thinking). There's way too much of this one-dimensionality in Mario Odyssey's level design and challenges. There is an entire subworld dedicated to unzipping predetermined paths. Not fun.

Last edited:

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I liked Odyssey more. It controls superbly but the levels and progression direction just weren't doing it for me. Traversing the areas using all of its movement was a lot of fun, but the actual moon placement was not and often felt like a momentum halt.

I like how Sunshine handles progression but the levels are all over the place. Call me old but I still consider Mario 64 to be my favourite 3D one, even if that is nostalgia.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Absolutely not. Sunshine is still great, of course, but it's not a better game than Odyssey.

Now, Galaxy 1 and 2? Those are still the best 3D Mario games.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Sunshine is absolutely terrible.

There two or so decent worlds. The rest are trash. And then there are the blue coins. Ugh.

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I can't justify it as better because there's a number of things I think it does poorly and that Odyssey does better.

But I have more fun with Sunshine as well, messy as it can get.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
If they make an odyssey 2 they really need to pull up a notch with the difficulty. Stuff needs to be frustratingly hard at some point where it'll require skill, not in an unfair way like sunshine ofcourse. I dont mean endgame, but by half of the main game. As a second game it would need to be.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I seem to remember some moons being easy, some slightly more challenging and others requiring a fair amount of skill.

I could have sworn every Mario game was like this in terms of finishing a level or getting a star/shine.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
But what obsession people have that games have to be difficult. Odyssey is easier than Sunshine and is a much better game.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, I posted a similar thread a while back after playing them back to back (Sunshine first then Odyssey). I received a lot of backlash compared to this thread, so I think some on Era are coming to the same conclusion. Sunshine has problems, but Odyssey is just a deeply unsatisfying game for a mainline 3D mario.

Important to note that they both pale in comparison to both Galaxy games.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Between this and the recent Mario 64 thread, I cannot sanction the buffoonery of some of these Mario takes on era this week.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
I like Odyssey but it has the most subpar level design in a 3D mario game.

3D World > Odyssey.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Sunshine is the worst 3D Mario for me, i have tried playing it 3 times and i always dropped the game around 20 stars. I couldn't take it any more. I want to like that game, but i can't

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Mario Sunshine is literally the only mainline mario game, 2D or 3D that I dislike. It felt rough in a way that Nintendo games generally don't, unfinished in a way that a mainline entry in one of the biggest franchises in the world should not and lets face it has one of the worst cameras in the history of videogames.

FLUDD was also just a really boring as hell gimmick. It was very flexible in what it could do, sure but using it was never as fun as straight up platforming is. It's why Cappy is such a better gimmick. All those enemies you can take control of using it? They're each individually way more fun to control than FLUDD ever was.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Odyssey is not too easy...in fact, you point out a weakness in Sunshine in that it has no post game. Sunshine's difficulty comes from poor stage design and fighting with camera controls that can't keep up with the speed of your movement with the various water nozzles.

Odyssey is built for everyone to play, unlike Sunshine, which many people haven't even attempted to 100%. And I can't believe someone is saying the stage design in Sunshine is better, with that throwaway last stage and boss fight?

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunshine is just so bad. Even basic stuff like the secret levels frequently feeling too large for Mario's regular jump so you have to use backflips and stuff for what should be basic platforming.

You can use the spin jump or the forward dive jump, which is Sunshine's equivalent of the Long Jump. Seriously people who call Sunshine or even 64 frustrating often just don't know how to play them. It's telling that 3D Mario games after Sunshine took a massive nosedive in terms of difficulty or even 2D games like NSMBDS.

Thrn Galaxy was ultra restrictive and hand holdy. The physics and feel of the game was just ultra slow and floaty. The game suffered from some horrible missions as well but people ignore them because...reassons? Galaxy 2 made up for the downgrade by offering by far the best Level Design in the franchise but the Original Galaxy was too flawed at what it was trying to do to be any fun on replays. Its presentation is top tier but it's a lesser game than 64 and Sunshine.

3D was jus insulting. I find it halarious that many rag on Sunshine for sticking with a Tropical setting for the entire game but have no problem with praising stock generic grass dessert ice and fire worlds that infest 3D World. I didn't want or need for Sunshine to be a carbon copy of 64 but 3D World was a ultra derivative copy of 3D Land and it offered bare bones basic platforming that fell way below Galaxy 2 and any Fludless or Bowser stage platforming in Sunshine and Mario 64. To my dying breath i will never understand why people love 3D World on this site It was emblematic of everything wrong with Nintendo during the Wii U era. Odyssey shat on from great height and without even really trying.

Last edited:

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem with odyssey is that they give you this amazing move set and not many challenges in which to actually use them

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Odyssey was insanely overhyped.

I played BotW first, and was blown away. Then I saw that Odyssey was getting similar reactions, so I was expecting something that was going to turn the Mario franchise on its head.

The hat mechanic felt like a step back from FLUDD or the planetoids in galaxy.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Sunshine, so I can't really comment on that. I really liked Odyssey, but it did have few glaring flaws to me.

1. The post-game is really bad. Almost all moons obtained after breaking the moon cubes are the easiest ones, which is honestly pretty baffling.
2. There's just too much repetition with the moons. Even obtaining only 500 for darkest side, I kept doing same repeated tasks that bored me.
3. Mario controls really well, but the level design doesn't really force you to use his varied moveset.

I would have enjoyed the game more if they had cut lot of the moon count, and make the moons that were there more about platforming focused challanges.

To note, Odyssey was still in my top 5 goty list for 2017.