• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Wow can we take a moment to appreciate this bombshell. Round of applause for Nintendo making a Mario Party relevant again, apparently.

Check the report if you don't believe me:

2778611-5069696221-Zha72.gif

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
And this is why no DLC. More lucrative to make a sequel and go for 5 million+ again.

Insane numbers, how did other installments sell?

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
It was the right game at the right time.

1. Switch is a software beast for every one of Nintendo's franchises.
2. They finally went back to the roots, which was well-received by fans.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
With this, it becomes the second-best selling entry in the Mario Party franchise:

DS: MPDS = 9.31M
Swi: SMP = 9.12M
Wii: MP8 = 8.85M

The game sold 1.53M units this quarter. Quite likely, it'll pass the DS game by the end of the fiscal year. After that, the hunt for 10M is on (and it should hit that milestone easily).

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
10 million is a lock at this point. and it's going to be be the best selling mario party game by a nice margin.
i'm not sure if there's going to be a super mario party 2 at this point :( maybe next year.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It was the first Mario Party I ever bought. Between the minigames looking better than what I'd seen in the past and hearing some good word of mouth from Giant bomb at E3 I decided to give it a go and my fiancée and I have been loving it.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
it's pretty insane they turned around the series that much.
although looking back, every MP since the Wii/DS ones up to now had something against it (MP9 releasing when the Wii was dead, 3DS releases kinda suffered from the 3DS not being big like the DS and the Wii U game being on wii u)

this level of sales also shows that doing one game per console is much more profitable. they've sold way more than a lot of the yearly ones did in the past combined.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And this is why no DLC. More lucrative to make a sequel and go for 5 million+ again.

Insane numbers, how did other installments sell?
Exactly, but people here still wish for DLC, i almost believe a new Mario Party will be announce for end of this year

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Insane that it's so successful yet I never hear anybody talk about it. Like it's sold the same as Splatoon 2 but that game is everywhere.

Oct 25, 2017
Needed more boards, but despite that it's still an absolute blast to play with friends and family.

fuck those random end game bonuses tho

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Remember back in September/October 2018 so, so many people were saying that Nintendo only had 2 major games for that holiday season. Good times.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
...Wait, they actually made a good Mario Party?

edit: Oh it's the one with four boards. Never mind.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
It's a fun game and we've had a lot of great evenings with this. But previous Mario Party titles were a lot better and I miss variety with the meager selection of boards to choose from.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
We're in 2020 and still no dlc... ffs Nintendo. How many times do i have to replay the same maps with my family!

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
With this, it becomes the second-best selling entry in the Mario Party franchise:

The game sold 1.53M units this quarter. Quite likely, it'll pass the DS game by the end of the fiscal year. After that, the hunt for 10M is on (and it should hit that milestone easily).
Whaaaat? I'm very surprised Mario Party DS sold so well. It's a lot harder to get a multiplayer game going on a handheld than on a home console.

Stevo

Jan 29, 2019
First MP I've owned since 3 and it is good, to be sure, but there really should have been some add-on content in the offing by now. I just mean some boards; I wasn't hoping for characters or mini games!

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019

DS is the best selling game?! Wtf

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a lot of fun with it, but you can barely do a match without the same minigame repeating 2 or 3 times. There's also only 4 boards which is simply absurd, and while the other game modes with the boat or the dancing are decent timewasters, there simply isn't enough content to justify the price in any way. Baffling they haven't even thrown in DLCs, free or paid. If this is their plan going forward, having bare minimum content full priced every couple years, this will probably be the first and last Mario Party I buy anywhere near its launch price.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Undeserved tbh lol

Like two more boards would have went a long way. Mario Party games could be a lot better if Nintendo put more effort into them.

But they kinda puked this one out and we ate it up lol feels bad. Maybe the next one will be solid, or they just won't care cause they know it'll sell. Who knows?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
next one with more (and more complex) boards and actual online for the main mode can sell extremely well too.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's fun as hell... for about 8 hours. Then you can't even look at the same 4 boards anymore without violently convulsing.
I'd have been all over DLCs for it too. Guess I'll wait for reviews for the next MP game.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Sequel needs more boards and cooler themes. They need to take even more inspiration from Mario Party 2 and 3 boards.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
not deserved and i hate this game, but it came bundled with my switch lol
needs dlc badly

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Am I the only one who cares very little about boards? They always seem practically a nuisance to me among mini-games.

Like, if it were for me they could completely eliminate the boards if that means having more minigames.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
My least played Mario Party, friends don't seem interested either but hey it sold well.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about the size of the boards, I think they work very well and are balanced. These huge boards from earlier games always felt overwhelming, everybody was always so distant from each other, and stars were always too damn far. SMP has a very nice game pace.

That said, 4 boards is way too few. I got over the game very quickly because I got tired of replaying the same boards over and over.

Oct 31, 2017
Exactly, but people here still wish for DLC
They're hanging out with the group of people who believe it's fiscally responsible for Nintendo to put out MK9 ASAP.

EDIT: And now that I think of it, my whole life Mario Party has been a major presence at drinking parties and the like since college. I don't really see a largely negative aspect to making Mario Party games semi-annual so that we always have a new set of experiences year after year, think Jackbox Party games meets Madden-esque yearly releases.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Love this game, glad to hear that. Hopefully the next Switch MP has more content. We played the hell out of it at launch and don't really want to return due to lack of content. 4 maps and one of them is complete ass(others are nothing special, either).

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Its a good game, but not great. WAY better than the Wii tries though but we need
-More maps
-BIGGER MAPS
-ONLINE PLAY

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Hopefully the sequel will actually be deserving of those numbers, game is fun, but I never bought it and only played it at my friend's house when we gathered for no particular reason.
DS is the best selling game?! Wtf
It was great and I was still in contact with my high school friends back then as I had finished the year before it came out I think, so we gathered for that local MP that only required one cart. That shit was amazing, also that lent games thread reminded me that another friend borrowed it and never returned it. Oh well...

Deleted member 10428

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bought it and played it once. It sucks if you have to fill up with CPU players (A lot of time waiting for the computer) and you can only play with joy cons as I have two Pro controllers and I'm not buying another set of joy cons for something like this.
I really regret buying it digital.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Wow can we take a moment to appreciate this bombshell. Round of applause for Nintendo making a Mario Party relevant again, apparently.
I'm not sure they really did anything to make the game relevant again, other than having a very popular console where people are gobbling up the limited number of first party games they release.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Best part of Super Mario Party is team party mode. Still think the stars are far to cheap. Needed a couple of extra maps and ffs an online mode so I can play with friends online.