• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Definitive Switch 3D Mario?

• Super Mario Odyssey

• Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Furry

Results are only viewable after voting.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which 3D Mario do you prefer? Now I know this topic is well covered, but new users join in all the time, and consensus changes. And this is all just for fun so please don't take it too seriously.

I was really disappointed in 3D World on the Wii U and considered the worst 3D Mario back in 2013. However, the switch version added plenty of gameplay improvements to the core game and Bowser's Furry was a treat. It really elevated the experience, I could never go back to the Wii U version. Really by the end of my playthrough, I vastly prefer it now to the Galaxy games. and possibly even the rest of the 3D games. I really don't know, I keep going back and forth on how much I really liked it but it is a fantastic platformer.

I really loved Odyssey since day 1 and replaying it hasn't changed my mind.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Odyssey by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar. 3D World remains the only 3D Mario game I straight up don't like.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Opinions about 3D Marios are always all over the place, no one agrees :P
I love 3D World, I think it's amazing and just flat out fun. Especially in co-op.

But Odyssey is the GOAT 3D platformer and one of the best games of the generation.
Really enjoyed Bowsers Fury to though.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Odyssey was amazing and full of memorable moments. 3D world blurs together with 3D Land to me, and among the other linear 3D Mario platformers. I find it good but unremarkable.

Nov 27, 2017
I had dipped out of gaming for a number of years, and Odyssey basically reminded me of why I like videogames. One of the most expansive and joyous games I've ever played.

3D World is an excellent game though.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
I think combining a Bowser's Fury open world structure with Odyssey's capture mechanic could lead to the ultimate 3D Mario.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Love them both but I think Odyssey takes it for me.

The two Galaxy games are, of course, head and shoulders above both of them.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Odyssey. I do like 3D World, but it kind of has that "clean" Mario vibe of the new super Mario bros era that plays well but never really sticks with me.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Odyssey and I loved Bowser's Fury. Did not particularly care for 3D World proper, which is not to say I didn't enjoy a handful of levels.

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020
Surprised 3D World is lagging so far behind, it's like the perfect distillation of everything I like about Mario games in one constantly inventive, delightful package. At the end of the day, both are phenomenal games and you can't really go wrong with either.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Still prefer Odyssey over all.

Loved the 3D World levels on WiiU (some of the best levels ever made), but haven't been quite as enthralled by Bowser's Fury as I expected.

There is one thing where 3D World clearly wins however, Bowsers theme in 3D World fucking slaps hard. So good.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Something about Odyssey just left no impression on me. I just kinda feel nothing for it.

3D World is pretty tight though.

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
Odyssey but Super Mario 3D World + Bowsers Fury isn't far behind it.

I love both, and I can play both. That is all that matters. =)

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
3D World is still my favorite 3D Mario, but Odyssey is right behind it. Bowser's Fury was a pretty nice middleground of a lot of the things I really liked about both. Can't go wrong with either, but an Odyssey followup that had more of the platforming challenges from the post game scattered throughout the entire experience would be pretty ideal for me

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Odyssey is the best Mario platformer and the best game on the Switch.
So that one.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey. If 3D World (a fine game) didn't have Bowser's Fury bolted on it would be lagging even further behind in the poll.

Bowser's Fury is the future of 3D Mario.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised 3D World is lagging so far behind, it's like the perfect distillation of everything I like about Mario games in one constantly inventive, delightful package. At the end of the day, both are phenomenal games and you can't really go wrong with either.
I see people say 3D World is better than Odyssey all the time, but I guess they are a loud minority. They always say it's purer or the difficulty is more finely tuned, but in my view, that doesn't matter so much if they aren't as many memorable moments. I only remember the level you chase after the flag pole and Cat Bowser.

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Odyssey, but found the worlds to be very disappointing and I was honestly expecting the map to like, totally open up after the moon Level but then that was the end. That said, though I also love 3D World it would be hard to put it on top.

Dec 2, 2020
Prefer the movement set and control of Odyssey and the platforming of 3D World. Galaxy or Galaxy 2 beats them both by a country mile imo.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
odyssey is fine but it gets boring.

3d world is like what if your idea of 2d mario in the 90s was 3d and it's a bunch of fun.
bowser's fury is like what if 2d mario in the 90s was also an open world game and it's incredible.

smg2: 10/10
sm3dw+bf: 10/10
sm64: 8/10
smo: 7/10
sms: 6/10
smg: 6/10
sm3dl: 4/10

Jul 7, 2021
Super Mario 3D World alone by a mile. I regard it as the true sequel to Super Mario Bros. 3, and it has everything I ever wanted from such a game; tons of variety and content, lovely surprises, and some unbelievable charm in the (by my preferred) classic course clear-style. It is my favorite Super Mario game ever made.

Super Mario Odyssey is the best "open" Super Mario game so far, and is a much better game than Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine were, but it's still not my favorite type of Mario adventure.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Odyssey. This was easy for me bc I put Odyssey as the best Mario game overall. 3D World was not near the top, and Bowser's Fury doesn't help it enough.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Odyssey is better than even the Galaxy games so there's no competition really. Bowser's fury does some neat stuff but I was so disappointed that the controls were based on 3D world. I get why, but the comparison with Odyssey is unfavourable.

Sir Sonic

Jan 14, 2020
Odyssey's co-op sucks ass, but It's still a more enjoyable and fun game compared to ... almost any 3D platformer of the last 5 or 6 years

Nov 27, 2017
I know this discussion often boils down to Odyssey's exploration vs 3D World's platforming, but I honestly think the platforming of Odyssey is a little overlooked. Yeah there's the exploration ala 64 and Sunshine, but there's a ton of pure platforming goodness that builds on the 'secret' stages of Sunshine.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Never been a huge fan of 3D World and the rerelease haven't changed my opinion too much. Though it is fun to go through. I really loved Bowser's Fury, as a little self contained Mario game it's just excellent.

I'm still going with Odyssey. Movement, creativity, visuals... I just love it and it's probably my favorite one.

I see people say 3D World is better than Odyssey all the time, but I guess they are a loud minority.
That's usually the case when a game is not as popular or people feel it's overlooked. I feel it's like an overcorrection to prop a game up. Right now Xenoblade X is going through something similar. I mean I like it but the hyperbole around it is crazy and should calm down once it rereleases, as it did for 3D World.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
3D World by far even without Bowser's Fury. Odyssey is great in a lot of ways, but there's too many not-quite levels and the absurd amount of moons makes them feel cheap and kills any feeling of accomplishment. 3D World might not the most challenging game either, but Odyssey was altogether too easy. I really like both though.

TGB86

Jan 27, 2021
3D world is the weakest 3D Mario game, to me, and by a considerable margin. Odyssey is one of the greatest games ever made. Easy call, even with Bowsers Fury thrown in.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I enjoyed 3D World a lot more than Odyssey. And that's without playing the improved Switch version of 3D World.

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fury has such a great structure, would love that combined with Odyssey to get the ultimate 3D Mario.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
That's tough. I found Odyssey good but not incredible. I hated 3D World. Bowser's Fury might be my favorite 3D Mario. Of the three, it's Bowser's Fury. But 3D World sours the package.