• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017

Chrixter

Oct 29, 2017
My god, that final sequence and ending. I haven't smiled/laughed like that while playing a game in a long time.

I finished the main story after 25 hours and with 454 moons ... and there's still so much game left. Looking forward to getting 100%.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know if you can rewatch the ending after finishing the game. I want to beat it tonight, but my daughter is asleep and she'll be devastated if I finish the game without her.

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
So, with Damiani (from EZA) 5/5 review, the tally is 43 perfect scores for Odyssey on Metacritic and almost 60 above 9.5.

The GotY award this year competing with BotW it's gonna be a legendary match... :)

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
I have one moon left in the Sand Kingdom but both the parrot and the toad that give hints say they have no more hints to give...... Will this come at a later time or am I missing something?

This is post game.

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the main story - what a magical experience.

The moon sequence is simply fantastic, and I can't help but play through it with a giant smile. WHO would expect Mario to actually capture Bowser and use it in a escape sequence?! The final theme totally sounds like something out of a 3D sonic games, not that I am complaining. The Peach scene is funny as well - can't wait to find her somewhere in this great wide world! Time to experience all the post game contents - the Odyssey continues!

I mean, I thought everyone thought/expected that? Seemed like a given. I'd be surprised if we didn't capture Bowser
Well, there are fleeing moments during my playthrough where I wonder if Bowser will actually be captured. However, I was thinking strictly in terms of a boss battle, and you can't really do much when you straight up taking control of the boss. It just wouldn't be fun. So it is surprising to me that they "find the solution" to my problem. Now that I look back at it, there can be different ways to incorporate capturing Bowser in a boss battle, so it's not even real problem.

Last edited:

Synbios

Oct 27, 2017
Someone help me on this please. I have no idea how to get out of here.

https://twitter.com/joshread/status/925875645896212480
If you waggle the joycon you'll add extra length to the cap throw which can buy you enough time to knock his hat off and capture him before he blows up.

Also I think you're going through it "backwards" which is making it a lot harder, the original front entrance was the hole directly under the pyramid, if you want to go through "forwards".

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I've spotted some purple shell collectibles through a crack in a wall right under the Hot Spring Island checkpoint but I cannot for the life of me find a way inside. Am I missing something obvious or should I come back at a later date?

jorgeobamajr

Oct 25, 2017
Are you Missing Mission 68?
I may not be 100% right, but I believe this is it:

If you haven't yet, talk to the Taxi Guy in front of Tostarena Town. One of the Tostarenas will start travelling between kingdoms and if you keep talking to him, he'll eventually return to Sand, where he'll give you the last moon. It's weird.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Are you Missing Mission 68?
I may not be 100% right, but I believe this is it:

If you haven't yet, talk to the Taxi Guy in front of Tostarena Town. One of the Tostarenas will start travelling between kingdoms and if you keep talking to him, he'll eventually return to Sand, where he'll give you the last moon. It's weird.

Thanks for the reply! That sounds like it may be it.....

I'm in no rush to get it and I like to see how things shake out down the line, so that sounds like what it entails.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the only area I really found annoying was deep woods because that area looks very samey which makes navigating annoying. I spent quite a while trying to do the hatless timer moon only to put it off when it became clear that I had absolutely no direction where the moon was actually showing up and kept getting lost

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished
Lake Kingdom, it seemed really small compared to the others so far
I feel like Metro Kingdom is supposed to be around the halfway point. Though obviously it'll change in terms of how many optional moons you get. I believe you need 124 moons to get to the final story level
I got more than that and I haven't even hit Metro

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Just did the part everyone has been talking about.

That is easily in my top 3 gaming moments of all time.

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
For people who have problems with that New Donk City Moon:

Try playing in handheld mode. I wasn't able to get anywhere close to 100 jumps when in docked and was wondering how people were able to pull that off. Then I thought, maybe the lag of my TV makes this harder than it actually is. I tried handheld mode and, voilà, finished it first try.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Need help with a wooded kingdom moon. (Post Game)

I found one of the guys from the Luncheon Kingdom says he needs to start a fire to cook with. I found a fire hammer brother near where music toad is hanging out but every time I try to capture the hammer brother he just outright dies instead of being captured? This has to be the fire source but I'm not sure what to do if you can't directly capture the dude.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Need help with a wooded kingdom moon. (Post Game)

I found one of the guys from the Luncheon Kingdom says he needs to start a fire to cook with. I found a fire hammer brother near where music toad is hanging out but every time I try to capture the hammer brother he just outright dies instead of being captured? This has to be the fire source but I'm not sure what to do if you can't directly capture the dude.

You're definitely on the right track, as that's how I obtained the moon. That sounds like a glitch to me. Maybe try restarting?

membran

Oct 27, 2017
I think I messed up my Moon List for the Hat Kingdom. I was getting the secret hint art one for that level, and whilst getting it, I opened the map to check what else was missing. Then I noticed the entry for that moon wasn't filled out / marked as done. Apparently, opening the map too soon may mess with the game marking it as done (after getting a moon, there's the usual brief "moon get!" animation, followed by a "saving..." notification in the corner of the screen. I most likely brought up the map right in the middle of it, thus interrupting the usual flow). So now I have all moons of that level, but the moon list still counts 30/31 with that one entry unchecked. And I can't get the game to re-check the list by getting the moon again, because in that sense the game knows that I have it already, only a transparent one pops out, which resolves into a couple of coins.

I'm unsure how to proceed, and if one can expect a patch for this kind of thing. It seems a rather unusual problem. Google comes up empty, too.

This really will dampen my enjoyment of the rest of the game, knowing that the savegame I'm "completing"... can't be completed. Ugh.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I'm at the end here, and I am excited. THis game rocks.

New Donk City and luncheon were my favorite.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am now at about 450 moons and i still have no idea how to do that rope jumping game properly? I always get to about 40-50 jumps and then no dice.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Dark Side is totally the World Mushroom/Flower of this game. Remixed levels + boss rush

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Did everyone do the New Donk City scene as soon as it was an option? Or did you wait for it?
I got the band together as soon as I got to New Donk, but I decided to intentionally wait until I beat the game to play the festival portion because I expected something special. I think waiting like that made for a better ending of the game for me than the actual ending.

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm unsure how to proceed, and if one can expect a patch for this kind of thing. It seems a rather unusual problem. Google comes up empty, too.

This really will dampen my enjoyment of the rest of the game, knowing that the savegame I'm "completing"... can't be completed. Ugh.

Are you sure you got the moon for the hat kingdom? Hint art moons are collected in kingdoms different from the ones where you find the hint.

membran

Oct 27, 2017
Are you sure you got the moon for the hat kingdom? Hint art moons are collected in kingdoms different from the ones where you find the hint.

This was indeed my first hint art moon I've gotten. I didn't know about it being marked on the level the actual hint art is located. That would make a ton more sense instead of a save glitch in a Nintendo game. I'm checking this out later - you maybe have saved my mood for the evening, many thanks!

Edit: I just checked, it did in fact unlock the entry in the kingdom the hint art was from, not in which kingdom it was for, so all is good. Thanks again, mood saved. :)

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I finally got to experience the festival. I love this game so much.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Jump Rope Genius moon is the dumbest shit ever

Agreed. I can't believe they locked moons behind both that and the volleyball game. I actually managed to do both of them, but it was the most pointlessly challenging thing in the game by far. The volleyball game was at least a little bit easier to do if you just use Cappy to hit the ball and ignore hitting it with Mario himself. The jump rope I couldn't find any real strategy for, it's really just getting into the right rhythm of button presses and remaining in that zone for... a very long time. Both of those moons stick out like a sore thumb and are certainly not something I look forward to should I ever replay the game.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw..._avoid_shaking_joy_cons_by_pressing_a_second/

It looks like most motion control actions can be substituted by a second button press. Wish they had told you this in game...
Thank the lord for this. It is my only complaint with Odyssey, but it is very a big one.

What sealed the deal for me is over the weekend on Saturday night I decided to play in bed. My wife was already asleep. I thought to myself she is a heavy sleeper and I doubt she will feel me moving some to use the motion controllers.
After my 2nd time going to do a motion control she kicked me and said, and I quote "What the fuck are you doing I am trying to sleep?"
In particular I was trying to do the circle hat throw. I realize it is a move that is not needed, but if you are going to introduce it I am going to try it. I immediately thought to myself WTF was Nintendo thinking. There has to be an option that does not need motion controls. I tried everything I could and could not figure it out, so I gave up trying that move. And the throw it up move. Any move that required motion controls I said to myself I just will not be using them.

I did just read on this link apparently I just need to use the left analog stick to get mario spinning and it will work the same, but the game should do a better job to do this, and there really should be descriptions for every way to do the motion controls not using motion controls.

It is a huge fuck up in my opinion. A huge one. Not sure what the hell they were thinking.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
I have finally gotten this game yesterday, and I have a great time with it! The controls took a bit getting used to due to the split Joy-Cons setup, but it seems easy to use. The only issue is the camera seems a bit slow to adjust, but I forgot to set that up in the Options. One of the best moves that feels great using is the rolling move where you can make Mario spin roll like a hedgehog (you know what I mean). While I am not surprised that Cascade Kingdom is the first Kingdom, I am surprised that Sand Kingdom is the second one. I guess I am expecting to be surprised by having a different kingdom, but I will take it.

In Cascade Kingdom, I wonder if I have to eventually come back here since there are a few things that still needs to be done. Particularly:
- I can only find 40 out of 50 local currency
- There's a stone blocking something near one of the checkpoints, but the dinosaur can't reach this part
- A blank painting exists
- It would be odd that only 6 moons are available in the first world before I can find any costumes here

In some ways, Tostarena feels like the first full level since it seems like Cascade Kingdom is not the full level yet. Besides, I have more fun with this level compared to the dinosaur level since it feels more open than that. I have seen some Moons being collected in the demos that some people did, but it feels great to actually do some myself. For example, the Take Notes one was when they demonstrated the 2 player function, but I managed to get them after a few attempts (it's harder than it looks), and for the Koopa Troopa walk one, I managed to get 98 points out of this since I used the camera to make a consistent running motion around the circle.

A question: if you only have 4 Moons in Cascade Kingdom to power up the Odyssey, what would happen when you go back to power up the Odyssey? I managed to get two other Moons on the way so that I have 6 (1 for the first, 3 from the boss and two from within the level), so I can't check this any more.

Thank you for reading.

Phire Phox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have finally gotten this game yesterday, and I have a great time with it! The controls took a bit getting used to due to the split Joy-Cons setup, but it seems easy to use. The only issue is the camera seems a bit slow to adjust, but I forgot to set that up in the Options. One of the best moves that feels great using is the rolling move where you can make Mario spin roll like a hedgehog (you know what I mean). While I am not surprised that Cascade Kingdom is the first Kingdom, I am surprised that Sand Kingdom is the second one. I guess I am expecting to be surprised by having a different kingdom, but I will take it.

In Cascade Kingdom, I wonder if I have to eventually come back here since there are a few things that still needs to be done. Particularly:
- I can only find 40 out of 50 local currency
- There's a stone blocking something near one of the checkpoints, but the dinosaur can't reach this part
- A blank painting exists
- It would be odd that only 6 moons are available in the first world before I can find any costumes here

In some ways, Tostarena feels like the first full level since it seems like Cascade Kingdom is not the full level yet. Besides, I have more fun with this level compared to the dinosaur level since it feels more open than that. I have seen some Moons being collected in the demos that some people did, but it feels great to actually do some myself. For example, the Take Notes one was when they demonstrated the 2 player function, but I managed to get them after a few attempts (it's harder than it looks), and for the Koopa Troopa walk one, I managed to get 98 points out of this since I used the camera to make a consistent running motion around the circle.

A question: if you only have 4 Moons in Cascade Kingdom to power up the Odyssey, what would happen when you go back to power up the Odyssey? I managed to get two other Moons on the way so that I have 6 (1 for the first, 3 from the boss and two from within the level), so I can't check this any more.

Thank you for reading.
Yes you will need to return later in the game to get more moons/local coins.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Thank you for reading.

Are you asking what happens if you go back to the Odyssey without having enough to go the next level? It just adds the moons you have to the ship and increases your total, but it won't be "powered up" and you can't yet travel to the next kingdom.

Or if you're asking if you can go back to collect ones you missed, yes, you can do that.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I just finished this and I just don't think it was nearly as good as Galaxy 1 and 2. I may be alone and I'm fine with that.
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.