• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
I play this game for most of the day, it is absolutely incredible. New Donk City spoiler below.

I just finished the festival mission with the original Donkey Kong segment.

On my list for best moment of the year, easily.

Mo0

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe I'm saying this, but Mario had the same unique idea as a Yoko Taro game.

Specifically the transition to chiptune music and back again for certain things.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sooooooo I wanted to play in portable mode but the motion control only moves prompted me to start on the tv first to see what it felt like. Now I'm kicking ass and am thinking fuck now I don't want to play portable mode. But that's the way I wanted to play it! So any thoughts on how the game handles portable only?

It plays fine in portable mode. Sure I miss not being able to correct my hat tosses mid throw but it's not a huge deal.

robotd

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't get when you buy a moon from the hat vendors. Does this just automatically take one off from your list that you could've found or do you have to buy a moon from every Kingdom?

I looked in the list and couldn't find anything correlated. Or is this buying a moon thing just to help advance to the next level without affecting the list.

Dan at GiantBomb mentioned on the Bombcast that he had found all the moons without buying any, so he just went to see how many he could buy and it seemed like he could just keep buying them. He had 850 or so "natural moons" (I can't remember exactlty) and bought enough to get into the 900's. He thought that they were available if you just wanted to buy your way to the next world but he didn't seem completely sure. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Man this game is making me very tempt to get a switch, i thought i could resist until the next pokemon but goddam now i dont know. To make it worse there's a 10% discount on the bundle at my local store.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had to put the game down because I didn't notice I was playing so long that the battery was almost dead.
Guess I'll watch Stranger Things now.

jorgeobamajr

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so I am still on the fossil kingdom. I have not explored any other worlds because I want to get as many moons and purple coins before I progress

However , I only got 17 moons out of 25 and I searched the world upside down . I guess the other moons will unlock as we progress ? Maybe unlock after I acquired certain abilities ?

You've 100%'d what you can get in your first go, yeah. More stuff unlocks later, but it's pretty stupid that they're listed from the get-go. Two things you can do to know if you're done are:
1 - check the Hint Toad or Uncle Amiibo - if they ran out of hints, I'm pretty sure you've gotten all you could.
2 - if all of your moons are one after the other in the list (meaning, if you have 17 moons you have 1 through 17), you're statistically likely to be done with what you can so far.

Again, pretty stupid, but you're done w/ it for now.

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
Dan at GiantBomb mentioned on the Bombcast that he had found all the moons without buying any, so he just went to see how many he could buy and it seemed like he could just keep buying them. He had 850 or so "natural moons" (I can't remember exactlty) and bought enough to get into the 900's. He thought that they were available if you just wanted to buy your way to the next world but he didn't seem completely sure. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
thanks. definitely seems to be to move on to the next kingdom.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
You've 100%'d what you can get in your first go, yeah. More stuff unlocks later, but it's pretty stupid that they're listed from the get-go. Two things you can do to know if you're done are:
1 - check the Hint Toad or Uncle Amiibo - if they ran out of hints, I'm pretty sure you've gotten all you could.
2 - if all of your moons are one after the other in the list (meaning, if you have 17 moons you have 1 through 17), you're statistically likely to be done with what you can so far.

Again, pretty stupid, but you're done w/ it for now.

Thanks, time to go to he next world .

By the way, playing this with split joy con is perfect, I really want a Mario Galaxy remaster for switch

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The regular controls are perfectly fine. I'm using split joy cons because I like that setup anyway, but it's really only the occasional hat throw that required it. It's mostly just a "nice to have".

To add to this

There are a few times you need to shake the controller to do stuff, but you can do that with the pro controller/portable mode.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing all day. Really enjoying it. So many Moons. Finally taking a break. I'm really digging the emphasis on exploration.

Dhuggs_

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I have been playing for about an hour and man, this game is just amazing and so much fun already. It just runs so well, plays so well. I feel like a kid playing Mario 64 again. I also don't mind the motion controls that much which is odd to me. I thought I would despise them.

PockyWitch

Oct 27, 2017
I expected a lot from this game but Nintendo really turned up those knobs to 11 for this.
I'm having so much fun with this, despite not being all that much of a platformer fan.
The fact that there are so many "small" moons is really nice, feels very rewarding to solve dozens of tiny puzzles, it's exactly what I like.

So far i would say i like New Donk City the most, haven't seen all the worlds yet though but this one has so much to do.
I spent over two hours playing the RC car minigame... at one point I was #8 worldwide. I felt kinda proud about it, rechecked a few hours ago and i had already dropped down to 22 or so. But oh well, it was fun.
Also, does anyone else just love taking the scooter and driving around? Jumping and "drifting" is kinda fun, plus the HD rumble is so good. Love that they used the engine sounds for that. HD rumble general is fantastic in this game.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
The regular controls are perfectly fine. I'm using split joy cons because I like that setup anyway, but it's really only the occasional hat throw that required it. It's mostly just a "nice to have".

Yeah, I don't like motion controls so I'm kind of relieved that they're not necessary. Thanks for the info :)

Oct 27, 2017
This game actually brought me to tears multiple times. It's so jubilant, so warm, I feel overwhelmed buy it. Truly a game worthy of being called a M64 sequel.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I just did the jump rope for the first time and got 54, and thought "not bad"

then I see the leaderboard has 6000 jumps.

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
Shit, now I'll have to buy a Switch. Thank you very much Nintendo.
I'm of the opinion that a single game is not worth a system purchase. However, between this, Zelda, Splatoon, and Mario & Rabbid Kingdom Battle, the Switch is totally worth owning to me.

I still don't use it as much as my PS4/Xbox, but the good games on the system are some of the best out there.

Oct 27, 2017
Man I love this game. I just finished the Sand Kingdom and I collected all the power moons. I think this is the first game that I actually wanted to collect everything.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
This game gives the same sense of "if you think you can do something, you probably can" that BotW gives. I've found that most things I think to do/want to get to I not only can do, but receive a moon for doing so. Most notably so far in the Sand Kingdom:
I took the fishing Lakitu outside of the pond because I liked that he floated and wanted to see how far I could take him. I ventured into the desert a little bit and noticed that there were fish shadows in the sand, so I cast my line and end up catching Captain friggin Toad, who gives me a moon.

What a game.

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
I'm of the opinion that a single game is not worth a system purchase. However, between this, Zelda, Splatoon, and Mario & Rabbid Kingdom Battle, the Switch is totally worth owning to me.

I still don't use it as much as my PS4/Xbox, but the good games on the system are some of the best out there.
Mario + Rabbids = ME WANTEE!!

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yeah, the split joycons don't work for me either, and I really wanted them to. I used to love the wii remote and nunchuck and honestly don't know why that setup feels right but the joycons cramp me up. Is it like, a weight difference thing?

Mo0

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, I just found the first Sunshine/Galaxy style "Jumps only" area and I'm even more in love with this game

Finnroth

Oct 27, 2017
Man this game is making me very tempt to get a switch, i thought i could resist until the next pokemon but goddam now i dont know. To make it worse there's a 10% discount on the bundle at my local store.

I feel you :D I caved in and bought the game an hour ago...and I don't think I can resist buying a Switch much longer xD

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
This is some magic take me back to being a kid shit right here. Wow

Whatever shit is going on in 2017 is gone while I'm jumping Mario around these levels.

Thank you Nintendo

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Played through the whole game using split joy cons. I don't use those stupid connector things I dunno if that is whats causing grief for some people.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
I've played up to the first fork (and gone back through the first few worlds to comb for moons)... this game is absolutely amazing! Nintendo's understanding of game design remains second to none.

It remains to be seen whether its better than Breath of the Wild (an all-timer, in my book), but y'know, thats a high freaking bar!

FamousLastX

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even a big fan of 3D Mario games, actually Sunshine is pretty much the only one I liked surpisingly..This game has pleasantly surprised me so far. I went into it thinking I wouldn't nearly like it as much as the reviewers whose articles and videos I checked out, but I'm having a blast. Definitely easy to lose hours in this game getting caught in a loop of looking for just one more moon or wanting to go check out if there's anything on the other side of that giant hill over there, etc.

I love the little challenges/puzzles even though most of them are relatively easy they're still neat to figure out. This is a Mario game that feels fun and fresh to me for the first time in forever. What a phenomenal first year for the Switch, far exceeded my expectations.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My kids are loving this, partly thanks to the controls.
I on the other hand, cannot get a consistent spin move with the hat when I move the joycons to the side :(

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the split joycons don't work for me either, and I really wanted them to. I used to love the wii remote and nunchuck and honestly don't know why that setup feels right but the joycons cramp me up. Is it like, a weight difference thing?
Have you tried playing without the straps? Game changer for me.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo made Breath of the Wild, which is a game I considered the best of the year, one of my favorite games of all time, and thought they would never top it. Today, almost 8 months later, Nintendo literally 1-up themselves.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
r1GCSR6.jpg

Purdy rainbow mountain up ahead with a blue cherry on top.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Every kid is gonna want this for Christmas. I'm so glad I'm not a parent or child having to hunt down a Switch or hoping to get one under the tree this year. I seriously hope Nintendo can keep this momentum and level of quality.

Oct 27, 2017
Every kid is gonna want this for Christmas. I'm so glad I'm not a parent or child having to hunt down a Switch or hoping to get one under the tree this year. I seriously hope Nintendo can keep this momentum and level of quality.

100% in agreement with you. Like I mentioned earlier, if you want a switch, get it now before Christmas shopping season starts as Nintendo won't be able to keep the switch in stock this holiday season.