• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 2 is in desperate need of this. It looks like a low res gif on the switch.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Luckily I bought a switch when it was still hackable, so I can dump my own catridges legally ;)

This is really convenient because some games run like rubbish on switch.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
According to the current Steam hardware survey only 6% of the PC players use something above 1080p:

screenshot_2019-01-11czdy7.png

786p must be standard laptops playing easy to run titles.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the BOTW video looks weird too. I feel, with BOTW, the animation and pacing looks like it was designed purely for 30fps.
No such thing. The game looks weird because you're used to the vastly inferior 30fps it usually runs at.

It did use to have issues with arrow drop and such but that was fixed this month.
Does one need a super powerful PC to use this emulator?
For now, yes.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Does this emulation rely more on CPU or GPU? I have an i7-8700 but no dedicated GPU :p

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I dont think thats the case for a high percentage of people who want a Switch emulator at this point. But if you also have the console thats ok.

You can literaly just plug the Switch into your monitor. So why run an emulator on the pc to play the games?

Longevity and improvements over the original hardware. When I visited my parents the US for Christmas, I ripped a load of my PSone games. Emulators can run it in 4K (I do 1080p) and also make it so the polygons aren't wobbly. That alongside having digital to analog control mapping on a joystick have made it feel like I've gotten a boatload of new games this Christmas.

Who knows how long those discs will last? At least I've got the rips for backups.

It took 14 years for Dolphin to implement Ubershaders and fix the last major hurdle for really good Gamecube and Wii emulation. So starting this shit early is pretty valuable.

Plus, there's a lot of online games out there with content that won't be around forever. So an emulator is invaluable for preserving all that.

And N64 was a console where there was a backlash against an emulator coming out while the console was out - and coincidentally or not, N64 emulation still sucks ass.

And, in this specific case, I don't think Switch emulation is gonna be good enough during its lifespan for it to be a viable alternative.

This. Take PS3 for example. Sony shows no plans of continuing to provide PS3 owners with ways of playing their disc based games. I feel lucky that PS3 emulation is gradually progressing as well. I have dozens and dozens of PS3 games that I will likely be able to play enhanced on PC in a few years that I won't be able to play at all on a future Sony console.

Last edited:

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No if someone uploads a ROM to a file sharing website it's illegal period.

Also its Still illegal for your friend to give you the dump even if you purchased your own copy.
Well, no, that depends on the specific jurisdiction. In my country I definitely have the right to download games I own from wherever the hell I want. The only one breaking the law is the person uploading the game.

Grigorig

Oct 30, 2017
Longevity and improvements over the original hardware. When I visited my parents the US for Christmas, I ripped a load of my PSone games. Emulators can run it in 4K (I do 1080p) and also make it so the polygons aren't wobbly. That alongside having digital to analog control mapping on a joystick have made it feel like I've gotten a boatload of new games this Christmas.

Who knows how long those discs will last? At least I've got the rips for backups.

This. Take PS3 for example. Sony shows no plans of continuing to provide PS3 owners with ways of playing their disc based games. I feel lucky that PS3 emulation is gradually progressing as well. I have dozens and dozens of PS3 games that I will likely be able to play enhanced on PC in a few years that I won't be able to play at all on a future Sony console.

Yup I very recently went to rip my Tenchu and RE2 discs - sadly disc rot has killed them both :(

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice to see this emulator progressing smoothly. By the time I upgrade my PC it'll be running games perfectly.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Nothing to do with what I was saying, but whatever.

Nope, you're wrong.

Anyways... It's a shame that the anti-emulation force come into every thread like this to spread FUD, lies, and misinformation about emulation, copyright, and software licensing. I swear they must know what they're doing; probably just trying (and most times succeeding) to get emulation threads shut down due to "piracy" discussion, which they are always the ones to bring up in the first place.

It sucks that we can never have a thread to talk about an emulator without it eventually getting closed due to these posts.

dude, say what you want but you still need the console itself (switch) to dump your purchased games legally.
otherwise its illegal. you said in your very first post in this thread this:
Well, looks like I'll never be buying a Switch! :)

that's the reason people ITT "jump on you" because technically they are right.

Feb 10, 2018
In emulation, game speed is typically tied to game performance. It's especially the case that Yuzu doesn't handle capping game speed correctly right now, so games that are easier to run end up running 3-4x speed.

Oh right, the odyssey footage does not look very good with it being reduced speed, I would rather play it on Switch.
But, it is good progress switch emulation is making.