• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one looks better, overall?

• Super Mario Galaxy 1/2

Votes: 196 10.8%
  • Super Mario 3D World

Votes: 223 12.2%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 1,403 77.0%

• Total voters

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Thank god Odyssey broke away from 3D Worlds artstyle. Sure its clean and it looks good, but thats how all things Mario looked for a full generation, its too homogenized now. Odysseys creative new art direction is a breath of fresh air.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I can see why some people might not like some of the more realistic art direction in Odyssey, but I think Nintendo already catches enough flack for having a lack of variety in their styles, so I'd say this is smart move.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely prefer the look of 3D World. Odyssey is very inconsistent. Some areas look brilliant, while others look really bad (like the entirety of NDC).

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
you are off your rocker.

Every Galaxy screen you posted looks terrible on its own merits and the fact you seem to think they look good is hilarious.

Lighting and scale of the actual playable world is so much better in Odyssey.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Agree here that some stages look a bit rough in Odyssey. But i think overall its pretty much equal, or a bit superior visually

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Odyssey looks way better than those games and is in general better than many Switch games both in terms of artstyle and execution

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
You are objectively wrong

It's about which art style that you prefer, Mario's character model is so ridiculously detailed compared to Galaxy

I think maybe New Donk is the example that you can use to make this game look bad, wooded kingdom is mostly fine as well

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
I dont agree with you OP sorry.

Those Galaxy Screens make me feel something in my chest.

*queues gusty garden galaxy music*

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
No.

Though I do like Galaxy's art style the most, it still is a generally worse looking game because of the low resolution of the Wii (and yes, I played the original on a CRT). As others have pointed out, it's cheating by using Dolphin screenshots -- that's not how 99% of people experienced the game. Another thing to note when using Dolphin is that it exposes a lot of the shortcomings of Galaxy, namely a lot of the repeating or low-quality textures.

Mario Odyssey is the best looking game of the three. True, that grass texture is some Dreamcast-looking shit, along with a few other less-stellar-looking aspects, but the game still looks generally great overall.

Last edited:

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Odyssey looks the best. Most likely the product of being the most recent Mario, but it still looks the best. Galaxy games come as a close second, they have a stellar art style, which is unfortunately held back by 480p (C'mon gimme those remasters Nintendo). And lastly 3D World, which has always been drab and dull to me.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
I agree with the OP, I don't understand all those votes for Odyssey at all. The other games are timeless, Odyssey isn't.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I prefer the art styles of 3D World and Galaxy, most definitely.

Odyssey has some fantastic looking areas, but a lot of it is incredibly inconsistent (which I think is partially what they were going for).

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
3d world was the best looking. Odyssey for me was forgettable. In saying this, i would like to see all these games at 4k to make a true comparison.
But i just loved the art style of 3d world. I hated the fake new york level and that dumbass song in mario odyssey.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Haha, even with the cherry-picked Odyssey grass screenshots it's still winning the poll. Whoops.

TeHi & BuSp

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Odyssey looks like a game in which Mario was put in after the game itself was thought of.
Like Mario 2 USA

BusinessKong

Dec 3, 2018
I think Odyssey looks better by far, but I will say its inconsistent art style is a slight knock against it compared to Galaxy and 3D World. All great looking games though.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy 1,2 and Mario 3D World have a much more coherent artstyle. But overall I think Odyssey is the better (and more interesting) looking game. It is not perfect, but at least they tried something new visually.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Art direction ? OP is right.

Models, texture work, shaders? Odyssey is objectively more complex and newer, but the IQ is also not great when running in the Switch.

Scope ? Odyssey seems a bit more ambitious.

Overall I like how Galaxy 1, 2 and 3D world LOOK, over Odyssey, but its a combination of art direction and the Switch having sub-par IQ.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I think the OP is crazy, but are some of the images not showing up for people? I feel like if you're going to make the argument, I'd like to be able to see what you're using to make the comparison.

Nlroh

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised so many people like that much the way Odyssey looks, because for me the art direction is atrocious. Galaxy remains the Mario game with the best art direction.

Oct 25, 2017
This thread reminded me that somehow Zelda can change dramatically between games but Mario always has to retain his fisher price look.

I understand why i guess but it would be nice to have a platforming mario game with a wildly different art style, the games during the nes and snes era looked wildly different.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I'm still so in love with Wooded Kingdom.
People (rightfully) shit on that kingdom's grass texture but the overall presentation is simply sublime.
An industrial setting claimed by nature is probably one of my favorite things in games and Odyssey did it perfectly.
Makes you wonder what Nintendo would be capable of if they had at least a PS4 level machine running their games.

Someday....
Yeah, it's the thing that will naturally look better as tech improves. Why limit the series to simply super cartoony styles when Odyssey shows it can work when expanding out from that?

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
One of things that make Odyssey such a great game to look at when you first play it is the varying art styles of each Kingdom. It's exciting not quite knowing what to expect, visually, from level to level.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually surprised so many people like that much the way Odyssey looks, because for me the art direction is atrocious. Galaxy remains the Mario game with the best art direction.

I mainly just don't like the hideous looking rabbit mini-bosses. Everything else is aces though.

Playing handheld mode yeah the game is pretty rough looking I will agree. Docked though it looks amazing.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Graphically and technically, no doubt the switch game looks better. Mario himself just stands out with more detail.

But artistically yeah, I can't stand how Odyssey turned out. It's one of the few mainline Mario games I don't like, and also felt was pretty overhyped with scores. Mario is a joy to play, but the art is all over the place, the challenge doesn't start until you finish the game and the level designs I just don't have fun with....

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
I'm pretty pleased with how Odyssey looks. I'm so tired of the 'New Super Mario Bros' aesthetic prior to it.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Art Direction wise its my least favorite by far, felt off putting to play and too visually all over the place in terms of stylization and choices made, starting with that T-Rex .. ugh

Technically speaking, its of course far above the previous entries, they did some cool shit there

Apo

Oct 28, 2017
From a technical standpoint? No! But the art style in Odyssey is sometimes ... ugh! As if they couldn't decide whether they want the Mario art style from SMG1&2 and SM3DW or a more realistic art style. I don't like it and would prefer an art style similar to SMG1&2 and SM3DW or something completely different but that is just my personal taste.

Sky Walker

Oct 25, 2017
uhhhhh no. All of them looks pretty georgous and technically Odyssey is superior for obvious reasons.

But if we played 3DW and SMG on HD, I think I'll prefer Galaxy's artstyle. Simply timeless. Odyssey would be pretty close. My least favourite is 3DW; while the results still beautiful, the lighting technique in the game at a certain degree doesn't blend perfectly with the artsyle imo "as same as what happened with Wind Waker HD". But I understand why they went with this direction at that time.

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
I think it may be because you've spent much more time in the older games, so that design is 'right' to you.

Also, with the theme of Mario Odyssey being different worlds/areas getting mixed up, Odyssey doesn't really have a single unifying theme Other than, 'hats, moustaches and googly eyes'. Unlike say, Super Mario Sunshine, which almost had the opposite problem. Odyssey is almost like a stream-of-consciousness of a ton of great ideas for a Mario game, all mushed up onto one disc cartridge. And I LOVE it.

3D World is masterpiece-level design and style though. The main thing I hate about it is the way you need a bit of time to accelerate to full speed. And then when you do, the farty sound effect when you go from walking to running.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
The ugliest level in 3d world lack of AA and ugly looking grass/ ground textures and trees that would pop in was really ugly

sm3dwguide169.png

The more the open/realistic the levels are in Mario games the more ugly they tend to look.

Oof, I remember this well. One of my most distinct memories of that game in fact unfortunately, the pop-in was super noticeable because of how barren it is.

To a point, this highlights why I prefer Odyssey. Some may call it inconsistent, but the art style and engine are flexible and allow for different gameplay styles. 3D World on the other hand falls apart when it tries to do anything non abstract / without a 2D-inspired level structure.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
If we're talking emulator-upres, purely art-style-only hypotheticals, I submit for consideration Super Mario 3D Land.
Fancy lighting is the enemy of colorful visuals! None can convince me otherwise!

HuB3GOu.jpg

vOuQ5Kp.jpg

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I love galaxies artstyle, and odysseys mostly works for me.

but man im so glad mario is moving away from the 'wii' artstyle. Its just hideous