• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
So basically it's the difference between "immersive!" VR and "it's in 3D!" VR.

It makes sense that it could work, Labo testers described it as "a window into a VR world" rather than an immersive experience. That limitation would alleviate nausea problems linked to framerate and resolution.

Last edited:

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
How would that work? would they have higher FPS? or would it be just a vomiting machine?

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I love both games but honestly, that doesn't sound like a good experience at all. Both have dynamic res on a 720p screen, and while both have relatively consistent framerates (even BOTW, unlike what some trolls may say) Zelda may be very very rough to play.
MK8DX runs at native resolution, rock solid 60fps. I would have preferred them to include a first person view and put it in VR.
Splatoon in VR could have been fun as well, though with a separate mode.

Albin

Jun 29, 2018
I have no idea how well this will work, and I'm curios to see how it pans out, but I feel like some people underestimate how awful badly implemented VR can be, and how little is needed to ruin the experience.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
Last edited:

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
I love both games but honestly, that doesn't sound like a good experience at all. Both have dynamic res on a 720p screen, and while both have relatively consistent framerates (even BOTW, unlike what some trolls may say) Zelda may be very very rough to play.
MK8DX runs at native resolution, rock solid 60fps. I would have preferred them to include a first person view and put it in VR.
Splatoon in VR could have been fun as well, though with a separate mode.

maybe they are improving the performace of the games too

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
How would that work? would they have higher FPS? or would it be just a vomiting machine?

Super Mario Odyssey looks like a proper VR experience with head tracking. Probably why it is limited content that is specifically designed for VR and maintaining high framerates.

I wouldn't even call the BOTW stuff VR. It looks like it is basically BOTW 3DS. Just gives you a stereoscopic 3D view of the world. With no head tracking, lower frame rates don't matter.

Nov 13, 2017
While I totally get what people are worried about given the power of the Switch. It's like everyone has forgotten that for nearly a decade, Nintendo has developed high-quality 3D experiences just fine. So I think they know what it takes.
Plus, we're talking about cardboard here. Even allowing for adjusted expectations, I predict people will be pleasantly surprised.

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm, doesn't BOTW on the Wii U already renders the picture twice? (TV and Gamepad)

No. The screen mirroring feature requires no extra rendering. It just takes the TV's framebuffer, downscales it to widescreen 480p and displays it on the Gamepad. Has no impact on performance whatsoever; hell, the 3DS could do the same thing, and indeed did with Captain Toad 3DS (fun fact: If you adjust the 3D depth slider when playing Captain Toad 3DS, you can actually see the bottom screen move as you do this; a dead giveaway that they're using screen mirroring).

It's only when the Wii U Gamepad has to actually render something different from the main screen (ALA Starfox Zero) that it incurs that huge penalty...

Speaking of which, Star Fox Zero VR for Switch when?

So basically it's the difference between "immersive!" VR and "it's in 3D!" VR.

It makes sense that it could work, Labo testers described it as "a window into a VR world" rather than an immersive experience. That limitation would alleviate nausea problems linked to framerate and resolution.

Well in this case they're giving examples of both (perhaps that's why they chose these two games in particular?). Hopefully that means that we'll get blanket support for the 3DS style S3D across all of Nintendo's titles in addition to bespoke VR experiences too!

I'd be so happy to see 3DS style S3D come back! Even better if its a sign that the Switch Pro will have an autostereoscopic screen again! :D

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
No. The screen mirroring feature requires no extra rendering. It just takes the TV's framebuffer, downscales it to widescreen 480p and displays it on the Gamepad. Has no impact on performance whatsoever; hell, the 3DS could do the same thing, and indeed did with Captain Toad 3DS (fun fact: If you adjust the 3D depth slider when playing Captain Toad 3DS, you can actually see the bottom screen move as you do this; a dead giveaway that they're using screen mirroring).

It's only when the Wii U Gamepad has to actually render something different from the main screen (ALA Starfox Zero) that it incurs that huge penalty...

Speaking of which, Star Fox Zero VR for Switch when?
Yeah, you're right. Of course it's just mirroring on the Wii U.

StarFox Zero VR would be amazing. So would Luigi's Mansion 3 and Mario Kart 8! :D

hergipotter

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, doesn't BOTW on the Wii U already renders the picture twice? (TV and Gamepad)
I don't know about BOTW on WiiU, does it show the same screen on TV + Gamepad? Regardless, this would be the exact same screen, so it's probably only rendered once.
On Switch with stereoscopic 3D you have to render two different pictures, one for left eye, one for the right eye.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some of you guys are pretty sad.

Firstly, you haven't the slightest clue about how this thing runs. Nothing has been stated on that matter as of yet. Saying that this will be "20fps" or "unplayable" is pure ignorance at best. Wait and see before you make any argument on why this isn't good. At this stage, a lot of your responses are pathetic and uninformed.

Secondly, get off your high horses. Do you think much of the population have enough money to spend on a high-end PC and headset in addition to games to simply play "real VR blah blah blah"? No. They do not, and if they do, there are WAAAAAY better places to place your money than on some video game novelties.

At this moment in time, some of the comments in this thread from fully grown adults are simply embarrassing. Nintendo makes toys for children. Don't like it? Don't buy it.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Some of you guys are pretty sad.

Firstly, you haven't the slightest clue about how this thing runs. Nothing has been stated on that matter as of yet. Saying that this will be "20fps" or "unplayable" is pure ignorance at best. Wait and see before you make any argument on why this isn't good. At this stage, a lot of your responses are pathetic and uninformed.

Secondly, get off your high horses. Do you think much of the population have enough money to spend on a high-end PC and headset in addition to games to simply play "real VR blah blah blah"? No. They do not, and if they do, there are WAAAAAY better places to place your money than on some video game novelties.

At this moment in time, some of the comments in this thread from fully grown adults are simply embarrassing. Nintendo makes toys for children. Don't like it? Don't buy it.
I'm with you, but it's best to ignore it. Like snobs of any stripe.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
truly. some embarrassing stuff in this thread (and in every past labo thread). some people simply can't compute something not being targeted towards them.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm guessing this is just an early preview of what the Switch Pro and the eventual Switch successor are going to be offering us. If they're confident enough to drop this suddenly on two of their biggest releases this generation then maybe they're feeling good on the future of VR with their system. Or could just be a neat little experiment and I'm down to drop $35 to find out.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
What if, in those Mario Odyssey special levels, there's one of those retro-pipes and after you enter it, instead of the usual SMB1 graphic style you're treated to this:

Mario_Clash_-_Nintendo_Virtual_Boy_screen_shot.png

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
Well in this case they're giving examples of both (perhaps that's why they chose these two games in particular?). Hopefully that means that we'll get blanket support for the 3DS style S3D across all of Nintendo's titles in addition to bespoke VR experiences too!

I'd be so happy to see 3DS style S3D come back! Even better if its a sign that the Switch Pro will have an autostereoscopic screen again! :D
You mean the N3DSw?

Waveset

Oct 30, 2017
Fuck, after relenting and getting another copy of MK8, I'm also going to need a Switch version of BOTW.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
As someone trying to ignore labo altogether (too much junk in my house as is, don't want extra cardboard), this has definitely piqued my interest!

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Zelda locks to 20fps when the framerate cant hold 30fps... triple buffering i believe? This would have to be patched out at least??

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure it's already been pointed out but:

Hellblade releases April 11
Labo VR Kit releases April 12

Probably doesn't mean anything and maybe it would be too demanding of a game to be running VR mode on the Switch, but from what I can tell, it doesn't need full 6dof VR so it might be plausible? Kind of fun to think about 3rd party games getting support right away.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Probably doesn't mean anything and maybe it would be too demanding of a game to be running VR mode on the Switch, but from what I can tell, it doesn't need full 6dof VR so it might be plausible? Kind of fun to think about 3rd party games getting support right away.
No. It doesn't have VR on PS4 and it's so soon to release, that it would be something they would have announced by now.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.

6dof isn't why it wouldn't be possible. It's a matter of horsepower and being able to render that game as a stereoscopic image (putting it very simply).

Of course, Nintendo is doing Zelda. That runs at 30fps, and unless they are implementing some kind of interpolation (Vive and Rift have ASW and ATW to allow your head rotation to still be 90fps even if a game is, say, 45fps), folks are going to get very sick playing it.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I expect people who have never used VR before will be very impressed by this for 10 minutes. I am expecting maybe 3DS levels of 3D, nothing more

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Let me get this straight. You think a cheap educational VR kit is gonna make a first bad impression of VR for a lot of people when for the last 6 fuckin' years electronic stores and big box marts have been stuffed with cheap Chinese branded phone VR headsets for as low 10 bucks a pop? VR has become a cheap commodity already with worse shovelware than you realize and THIS is the product you think will make everyone pass off VR? I'm not so far up my Oculus bubble to be that delusional.

Lots of people have never tried any VR. Even the cheap stuff. The simple fact that this is Nintendo will make lots of people jump in.

Considering this is the first thing to have me even remotely consider trying anything VR related I think it'll be fine.

See?

Then this will happen.

This is honestly my feelings on it. It's gonna be completely not indicative of a real VR experience with PCVR or PSVR and may hurt the medium much more in the long run.

I mentioned this in the announcement thread but got dog piled on by all the Nintendo fans.

Yeah. My notifications have never blown up so much as they just did after I expressed doubt/concern in this Nintendo thread.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
we should care because putting out a shit products is not great for the consumer.

30fps VR pretty horrible.

Actually we shouldn't post shitty comments without all informations.
Maybe Zelda is just 3D mode similar like OoT 3D, or maybe they will even incrase frame rate for Zelda BotW.

Its best to wait for more informations, for instance all media reported that Labo VR despite low res screen is OK VR experience and good product for its price.

i don't think Nintendo will deliver a bad experience...i mean why should they do?
a game running at 20 fps at 360p?

What game runs at 20 fps?
Zelda BotW on Switch 95% of time runs at locked 30 FPS.

That's a good way to sell to the hardcore fanbase lol

Except this is aimed totally opposite from hardcore fanbase.

It certainly seems like a regular experience to me in that you can play through the entire game in a VR mode. The fact that it's cheaper is irrelevant - I can't suddenly introduce a low cost vehicle to the automobile market that is slow and unreliable and just wave my hands saying "but it's cheap and meant for broke teenagers!". It's going to be a horrible experience and turn a generation of kids away from VR.

Don't get me wrong, this has already been done with Google Cardboard but I expected so much more from Nintendo.

Of Course that price point matters, you can't expect same experience from $40 and $300 product (and I dont talking VR only).
In any case, it seems that Zelda is more 3D from 3DS than real VR.
Saying that will be "horrible experience and turn a generation of kids away from VR" is laughable

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
I expect people who have never used VR before will be very impressed by this for 10 minutes. I am expecting maybe 3DS levels of 3D, nothing more

3DS levels of 3D is not how VR works. You're fully immersed, head to toe. Think, The Matrix.

Except in this case you have glaucoma and no legs.

Edit: Oh, ok. You're assuming the BOTW mode will be a floating 3D screen to avoid making people sick.

Yeah that's possible. But then Nintendo would be absolute liars to call that VR.

Last edited:

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I expected Nintendo to be strong in VR eventually after it became mainstream already, but really surprised how much they're jumping in at this stage. Probably has their devs excited.

Hopefully this means they will have increased investment and experience with VR over time. When they can do a proper Wario Ware VR, prepare yourselves for some serious shit.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Some of comments here are ridiculous, similar when Labo VR was announced, and at end most of previews were positive.

Wait for more informations before make shitposts, also here its not point only about Mario and Zelda, this is just Labo VR update for those games, Labo VR kit offers 64 VR Mini games and tools to make even its own game, all that for $40 plus VR updates for some of current Switch games.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
No. It doesn't have VR on PS4 and it's so soon to release, that it would be something they would have announced by now.
They wouldn't announce it before Nintendo announces their Mario Odyssey and BotW support.
6dof isn't why it wouldn't be possible. It's a matter of horsepower and being able to render that game as a stereoscopic image (putting it very simply).

Of course, Nintendo is doing Zelda. That runs at 30fps, and unless they are implementing some kind of interpolation (Vive and Rift have ASW and ATW to allow your head rotation to still be 90fps even if a game is, say, 45fps), folks are going to get very sick playing it.
BotW being possible is what makes me not instantly dismiss the idea since it running at 30fps (with some dips) raises questions about how Nintendo is confident to have the ability there as one of the first games compatible with Labo VR. We'll see, but it's fun to speculate.