• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Disappointed we didn't get some Zelda levels direct from Nintendo. Played a few short ones from the community. Could be fun

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, glad it's dropping now and not in twelve hours so I can actually buckle down and start testing. Servers aren't up yet, as far as I'm aware, but the patch has arrived along with a system update.

Not sure if this is related, but as I found out yesterday from this video, the Switch tracks what patch your game is on so can't revert a physical copy to 1.0 without a full factory reset. I don't know if this applies only to SMM2 (as an extra safeguard against reverting to old versions) or to other physical games as well, but I hadn't heard about this behaviour up to this point.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Link is neat, I've already got a nice start for a dungeon level. One odd mechanic is that if you swipe a stationary powerup with your sword, it bounces forward slightly. This could make for some interesting puzzle levels, though it would be extremely difficult to communicate to the player
Ah, glad it's dropping now and not in twelve hours so I can actually buckle down and start testing. Servers aren't up yet, as far as I'm aware, but the patch has arrived along with a system update.

Not sure if this is related, but as I found out yesterday from this video, the Switch tracks what patch your game is on so can't revert a physical copy to 1.0 without a full factory reset. I don't know if this applies only to SMM2 (as an extra safeguard against reverting to old versions) or to other physical games as well, but I hadn't heard about this behaviour up to this point.
It's a systemwide thing. It's mostly there as an extra safeguard to prevent players from accidentally corrupting data if they were to load post update save data without updating the game.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Wish you could just choose link as a character instead of making him a powerup. Already played a few levels that break if you lose the powerup

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So the Ding Dong jingle becomes the Zelda puzzle jingle but you can also mess with the music as well. Peaceful, Bonus Game, Mid-Boss, and Boss themes are updated.

What I think sucks is that you lose the Master Sword from damage and turn back to Mario, so Link-themed stages will need replacement Swords throughout which I think hurts the difficulty or creates redundant backtracking affairs to get to the "spawning pipe" or whatever.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. What they should have done was once you pick up the sword you get 3 hearts and if you lose them you die. Also have the option to have players start as Link.

Super Mushrooms become small hearts. 1UPs become heart containers that increase your total hearts up to 16.

Also the P switch music should have been changed to a Zelda timer sound and invincibility should be, I dunno, the piece of power music from LA.

Mr. Gold

Jul 1, 2019
I'm pretty disappointed that you lose the power up on being hit. It really prevents creative levels without having them too easy with putting abundant power-ups.

Why not have a 2 heart system or something? This is a huge miss >_>

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
So the Ding Dong jingle becomes the Zelda puzzle jingle but you can also mess with the music as well. Peaceful, Bonus Game, Mid-Boss, and Boss themes are updated.
Excellent! I've been meaning to create a "Tail Cave" level that mirrors the layout of the dungeon from Link's Awakening. The music changes will make this much more fun and authentic.

What I think sucks is that you lose the Master Sword from damage and turn back to Mario, so Link-themed stages will need replacement Swords throughout which I think hurts the difficulty or creates redundant backtracking affairs to get to the "spawning pipe" or whatever.
Not so excellent. However, I don't know how else they would've pulled this off if the game is still to function like a Mario game. I like to think of "items" like the Master Sword, Kuribo's Shoe, and Yoshi like rare finds that you earn in levels I make, so the utilization of the sword as an item here will fit my level design style.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty disappointed that you lose the power up on being hit. It really prevents creative levels without having them too easy with putting abundant power-ups.

Why not have a 2 heart system or something? This is a huge miss >_>

Nah, there are a ton of difficult creative levels where the creator gives the user no power ups or puts a no damage requirement to complete the level.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I just learned the controls for Link's bombs from blocks in a level. Yikes.

The UX for Mario Maker remains so atrocious. It's such a frustrating game because the gameplay is great but everything around it is awful. There is so much good content buried away.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to force the Link power up to remain for an entire level even if you get hit?

No, but like always there are workarounds. You can give him a helmet via the shell enemies which gives him an "extra heart", and of course leave master swords strewn around the level, or spawning via warp pipes.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
I just learned the controls for Link's bombs from blocks in a level. Yikes.

There needs to be some signs you can place in a course like button prompts.
The way it is now, your typical casual mario noob doesn't know he can place crates with the builder suit or throw bombs with the link custume.
Writing letters with coins feels archaic. Let alone going in the menu and reading the controls.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Really enjoying the new Pokey/Spike mechanics although I do wish they were integrated more tightly with some of the powerup items and [?] blocks. It seems crazy that you can't have surprise pokey towers appear from [?] blocks.