• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Great that we've finally got an update. Hopefully this is the first of many; free, paid, I don't care just give me it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yessssss. Just in time to remind everyone how great SMM2 is in time for GOTY.

Master Sword addition looks like joy.

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how they handle Link getting hit.

1 hit kill like small Mario or do you revert back to small Mario ?

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Great update, shame it took this long for it to come out but hopefully they'll be able to get the ball rolling on more steady updates or at least communicate better.
Update 3 could be Samus and a replay system (that creators can choose to activate depending on the kind of levels they're making) as well as additionnal items and enemies like they did for this update.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
That is a solid update. Have to say I'm probably most excited for the P-Switch.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That Master Sword power-up is gonna end up creating so many amazing levels.

Ninji Speedruns is probably just gonna be going up against player ghosts and not live players, right? Otherwise I don't know how to get excited for something else rendered completely unplayable due to how shitty the netcode in this game is.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
So the Master Sword changes the music to the Zelda overworld theme, as heard in the trailer, but it's clearly overlaid so as to avoid awkward stopping and starting between scene transitions.

Would be interesting if playing in the underground levels changes the music to the dungeon theme.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Huh. I might actually buy the game now.The pokeys were a really glaring omission considering the desert theme and one of the reasons I thought there weren't nearly enough enemies added. Link power up seems really neat too.

Oct 25, 2017
A very substantial content patch at last—and extremely timely for my purposes too, as I've recently been getting back into SMM2 as my main game again, but running up against a bit of a wall when it comes to using the existing parts outside of their intended purpose (as SMM2 can be pretty constricting when it comes to that, relative to SMM1). Spikes and Pokeys are a great choice, and I love how interactive the new additions all seem to be, as that was a serious limitation with many of the new additions on day one like Twisters—they were difficult to use for anything but their intended purpose. I'm curious about how Pokeys will fit into the entity budget (hopefully not one entity per segment). Meanwhile, I hope this doesn't break as much existing tech as the last patch did.

P-blocks look amazing, and having them present in 3DW solves a significant limitation in the 3DW style (the lack of on/off blocks rather than just spikes). I'll be very interested to see how they behave when it comes to object loading in memory. Tons of experimentation to do next week when this all comes out.

The Master Sword looks very well implemented as something to replace what a lot of the SMB-themed stages in SMM1 were being used for anyway in conjunction with the Zelda Amiibo costumes. I had made an outside bet on Link's Awakening as a sixth theme, but this is functionally what I envisioned—a full Zelda move set for side-scrolling dungeon designs. One huge void left by the demise of the Mystery Mushroom has at last been filled (although not its most mundane but useful function: letting you break bricks or take a hit, with no additional functionality over a standard Super Mushroom, while only standing one tile high).

Hopefully not the last big update. It feels like June again. SMM1 took several patches to truly take shape and I think there is ample room for more to come.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We're getting closer to Super Mario Bros. X. (Or perhaps Super Mario Bros. Crossover?)

I don't like the look on the Clown Car's face when Link drops a bomb in it, though. *shivers*

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
Wow, it took them a long time to update but I'd say it was worth it. This is looking great, especially the master sword power up. Now I really hope this means more power ups will emerge like Samus or Kirby. Colour me impressed.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Great to see pokey and spike. I'll cross them off the list:

-Hammer Suit
-Frog Suit
-Tanooki Suit
-rotodisc
-Tank Theme
-Battleship theme
-Vertical stage wraparound
-Magic ball (completes the level when you touch it, would be huge to get this)
-Pipe that lets you out in the same area (as seen in the smb3 wraparound pipeworld level in ludvig von koopa's world 7)
-One way pipe
-Fire Bros
-Boomerang Bros
-block goomba
-Hot Foot
-Giant pipe cannon
-nipper
-fire nipper
-spike
-jumping pirahana plants
-ptooie
-Lava Lotus
-fire snake
-Boss Bass
-flame chomp
-Laser firing Bowser Statues
-correct mario world checkpoint
-wings being usable on yoshi
-multi coloured yoshi/koopas /w ability changes for ingested koopas (yellow/blue)
-Boss type big boo
-Reznor & his room type
-SMW kooplings & their room types
-grab block
-3up
-dragon/star coin
-key/lock
-power balloon
-crushing columns
-controllable coin line block
-triangle block
-Charging Chuck (would be most important enemy to get)
-amazin' flying hammer bros
-blargg
-thwimp
-eerie
-ninji
-Boo block
-Boo Buddy Snake
-Boo Buddy Swarm
-Disappearing Boo Buddy
-pokey
-Volcano Lotus
-Torpedo Ted
-mechakoopa
-fishin lakitu/boo
-Sparky
-Urchin
-Super Koopa
-use one games powerups in another game (ie yoshi/cape in SMB, raccoon/hammer suit in SMW etc).

When everything in this list is done it will be the ultimate mario maker for me personally. Did they add the new desert theme for SMB3 (that was only available in creator mode) for general play during the first update? I don't think I've played it since then.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
3d world kind of got the shaft here. That boost pad seems fun but I'd have to see how it interacts with enemies. 3d world needs some more parts.

Apr 9, 2019
More Nintendo-made levels is nice, though I still think the 3D World style deserves more love from the in-house level designers.

(BTW, does playing Course Mode still result in 80% low-effort levels? I kinda dropped the game because of that - searching for levels results in much beter gameplay but is totally devoid of flow, having to look for decent levels so much.)

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
latest

Dream Rod.

I feel like each mode needs its own gimmick to be viable for creation outside of nostalgia and obstacles. NES gets this, 3D World gets its own set of updates, hoping 3 and World get something too.

3 gets DKC
World gets Super Metroid

fuck me that would be good

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I wonder if the Master Sword is permanent for the duration of the level. It'd be nice if once you get the sword, you're Link for the rest of the level no matter what. Then you could design entire levels around Link.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I wonder if the Master Sword is permanent for the duration of the level. It'd be nice if once you get the sword, you're Link for the rest of the level no matter what. Then you could design entire levels around Link.
Someone said earlier on this thread that if you get hit as Link, you revert to Mario like in MM1.
But I think that was just speculation, because there's no proof about that in the video.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Fucking speechless at the Master Sword and everything it gives you. Super Zelda Maker. :O

Nintendo, you absolute madmen. Now add playable Peach, Daisy and Rosalina you cowards. :D

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looks nice, glad to see some of the crossover spirit returning to Mario Maker. It will be good to finally get another substantial batch of official levels, even if they are speed focussed. The New course elements seem pretty good and fully featured and not one-trick ponies, though I think 3DWorld got the short end of the stick since it really needs new stuff in a way the others don't. The Master Sword is interesting but I worry that it will control like the hammer and assign too many functions to the same button and thus limit it's functionality. Hopefully Nintendo remembers that all players will always have four face buttons to work with and doesn't assign everything to the run button again.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy, more Style-specific course parts. That's... that's great.

I'm glad there's finally a major editor update. I hope there's some other new things they aren't mentioning in the trailer, or that will be coming in more rapid succession in future updates (like the dozens of basic features 3D World needs). It's kind of annoying they're still gating new parts between 3D World and Not 3D World, though (no Ice Coin Blocks in 3D World, no Dash Pads outside of it), and then you have the whole Zelda mode, which is really neat, but also yet another exclusive SMB1 feature. Maybe other themes will get other exclusive modes, like SMW Samus and SMB3 Kirby, but for right now it's another exclusive Power-Up in a Style that already has several.

I just really hope they aren't going to kick the can down the road on major desired features and Styles until some eventual Super Mario Maker 3. The obvious elephant in the room is Super Mario 2 / USA, yet instead they're going with this special SMB1 Zelda mode. It's... cool? But also like, "Okay, but can you please just DO THE THING already?"

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I wonder when MP4 comes out if we'll get power armour that can turn into a morph ball and fire lasers?