• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

predict the metascore

Votes: 13 1.8%
  • 95 - 99

Votes: 37 5.2%
  • 90 - 94

Votes: 286 40.5%
  • 85 - 89

Votes: 286 40.5%
  • 80 - 84

Votes: 70 9.9%
  • 75-79

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • under 75

Votes: 8 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, Andre is not the one who should be being blamed for his review ;)

Hint: Nintendo
I don't think anyone needs to be 'blamed' for the opinion of one man, no matter who he is lol. Nintendo made an 89 metacritic game, André had criticism on it. By Friday millions will have their own opinions.

People need to chill.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I swear gaming forums/the internet sometimes really suck the joy out of gaming lol. I feel like I'm in a different reality when actually gaming with friends/alone.

Dec 18, 2018
Wow that game explain review was so negative haha seemed like 15 minutes of nitpicking. I guess I should've seen it coming based on their videos before, but it didn't sound like they liked the game even though they said they did.
Yah, comes off as Mario maker 1 snobs. They wanted 2 angry suns in one stage, How does that even work. I do miss costumes( they look cool) even thought I didn't really care for them. I don't like it when they take stuff out.

PirateKingERA

Aug 22, 2018
Houston, Texas
Yah, comes off as Mario maker 1 snobs. They wanted 2 angry suns in one stage, How does that even work. I do miss costumes( they look cool) even thought I didn't really care for them. I don't like it when they take stuff out.
They might add them later, the Mario Maker team seems to be constantly updating the game, there will be more features added in the future, probably a new style DLC as well.

Mar 9, 2018
The people scream in unison: water tiles for Mario Maker 2 DLC!
IBwater.png

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Good to see reviews are doing well, though I'm a little surprised at how little criticism there is about discoverability. Perhaps it's because of the lack of levels available before launch, but I expected some reviewers to rail Nintendo for not having the Mario Maker Bookmark site ready to launch alongside the game

No weird Mario
No Mario paint, title screen, or death sound easter eggs
Mary-O is missing (maybe this is nothing, but Nina sounds like a downgrade to me and it's weird they would get rid of an established character)
The monsters got rid of the dance party sound effect

It's all minor stuff but it adds up

GOOD! I honestly dislike the sound effects. They're annoying IMO.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like a great game, but so many exclusions and missteps, namely with the multiplayer. I just don't understand Nintendo sometimes.

Apr 21, 2018
Looks like a great game, but so many exclusions and missteps, namely with the multiplayer. I just don't understand Nintendo sometimes.

A month ago, I worried that the game wouldn't have multiplayer at all - and if so, only two player locally offline.

So, you win some and you lose some. Atleast on SMM1 they did regular updates and patches. I would definitely expect the same here.

Dec 18, 2018
I'm still excited for SMM2, but Gamexplain's reviews gives me some solid insight to consider. The lack of Amiibo costumes is a bummer but also it appears there aren't any silly opening like in SMM1 not any fun Title screen goofs (Wario making a cameo voice appearance when you click on the M in Mario or Mario's falling level voice samples) takes away some charm for sure. Still, content looks packed and I'm still eager to make some fun levels.
I played Mario maker 1, and I don't remember any of that stuff, that being said they should of included it. I do remember the costumes, hopefully they bring those back.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
IGN: "AND since it's the second version of an already groundbreaking tool it comes as no surprise the section dedicated to crafting your own fun, goofy, or absurdly punishing Super Mario levels in the style of SMB, SMW, or even SM3DW is superb."

::footage show super slow and tedious docked level making::

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
that GX review was rough, but I get where Andre was coming from. But when I think about where my enjoyment comes from in MM, it wasn't from amiibo, crazy intro screens, or multiplayer.

As long as players can create puzzle levels, precision platformers, adventure levels....I'm good. The inability to place pipes behind pipes may lead to issues tho

Last edited:

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
The kotaku, gi, Eurogamer reviews read like reviews .. the 'YouTube' ones read like fan service nit picks

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Everyone come on now Andre has an opinion and it's a completely valid opinion. I'm a Nintendo fanboy but their games come with criticism although minute criticism.

AndreGX mute out the haters cause people forget others can have an opinion

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Kudos for criticizing a Nintendo game GameXplain. Seriously, not many are doing this, specially channels with such a big audience.
Makes me actually want to watch more GameXplain again.

The critique is fair and understandable.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kudos for criticizing a Nintendo game GameXplain. Seriously, not many are doing this, specially channels with such a big audience.
Makes me actually want to watch more GameXplain again.

The critique is fair and understandable.

Why specifically "a Nintendo game" though?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Sounds like GameXplain's review is the first one I'll be referring to when I get home, going by some comments here and I ain't surprised by those who are taking issue with GX's comments lol. We'll see.
And yes, I'm buying the game on Friday as soon as I'm free from my job interview, but some of you people seem like you phisically hurt when a Nintendo game is criticized.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
I swear gaming forums/the internet sometimes really suck the joy out of gaming lol. I feel like I'm in a different reality when actually gaming with friends/alone.
Yeah I agree, I wish there were more reviews that said "hey is this a fun Mario game or not"? It's confusing when a game get destroyed in the commentary but somehow it's "we are giving this game an 85/100!"

Seems like game reviews these days never match the score they give. That's why I really like ACGs review on Youtube, he is very straight to the point on each topic.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
People would probably take GameXplain's review more seriously if it stuck to complaints like game control and cut features like amiibo costumes, but the review runs with a ton of weird superficial complaints like "title screen doesn't have a special animation every day", "not a random chance for a ten second death sound effect", "you can't tap the M letter to get a Wario sound" that end up taking up more space. Hearing about the completely subjective "charm" level being lowered sounds like a guy in a record store talking about how R.E.M "sold out" or something. Mario Maker 1 was made by quirky toy makers! But Mario Maker 2 was made by an efficient and clean corporation...

Read through their comments section and could not find any like the one "F*** you" they screenshotted. There are some people disagreeing with some complaints or being a little snarky but that's about it.

Their level of defensiveness of the review's tepid reception is honestly more sad than the few people whining about the tepid review.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
People would probably take GameXplain's review more seriously if it stuck to complaints like game control and cut features like amiibo costumes, but the review runs with a ton of weird superficial complaints like "title screen doesn't have a special animation every day", "not a random chance for a ten second death sound effect", "you can't tap the M letter to get a Wario sound" that end up taking up more space. Hearing about the completely subjective "charm" level being lowered sounds like a guy in a record store talking about how R.E.M "sold out" or something. Mario Maker 1 was made by quirky toy makers! But Mario Maker 2 was made by an efficient and clean corporation...

These were all relegated to a sub-section at the very end of the review as part of a larger point about the presentation. How is that an issue?

Read through their comments section and could not find any like the one "F*** you" they screenshotted. There are some people disagreeing with some complaints or being a little snarky but that's about it.

Did you stop to think about why that might be, or are you proposing I made it up?

Their level of defensiveness of the review's tepid reception is honestly more sad than the few people whining about the tepid review.

I'm human too, as it turns out and the vitriol gets grating. But I'm guessing you'll brush it brush as another defensive reaction, huh?

Last edited:

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like GameXplain's review is the first one I'll be referring to when I get home, going by some comments here and I ain't surprised by those who are taking issue with GX's comments lol. We'll see.
And yes, I'm buying the game on Friday as soon as I'm free from my job interview, but some of you people seem like you phisically hurt when a Nintendo game is criticized.
Really don't get all the hate on his review. All the criticisms were fair, especially the ones concerning multiplayer.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Why specifically "a Nintendo game" though?

I just have the feeling "Nintendo" games mostly get a pass for certain flaws, that's all.

I mean, you can see on this thread that Nintendo games are treated differently. How dare him, GameXplain, to actually criticize something, out with the torches and pitchforks!

I just respect what they did here.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just have the feeling "Nintendo" games mostly get a pass for certain flaws, that's all.

I mean, you can see on this thread that Nintendo games are treated differently. How dare him, GameXplain, to actually criticize something, out with the torches and pitchforks!

Ah OK. There's absolutely nothing to be gained arguing for/against your unsubstantiated gut feeling(s) so I guess that's that.

I disagree with that FWIW.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017

Not this crap again.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, there is a place for these kind of reviews but you wanna be quite invested in the series and know the reviewer as well otherwise they can come of more negative than they probably are meant to be. If this is your first review or experience with the series (many skipped the WiiU or didnt play the 3DS game) it can sound quite harsh overall.

Yeah - this only happens with Nintendo game and not every other big release.
The irony of people not being happy with a review = torches and pitchforks lol.
It works both ways.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Ohno Gamexplain noted some Easter Eggs are missing, that means I can strawman their entire review and say they didn't like it* because of that while ignoring their other criticisms, such as a more cramped workspace than the first game, worse feeling editing controls, multiplayer being poorly implemented (having to individually download levels to play them on local multiplayer, can't choose which levels to play for online, can't play with friends), lack of cohesiveness with the 3D World theme and the others, lack of basic features in the 3D world theme like enemy stacking, lack of amiibo costumes/pipe stacking, etc.

*They actually like it though.