• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

predict the metascore

Votes: 13 1.8%
  • 95 - 99

Votes: 37 5.2%
  • 90 - 94

Votes: 286 40.5%
  • 85 - 89

Votes: 286 40.5%
  • 80 - 84

Votes: 70 9.9%
  • 75-79

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • under 75

Votes: 8 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We have 100% confirmation of couch co-op, right? At least for story mode?
I believe story mode is single player only. Local multiplayer can be done but unless you're doing 2 player co-op building (joy con only limited to 2 players), you have to upload your level first and then download from the game's servers, you can't do it in coursebot for some awful reason.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I hope the ma8n 4 styles gets new enemies in patches

need fire bros, boomerang bros, ice bros, sumo bros, charg8n chucks, spikes, fuzzies, big bartha, cheep chomps, the sleeping fish. koopalings

Dec 22, 2017
I believe story mode is single player only. Local multiplayer can be done but unless you're doing 2 player co-op building (joy con only limited to 2 players), you have to upload your level first and then download from the game's servers, you can't do it in coursebot for some awful reason.
Woah hold on there. Story Mode is single player only.

Thanks for confirming. I guess they don't want my money.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Limits and issues of multiplayer mode:

• Only random levels online multiplayer, you can't select a specific one.
  • That means there will be levels that just aren't designed for multiple players.
  • You can play couch multiplayer but there's a catch: you need to download the level first (the play button on the stage browser is only for single player). So you need to exit course world, go to your downloaded courses and then select multi player. Of course that means you will be filling your download spaces all the time.
  • Even for local wireless multiplayer, the console needs to be online to get random levels.
  • And of course, you can't play with friends online.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK

• That means there will be levels that just aren't designed for multiple players.
  • You can play couch multiplayer but there's a catch: you need to download the level first (the play button on the stage browser is only for single player). So you need to exit course world, go to your downloaded courses and then select multi player. Of course that means you will be filling your download spaces all the time.
  • Even for local wireless multiplayer, the console needs to be online to get random levels.
Yeeeeeep, the feature feels like an afterthought

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That sounds very Nintendo, i mean stupid and limited for no reason.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

This doesn't sound too bad other than the second point. Now that's just baffling.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Sounds good. I'll buy it someday when they fix all the online related multiplayer issues.

Oct 26, 2017

Well the last part will get fixed but, yeah, this is as Nintendo-like as you can get with online

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
The lack of costumes seriously dampens my excitement. So many creative uses for them in stages from the first. Was hoping this was to be expanded in the sequel, not removed. Just...wtf.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

The third and fourth points make sense, and the fifth one will eventually be patched, but the first two are baffling. In particular, the second bullet point seems like a terrible oversight - why would you allow stages that weren't designed for multiplayer in multiplayer? I thought they would've just picked stages that used the 'Multiplayer Versus' tag (although you still run the risk of people making stages that don't fit the tag).

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I'm guessing they really only cracked the code on how to make SMM2 online multiplayer work fairly late in development, seeing how none of these issues seem to be for a deliberate lack of trying. The couch multiplayer seems to be the only egregious oversight here, that seems like a decidedly unoptimal way to set up multiplayer get-togethers, and I hope they patch it.

With enough luck, the friend matchmaking update will allow you to enter random stages online or to propose custom levels.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

The first two point sound almost like dealbreaker, especially when you want to try a specific well made level with a friend. But maybe they'll adjust those things in multiplayer with friends.

karkii

Oct 25, 2017

What does download spaces mean in this context? Do you have limited space for downloaded levels?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't sound too bad other than the second point. Now that's just baffling.
I don't think there's ever going to be any real way to foolproof stages not being entirely tailor made for multiplayer. If I'm not mistaken, they confirmed in the Direct that stages can be tagged and that there are tags for stages that are designed or "work well" for multiplayer, maybe it's possible that the matchmaking prioritizes stages with those tags?

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
IGN seemed to really like the new controls

...Any concerns I had about controller-based input versus the 3DS and Wii U's touch input melted away after a short period of adjustment. I actually grew to prefer using the controller to build levels over handheld's touch input - not because touch is bad, but because using the controller is so good. There is a gentle learning curve, one that's easy to overcome, and once I got the hang of it, I couldn't go back.

Alex over at NintendoLife also liked controller controls, he thought the learning curve was steeper though, but geared toward power users.

GameXplain may be the odd man out on this one

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting that it's a significantly better game than the first one but score wise it's only 1 point above the original.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the no costumes thing and the online stuff has made this from a day one to a will wait and see.

Unfortunate.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Is there any reason at all to play Mario Maker 1 today and tomorrow? I bought it a couple months ago and have only fiddled with it briefly. Anxiously awaiting 2's release :)

Raccoon

May 31, 2019

Alex over at NintendoLife also liked controller controls, he thought the learning curve was steeper though, but geared toward power users.

GameXplain aren't power users, they're goober Nintendorks and we love them for it

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wow that game explain review was so negative haha seemed like 15 minutes of nitpicking. I guess I should've seen it coming based on their videos before, but it didn't sound like they liked the game even though they said they did.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

I'm glad most reviewers weren't complacent with Nintendo just removing the controller options in handheld. Most reviews I've seen so far call out how randomly limiting that is. Even if you don't like it, it's weird that you can't do the same thing you were just doing on the TV with the same controller

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Andre put more hours into Mario Maker than anybody so I think it's fair for him to be more critical tbh

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I honestly cancelled my preorder after getting disappointed with all the cut features from the original and the multiplayer limitations. Online, multiplayer, and story mode are great additions, but as someone who enjoyed the original, but didn't play it too much, I can wait for any updates to come out and then make a decision down the line. It's a shame 2 isn't the definitive sequel.