• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

predict the metascore

Votes: 13 1.8%
  • 95 - 99

Votes: 37 5.2%
  • 90 - 94

Votes: 286 40.5%
  • 85 - 89

Votes: 286 40.5%
  • 80 - 84

Votes: 70 9.9%
  • 75-79

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • under 75

Votes: 8 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I haven't followed the latest news, but did Nintendo address the issues related to playing online with friends? No online with friends could really bring down the metascore, no?

Salamiaddict

May 15, 2018
Northern Germany

But something along the lines of:

"Having to make the initial choice between the 'Classic / NSMB' and '3D World' toolset makes the game feel needlessly disjointed and severely limits ones creativity further down the course-making process"

also:

"I never thought i'd be wishing for a resistive (as opposed to capacitive) touch screen on my 2018 console, but here i am"

Sounds about right.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I think it'll review worse than the original. Haven't played the first, but it seems like there's quite a few things that have regressed.

Can't wait to play anyway, looks fun.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I've gone with 90 to 94 and I think it'll come in at the lower end of that. I'm being optimistic, though - it seems like there's a lot of clear improvements over the original and Nintendo EPD are on a roll right now, so I think that'll be reflected with a 90/91 Metacritic.

I can see why people are going for mid 80s though - online features and Nintendo are like a red rag to a bull.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Game looks amazing. Could get docked though for currently only being able to play with randoms online.

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
I see it getting docked for not being able to play with friends, and rightfully so. Even if they are patching it, you review what you get at launch (with a footnote stating they will supposedly patch it later).

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Super Mario Bros 2 is the GOTY every year so it seems only fitting that Super Mario Maker 2 takes the proverbial torch and becomes the new yearly GOTY. 11/10 confirmed.

In actuality I'm expecting like an 86-93. I can see it being dinged a bit for not being quite the revelation the first one was, but I can also see it being recieved better because the Switch makes it easier to create and play it anywhere and it fixed pretty much every issue I had with the first game. Single player mode, multiplayer online and local, slopes, includes a brand new style, more enemies, etc . . . IMO it'll easier be better than the last one. Hopefully review scores reflect that unless there's something broken in the game.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I doubt any reviews will even mention that tbh.

GX's review will, but I imagine 90% of the reviews will be people who didn't put 1,000 hours into making levels.

The biggest complaints you'll hear about in average reviews will likely be the 3d world split, how you'll be looking for an item in one style to find only exists in 3d world/the other 4. Maybe some complaints about how short story mode is/how little there is to do without paying for online.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Honestly it's not a thing that bothers me. I personally feel multiplayer shouldn't have been in this game at all.

Yeah, me too. I've had it pre ordered since it was announced and I can not wait. I know I'm going to love it, I just think that will be the thing it is criticized for. :/

It looks to be better in every way so I'm personally going for 92-94.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
It has a story mode, right?

This is what makes it interesting to me despite not liking the first game too much.
Have to wait and see what the story mode contributes to the full game.

First game quickly became irrelevant to me, with most popular levels being creative but boring auto-advance levels, and it was hard to find levels that are actually fun to play or even remotely comparable to official Mario levels. Most levels were gimmicky and not substancial enough.

It also did a poor job to teach you how to create good levels to begin with. If these issues are fixed in the new game it might be worth a buy.

It's probably worth waiting to see what the "meta game" becomes.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Big things for me are multiplayer (both vs and coop, both local and online), a light story mode, on/off blocks, 3D World style, new themes, slopes, vertical subareas....quite a lot of stuff that will allow for much more intricate levels, more fun to both build and play.

There's really a ton of new content, the only thing that disappoints me is not much of that is extra enemies.

Nice, thanks for the insight! Sounds like a decent sequel, and yeah Wii U was a console no one cared about vs Switch. See how it goes indeed.

Last edited:

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
wtf Nintendo expect us to make our own levels? That's what we're paying them for!!

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018

Going with the super pessimistic choice this time.

I just want to make multiplayer competitive platforming levels. That's all I need.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying it'll fall short of 90, so I voted 85-59. The first game got 88, this is an improved sequel with proper online additions but a few odd omissions like proper friend play (at launch), the Amiibos (one I personally don't mind but that Nintendo sites may hate) or odd controller choices (game kinda requires a stylus but it isn't included everywhere, can't play with the Joy-Cons attached, etc.). I'd say it lands similarly. Happy if I'm wrong and it does reach 90 - it's one of the rare games I have preordered because no matter what shortcuts they may or may not take, this is the most important game that I've been waiting for ever since I bought a Switch, hoping that I didn't have to find a cheap Wii U and keep it plugged just for that one (well, maybe 3D World too) game.

Saori

Avenger
Dec 12, 2018
Everything below the first games score seems very unlikely or was there something shown that would indicate it scoring lower than the first game?

Oct 28, 2017
It's a cool idea truthfully. Gives me an excuse to make sure some of my stages are 4 player friendly. Not to mention all the cool puzzle based levels that'll come if that Mario Maker 2 tournament at E3 is anything to go by.
In order for a level to be uploaded it needs to be beatable in single player. So don't expect too many levels like that.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Is there a way to follow creators? What's gamexplains name on Mario maker so I can follow the levels all of you make
All our levels are going to be wiped when the game comes out but you'll find most of our post-launch uploads with AndreGX or JonGX, you can follow creators if you see one of their stages (So just searching any of our Level ID's should lead you there)

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Everything below the first games score seems very unlikely or was there something shown that would indicate it scoring lower than the first game?
I think the main assumption is that it could score lower because the creation controls aren't as good as with the Wii U pad.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

If some of the new modes fail to live up to the hype I can see reviewers dinging them for that (story mode, online multiplayer, endless mario). We've already seen people in this thread wishing some/all of those modes hadn't been added and instead they focused on adding more stuff to the core styles, or making 3d world items cross compatible with all other styles.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I will be surprised if it scores better than the first game, but we'll see.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018

Expecting one or two 'can't believe Nintendo ported another Wii U game' from some lazy places. Overall though, i think it will be received well but 'too samey' for some.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
I think the 90-94s are a little too optimistic based on the tone of the previews. The problems are gonna be the creation controls, loss of features, and loss of the quirky charm the first one had.

Oct 28, 2017
I actually do feel they added too little to this game. I'm honestly completely shocked at how fee new enemies there are and how the cat bell is the only new power up. At the very least the propeller should have been replaced with the squirrel suit, and ideally we would have had stuff like the penguin suit, the mini mushroom and others.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I actually do feel they added too little to this game. I'm honestly completely shocked at how fee new enemies there are and how the cat bell is the only new power up. At the very least the propeller should have been replaced with the squirrel suit, and ideally we would have had stuff like the penguin suit, the mini mushroom and others.

we know that the maker suit and super ball can be unlocked as power ups