• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 15, 2018
Don't worry about it. Maybe the statistics just haven't updated correctly? I've uploaded a level earlier this morning and after an hour or two 80+ people played the level without me posting the code anywhere.
For some reason the stats didn't display correctly after waking the Switch up from sleep mode while still in the game but after closing and reopening SMM2 it showed the correct stats.
Wow that's good to know. 80 people? Now I have performance anxiety!
Seriously though, that's great to know. Thanks for the reply.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Wow that's good to know. 80 people? Now I have performance anxiety!
Seriously though, that's great to know. Thanks for the reply.
Don't sweat it. Take it easy and try to have fun with it.

The level statistics are pretty interesting. My level is super short and easy but it still only had a clear rate of 55%. Who are these people who skip or quit a level like that? ^^

I don't get what happened here
It seems you get a few incincibility frames after exiting a door and Toadette was able to go through the shell without dying while the others took a hit.
It might be a coincidence but it seems like the level creator specifically set it up like this so that the last player to enter the door has the highest chance to win. That's a pretty cool concept!

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its good to have mario maker back. Such a good fucking game. Also statistics are indeed weird. Almost every level ive played was piss easy but they have like 25% completion rates. I imagine a lot of people just move on the second they face any sort of challenge or death and dont look back. I try to make it a habit to complete someone's level.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Its good to have mario maker back. Such a good fucking game. Also statistics are indeed weird. Almost every level ive played was piss easy but they have like 25% completion rates. I imagine a lot of people just move on the second they face any sort of challenge or death and dont look back. I try to make it a habit to complete someone's level.
Were those levels in the NSMBU style? :P

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Playing through story mode, screw the good doggo final level.
Chain Chomp level
Some amazing level designs already and I'm only nine levels into the story mode, 'bout 20% done with the castle. Tried the Switch x Switch level created by the top guy right now, very clever and nice use of the switches. The level design for this game is going to be nuts after a year. I can't create worth a damn, but I'll be plenty happy with playing other peoples' levels. Game is a lot of fun so far but I had to quit else I'll be up all night, hahaha.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
I made a level, it's pretty gimmicky but if anyone wants to try it out code is: JP9-QF3-87G

It still hasn't been beaten yet, so you may be the first!

Wozzer

QA Architect at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Played through a handful posted, before I really need to head to bed. Wozzer in-game, liked and commented each!

Made my first course, please play and let me know what you think
Course ID: SF1-30C-R1G

Certainly had me need to warm up on wall jumps lol. The timing of the red/blue block switching had me a little there.

Made a quickie:
81P-N39-6MF

Not too hard but some slightly assholeish jumps

Really like short and sweet moderate challenge clean jumps levels. Could be good to telegraph where to jump with coins or arrows given it's a fast scroll often off screen.

I made a pretty easy intro level just to try out the updated editor. VG7-DWJ-1RF

Looking forward to spending the weekend making more levels and diving into the community's creations.

Cool simple level reminiscent of what you'd get from a typical Nintendo warm up level

I made a level. It's not great or anything, but eh. I wanted to mess around with the rising water feature.
GVG-TSK-B3G

Underwater levels will forever be my bane, but grats on being my first for MM2 :D. I liked the reverse interior segment.

Mar 9, 2018
Ugh. I shouldn't be awake. But I tried to have fun with this...and I just couldn't think of anything to make. All those vague desires when watching the pre-release content didn't amount to anything, figure. I guess I need to play more levels. The online was fine in terms of connection for me. I just had a lot of sucky levels.

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
My first level is a recreation of 7-1 from Mario 3, using 3d world clear pipes :)
HlmUt9T.jpg

685-J47-8VF

Last edited:

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Is there any consensus yet on how good the maker part will be without they stylus and touch screen of the WiiU. Can it even reach the hieghts of that input method?

Wozzer

QA Architect at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I made a level, it's pretty gimmicky but if anyone wants to try it out code is: JP9-QF3-87G

It still hasn't been beaten yet, so you may be the first!

Couldn't help myself, stayed up in order to get that first clear! Enjoyed the creativity of racing against the thwomp. The arrow half way through the internal segment threw me as it felt to indicate I had to go up and left. Other than that it was clear and a nice challenge.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Made my first course. Pretty straight forward but took me about an hour to figure out how to use the tools and make the level. Had a lot of fun!

8RX-827-R1G

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Oh man, it's so "Nintendo" that we have to choose a map and download it for being able to play it with 2 player locally.
Why can't I simply join the random matchmaking with 2 players? I like the idea of having a mode that gives me a map randomly, specially for 2 players, but this is so laborious again, it puzzles me how Nintendo can't get away from flaws like this.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Course maker is almost unplayable docked, but it's extremely intuitive and fun in handheld with a decent stylus. Took me about half an hour of acclimation.

But yeah, seriously hope they consider offering a secondary or customisable docked control scheme, yeeesh.

Otherwise, damn this is so good. Meanwhile, I forgot how long it takes to build a decent and interesting level lol

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
JFP-B9L-DGF Carl's playing this level on stream, super cool 3D World stage with cool tech in there (bit hard)

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Can people link together created levels? Would love to see one of the old Mario games remade in the 3D World style.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was so excited for MM2 I ended up sleeping like 3 hours before waking up at 2 am. Started making my level right away, called Tight Lava Run. Basically lava rises fast and you have to move quickly up in tight terrain. I aimed for Super Expert difficulty but not kaizo. I realized I needed to clear it from start to finish to upload and it took some time, hah. It's not so bad with checkpoints though.

Feel free to try it, I'll be going through levels posted here in a bit. Q6J-4L3-MXF

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
The don't leave the ground stages in story mode are insane, damn it's so hard to just not instinctively jump! On one of them I got to the flag at the end (SMW) and I jumped like a moron to hit it. Thankfully somehow it was still fine.

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
My copy is staring at me while I "work" from home. Not sure how long I'll be able to resist.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
This might be a dumb question.. but how do I start a new empty level? Am I meant to just delete the prepopulated stage that it gives me?

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Spent a few hours messing around and made a desert level with a fun (?) boss fight:

Journey to Dry Bones Temple
X5L-QXW-34G

Didn't realize SMW deserts would have choco island ground! Now I wish we could place the little fire-breathing rhinos. Game is a blast so far; gonna take a while to get a feel for everything.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
The don't leave the ground stages in story mode are insane, damn it's so hard to just not instinctively jump! On one of them I got to the flag at the end (SMW) and I jumped like a moron to hit it. Thankfully somehow it was still fine.

I think the requirement isn't that you can't jump, but that you can't land after jumping. In other words, jumping to hit the flag pole should be okay. Theoretically.

This objective can be used for "fun" things like a level where you have to fly with the cape and get to the end without ever touching the ground.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So you get a nice amount of 32 upload slots right at the start, just enough for 8 "worlds" with 4 levels each. I like it.

Can you still increase this upload limit when you earn medals or such? I was actually hoping for 40 slots to work with, lol.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My copy is staring at me while I "work" from home. Not sure how long I'll be able to resist.
aye i'm sitting here waiting for USPS to deliver the goods and it's torture. the work you do in the meantime will be subpar because you're hella distracted. just do it dawgg

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
Man great game. Already got a level that's tough but fair that I'm going to dig into tomorrow. I'm gonna love this game.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Am I the only one who's really bummed out about the fact that you can't bundle together levels as a world/game? Even the fact that they switched to endless is disappointing because 100 Mario challenge had a goal you were working toward. I guess you can set your own goal for yourself in endless, but it isn't really the same thing.

I hope that future updates add some new modes/game features, and not just level assets and event courses.

ferunnico

Oct 29, 2017
Just finished my first level:

Buzzy Caverns
GJM-V0J-LNG

It's a short, simple and traditional SMB3 level. Nothing too crazy, but it was fun to figure out when exactly enemies spawn off-screen and how to anticipate and manipulate the player's flow and timing.

I don't know how many levels have been posted here so far, but I'll try to go back and play and comment on as many as possible!

Seiniyta

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually pleasantly surprised how well the editor works in docked mode. With how GameXplain described it I thought it would be a total pain in the ass. But it's actually really well done. All the buttons seem where they should be, I feel like once you get used to the buttons you can build with it quite efficiently. In some respects I prefer it to handheld because in handheld (as a lefty) I keep pressing buttons by accident or starting the level unintentionally.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
The lack of being able to turn toggle options into hold in the editor is very annoying. Hopefully they give you the option in an update.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you can't solve a condition, like don't jump, they game should just kill you. How you have manuelly restart the level ...

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
All you guys with great finished stages already and I'm sitting here, having the game for 2 days already, unable to finish even one because of working time and a kinda blockade whenever I'm in the editor. :D