• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Need your HALP, folks!

My VS. level (3KM-DJ8-XNG) has a record time of 21 seconds and change and I can't for the life of me figure out how he/she did it! I must be missing a huge shortcut! Can any of you find it? Much appreciated!

So the biggest issue I'm having matching this time or beating it is getting in the red pipe before the lava covers it up. So far I've not been even able to go down that pipe(whether i go down the donuts, small mario run around the side, or cat mario go through the clear tube)

The only thing I can think of is someone got really lucky with getting into that pipe?

Getting a cat mario and getting a key and getting to that pipe are pretty doable in about 15 seconds. My thinking mainly came down to it has to be that red pipe because the long clear pipe to go to the end takes too long even if you can get to the pipe fast. So it has to be that red pipe in some way but I seemingly can't get in that pipe before lava makes it not possible. I can get on the pipe and it look like I can go down it, but it doesn't register as me going down it when the lava gets to a certain level.

I could just be missing the possibility of getting in there and it being a really tight fit, but that's the only way I can think of.

Before that though it's pretty easy to go to the second to top clear pipe then either to the spring -> flamebro room(grab the bell and kill bro at same time), or go to the room with the goombas for the key. Either one of those rooms are pretty quick and easy and have to be the first half of that record.

I would say there likely isn't cheese here, someone just got really lucky with a route and lava timing. I'm going to keep looking for cheese though as I was mostly trying to match the time at first.

Right after posting this I got the lava timer twice with the cat mario through the clear block method. Still could only get about 10s within the timer. hmmm

Last edited:

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Its unforgiving? I felt like it was too easy if anything! Which part did you have trouble with? Also which part can you skip?? :O
Just set the switch to blue at the beginning and run to the pipe.

And if the bom omb blows up, or you pop the trampoline out of existence, you have to die to reset it. It's not hard exactly, but it's going to be harder for everyone on first try when still feeling out the timing.

Using a pipe that generates stuff that might die or despawn would make figuring out the timing less frustrating, at least for me. Or maybe I just suck and others want the all or nothing challenge. Just relaying what I thought.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
It frustrates me so much that it's not possible to make playlists in this game. As much as I'm enjoying the levels people are making, I feel like the UX is such an uphill struggle.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
"Freezeflame Follies" by QuixoticNeutral is MakerEra's second Course of the Week winner!

jY3JgKu.png
I got as far as the floating shell and just had to give up because I couldn't find anyyhing to do. I notice now that this stage has a 7% clear rating. Definitely a bumpy time with this one, which is odd because I prefer the puzzle stages.

Oct 29, 2017
Shameless repost of my first level Fungal Fortress from a few pages ago. Would love to get more feedback to see what I can improve as I tackle my next level!

I tried to make a more or less "standard" themed Mario stage (Mushroom Platforms) focused mainly on platforming and exploration that was doable but challenging (I'd personally say "Expert" or I'd place it in a World 6 or 7 out of 8 Worlds in terms of difficulty, but I'd love your thoughts/feedback on this). There are 4 hidden Red Coins that are optional and unlock a bonus area if you can find the location of the secret locked door, very light puzzle elements, as well as various secrets/some areas with multiple paths to encourage exploration and replay-ability. It ended up being pretty long but I think my spacing out of the checkpoints is reasonable. Ideally played solo and not in co-op.

btZhgnA.jpg

Fungal Fortress Gallery

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I managed to clear every jump first try, running the whole way till that one with the ground blocks above each other :\ Ran out of time and hand cramped up and fell all the way down a bunch lol.
I got to the same point and gave up after four tries at the stacked ground blocks. The 'fall all the way down' part of this level is very tedious. Shame, because the atmosphere and some of the layouts were nice.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Finally managed to release a new level, phew... I hadn't neither time nor ideas lately...
Latest level is "Mario and the beanstalk" and it's probably what you expect when reading this name.
Code is N59-4GR-R9G

Not too difficult, it's more about the journey than the performance lol

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
So the biggest issue I'm having matching this time or beating it is getting in the red pipe before the lava covers it up. So far I've not been even able to go down that pipe(whether i go down the donuts, small mario run around the side, or cat mario go through the clear tube)

The only thing I can think of is someone got really lucky with getting into that pipe?

Getting a cat mario and getting a key and getting to that pipe are pretty doable in about 15 seconds. My thinking mainly came down to it has to be that red pipe because the long clear pipe to go to the end takes too long even if you can get to the pipe fast. So it has to be that red pipe in some way but I seemingly can't get in that pipe before lava makes it not possible. I can get on the pipe and it look like I can go down it, but it doesn't register as me going down it when the lava gets to a certain level.

I could just be missing the possibility of getting in there and it being a really tight fit, but that's the only way I can think of.

Before that though it's pretty easy to go to the second to top clear pipe then either to the spring -> flamebro room(grab the bell and kill bro at same time), or go to the room with the goombas for the key. Either one of those rooms are pretty quick and easy and have to be the first half of that record.

I would say there likely isn't cheese here, someone just got really lucky with a route and lava timing. I'm going to keep looking for cheese though as I was mostly trying to match the time at first.

Right after posting this I got the lava timer twice with the cat mario through the clear block method. Still could only get about 10s within the timer. hmmm

Thanks for this, much appreciated! Yeah, I did figure she did the shortest challenges and used a key, and long jumped over the non-conveyer bit at the end... but still! I actually commented on one of her courses asking him/her how she did it. Hope she sees it. :)

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
All Aboard the POW Train

Code: S5V-HPX-BQG

I liked working with this concept a lot. It's kind of a retread of a section I made in SMM1, but expanded into a fully-fledged level.

Not gonna lie, this is my hardest level yet. Requires some difficult platforming and a bit of tricky POW block management. In the final set-piece, you ride a train of six POW blocks on a track. By the end, there should only be one POW left on the track... sooooooo, good luck!

I was generous with checkpoints, and put a door on the last sequence in case of a retry, so I hope it's not too punishing.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Hey guys special request, my 8 yo got this game for his birthday on Saturday and made a couple of levels. Can you give him a confidence boost by playing them (literally only takes 7-8 seconds) and leaving a comment or dropping a photo (Nice!) or something? I'd appreciate it and he would find that would be awesome!.

His screen name is dabdia

GOJ-DLP-OXF
J7M-LKL-QXF

My 8 year old would love you guys to try out his first two courses!

Just a bit of a bump who has been playing afternoon. These courses literally take 7-8 seconds. If you guys could help me out by playing it and liking it and leaving a stamp or message? He's super excited

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Return To Giant Land!
Course ID: D78-VVW-JGF

22GJFLN.jpg

One of my most favourite worlds from Mario 3 (and probably all of Mario) is Giant Land! So I made a level set in it. :D There are the usual 3 giant coins to find and also red coins and some bosses to fight which are all optional if you want to explore around!

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
Done and done. They were actually pretty fun and the claw level was even challenging but fair with the Bowser fire.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Running As Fast As We Can
ID: 09D-LXS-02G

My first speed run try and I think I might prefer this genre to a more standard level. I want to try to make more complex ones down the line, for this it was just more element timing practice.

Oct 25, 2017
Return To Giant Land!
Course ID: D78-VVW-JGF

One of my most favourite worlds from Mario 3 (and probably all of Mario) is Giant Land! So I made a level set in it. :D There are the usual 3 giant coins to find and also red coins and some bosses to fight which are all optional if you want to explore around!

Neat! I went through the boss route and enjoyed it.

All Aboard the POW Train

Code: S5V-HPX-BQG

I liked working with this concept a lot. It's kind of a retread of a section I made in SMM1, but expanded into a fully-fledged level.

Not gonna lie, this is my hardest level yet. Requires some difficult platforming and a bit of tricky POW block management. In the final set-piece, you ride a train of six POW blocks on a track. By the end, there should only be one POW left on the track... sooooooo, good luck!

I was generous with checkpoints, and put a door on the last sequence in case of a retry, so I hope it's not too punishing.

I liked how you had to disassemble the "train" at the end Nice!

I fixed an issue where you could skip the whole first section of my level :\

Reuploaded! Please let me know what you think :)

PS: Thanks to thepotatoman for figuring out the skip!

I love the star run at the end! That's a fun concept well executed.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
I managed to clear every jump first try, running the whole way till that one with the ground blocks above each other :\ Ran out of time and hand cramped up and fell all the way down a bunch lol.
This was some good fun. I do think I found an ( intentional?) skip and missed a lot of the level but I enjoyed the boss fight. Wasn't too sure about the secrets hidden above the bosses though, since you need a feather but then one of the item boxes up there gives you another feather.
Just a bit of a bump who has been playing afternoon. These courses literally take 7-8 seconds. If you guys could help me out by playing it and liking it and leaving a stamp or message? He's super excited
This level was a test of my spirit. But I eventually got through and conquered it. Great, challenging but fair platforming. Thank you for giving me that feeling.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I'm addicted to this game. Have stopped doing endless runs and just playing new courses to give new creators some love and likes.

It's too bad there is no live updating of the list but i found a solution by pressing more info and you can see if a stage had been played in the mean time

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
This was some good fun. I do think I found an ( intentional?) skip and missed a lot of the level but I enjoyed the boss fight. Wasn't too sure about the secrets hidden above the bosses though, since you need a feather but then one of the item boxes up there gives you another feather.

This level was a test of my spirit. But I eventually got through and conquered it. Great, challenging but fair platforming. Thank you for giving me that feeling.

Thank you!

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
So I'd love some more feedback on a narritive level of mine I made a few days. It's called The Koopas: A Tale Of Greed.

Code is 794-9PQ-QVG

Idea is, Bowser and you have moved into the small mining town of Koopa Kliffs. You aren't enemies anymore, just neighbors. You work for the mines, but an accident reveals a dark secret about the town...

The good ending is QUITE difficult to get here, as it involves some difficult platforming using obscure mechanics like short hop run bounces, damage boosts, and Giant Mario platforming. In fact, I only know of 2 people that have gotten the good ending (one of them being our own QuixoticNeutral ) However, the bad ending is much simplier (though activated in a weird way). In the bad ending, the only way you can lose is if you run out of time. I apologize if the last puzzle for the bad ending is a bit obtuse, lot of folks seem to get stuck on it!
I really enjoyed this. The backtracking was a lot of fun and the switch to the bad ending after the checkpoint was really clever. I'm not sure I got the story, but I had a good time playing it and moving through the different scenes.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
"Freezeflame Follies" by QuixoticNeutral is MakerEra's second Course of the Week winner!

jY3JgKu.png

You can submit a course for the next Course of the Week contest until Friday, July 26th at 6 p.m. ET.
Head to the #cotw-submissions channel on our Discord server to submit your course.
Only courses that have been uploaded after Friday, July 19th at 6 p.m. ET will be accepted!

Heh, as soon as I started this up I was so enchanted by the aesthetics that I walked directly into the first spiny shell.

My only feedback would be that the last clown car encounter (say that five times fast) felt more like a nuisance than an interesting or compelling challenge. The puzzle was good but working it out while constantly being boinked around by the clown car was... annoying. The payoff at the end of the encounter was great, though!

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
Finally published a level I've been working on for a long time, I'd love to get some feedback! It's called "Journey to the Earth's Core" and the premise is just that; you start on the surface and work your way down to the center of the Earth.

I always start building levels with good intentions, just going for a nice traditional style level, but sometimes the sadistic Super Meat Boy fan in me comes out a little too much, haha.

Journey to the Earth's Core: MYW-MX7-FBG

Still waiting for the first clear!
Good level. I especially enjoyed the section where you run through the maze as the saws close in on you. Great use of verticality to make it feel like you were descending.

I returned to the SMB forest and made a new level. First time I played with the night theme and I used semi-solid and sound filter trickery to get rid of the "night" per se. Pretty happy with this one. This level is very speedrun friendly, but there are also two secret coins hiding somewhere.
This forest is full of piranha plants, but luckily you've got your fire flower, so nothing can go wrong, right?

Great work as always. Aesthetics were top notch (especially the rain effect), challenge was fun but not hard, and backing through the area was very cool.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
I DARE you to challenge

The Crag

3W6-7G6-5RF

Few adventurers challenge the mountain. Fewer reach the peak. Can you?

In this level nothing can kill the player - except the timer (500s).

Climb.
Just beat it after falling down from the top right ice blocks. It is one of these annoying levels that seems at first much easier than it actually is. Very well designed overall and great platforming! Short, sweet and infuriating :)

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shameless repost of my first level Fungal Fortress from a few pages ago. Would love to get more feedback to see what I can improve as I tackle my next level!

I tried to make a more or less "standard" themed Mario stage (Mushroom Platforms) focused mainly on platforming and exploration that was doable but challenging (I'd personally say "Expert" or I'd place it in a World 6 or 7 out of 8 Worlds in terms of difficulty, but I'd love your thoughts/feedback on this). There are 4 hidden Red Coins that are optional and unlock a bonus area if you can find the location of the secret locked door, very light puzzle elements, as well as various secrets/some areas with multiple paths to encourage exploration and replay-ability. It ended up being pretty long but I think my spacing out of the checkpoints is reasonable. Ideally played solo and not in co-op.

btZhgnA.jpg

Fungal Fortress Gallery

I never found all 4 key coins.
Seems like a lot of paths go nowhere.

It looks really nice but one key coin I ended up using the goomba to kick up to it. It's the one where there is a p block under it that I'm sure you use. I couldn't figure it out so I just carried the one that was over a couple of screens and kicked him up.

The boss battle is also a little chaotic. You can make it hard there just needs to be a rhythm to the madness and not just over load.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
this is taking me a while but i'm finally almost done with my first level in years. trying to be creative after so much dullness in life was the real struggle, but getting back into that groove was a lot of fun.

Oct 25, 2017
This happens about once a week:

Me: Let's make a level based on the car! Yay what a great idea!

Me ten minutes later: Riiiiiiight...the car suuuuuuucks.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Me: Let's make a nice platforming level, with enemies and jumps and stuff!

Me ten minutes later: Riiiiiight... I made another Ghost House.
Me: Let's make a standard traditional Mario level where you start on the left and the goal is on the right.

Me ten minutes lates: So after reaching the top of this level you have to get that powerup and fall through the whole level again to reach a secret chamber.

Great work as always. Aesthetics were top notch (especially the rain effect), challenge was fun but not hard, and backing through the area was very cool.
Thank you very much! :)

dred

Oct 27, 2017
I finished a new level last night. This time I decided to follow my heart and not worry about traditional Mario level design, haha. I love platformers that focus on smooth, flowing movement and precision platforming so I made a fairly fast-paced auto-scrolling level that focuses on wall jumps. No power-ups or checkpoints so it's straight to the point but I don't think it's too difficult to the point of being unfair or frustrating (unless you just hate wall jumping). I like trying to make levels I can play many times over and always have fun and I think I accomplished that with this one. Hope you guys enjoy it!

Sky Top Slide 'n Pop - V68-00N-2FF

Jan 31, 2019
Please check out my level:

B2J-WQF-XWG : Clear Pipe Shuffle

An enjoyable traditional level in the 3D world style, with a few nifty mechanics. Light on difficulty but heavy on enjoyable play and rewarding antics.

Oct 29, 2017
I never found all 4 key coins. Seems like a lot of paths go nowhere.
Which coins did you end up getting? There's one hidden near the starting area of the stage that I'm assuming most people will miss. Can you explain what paths went nowhere for you? There are a few variations in the paths in certain areas but they all eventually converge, or are pretty quickly a dead end with a reward and/or lead to a pipe that then converges after a transition.

It looks really nice but one key coin I ended up using the goomba to kick up to it. It's the one where there is a p block under it that I'm sure you use. I couldn't figure it out so I just carried the one that was over a couple of screens and kicked him up.
The first P-Block that you come across after acquiring the cape (Before the 3 inverted Piranha Plants) exposes the red coin. After you enter the lower spike-chamber, you can immediately jump on the head of the Magikoopa positioned on the mushroom platform and float to the left ledge by gliding with the Cape. I always knew someone could cheese this by getting a shell or something to toss up which is why I removed a nearby Koopa, but didn't expect people to traverse several screens ahead to get a Galoomba and then backtrack. xD

The 2nd P-Block, while can be used to attempt to get the Red Coin again if you mess up the first time, was meant to continue the P-state so that the player has a chance to potentially get the Vine-Block to the right. I know it isn't spelled out but I didn't want players punished for "wasting" the first P-Block to get the Red Coin and then being locked out from reaching the optional Vine-Block area which also needs the P-State to reach. I definitely should have put a right arrow near that P-Block or something in hindsight or changed this part up a bit to not require the P-Block to get to the Vine. A part of me wants to delete and reupload with this change but I think I'm going to just keep it as is to not squander the plays it has already gotten. (Not that it has that many)

The boss battle is also a little chaotic. You can make it hard there just needs to be a rhythm to the madness and not just over load.
I realize this is a pretty chaotic boss fight. You only technically need to kill Bowser Jr. if you want to get the "best" score ending by getting a high flag score/the 30 coin near the goal (you can speed run it by going up and over, probably best if you have a Fire Flower to clear a path). Also, I understand it isn't obvious at first but you can certainly get into a rythym of attack/defense by utilizing the generous amounts of Fire Flowers in the main bottom area. The Galoombas can also be used to throw into Bowser Jr./against the Hammer Bros. Another little thing is that part of the reward for getting all 4 coins is meant to help make that fight easier. ;)

Thanks a ton for playing and for taking the time to share your feedback. :D Hopefully I didn't seem too defensive, just wanted to at least explain my thought process and intentions, and to make sure it's clear that the 4 Red Coins were meant to be challenging to find/get which is why I made them optional. I don't expect many people to take the time and effort to get them all I just really enjoy secrets and bonus things in levels.

Last edited:

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Random question - is there any way to go beyond the 32 upload limit? My Bowser Bucket level might have to go offline in order to make room for the last few Mario Country levels I'm making

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
This game's story mode is some of the best Mario content since Galaxy. Probably my favourite platformer on Switch after Tropical Freeze and Celeste. NSMB Deluxe was boring in comparison and Odyssey had no platforming.

It's really good and having played through it, I can see a lot of user-generated levels that I thought were cool, have been influenced by the single player levels. They came up with a lot of good original ideas.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is it worth it to take a level down to fix it and then re-upload it? Or should I just let it ride?

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
It's nothing major....I've just seen some things that annoy me from seeing people play it.

I have a new level I'm excited to show off here, but I want to tweak it a bit more first.
I played Zero Escape yesterday. Couldn't beat it yet, haha. I reached the top per se (and even found something along the way), but couldn't escape the pillar.
But you found someone who was able to beat it tho.

Last edited:

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I played Zero Escape yesterday. Couldn't beat it yet, haha. I reached the top per se (and even found something along the way), but couldn't escape the pillar.
But you found someone who was able to beat it tho.

That's the one. Consider that a preview, I'm going to remove some jank, add sound effects, fix one section, etc. I will re-upload later.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Downside-Up!

S71-JXX-5JG

I almost broke my brain making this. The layout may look fairly simple, but making two identical but vertically inverted sub-worlds turned out to be anything but, nevermind trying to get some puzzle logic going on as well. I think this probably took longer to make than anything else I've done. There's some light platforming involved, but this is mainly a puzzle level.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
Hey all, I'm going to play around with streaming Mario Maker for a bit by playing some Resetera levels posted in this thread. If anyone wants to hang out or throw a level at me, feel free. I won't be on long, just kind of want to see how it all works. https://www.twitch.tv/ragingbegal

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's the one. Consider that a preview, I'm going to remove some jank, add sound effects, fix one section, etc. I will re-upload later.

OK.

It is finally, FINALLY, really ready this time.

I PROUDLY PRESENT:

Zero Escape - Djed Pillar

BL2-6PP-Y5G

"The tree of knowledge leads to the Eye of Horus. Leap through its curse."

Tags: Puzzle-Solving, Themed

This is a climbing level with a puzzle. I hope someone can beat it. I've given you the tools needed. Let's see what happens.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
OK.

It is finally, FINALLY, really ready this time.

I PROUDLY PRESENT:

Zero Escape - Djed Pillar

BL2-6PP-Y5G

"The tree of knowledge leads to the Eye of Horus. Leap through its curse."

Tags: Puzzle-Solving, Themed

This is a climbing level with a puzzle. I hope someone can beat it. I've given you the tools needed. Let's see what happens.
I got to the last jump and I hate you.

Lobster

Jul 23, 2019
Hello! I'm new to ResetEra but I've been playing Mario Maker since launch. I have a lot of levels but the two I really want people to look at are my two newest. The first is just a standard level but I put a lot of time into it:

Topsy-Turvy Caves: JTL-C0J-8DF

The second is a music level and I spent about 20 hours learning how music levels worked, what the various notes were on the grid, finding the sheet music, correcting the tempo, getting it to play itself, experimenting with the various instruments, etc. It was really, really hard and I have a lot of newfound respect for people who do this all the time. I know music levels aren't everybody's thing but if they're yours or you just want to see what all my learning and work produced, check it out!

Frozen - Let It Go: N97-2BC-0FG

Jan 31, 2019
Would super appreciate if a few folks from era gave my level a whirl. I feel it is my best work so far but it has received very few plays. Please do take a look if you have time:

B2J-WQF-XWG
3D World Clear Pipe Shuffle

It's an enjoyable traditional style romp that is light on challenge but heavy on classic fun.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Server maintenance in 1 hour, ladies and gentlemen.
Get creative in Edit Mode, download your favorite Kaizo Level or...play a different game.