• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
Made my first level ( "Plumber's Wage" 20F-73L-68G ), but I decided to make a slightly non-traditional course. It's one where you need to collect 50 coins to pass (but there are more than enough coins if you look around, totalling 104). It's fairly short and easy, as my intention was to test the tools and to try an 'theme' a level as much as possible.

Unless a course is super hard and/or super unique, it goes by the wayside, so I wanted to post it here and get some feedback. I'm interested if anyone can find all 5 big coins, or if it's too hard to find.

7wba26B.jpg

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
EACnjFeUwAArV8a

First course I've made in 10 days. It's pretty short, and it basically just serves as an illustration of seasonal depression which I've been hit hard with recently. Feel free to give it a shot if you'd like an easy clear. I'd like to make a more normal course next but to be candid it's been difficult to even get around to doing that, so we'll see lol.

Summer Bummer
VG0-0PH-1JG

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I DARE you to challenge

The Crag

3W6-7G6-5RF

Few adventurers challenge the mountain. Fewer reach the peak. Can you?

In this level nothing can kill the player - except the timer (500s).

Climb.
I managed to clear every jump first try, running the whole way till that one with the ground blocks above each other :\ Ran out of time and hand cramped up and fell all the way down a bunch lol.

Oct 25, 2017
EAC7fBCVAAEG5RP.jpg

New and improved! Go deeper and deeper into a twisted take on World 1-1. Now with feedback from Era, you get checkpoints, the full 500 seconds, no more getting trapped in spikes, and I found and cleared a couple of softlocks as well. The third zone also now has a different exit I personally like better.

Thanks for the feedback to everyone who tried my previous level earlier!

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I've been working on this snow level for over a week and I can't find any inspiration for it. It's serviceable but it just lacks something I felt while making my other levels. I may need to just go outside my comfort zone and do something I have never done to shake the rust.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I managed to clear every jump first try, running the whole way till that one with the ground blocks above each other :\ Ran out of time and hand cramped up and fell all the way down a bunch lol.

Sounds like it's working as designed, lol. Yeah that one is tough, there's two way to deal with the 3 stack. Jump at the VERY tip, or jump a block earlier.

sigmaxchange

Banned
May 9, 2018
Orlando, FL
Completed a few new levels this weekend! Feedback is appreciated. Included my Maker ID in case you're interested in more!

Piranha Outta Ideas! | 0YN-52S-58G

Boos in Boots | RPX-N12-FLF

Flexy Rexy's Maker ID | FNH-5YM-2VG

Oct 25, 2017
Made my first level ( "Plumber's Wage" 20F-73L-68G ), but I decided to make a slightly non-traditional course. It's one where you need to collect 50 coins to pass (but there are more than enough coins if you look around, totalling 104). It's fairly short and easy, as my intention was to test the tools and to try an 'theme' a level as much as possible.

Unless a course is super hard and/or super unique, it goes by the wayside, so I wanted to post it here and get some feedback. I'm interested if anyone can find all 5 big coins, or if it's too hard to find.

7wba26B.jpg

I love the aesthetic of this level style, and your level is visually stunning. Big fan. You left me wanting more.

I re-made 1-3 from the original Super Mario Bros. but added a fun nostalgic twist at the end if anyone wants to check it out. 1-1 and 1-2 always get all the love, so I thought I'd do a more uncommon one.

N57-7X3-41G

I should have seen that coming lol. Love the way you did that boss encounter without having access to what you really wanted.

Core Zero

Oct 25, 2017

7wba26B.jpg

Very solid short level, with a good use of the clear condition to give some reason for exploration without being overly long or punishing. I did find all 104 coins and I didn't think it was too difficult to do so. I like the "Pipe Land" look and it works great in Mario 3 so I appreciate that here. Solid exploration and speedrun level, would be happy to see more like it!

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
I love the aesthetic of this level style, and your level is visually stunning. Big fan. You left me wanting more.
Very solid short level, with a good use of the clear condition to give some reason for exploration without being overly long or punishing. I did find all 104 coins and I didn't think it was too difficult to do so. I like the "Pipe Land" look and it works great in Mario 3 so I appreciate that here. Solid exploration and speedrun level, would be happy to see more like it!
Hey, thanks for the feedback.

I was wondering when making it if people would notice the minor additional detailing of the environment, or if 3 out of the 5 big coins would be too hard to find (since you'd have to travel the whole map to get it). User testing is always nerve-racking, so i'm glad you guys enjoyed it.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I ended up making 2 more Super Mario World levels today.

Remote Goomba Detonation - LNT-DG1-HGG

You need to know how to do a bomb ladder to complete this. I was still hungover this morning so this level maybe has a troll or 2 in it. Small cheese possible, i'll let ya'll figure that out. Don't be afraid to kill your yoshi

Flystar - JY2-6XK-QXF

This one is all about stuff with the cape. Should be mostly self explanatory. I tried to make sure to put tons of notations and sound effects to let you know if you're doing it right. Z means you should spin jump.

alvmew

Nov 12, 2017
Burned away the weekend working on my second-ever level, and would love some feedback!

Conquer the Boss Blitz Tower!
Course ID: V47-LRC-3NF

I love boss rushes, so I created a level in the 3D World style where nine such challenges await you inside of a giant tower - definitely not easy but not hard to learn either.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
My two least favorite mechanics are snake blocks and going up through spinning blocks. So congrats for making a level based on those mechanics that I didn't hate! :)
I learned two things about spike tops in this level. They have eyes which have somehow evaded my watchful gaze for my entire life and you can do a regular jump on them when they round corners in rare situations where their belly is exposed (and if you do this with a spin jump they poof away)
Thanks for the feedback, I too don't particularly enjoy the random snake blocks you come across in endless mode as well as Spike Tops and spinning blocks, so I'm glad I did them some justice. And yes it was a reminder to me too that Spike Tops are not invincible to normal Mario!

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I made a 4 course world; "Mario 2.5D World"! (Adding "Super" made the titles too long...)

It's for those who want something of a progression going on, and not just individual levels. I tried to make them easy, but the average is around 10% clearing rate. So, I suppose they're still on the challenging side, somehow...

Anyway, if anyone has comments or suggestions, I'm all ears!
Omsfwcx.jpg

Burned away the weekend working on my second-ever level, and would love some feedback!

Conquer the Boss Blitz Tower!
Course ID: V47-LRC-3NF

I love boss rushes, so I created a level in the 3D World style where nine such challenges await you inside of a giant tower - definitely not easy but not hard to learn either.
I generally liked it, but the second room is just way too messy for my tastes. :D Can that be called a boss fight even? Also the ending was a bit slow, having to wait for flying cat bowser to actually come and fight...

The rest was fun!

Last edited:

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
EAC7fBCVAAEG5RP.jpg

New and improved! Go deeper and deeper into a twisted take on World 1-1. Now with feedback from Era, you get checkpoints, the full 500 seconds, no more getting trapped in spikes, and I found and cleared a couple of softlocks as well. The third zone also now has a different exit I personally like better.

Finished it this time. Had a much better time figuring out the underground puzzle with the extra time allowed. Really fun level!

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
How do I place a gonna shoe in super Mario world land? I can't seem to find it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
EAC7fBCVAAEG5RP.jpg

This is so good! What a fascinating idea.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Is this game worth picking up only for the singplayer? (story mode)
I'm not interested in building stuff. But I might try some creations.

Oct 25, 2017

If you have Nintendo Online, you will absolutely get your money's worth out of story mode and playing the levels that bubble up to the top of popular and the stuff recommended here in ERA. You don't have to create to get your money's worth. But if you don't have Nintendo Online, and you only play the story, I personally wouldn't spend $60 on it.

This is so good! What a fascinating idea.

Thanks!

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game's story mode is some of the best Mario content since Galaxy. Probably my favourite platformer on Switch after Tropical Freeze and Celeste. NSMB Deluxe was boring in comparison and Odyssey had no platforming.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
Need your HALP, folks!

My VS. level (3KM-DJ8-XNG) has a record time of 21 seconds and change and I can't for the life of me figure out how he/she did it! I must be missing a huge shortcut! Can any of you find it? Much appreciated!

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
Just rooting round Course World and found Space Invaders and Bumper Cars games in the top 20 popular - really clever!

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018

I mean it's about 120 or so Nintendo created Mario levels. That's more then you got in Super Mario World. I would say yes. Added Online so you can play top created levels makes it SSS tier

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
EAEnnXUUIAACTtw

My latest puzzle level :)
Pretty simple but I think theres some neat ideas and pretty generous checkpoints.
Hope you guys like it!
I'm not really a fan of how unforgiving it is for the type of level it is. Also weird that the first section is so easily skipped.

Need your HALP, folks!

My VS. level (3KM-DJ8-XNG) has a record time of 21 seconds and change and I can't for the life of me figure out how he/she did it! I must be missing a huge shortcut! Can any of you find it? Much appreciated!
I can't find one.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Need your HALP, folks!

Sometimes, in VS, players throw one another / rebound off of one another, thus making jumps that are impossible solo. Maybe your level can be broken this way?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Looking for some 'easyish' levels for my son and I. We just got the game yesterday, so looking for some easy levels to get us going in courseworld!

Thanks!

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Just giving this one a bump!
Switchblock Palace

KDT-Q6W-PWF

Finally got around to finish another level, this ones a bit different to my last few. I wanted to get making a level with switch blocks out of my system, so it focuses a lot more on mechanics than looks. Basically it's a series of mini-challenges based around hitting switches with shells, but the targets are always nice and big, and there's a safety system so the shells can't bounce back and hurt you.
Since I first posted this I watched a streamer play it, and there's a couple of bits that can be cheesed, but I guess that just makes it speedrun friendly ;)

Just wanna chime in and say that perhaps the speedrun tag is a tad misleading. Someone sees the level is about switches and has a speedrun tag, thinks it's another one like "Celestial Speedrun" and the like.

Also found out that you can get stuck on vertically placed switched blocks (the ones used to cover Switches) at a couple of spots. I don't mean the one you can just as easily jump out of. You get stuck in one of those, you seemingly have no way out but to restart. I managed to get myself into one of those by throwing a shell way late into a jump.

And yes, the level is pretty great. A tad harder than it looks, btw.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Just wanna chime in and say that perhaps the speedrun tag is a tad misleading. Someone sees the level is about switches and has a speedrun tag, thinks it's another one like "Celestial Speedrun" and the like.

Also found out that you can get stuck on vertically placed switched blocks (the ones used to cover Switches) at a couple of spots. I don't mean the one you can just as easily jump out of. You get stuck in one of those, you seemingly have no way out but to restart. I managed to get myself into one of those by throwing a shell way late into a jump.

And yes, the level is pretty great. A tad harder than it looks, btw.
Yeah you could be right about the speedrun tag, but I think it's a decent level for speedrunning, not my fault the community has decided that speedrun means a level where you hold right and occasionally jump ;)
That sucks that you got stuck, there's a couple of spots where it can be cheesed too. Probably could have done with another few hours in the oven, but I don't like deleting my levels so I'll just have to live with it!
Thanks for playing!

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I want to bounce an idea off you guys and I want your honest opinions.

I'm considering building a level specifically for zero-percent hunters.

It would be a level that only I could beat.

However, I would put hints that COULD let someone else beat it. It may take months however, but the first person gets the glory.

It would be like a riddle.

I know it's not a 'good' idea, but I think a certain niche group might enjoy it. What do you think?

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
This deserves more love, here I was thinking 3D world was the only way to ride thwomps (without SMW spin jumps) but hey we've got something going here.
Aesthetic work is top notch, I love the first ship giving the appearance of being held up by a balloon.

One of those stages that builds to what I call a fun payoff conclusion, the seesaw ascent followed by the big thwomp descent is like a reward for making it that far.
Hahaha this stage was awesome! I like how you used chain chomp pegs as a way to ride thowmps, makes it more relaxed compared to other thowmp ride levels (though I like how you acknowledge the spin jump version with some secrets). I'm not sure this was intentional, but I also really liked that while you can skip parts with the cape, that it takes some skill to still pull off. Also, you weren't kidding about the climax, that was really cool!
Thank you both for playing it and I'm glad you enjoyed it. I hope the thwomp rides didn't malfunction during your run, I tried to provide reset doors in case that happens.

I will hopefully have some free time tonight and will try to get to your levels so I can give feedback.

ShellFoyer

Oct 30, 2017
I want to bounce an idea off you guys and I want your honest opinions.

I'm considering building a level specifically for zero-percent hunters.

It would be a level that only I could beat.

However, I would put hints that COULD let someone else beat it. It may take months however, but the first person gets the glory.

It would be like a riddle.

I know it's not a 'good' idea, but I think a certain niche group might enjoy it. What do you think?

Someone will beat it 30 seconds after you post it.

But it's a fine idea. They would need to be really cryptic clues, and you'd have to make the level can't otherwise be brute forced. Are you capable?

Deathbystereo

Oct 29, 2017
Some good levels posted in this thread!

Here are my first two attempts

Jungle River Jaunt
7T0-KX8-R0H
( This ones pretty short and simple)

Three Pyramids
6NN-QP5-3SF
( More puzzle solving and exploration in this, may be a bit too long tho!)

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Someone will beat it 30 seconds after you post it.

But it's a fine idea. They would need to be really cryptic clues, and you'd have to make the level can't otherwise be brute forced. Are you capable?

I have a specific setup that I think would keep people stumped for quite a while. But I could probably beat in a couple minutes.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Need your HALP, folks!

If you still haven't found it by time I get home in another hour or two I will try to find something. I like finding these type of things.

Deleted member 25140

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
f4mko0.jpg

Just finished my second level, longer than my first but still has a load of alternate paths and some well hidden secrets. Trying to make these play like actual Mario levels. Wouldn't mind some feedback though 🙏

Crystal Cavern - 2NW-YKD-SNG

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Hey guys special request, my 8 yo got this game for his birthday on Saturday and made a couple of levels. Can you give him a confidence boost by playing them (literally only takes 7-8 seconds) and leaving a comment or dropping a photo (Nice!) or something? I'd appreciate it and he would find that would be awesome!.

His screen name is dabdia

GOJ-DLP-OXF
J7M-LKL-QXF

My 8 year old would love you guys to try out his first two courses!

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Need your HALP, folks!

I didn't do extensive research (I leave that to RepairmanJack), but it should be possible I guess? I think the upper pipe which leads directly to the checkpoint is the fastest to the next area and there I didn't look up all the challenges but the one with the !-Blocks and the Goombas the pipe after that seemed quick enough. After that it's probably possible to enter the pipe after the key-block fast enough before the lava kills you?

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Here's all four levels from World 7, as I make my way to the home stretch in my Super Mario Maker 2 adventure.

world7byphil32dkj9r.png

Deleted member 34725

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I made a 3D World 20 second Kaizo speedrun level for the Giant Bomb "Get On My Level" feature, inspired by Jeff saying that he was really enjoying playing 20 second speedrun levels. I'm not really expecting them to play it on the show since Kaizo levels can be rough for people not used to them. That being said, this is a pretty easy level when it comes to Kaizo difficulty. Most of the bells and whistles are just there to make you look more badass.

The only 3D World specific things you need to know is how to long jump (L/ZL/R/ZR while holding left or right on the dpad), how to air twirl (L/ZL/R/ZR when in the air), and that you can wall jump out of a clear pipe (hold dpad toward the pipe and jump right as you exit).

2JM-JXJ-GQF

Here's a clear video for if anyone is having trouble who is new to Kaizo:

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Decided to get revenge for all the bad Kaizo stages I keep getting in Super Expert... by making my own Kaizo stage.
Introducing, the Sky Circus! Bounce off Bob-Ombs and P-Switches in this... err, probably alright Kaizo stage!
Code: 0W9-B13-94G
And if you want a sneak peak at the early part of the level...

If you do lots of Kaizo I don't anticipate this stage will trouble you too much, but anyone who is new to Kaizo or is kinda amateurish at it like me is sure to have a nice, fair and challenging time.
It's already got one comment from a kid who calls it a 'poop level' so I guess I must be doing something right...?