• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Made a new ghost house level:

The Mysterious Mansion: CWN-F7H-14G

It's a fairly standard Super Mario World style ghost house, wanted to play around with a few things.

I'm always up for a ghost house, so I tried it. If I had one feedback it would be that I reached the end while missing at least 50% of the level. I didn't find any secret, so maybe you could incentivise the player to go exploring?

This is actually the first of these I've played, I've admired the silly names from afar if nothing else.
Would you believe the buzzy beetle launcher fired a shell straight onto my head and denied me that vital P switch? what are the odds?!
Once I reset the stage and didn't blunder literally headfirst into the shell and could actually finish the stage, I can safey say that I approve.
And that you totally tricked me with the identical room, there was me literally saying out loud "how does being back here help me now though?"
ohhhhhhh.

Happy the twist works as intended!
I thought there was a possibility for the shell on the head thing to happen, but it never occurred to me. You didn't have to reset everything though? Just getting hit by a boo to remove the shell should work.

I DARE you to challenge

The Crag

3W6-7G6-5RF

Few adventurers challenge the mountain. Fewer reach the peak. Can you?

In this level nothing can kill the player - except the timer (500s).

Climb.

I did NOT like this level!
It's beautifully made and a great concept, but it pissed me off too much and I never managed to finish it.

So, no, to answer your question, I can NOT reach the peak.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Happy the twist works as intended!
I thought there was a possibility for the shell on the head thing to happen, but it never occurred to me. You didn't have to reset everything though? Just getting hit by a boo to remove the shell should work.
I may have missed something but I couldn't get back up to the bill blaster to fire out the shell needed to open the P switch pipe.
But it is like a one out of hundred scenario I'm sure

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

I returned to the SMB forest and made a new level. First time I played with the night theme and I used semi-solid and sound filter trickery to get rid of the "night" per se. Pretty happy with this one. This level is very speedrun friendly, but there are also two secret coins hiding somewhere.
This forest is full of piranha plants, but luckily you've got your fire flower, so nothing can go wrong, right?

Another classic. Really enjoyed this one. Vibe was different from your other levels too. Great job.

Just giving this one a bump!
Switchblock Palace

KDT-Q6W-PWF

Finally got around to finish another level, this ones a bit different to my last few. I wanted to get making a level with switch blocks out of my system, so it focuses a lot more on mechanics than looks. Basically it's a series of mini-challenges based around hitting switches with shells, but the targets are always nice and big, and there's a safety system so the shells can't bounce back and hurt you.
Since I first posted this I watched a streamer play it, and there's a couple of bits that can be cheesed, but I guess that just makes it speedrun friendly ;)

Played this and your other level. Both are gems. Really liked the climb in Oublette. It was pretty easily done but the challenge kept ramping up and kept it exciting. In Switchblock palace you really use some interesting ideas. I enjoyed it a ton. The on off switch light was really cool. I could see some awesome levels using that in the future. Continue to pump out

I just uploaded a new level:

Koopa Paratroopa Land
9QJ-64Q-HTF

PhD4bTb.jpg

This one is on the short and simpler side - it's an attempt at a traditional Super Mario World level, one that hopefully feels like it belongs in the earlier parts of the game.

My other two levels:

Saw Blades in the Sky: DJS-GRK-T6G
Lava Surfing: 5TB-GX0-NVF

I had fun with this one, it was a relatively simple level. Well executed. Knew when to end. Good job.

I'd appreciate if someone wanted to try two of my levels I made today.

Chilly world: 1D9-8G6-V8G
Dungeon and sky: Y88-J8X-70G

Both focus on platforming. I made D&s first, but it felt a bit monotonous. Tried to change things up more in Chilly world.

I played both. Chill world was enjoyable. I would agree dungeon and sky felt sort of plain. Not bad, just kinda there. If I remember correctly, the part where you ride the cloud and the clown car were more varried than the start.

WORLD'S 3 THROUGH 5 OF MY SUPER MARIO COUNTRY 'GAME' ARE NOW UP

(I'm going to include Worlds 1 and 2 in this post again for completionist sake)

0wnXAPA.png

World 3 - Desert Country
3-1
Code: 5VK-1JC-8TG
Description:
Cross the desert and watch out for winged Goombas!

3-2
Code: RFG-PLM-DXG
Description:
The desert's rain isn't what you'd hope for.

3-3
Code: YN2-2XJ-RWF
Description:
Make sure the sun doesn't get in your eyes...

3-4
Code: TNH-B5B-4MF
Description:
Watch your step as this fortress will try to squash intruders.

World 4 - Sky Country
4-1
Code: K8C-QM6-6YG
Description:
Liberate the skies from those pesky flying Koopas

4-2
Code: MP7-1Y0-2HG
Description:
These clouds sure don't look friendly...

4-3
Code: MF1-BQ6-6YG
Description:
Caution: Beware of flying Buzzy Beetles! (But they look so helpful...)

4-4
Code: Y8L-K2B-PDG
Description:
Bowser Jr.'s back with a few upgrades to his airship.

I played through Countries 3 and 4. You upped the challenge more as expected. I enjoyed Sky Country the most. All the levels felt varied and unique. I enjoyed desert country as well. I think one of the levels in it with the night time transition was a relatively large difficulty spike comparatively to the rest of the levels thus far. Overall good job. I'll tackle Country 5 later today.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
That really sucks when you don't find any good idea to end a level.
I have trying to come up with a good one to end my "Mario and the beanstalk" level and still struggle with it

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That really sucks when you don't find any good idea to end a level.
I have trying to come up with a good one to end my "Mario and the beanstalk" level and still struggle with it

It's fun to end a level with a Magikoopa stealing the goal because it's so underused and unexplained by the game. Can't do it every level obviously but guaranteed to surprise someone playing it.

Oct 29, 2017
I honestly had no idea that your "clear-check time" was a thing, I thought it just needed to be cleared to verify publishing privileges. I can clear my stage very fast but intentionally took my time to do every little secret

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
I may have missed something but I couldn't get back up to the bill blaster to fire out the shell needed to open the P switch pipe.
But it is like a one out of hundred scenario I'm sure

Oh, I get it, you went down with it.
That's a stupid mistake on my part, I just had to move the breakable block 1 spot left to prevent people from dropping.

Damn it's going to haunt me forever.

It's fun to end a level with a Magikoopa stealing the goal because it's so underused and unexplained by the game. Can't do it every level obviously but guaranteed to surprise someone playing it.

I've no idea what this means but it sure does sound fun.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Oh, I get it, you went down with it.
That's a stupid mistake on my part, I just had to move the breakable block 1 spot left to prevent people from dropping.

Damn it's going to haunt me forever.

I've no idea what this means but it sure does sound fun.

You can place a majikoopa right behind a flagpole or an axe, and its spell will make it disappear when you get close and you have to kill it to put it back. Not too difficult but it's a real "what the heck" moment if you've never seen it before.

Shadow Walker

Oct 27, 2017
I DARE you to challenge

The Crag

3W6-7G6-5RF

Climb.
This level was destroying my hands in hand held mode. Had to use pro controller it was a great level I downloaded it to try later on in docked mode.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I seriously have been on fire as far as quantity of levels uploaded this past week, hot damn (quality is obviously up for debate).

Spike Top Summit: Q8X-1VK-BCG
I just love themed levels so much and this one is based on the sticky-footed Spike Top. I really wanted to see what I could pull off using only basically Snake Blocks and Spike Tops and I am pretty satisfied with what came to be. I think after this course I'm gonna take a day or two break to catch up on playing some Era-Maker's courses before diving back into building.

Three Dee Road: 7QJ-GV1-NRF
Retro Road Redux: RVQ-8HS-R1G
Cheep-Cheep River Remix: GCC-H6N-4MG
Scorched Tower Ruins: 67F-421-6RF
Sand Springs: LCB-F5J-J5G
Overflow Frontier: 639-C0V-BGF
Butter Bridge Brigade: MKM-SFN-Q9G
Spiny Central: KDK-BGP-H9G
Bully Tracker: WWV-4QB-9YF
Creeper Aquarium: 75D-X6P-FPF
Bonesaw Base Remix: FXG-B9Y-9BG
Big Block Break: 20R-VJY-48G

Core Zero

Oct 25, 2017
I DARE you to challenge

The Crag

3W6-7G6-5RF

Climb.

I have challenged The Crag and conquered it. When do I get my piece in the mail?

I don't really have much to say about the level, it does what it sets out to do very well, I like the aesthetic and the concept. There were a few moments I was pissed at you for no checkpoints and limited landings, but I understand not having them. The last jump or two in particular is really punishing for failure. It's a good solid platforming challenge overall.

EDIT: Also beat Tough It and tried Tough It 2. Man I really hate the swings now, so many deaths to not having them do what I expect consistently. That's not your fault really, just a general complaint.

Last edited:

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
Made a level based on TNMT sewer surfing. It isn't very long or difficult but it was fun building with a theme.

6QK-BQL-Y8G

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
EABOTBuU0AEzXu_.jpg

This is a concept I've been noodling on for a while. I'm mostly happy with how it turned out. It's not meant to be a challenge; more of an experience. Hopefully you finish it and think "that was neat."
That was pretty cool, it could really, really use a checkpoint or 2 though, and a longer timer. Also, I am yet to encounter a situation where an invisible block with a koopa and a laugh sound effect in it is ok, even if it doesn't kill you! Good level though.
I did a similar thing called It's All Gone A Bit Pete Tong if you fancy checking it out.
R64-J5V-2HF

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
My newest Single Screen level.

The Micro-Labyrinth

68D-FRD-PSG

MtZsh9r.jpg

The main theme of the level is safely navigating semi-solid platforms to collect the keys to progress. Can you reach the final key?

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
EABOTBuU0AEzXu_.jpg

This is a concept I've been noodling on for a while. I'm mostly happy with how it turned out. It's not meant to be a challenge; more of an experience. Hopefully you finish it and think "that was neat."

Enjoyed it. Love the underground twist. However:

1) please avoid hidden troll blocks. They're just never fun outside explicit troll levels
2) checkpoint definitely needed
3) try to avoid places where i can fall as fire flower mario and get stuck on a spike with no way to escape until i lose both powerups and die (left a comment)

Last edited:

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017

1) please avoid hidden troll blocks. They're just never fun outside explicit troll levels
3) try to avoid places where i can fall as fire flower mario and get stuck on a spike with no way to escape until i lose both powerups and die (left a comment)
I think you quoted the wrong post?

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
I was going to come in here and give this level a boost as well. I played it earlier today as soon as I saw that Kiavik had turned out something new, and since then it's been all over the streams.

RagnarokX already explained the central trick to this above (and I'm very much looking forward to what he had planned for it himself, once he releases it), but the mechanic really couldn't have received a better, splashier debut than in a level like this. It's exceptional at introducing the mechanic, signalling puzzle solutions and positional information to the player, and giving you a reason to go back and study it all over again. And then there's that one jaw-dropper near the end that is, no question about it, my favourite single moment in three weeks of playing SMM2. You'll know it when you see it.

Offscreen trickery with the scroll-stop camera lock is something you can expect to come up more often now that's out in the wild, but this level specifically is the rare Mario Maker creation that is an instant classic, sure to be a reference point for design for a long time to come.

If you want to see another fascinating take on offscreen play with the camera lock, I also recommend giving this one a spin: Invisible in the Enchanted Well (FLF-J3H-Y7G). It's another mechanically easy-going puzzle level, very simple to navigate once you understand the gimmick, and at the moment it has very few plays.

Ok, that's awesome, thanks for the explanation.

Next question, I'm lost: how the hell do the blocks explode in the very first room?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
New level: Raid the Jungle Temple. Kinda went for an Indiana Jones vibe for this, although I wanted to focus on the Whomps as a 'trap' inside the 'temple'.

Code: 5NB-KT7-92H

Last edited:

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can someone help me with some guidance to creating a level?

I want to create my second but I'm at a loss as to what to do. :(

Oct 25, 2017
That was pretty cool, it could really, really use a checkpoint or 2 though, and a longer timer. Also, I am yet to encounter a situation where an invisible block with a koopa and a laugh sound effect in it is ok, even if it doesn't kill you! Good level though.
I did a similar thing called It's All Gone A Bit Pete Tong if you fancy checking it out.
R64-J5V-2HF

I liked your take on remixing 1-1; it was very disorienting and weird, which was neat.

I was torn on the checkpointing. The level really isn't that hard, but granted it is long, so screwing up would be annoying. Good feedback.

So simple so perfect.

Made a level based on TNMT sewer surfing. It isn't very long or difficult but it was fun building with a theme.

6QK-BQL-Y8G

I loved the pizza place at the start! And the sewer surfing was neat. Fun level - well done.

Super Mario Bros. Endgame

Bowser travels through time to confront Mario where it all began: 1-1

0HY-M7T-JYF

(Final version after an earlier attempt)

That was a neat idea. I definitely didn't expect to find Boom Boom in the underground.

I seriously have been on fire as far as quantity of levels uploaded this past week, hot damn (quality is obviously up for debate).

I just love themed levels so much and this one is based on the sticky-footed Spike Top. I really wanted to see what I could pull off using only basically Snake Blocks and Spike Tops and I am pretty satisfied with what came to be. I think after this course I'm gonna take a day or two break to catch up on playing some Era-Maker's courses before diving back into building.

My two least favorite mechanics are snake blocks and going up through spinning blocks. So congrats for making a level based on those mechanics that I didn't hate! :)

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can someone help me with some guidance to creating a level?

I want to create my second but I'm at a loss as to what to do. :(
My own process:

1) Get inspiration from other levels. Can just be one specific gimmick or cool usage or whatever.
2) Narrow yourself. "On this level I'll focus on claw, POW and precision jumps." Try and exhaust as many ideas as you can.
3) Start your level with doing one thing and then experiment if that thing can connect to another thing, and keep building like that.
4) Playtest, playtest, plattest

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
I liked your take on remixing 1-1; it was very disorienting and weird, which was neat.

I was torn on the checkpointing. The level really isn't that hard, but granted it is long, so screwing up would be annoying. Good feedback.
A general rule with checkpoints is that you can never have too many. Noone ever says that level could have been great, if only there had been less checkpoints!
Thanks for playing my level!

Oct 25, 2017

I actually do love that everyone knows where the hidden 1-up mushroom is and reacts so violently to finding something else there as the level progresses. It's very much intended to be disorienting but it shouldn't actually kill you.

The game doesn't give me enough horizontal space to do what I really want, which is to have those spikes you're referring to be pits. So I approximated it with spikes instead. If it was something that could instantly kill even Fire Mario I would have put that instead, but there isn't a block that does that. So it's kind of a feature not a bug, but I get that it's really annoying and not fun to get stuck like that.

I am going to pull the level down to add checkpoints and upload a version two sometime tonight. So I'll fix the sticking problem and I'll remove the laugh from the troll block (but it's still going to spit out enemies as opposed to 1-ups in the remixes).

Thanks for playing it and giving feedback!

Oct 25, 2017
A general rule with checkpoints is that you can never have too many. Noone ever says that level could have been great, if only there had been less checkpoints!
Thanks for playing my level!

I'm going to sheepishly raise my hand here, because I came in and read this just minutes after I complimented Sephzilla on the later entries of the Super Mario Country series (and the excellent level outside of that collection, Bowser Bucket Bootastic Boogaloo — 429-5YM-9HG) for their lack of checkpoints, as the pacing felt exactly right without them.

But then, as I always say, most of my favourite platforming experiences in recent years have involved long stages like the 3D Mario finales and no-checkpoint modes like DKCTF's 200% (which is where DKCTF's level structure truly sings). A stage can really shine with fewer checkpoints or no checkpoints at all, if the source of difficulty behaves reliably enough to be mastered consistently. It feels amazing to figure out the perfect method for the harder stumbling blocks in a long level and nail those obstacles smoothly and quickly on every attempt. If I really enjoy a level, I'll often treat the checkpoints as a practice crutch and go back to play the level straight through from top to bottom just to properly appreciate its pacing, even if I'm nowhere close to the world-record time.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked the way this level looks, and I loved the concept of the autoscroll section with the lava fish! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to beat it. I did make it near the end once (I assume), but it was a little too much for me.
Was defeating the Meowser at the end necessary to move on? I only made it there once, so I didn't figure out if you need to defeat him to finish.

I just uploaded a new level:

Koopa Paratroopa Land
9QJ-64Q-HTF

PhD4bTb.jpg

This one is on the short and simpler side - it's an attempt at a traditional Super Mario World level, one that hopefully feels like it belongs in the earlier parts of the game.

My other two levels:

Saw Blades in the Sky: DJS-GRK-T6G
Lava Surfing: 5TB-GX0-NVF
Yeah you had to kill Meowser, it turns out if you put a porcupuffer in lava they become immune to fire flowers so my original idea for a boss battle had to be switched out. Thanks for playing it, apparently it's way too hard since a bunch of people have booed it and no one has beaten it yet

EABOTBuU0AEzXu_.jpg

I liked it, didn't finish it. The bit with the Mega Mushroom felt odd without a checkpoint before it.

Three Dee Road: 7QJ-GV1-NRF
Retro Road Redux: RVQ-8HS-R1G
Cheep-Cheep River Remix: GCC-H6N-4MG
Scorched Tower Ruins: 67F-421-6RF
Sand Springs: LCB-F5J-J5G
Overflow Frontier: 639-C0V-BGF
Butter Bridge Brigade: MKM-SFN-Q9G
Spiny Central: KDK-BGP-H9G
Bully Tracker: WWV-4QB-9YF
Creeper Aquarium: 75D-X6P-FPF
Bonesaw Base Remix: FXG-B9Y-9BG
Big Block Break: 20R-VJY-48G

I learned two things about spike tops in this level. They have eyes which have somehow evaded my watchful gaze for my entire life and you can do a regular jump on them when they round corners in rare situations where their belly is exposed (and if you do this with a spin jump they poof away)
My newest Single Screen level.

The Micro-Labyrinth

68D-FRD-PSG

MtZsh9r.jpg

The main theme of the level is safely navigating semi-solid platforms to collect the keys to progress. Can you reach the final key?
This was great, I was able to solve it out just by looking at the picture. I appreciate a single screen puzzle that takes less than an hour of banging your head against a wall to figure out

ColR100

Jan 13, 2018
I'd highly recommend sticking to playing levels from this community or from creators whose other levels you enjoyed. The folks here are putting a lot more effort into their work so you are going to find higher quality, more enjoyable levels, leading to a better overall experience with the game. I've been mainly picking levels from this thread or the top 100 that appear interesting and have had a fantastic time.

Thanks for the recommendation here on how to approach the game. I won't be giving up on it quite yet, and shall get involved in playing some levels created by the community here.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
I'm going to sheepishly raise my hand here, because I came in and read this just minutes after I complimented Sephzilla on the later entries of the Super Mario Country series (and the excellent level outside of that collection, Bowser Bucket Bootastic Boogaloo — 429-5YM-9HG) for their lack of checkpoints, as the pacing felt exactly right without them.

But then, as I always say, most of my favourite platforming experiences in recent years have involved long stages like the 3D Mario finales and no-checkpoint modes like DKCTF's 200% (which is where DKCTF's level structure truly sings). A stage can really shine with fewer checkpoints or no checkpoints at all, if the source of difficulty behaves reliably enough to be mastered consistently. It feels amazing to figure out the perfect method for the harder stumbling blocks in a long level and nail those obstacles smoothly and quickly on every attempt. If I really enjoy a level, I'll often treat the checkpoints as a practice crutch and go back to play the level straight through from top to bottom just to properly appreciate its pacing, even if I'm nowhere close to the world-record time.
I think that's fair enough, there's a time and place for that sort of design. I just find that with limited gaming time, and trying to balance trying out lots of levels with making my own, I don't have much patience with levels that make me repeat stuff for lack of a checkpoint. If the level is well designed and fun to play then I don't mind, but the worst offenders are slow paced ones, or god forbid, autoscrollers, that go for too long without a checkpoint.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have come up with another stage that I think might be just as difficult as The Crag......maybe even more so.

Still, it is a level I hope you can conquer and enjoy!

I present to you.....

The Climb to Nimbus Land

BJ1-4BG-3RG

A vine in Bean Valley shoots to the sky. Is the fabled Nimbus Land real?
In this stage, you cannot die, except by the timer (500s).

Can you make it to the city in the sky? Start climbing...

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Somebody should make a thread just for people to talk about the best levels they've played in the game, along with the level codes for them.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I made a sequel to my popular Mario Maker 1 puzzle 8 Minutes, 5 Numbers, 1 Code.

Combo B-Lock: Harlequin Hall
QXL-FWV-9QG

Last edited:

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
So I've only used about 14 single coins while making this level and the game is saying I've reached the part limit for them.

Anyone know what's up with that?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I've only used about 14 single coins while making this level and the game is saying I've reached the part limit for them.

Anyone know what's up with that?
Coins are in the block group, so you must have run out of all blocks and hit the limit of 2,000. It includes brick blocks, hard blocks, ice blocks, clouds, spikes, etc.

nodakel

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I uploaded my first level! I've surprisingly had a lot of fun in the level editor -- I thought I would be more of a player.

Through The Jungle Cavern

QJQ-XD8-Y8G

2mfgMzm.jpg

Hope you enjoy it! Let me know if you have any feedback!

Last edited:

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I re-made 1-3 from the original Super Mario Bros. but added a fun nostalgic twist at the end if anyone wants to check it out. 1-1 and 1-2 always get all the love, so I thought I'd do a more uncommon one.

N57-7X3-41G