• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 27, 2017
Just put up this one, my second. Level ID is 46W-3JT-G8G. I like the idea of levels being deceptively easy, and I think this one fits the bill better than my last one even if the theme might be a little less tight. Enjoy!

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I'm pretty convinced nobody played my level I posted earlier:

Journey to the Center
02G-FD5-HDF

Straightforward level. Maybe a little hard but not impossible or anything.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Posting once more for weekend crowd.

The Jungle
02J-0HJ-JQF
Mario learns how the sausage gets made.

3p0BLjK.jpg

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Trying to dabble in level design by imitation first. I'm working on a recreation of Flying Battery Zone Act 1 From Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It's interesting to try and approximate the mechanics of other games into the Mario world and it gets you thinking about level design in a higher way while not needing to come up with ideas. Maybe after a few of those from different games I'll be able to branch off into my own original thinking.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Took a moment, but I added everyone on the Reset list to my follow. Won't be able to play anything until later, however.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
This game has helped confirm my dislike of NSMBU physics. It's like molasses compared to 1, 3 and World. I'm so glad we have this game for infinite variations on the good Mario games.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Trying to dabble in level design by imitation first. I'm working on a recreation of Flying Battery Zone Act 1 From Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It's interesting to try and approximate the mechanics of other games into the Mario world and it gets you thinking about level design in a higher way while not needing to come up with ideas. Maybe after a few of those from different games I'll be able to branch off into my own original thinking.

Imitation is harder than being creative. Like I tried to recreate Mega Man X Sigma' Fortress, but there wasn't anything in Mario Maker that match enemies in Mega Man X and the best template was the night fortress level that gave you a swimming gimmick.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
This game has helped confirm my dislike of NSMBU physics. It's like molasses compared to 1, 3 and World. I'm so glad we have this game for infinite variations on the good Mario games.

Funny enough, NSMBU physics are my favorite. Being able to wall jump and butt stomp feels fast and responsive. I find the older styles too limiting. 3D World is weird since it looks similar to NSMBU, but the way Mario acts is different with the spin, which keeps throwing me off.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
Got no plays on this one yet. If anyone wants to try, it's a 10 sec speedrun. SL6-L38-VGF

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand

I wasn't happy with NSMBU either, so I challenge myself with trying to make a fun level with it. I'm finishing the last details right now. I hope you give it a chance and try it.

itschris

Oct 27, 2017
I hadn't actually played a sky stage in Mario Maker yet. Nice one! I preferred the first third of the stage, with the jumping, to the last third with the positioning.
Everyone, this level is slept on. Play it, it's really fucking good. That is all.
This is really good. It reminds me of levels my friend makes that are named after would be super mario world levels. Quality stuff.

Wow, thanks for the feedback, everyone! I've been playing levels made by people that have played mine, and you've all made some great ones as well.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny enough, NSMBU physics are my favorite. Being able to wall jump and butt stomp feels fast and responsive. I find the older styles too limiting. 3D World is weird since it looks similar to NSMBU, but the way Mario acts is different with the spin, which keeps throwing me off.

Saaaaaaaame The wall jumping mechanics are fantastic. And wall jump heavy levels are among my favorites.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I've got two new levels that are up now:

Super SmashPad DX (shmup) - 4L3-0GR-3XG
MXC - Mario's Xtreme Challenge (Wall Bangers-inspired level) - 80C-39S-TYF

My Maker ID: 1GT-NJ0-N3G

Previous levels:

Kingdom Bully Patrol (themed level) - 08K-33K-MFG
SmashPad Gaiden Type 0 (shmup) - YTS-42S-6KG
Console Tariffs (tough platforming level) - MVT-FW1-7SG

Oct 28, 2017
Made my first stage, would love if some people played and shared their thoughts!

As I was telling my gf about this game, I didn't see any cat-mario stages so I sought to remedy that.

G1B-R3F-P7G

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I love this game. I was basically done with the Wii U after Smash came out so I missed out on the original but this is just pure bliss. Infinite Mario. I love it.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Don't you have those reversed? NSMBU is the one with the spin. 3D World has the cool long jump. Both have butt stomps and wall jumps.

edit: ah, didn't realize 3D World had a midair spin

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
4S6-SDJ-LQG

Nighttime infiltration mission on Bowsers Jr's castle, with one or two surprises along the way. I wanted it to be intense feeling level with a normal difficulty.

I'd really like to know how well I did the difficulty and pacing, because it's hard with just me playtesting it.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Don't you have those reversed? NSMBU is the one with the spin. 3D World has the cool long jump. Both have butt stomps and wall jumps.

edit: ah, didn't realize 3D World had a midair spin

3D World has the mid-air spin. I know since I keep using it when I try to butt stomp. In NSMBU, you butt stomp by either holding down on the D-Pad or pressing ZR button. In 3D World, you can only butt stomp by pressing down on the D-Pad and the spin is the ZR button shoulder pad.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
3D World has the mid-air spin. I know since I keep using it when I try to butt stomp. In NSMBU, you butt stomp by either holding down on the D-Pad or pressing ZR button. In 3D World, you can only butt stomp by pressing down on the D-Pad and the spin is the ZR button shoulder pad.
Weird, I have to press down to butt stomp on both.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously. Then again, wall climbing and jumping is the reason why I adore the Mega Man X series over the OG series.

Yeah, I'm a huge Super Meat Boy fan and honestly think its one of the best platformers ever easily. The smooth wall jumping mechanics are a huge part of that. When wall jumps feel good they feel really good.

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
My latest level (Night time SMB3): Frozen Ghost House. Will you find the exit, or will you freeze to death? Would appreciate a first clear and any feedback too!

G98 XWK JRF

I don't have much inspiration left to make levels at the moment, im just pretty much gonna play a bunch of levels now, try to find a concept I like and do something with it. Maybe a slide level? although, that could be pretty difficult to make...

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
4S6-SDJ-LQG

Nighttime infiltration mission on Bowsers Jr's castle, with one or two surprises along the way. I wanted it to be intense feeling level with a normal difficulty.

I'd really like to know how well I did the difficulty and pacing, because it's hard with just me playtesting it.

Really fun level, it did feel intense because of the lava rising (I didn't even notice it in the first part until the last corridor and was like oh damn!). DIfficulty was a bit on the easy side but still very very enjoyable. Perhaps a faster autoscroll couldve made is harder a bit.

Made my first stage, would love if some people played and shared their thoughts!

As I was telling my gf about this game, I didn't see any cat-mario stages so I sought to remedy that.

G1B-R3F-P7G

Also enjoyable, you had fun coin placement for the cat mario suit to be used. Pretty good for a first level id say

Last edited:

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Just finished my second level ever. I learnt a few things while completing the story mode and use them here. I hope you guys enjoy if you play the level. I will also love to hear any feedback you might have.

NQC-YNN-1YF

Thanks for playing :-)

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Guess it's time for me to try a bunch of stages. Funnily enough, I haven't created a single one yet and I don't think that's changing any time soon.

Core Zero

Oct 25, 2017
Try my level DL9-0SH-SLF

It took me 44 minutes but I did it. If nothing else I leveled up my shell skills with this one. A good sense of progression getting better with the mechanics over time, but it was an ordeal. I think I might have cheesed out the last section? At the part with the bullet bills I damage boosted over the spikes to Yoshi. It looks like there was something up above the bills but I never got up there to see, and the damage boost plan worked so I did that. We'll see if anyone challenges my first clear WR, lol.

OP
OP

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my second level ever. I learnt a few things while completing the story mode and use them here. I hope you guys enjoy if you play the level. I will also love to hear any feedback you might have.

NQC-YNN-1YF

Thanks for playing :-)

some feedback:

The bowser jr part at the beginning kinda feels unecessary? the rest of the level is all about switch puzzles which is fun but when you mess up and restart ( IE, timer runs out) then you gotta go thru bowser jr again for some reason, as small mario too and a random fireball while entering his area could kill you before you get to drop down.

the first switch puzzle with the koopas is creative but kinda felt inconsistent for me, sometimes the koopa would fall on the right spot, sometimes not

also some of these puzzles take time to figure out, I timed out 3 times out of your level already, perhaps increasing the timer or adding a checkpoint would be a good idea next time.

other than that, fun ideas.

Last edited:

Core Zero

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the arrow was indication enough of where to get the key, but I'll keep that in mind for me other future levels. The design concept was my friend who's nickname is Yoshi, and I wanted to make a level showing them in distress.

I wanted to put a midpoint, but I realized it didn't work with the key.

Thanks so much for your critique. Please feel free to quote this post and send some of your levels this way for me to try out and critique as well.

I think I saw that you went into my profile and cleared my 2 levels. If you have any comments on either one feel free.

For anyone else, I have 2 levels up right now. One at 25% clear rate, the other at 5%. Maker ID is VMF-SQJ-PRF
Any plays, likes, and comments/critiques are appreciated!

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The Anthill
LK1-CCG-TYF

A bunch of ideas I had that are mostly an excuse to use the SM3DW desert theme.
Try getting all three green stars mushrooms

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
some feedback:

The bowser jr part at the beginning kinda feels unecessary? the rest of the level is all about switch puzzles which is fun but when you mess up and restart ( IE, timer runs out) then you gotta go thru bowser jr again for some reason, as small mario too and a random fireball while entering his area could kill you before you get to drop down.

the first switch puzzle with the koopas is creative but kinda felt inconsistent for me, sometimes the koopa would fall on the right spot, sometimes not

other than that, fun ideas.

Thanks for that :-) To be honest, I did that part late last night, just before going to bed. The rest of the level came to me this morning, when the brain was fresh and rested. Got lazy and never went to change that first part when I should've. I'll try to be more consistent with the next level.

I can't figure out the koopa music block jump timing.

I don't have the Switch with me right now, but if it is the one I'm thinking, press the switch right after the koopa touches the wall and start walking back

Oct 27, 2017
Alameda, CA
For the late night crowd, I present my third level:

A Song of Ice and Fire: L7S-P3W-VXG

D-2QfnaVAAA4-Pz

This is my first try at a little longer, more traditional platforming level. I strive not to be too difficult and fair to the player, but I already saw some improvements I could have made after my clear run.

Would love any feedback you might have!

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
For the late night crowd, I present my third level:

A Song of Ice and Fire: L7S-P3W-VXG

D-2QfnaVAAA4-Pz

This is my first try at a little longer, more traditional platforming level. I strive not to be too difficult and fair to the player, but I already saw some improvements I could have made after my clear run.

Would love any feedback you might have!

The 2 things that I have most in Super Mario games, thanks for the challenge! Really enjoyed the level. It took me a few tries to finish it and the last run took me ages :-)

NeuroCloud

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Hey guys, I've finally completed my second level, unfortunately I missed the deadline for the competition but if you're interested, I've focused on new assets:

Starbreeze: The Oxygen Helmet
L5F-BGB-3XG
An upside-down puzzle in space!

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Playing a bunch of levels from here, comments below:

4S6-SDJ-LQG

Level was okay, I actually think it would've been better without the swimming physics, but overall decent

G1B-R3F-P7G

Level was decent, but the tree jumps in the middle of the stage are kinda awkward
I've got two new levels that are up now:

My Maker ID: 1GT-NJ0-N3G

Previous levels:

Decent, but too long maybe, and there's either way more coins than there needs to be or the clear condition for coins should be way higher

Basically Pick a Pipe but with Twisters, it was decent

I liked this one, albeit quite short

This was okay, but the coin collecting semeed kind of pointless since there was a 50 coin at the end; again the clear condition for coins should've been way higher

This one was pretty awkward to play, the thwomps felt very Kaizo-ish which made it mostly a frustrating experience, I actually Booed it just because it was driving me crazy lol

Please try my Skyfall level! :)

NSS-91C-WKG

Pretty fun, but super short
Got no plays on this one yet. If anyone wants to try, it's a 10 sec speedrun. SL6-L38-VGF

I liked this one a lot actually, it's the perfect length for something like this for a non-Kaizo player - I took the the World Record too!

Posting once more for weekend crowd.

The Jungle
02J-0HJ-JQF
Mario learns how the sausage gets made.

3p0BLjK.jpg

This was easily the best level I played - very well made with a hard, but fair difficulty and lots of unique challenges

Here's my own level if anyone wants to try mine:

D-xSk5kU8AAgOj5