• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Can someone help me out and give me a first play ;_;

G9D-Q9J-WKF

I made the level pretty hard......but no kaizos or randomness to it......

feedback appreciated as always.

It's a cool level but it's a bit hard for me. I think it works well for what it's trying to do. It almost has the feel of a really old arcade racing game where you have to stay on the track. The track is very narrow and you have to be precise which I found frustrating. Also once you lose the Cape its game over but that's the nature of the level so I can't really criticise that.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
Submission for ResetEra's Official Level Competition

D-v9OpiUcAUz79x

"Big ones are key"
Description: Explore Toy World!
Code: N4D-DW5-LTG
Difficulty: Easy-Normal

Just a little fun with skipsqueak and twhomps. You have to get the keys for progressing the level with easy little puzzles involving big skipsqueaks, jumping, power-ups, and so.
Had fun with the 3D World setting!
I like my other level more, with neat puzzles and a cool boss fight, but I think this one accomplishes better the submissions guidelines.

Forest of Wonders: 17V-B2F-LRF

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I don't know, you even beat my clear time.

Your levels are great, but the second one is too much for me. The first one were you supposed to finish with the shellmet or I got lucky?
Haha, you got lucky! That very rarely happened in my tests, and I never got the finish with it on, always fell. You got the Good End, I guess!

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's a cool level but it's a bit hard for me. I think it works well for what it's trying to do. It almost has the feel of a really old arcade racing game where you have to stay on the track. The track is very narrow and you have to be precise which I found frustrating. Also once you lose the Cape its game over but that's the nature of the level so I can't really criticise that.

I see. Yes it is! It was hard for me to upload

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Made a new course that's Donkey Kong Country inspired. Aptly named: Mario Kong Country. Pretty by the numbers platforming stuff.

Course ID: 80F-2VP-5FF

Last edited:

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So, since the Thread moves rather fast, has there been any info how the contest will be handled? Do we get an extra thread? Will there be a link in the first post?

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Mario's faithful companion Yoshi wants to go for a ride. Will you indulge?
This stage cannot be completed while riding Yoshi, but don't worry--Yoshis always find their way back home, so don't feel guilty about leaving one behind.

6W7-LFF-NBG

5-1yoshisjunglesafariiijol.png

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Made a new course that's Donkey Kong Country inspired. Aptly named: Mario Kong Country. Pretty by the numbers platforming stuff.

Course ID: X65-7G1-DDF

Extremely good. Loved it. I only found two of the pink coins though! Despite that I hit the point of the low time jingle playing, so I wonder if it's possible for a first timer to find them and get through in time.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Extremely good. Loved it. I only found two of the pink coins though! Despite that I hit the point of the low time jingle playing, so I wonder if it's possible for a first timer to find them and get through in time.
Oh really? Hmmm, I wanted it have a slight challenge, but that might not be good. I'll bump up the time and reupload it

Core Zero

Oct 25, 2017

Safe Havens in Perilous Poison
Level Code: S4H-QMC-DDF
Style: NSMB

A stage loosely inspired by the Boss Bass levels in SMB3, but instead of a hungry fish threatening you, the water is now deadly poison! Find safe places to rest until the poison recedes to make your way to the end. Take it slow and safe, or go fast and figure out the speedy path and hidden exit! Level is designed to be on the harder side of Normal difficulty, as if it were in a mid-game world of traditional Mario. MM2 new features include night theme, rising/falling liquid, On/Off switches, seesaws, reverse gravity. Good luck!

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Reuploaded my course after adjusting the time a bit. 400 seconds I think should be enough. I kind of wanted it to be like DKC where you collect KONG.

Last edited:

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Made a little twist on the classic Mario 3 Airship stage. Pretty easy going imo.

Fire Flower Heist QM7-V12-Q6G
Moles are harvesting the fire flowers. Board their airship and blow it up!

I enjoyed your level! Wasn't too hard, but maybe could have used some signs or coins to kinda guide the player to where they are supposed to go as I jumped to my death a few times because I wasn't sure where to go.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
Submission for Restera's Official Level Competition

fotMId7.png
Name: It Follows
Course ID: QR5-0R7-6SF
Tags: Puzzle, Theme
Description: A bad encounter has left Mario haunted by a relentless mushroom. Can our unfortunate hero dodge the entity while navigating puzzles to free himself from the curse before it is too late?

This stage sees Mario pursued by the rotten mushroom. I designed several puzzles that are intended to trap the mushroom and free the way forward. The goal was to create tension and a real sense of fear as the rotten mushrooms get ever closer to the player.

As far as new features, the course uses night mode, the rotten mushroom, sideways thwomps, and swinging claws.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

This was awesome! I played through and found four red coins but I got a 'communication error' as soon as I hit the flagpole so it didn't register. So I'll have to do it again! Loved the stage.

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Reuploaded my course after adjusting the time a bit. 400 seconds I think should be enough. I kind of wanted it to be like DKC where you collect KONG.

Very well done level! Thoroughly enjoyed it and I don't usually enjoy water areas. Smart enemy placement and good difficulty. Going to give your other level a play now. 🙂

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
This was awesome! I played through and found four red coins but I got a 'communication error' as soon as I hit the flagpole so it didn't register. So I'll have to do it again! Loved the stage.
Probably because I deleted and reuploaded it, sorry! Check my posts for the new code! Glad to hear you enjoyed it

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
I've made a small running list of level creator to follow.

Any other suggestions of people to follow?

Mario Maker 2 Creator IDs

GC0-BJM-HBG : Nintendo US (Official Invitational Courses)

JVY-3W4-11H : Maddy - Developer of Celeste

96T-FTR-BRG : PePanga - Speed Runner, Kaizo Levels
SG1-F9D-42G : GPB - Grand Poo Bear, Mario Speedrunner, Kaizo Training

7K7-YH8-R7G : PKlepek - Patrick Klepek, Vice Games

VPQ-84B-KYF : DanRyckert - Giant Bomb Editor
84B-B1N-4MG : Jeff.Zone - Jeff Gerstman, Giant Bomb Editor
LHH-9VB-F2H : PackBenPac - Ben Pack, Giant Bomb Editor
NNM-6Q8-NGF : Fobwashed - Giant Bomb Community
61K-V1V-L0G : TurboMan - Giant Bomb Community

405-052-WSF : RubberRoss - Game Grumps

2PJ-8HL-3PG : Kobun - ResetEra Member, fun levels
VM3-99L-LMG : RobinClair - ResetEra Member
1GT-NJ0-N3G : Crashingtn - ResetEra Member
XL6-50J-PFG : Lump - ??

DVS-SC8-N0G : Braden CCB - Tough Levels
QYC-V7C-BHF : bruhhhhh - I don't know, fun levels

TGT-K7Y-JVF : DyreSchlok - me

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Still getting my feet wet making levels but here's the first I put some time into. Experimented with line blocks and wall jumps.

081-RPK-NBG

Oct 25, 2017
Narrow buzzer-beater here as this streamer (VGMelodies) makes it out of my first level with seconds left on the clock:

(Clipped from the clear attempt starting at 3:57:57. I knew he could do it when I saw him blast through Flame War on a Series of Tubes earlier in the day.)

I've been catching up on as much as I can here today, and already leaving in-game comment cards on some underplayed stages I like, but if I have time I'll respond to some of them in more detail in this thread so they can hopefully attract more plays.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Did playing already start for the competition? My level that I submitted was 0 players for days and when I just booted up the game I got 3 likes and 13 players.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I don't understand why so many Super Expert levels don't give you your three 1-ups. I find that to be more of a "fuck you" than the shitty, tedious level design itself.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017

Really enjoyed this, and the upped time limit was much appreciated. Found all of the pink coins and the secret room!

After many hours of iterating I've finally got a new level ready to go:

ojCXWJW.png

The Switching Hour
Course ID: L17-0V6-PYF
Difficulty: Normal
Multiplayer Friendly?: No

With this one I had a few goals in mind. I really wanted to make a Yoshi level but had no ideas for him back in MM1, and I also wanted to try to crack the night theme ghost house which often tends to have frustrating levels. I came up with a mechanic for the switches that's a little different from their usual purposes and used it to augment all of the level beats. I really wanted to make something with the darkness gimmick that felt like something Nintendo might do in a NSMB level so I tried to adhere to the Mario level design principles outlined in the OP or in videos like the ones from Ceave or Game Maker's Toolkit. I'm hoping for a normal difficulty although there are some traps that may catch people off guard but I did my best to allow players to react and to prime them for what was coming.

Great work making the night theme for the ghost house work in a way that wasn't annoying and worked well with its strengths! You did a terrific job, and I quite enjoyed this level.

Neon Highway Hooligans
QC7 LDS 5JG

Y3KiyOl.jpg

I spent this afternoon hammering this stage out (this may not look like a pun yet, but it is!)
So I figure I'll make it the new beginnings stage, can't be newer than using the 3D World style after all, AND the new power up.
After much mulling about how to make use of the Builder suits short distance swing hammer, I realised it has good synergy with the 3D World exclusive bullies.
There's no conventional damage in this stage, but a number of pits the bullies will want to knock you down, with 3D World's limited aesthetic touches I opted for keeping the stages building blocks in their single row neon form throughout.
Balancing took a surprisingly long time here, the bullies move in mysterious ways and can see you from a fair distance away in turns out.

Creative usage of both Bullies and the car! I also thought the way to get the 10 coin was brilliant and clever as well. An overall great level!

"Submission for ResetEra's Official Level Competition"

Mario Mario's Pro Skull Surfer - Hangar
A Tony Hawk 2D Remake

As every tony hawk stage, there are lots of missions but you only need 3 to progress

High Score - 25 (the actual requirement for the level)
Pro Score - 55 - bragging rights points
Collect C-O-I-N-S - 5 points
Jump Over The Gap - 10 points
Find the Hidden 4 Half Pipes - 10 points
Jump the Crate - 10 points
Grind the Chopper - 10 points
Hidden Tape over the Snow - 10 points

Totally gnarly! Like, TOTALLY! Enjoyed the concept here, and the execution was pretty good, too!
Bully the Bullies
S0C-YCP-JVF
Show the bullies who's boss, need to defeat all 15.

In a level like this that's auto-scrolling, you really need to have some extra Bullies or something, because it's incredibly hard to defeat them all in one pass with the screen scrolling like it does. The final Bully where you have to bounce on it over the spikes is rather tough due to the AI, and if you don't bounce on it just right, you're SOL. Love the concept, just needs some retooling, I think.

Proto

Jan 19, 2018
Anybody mind trying my Kamek course? Uploaded over 24 hours ago and still hasn't been played. Thanks in advance!

X27-14B-Q1H

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
This is my third attempt at this course. First one had some unintended damage boosts, second one went way too harsh in restricting options to the point of needing unnecessary precision at random points, this one is trying to find a happy medium.

l85Twaq.jpg

Lesson I've relearned harshly in the last day: there's a lot of times where you realize that something that's become complete second nature to you over testing is actually kind of obtuse or demands specific inputs that almost nobody would figure out on their first go.

(Note: after deleting and reuploading this course I jumped up 40 maker points)

Great job! Never knew you can long jump into those on/off blocks. Creative!

Tough but doable!

Letsfly

Feb 12, 2019
This is my third attempt at this course. First one had some unintended damage boosts, second one went way too harsh in restricting options to the point of needing unnecessary precision at random points, this one is trying to find a happy medium.

l85Twaq.jpg

Lesson I've relearned harshly in the last day: there's a lot of times where you realize that something that's become complete second nature to you over testing is actually kind of obtuse or demands specific inputs that almost nobody would figure out on their first go.

(Note: after deleting and reuploading this course I jumped up 40 maker points)

Very nice course. You got one like for me.

rubbishmonkey

Oct 27, 2017

Someone on reddit posted a list :

21Q-LXQ-DMF - Freedom Planet Director

T4S-TJG-LVF - Sable dev

4QV-FFQ-YNF - Doki Doki Literature Club Dev

LK2-2BQ-L0H - Stanley Parable Dev

QW4-P23-L0H - Iconoclasts Dev

DB4-S2B-X2G - Kuso Dev

80G-TYK-F7G - Kyle and Lucy Programmer

6W4-FW5-6MG - Flinthook Designer

6KP-4WN-LVF - Charmlings Dev

TK3-1YX-SQG - Slime-san Dev

9X4-916-XMG - Commander Keen Designer

I've not had the time to check many of them out yet

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017

This was fun but it could have used progressive powerups and there were too many areas underwater that didn't have anything interesting so I just stopped checking. Platforming was nice and not overly complicated and I enjoyed the use of scenery.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver

Someone on reddit posted a list :

21Q-LXQ-DMF - Freedom Planet Director

T4S-TJG-LVF - Sable dev

4QV-FFQ-YNF - Doki Doki Literature Club Dev

LK2-2BQ-L0H - Stanley Parable Dev

QW4-P23-L0H - Iconoclasts Dev

DB4-S2B-X2G - Kuso Dev

80G-TYK-F7G - Kyle and Lucy Programmer

6W4-FW5-6MG - Flinthook Designer

6KP-4WN-LVF - Charmlings Dev

TK3-1YX-SQG - Slime-san Dev

9X4-916-XMG - Commander Keen Designer

I've not had the time to check many of them out yet
Thanks. Searched twitter and found a few more. I tried searching japanese twitter too but my japanese is too rusty. There must be some japanese developers making mario maker stuff.

FBJ-JFK-15G : donsy - Youtuber, videogamedunkey
YDM-T6Q-RSF: Sjosz - Bioware Senior level designer
GHN-F3X-QVF : Dimbleby - Snipperclips Creative Director

Last edited:

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018

I posted this level before but I just now read the rules for the competition and have decided to submit it:

A level for Evangelion fans.

"Rogue MPEs have captured Rei, and Shinji is trapped in his Eva's pen. You must pilot Unit 02 as Asuka and defeat the nine MPEs. You can also try to save the 'lives' of your 2 fellow pilots."

Course ID: J6G-NKX-DHF

There might be some worthwhile secrets if you manage to sortie from the Unit 00 and 01 pipes...

FILE_ID.DIZ

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Fort Wayne
I just can't help myself anymore.

Crossing the Desert
80C-9SV-3PF

It's kind of like Homer Simpson's version of "crossing the desert", minus the swollen ass.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so I made a quick and dirty level. Wish Swoopers were an enemy type. I'd throw a bunch of them at the bottom if they were. Also I wish I could have added more Height.

V5R G1X 59G

C9Zb2tZ.gif

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Anybody mind trying my Kamek course? Uploaded over 24 hours ago and still hasn't been played. Thanks in advance!

X27-14B-Q1H

Played your course. From what I played, it's really luck base. I assume what you're supposed to do is used the wizard's magic to dissolve the blocks to get to the switch. I died several times because I kept getting big Boos, fish that would go into the lava and attack you, and the flame bar, making the boss impossible to beat. I only beat it after getting lucky and getting leaf.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Okay so I made a quick and dirty level. Wish Swoopers were an enemy type. I'd throw a bunch of them at the bottom if they were. Also I wish I could have added more Height.

V5R G1X 59G

C9Zb2tZ.gif

Cute level. Although, I should pay attention to the picture next time since I was taking off-guard by the saws at the end.

kingsnake14

Jul 4, 2019
Hey guys, I'm new here in resetera

Here is my level, with three endings (Sad, True and Good). I would be happy if you play and talk about what you thing

I will see some levels here to play too

D-loz8jVAAAn52c.jpg:large

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
Just finished making a new level and had fun with some see saws :)

A Walk With Koopa In The Cloud

VH6 WHF BNF

Hope you guys enjoy it. It is very short and want to expand the concept after some feedback

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Submission for Restera's Official Level Competition

Alright so I know this won't do well in the compettion. and I've already posted this level in a few contexts in this thread, but I'm submitting it because sadly, the level I intended to submit just wasn't coming together, while the back up needs more time in the oven, so I figure something is better than nothng! Apologies for posting this level yet again, this is pretty much just me taking too much time on the other levels lol

Title: The Yoshis: A Tale Of Alliances

Course Code: TFH-LVS-NJF

Short Video:

This is a story based level that takes advantage of the Red Yoshi, using it and the Green Yoshi as characters in a story. They're a couple that are helping you inflitrate Bowser's Last Castle, but things don't go quite as planned...

The level probably won't do too great because it doesn't make obvious use of new Mario Maker 2 features, but it does none the less outside of the Red Yoshi. It makes heavy use of the scroll stopper function to create the illusion that you're going in and out of Bowser's castle. Additionally, since hard blocks and ground tiles are counted seperately, I had enough hard blocks to basically construct an outside castle. I also make use of a few other new features such as a see-saw for a boss fight, and switch blocks for story reasons. However, the story about the two Yoshis is the big point.

Last edited:

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Guess I'll submit this for the contest:

Rainbow Rise
YYB-LYX-GRG

Climb the rainbow.