• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm playing it now, first comment would be I don't know if the shell in the question block was suppose to cause this much trouble but I keep wearing it as a helmet instead of catching it and it is becoming super frustrating.

n regards to the skull ride I think the first 2 on off jumps are too close. Its super easy to overshoot right from the beginning there. I would spread them apart a bit and let the player better get acclimated to the theme before ramping it up

That's as far as I got, been playing the level for more than 30 mins, don't think I'm going to finish it.

Still liked it though. I may return later but I think if I miss that first on off switch one more time right now I'm gonna throw my controller.
Throw the shell at the switch and it gives you more room on the skull ride as I show in my video above

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Nighttime bowser castle is the most this game has felt romhacky to me. Just everything's all normal but apparently you're swimming.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
For someone that didn't play the first Mario Maker and is a Mario fan on the edge of purchasing this, is the game worth it? I'm trying to wait for some deals so that I can nab it digitally, but wanting to make sure it's a great game.
I didn't play the original and found this game really easy to get into and start making levels, so much variety here. There is a fun story mode with like 100 levels too, that will get you in the mood to face what the community has made, which is where you will face the real challenges this game is capable of. People make plenty of chill creations as well. If you love Mario games, have any interest in making your own levels and playing an endless amount of levels made by the community, pick this game up. It is totally worth it.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
After a long day of BBQ burgers and hot dogs, why not relax with a tour of Bowser's Meat Packing Plant?

The Jungle
02J-0HJ-JQF

Pnh8Cy3.jpg

Looking for a little feedback on this one, as it's the first time I've tried so many contraptions and the like. Interested to see which ones people are able to break.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Made another standard level if some people wouldn't mind getting the played ball rolling :)

It's called snow plants. SMW stand Mario level

SB4-35K-2SF

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Snagged this today, and man I just gotta day, the simple fact of playing SMB/SMB3/SMW co-op is just fucking surreal.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Nighttime bowser castle is the most this game has felt romhacky to me. Just everything's all normal but apparently you're swimming.

It's so shitty. Was just saying how in SMB3 it uses a different ground set which I want to use in a design but the swimming physics just make no sense and I will never use it because of that. They really should let you turn off night time effects. It's just arbitrarily limiting.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
After a long day of BBQ burgers and hot dogs, why not relax with a tour of Bowser's Meat Packing Plant?

The Jungle
02J-0HJ-JQF

Pnh8Cy3.jpg

Looking for a little feedback on this one, as it's the first time I've tried so many contraptions and the like. Interested to see which ones people are able to break.

Really cool stage! That on/off koopa jump was really good

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
For someone that didn't play the first Mario Maker and is a Mario fan on the edge of purchasing this, is the game worth it? I'm trying to wait for some deals so that I can nab it digitally, but wanting to make sure it's a great game.
YES. I didn't play the first game at all. And I don't plan to make many levels myself. But just playing the story mode alone is a joy.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
It's so shitty. Was just saying how in SMB3 it uses a different ground set which I want to use in a design but the swimming physics just make no sense and I will never use it because of that. They really should let you turn off night time effects. It's just arbitrarily limiting.
I think it's fun to be wacky like that. I want to use it for my next level as soon as I figure out what to do with it.

But I do understand the frustration that the SMB3 ground tileset is locked to it. It looks a lot better than the square metal blocks in the day version.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
This game is way easier to get into to build levels. It has great tutorials to get you going as well. The story mode is fantastic, but not as good as a regular Mario campaign, which is a more carefully crafted set of levels. The story mode of Mario Maker 2 are more like 100 levels to show you the things you can do in the editor and to inspire you, but they really are worth playing. So long story short; if you like 2D Mario games there's more than enough content in this for you even if you don't plan on making your own levels. Add a huge toolset on top of that to make your own shit and an infinite number of community created levels (including levels by people like the developer of Celeste) and it's a really great package.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Made a new level! It's called Goomba Tower, it's short and easy, but I think you'll find that it contains possibly one of the most satisfying moments conceivable in a Mario game (hopefully)

Also got three hidden large coins for an extra exploration challenge!

Goomba Tower
GCT-XYQ-XSF

RHANITAN

Oct 25, 2017

I made a stage all about poison mushrooms, They seem simple but they can get up to some shenanigans.

Last edited:

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't play the original and found this game really easy to get into and start making levels, so much variety here. There is a fun story mode with like 100 levels too, that will get you in the mood to face what the community has made, which is where you will face the real challenges this game is capable of. People make plenty of chill creations as well. If you love Mario games, have any interest in making your own levels and playing an endless amount of levels made by the community, pick this game up. It is totally worth it.
YES. I didn't play the first game at all. And I don't plan to make many levels myself. But just playing the story mode alone is a joy.
This game is way easier to get into to build levels. It has great tutorials to get you going as well. The story mode is fantastic, but not as good as a regular Mario campaign, which is a more carefully crafted set of levels. The story mode of Mario Maker 2 are more like 100 levels to show you the things you can do in the editor and to inspire you, but they really are worth playing. So long story short; if you like 2D Mario games there's more than enough content in this for you even if you don't plan on making your own levels. Add a huge toolset on top of that to make your own shit and an infinite number of community created levels (including levels by people like the developer of Celeste) and it's a really great package.

Thanks so much for the feedback! Just nabbed some Eshop cards for a great price and bought the Nintendo voucher, so going to grab the game and another. :D

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Made my second level today. Made it with my niece in mind as something that might give her a little trouble but still be beatable. It's a standard level, no big tricks or secrets, just platforming. If you guys would be so kind and give it a play and some critiques, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

QCW-S43-N6G

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Did a very simple logical loop type of level,in case anyone wants to try. I think the solution was too trivial, but its the type of level i like the most.

Level id: ND8-6BP-VKF

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Hey all, so how is story mode? Does it seem like 100+ levels of unique designs or are they more about teaching stuff from a design standpoint? Hope that makes sense. Asked early in the thread on the day of release and that was a tad... premature I think, lol.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Hey all, so how is story mode? Does it seem like 100+ levels of unique designs or are they more about teaching stuff from a design standpoint? Hope that makes sense. Asked early in the thread on the day of release and that was a tad... premature I think, lol.

It's more about teaching design than it is about thorough crafted levels. That said many of the levels in the story mode are excellent and really unique. It's definitely worth a play. I dunno if I would recommend the game to someone just based on story mode alone though.

Funtownarcade

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
This is a great game but is anyone else having issues with their Joycons not working while in portable mode? It is so weird and frustrating because they work perfectly in the Switch menus but when I start this game my left joycon just doesn't work it is giving me some serious stress. I tried re-syncing and everything. I even bought brand new joycons and the issue persists.

Rask

Oct 25, 2017
OK! After hours of playing, I've finally hunkered down and started building. I went for something difficult, and I worry it's a tad cheap in a couple spots early on, but since my upload clear I've cleared it several times. So I hope that means it's alright. You guys have got some serious talent in here. Hugely inspiring work.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Made a new level! It's called Goomba Tower, it's short and easy, but I think you'll find that it contains possibly one of the most satisfying moments conceivable in a Mario game (hopefully)

Also got three hidden large coins for an extra exploration challenge!

Goomba Tower
GCT-XYQ-XSF
I liked this one. Not a huge challenge or anything, but felt like it would be fun to try to speedrun. And that moment was indeed quite satisfying.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
A preview of my newest level, needs a bit more tweaking

This is a great game but is anyone else having issues with their Joycons not working while in portable mode? It is so weird and frustrating because they work perfectly in the Switch menus but when I start this game my left joycon just doesn't work it is giving me some serious stress. I tried re-syncing and everything. I even bought brand new joycons and the issue persists.
I'm pretty sure you can only use the sticks to pan and buttons for hotkeys in portable mode.. you have to use touch to build

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
It's more about teaching design than it is about thorough crafted levels. That said many of the levels in the story mode are excellent and really unique. It's definitely worth a play. I dunno if I would recommend the game to someone just based on story mode alone though.
I didn't play a lot of the first game, at least the player-made levels because I seemed to always pick ones that were just frustrating and not 'fun' difficult designs. I've been watching a lot of streams and it seems like so far levels here appear more what I'd want, but I'd like to at least have a fall back which would be the story mode part. I'm not really one for designing levels, don't have the creativity for that.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
So, uh, how on Earth do you get the second key in Secret of the Dry Bones Shell? 😓

EDIT: Finally figured it out. 100%ed Story Mode, woohoo.

Last edited:

LiquidSword

Oct 25, 2017
My first level. The high risk path will give three 1 Ups. Short and sweet and I'm hoping it gets into the endless challenge rotation.

No Risk, No Reward
2PP-4SS-HLG

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York

The Jungle
02J-0HJ-JQF

Pnh8Cy3.jpg

This was a pretty cool and challenging level, but not to the point of frustration.

I'm surprised it only had 6 clears out of 215 attempts when I was through. I'm going to guess a lot of people gave up at the turtle jump which took me a few tries to get right.

Rask

Oct 25, 2017
Made my second level today. Made it with my niece in mind as something that might give her a little trouble but still be beatable. It's a standard level, no big tricks or secrets, just platforming. If you guys would be so kind and give it a play and some critiques, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

QCW-S43-N6G
I enjoyed this one. Simple, not too difficult, and fairly chill. After playing some of the crazy hard ones this was a cool drink of water in a hot day.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Well that's just the loading mechanics. Easy way to test for direction actually
The plant spawns first since it is closer to the player

Try spawning mario from above
If it was just the spawning mechanics the muncher should fall to the ground since when it spawns the seesaw is above its spawn point. The weird thing is that the muncher's spawn point is moving with the seesaw.

Last edited:

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This was a pretty cool and challenging level, but not to the point of frustration.

I'm surprised it only had 6 clears out of 215 attempts when I was through. I'm going to guess a lot of people gave up at the turtle jump which took me a few tries to get right.
Thanks man! Yeah, the turtle jump can be a little tricky and probably stumps some players, but I was happy with how it turned out. I think a lot of those deaths were my friend who was trying to set a fast speedrun record and died a lot in the process.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I made these levels these past few days. Just slowly learning the tools!

Desert Themed Level meant to be speed run: 809-S4D-5FF

Ikaruga inspired level: 04H CHH 2RG

Hirok2099

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just made my first level. Had a ton of fun making it. Here's the code in case anyone wants to try it out.

Brick house
TPW-0RS-VDF

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Moonside
"I have no patience when people interrupt me while i'm busy doing nothing."

ID:LTR-2G6-LQF

I'll review a bunch of levels tomorrow.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
If it was just the spawning mechanics the muncher should fall to the ground since when it spawns the seesaw is above its spawn point. The weird thing is that the muncher's spawn point is moving with the seesaw.

That's true.. Its like it loads the muncher but not how heavy it is.. or you are right in that the spawn point itself is attached to the seesaw?

Someone get Ceave on the line because this is quantum mechanics now