• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I agree with you in a sense, for exactly the same reason. There is only so much you can do with the tools we have had for 3 decades so it's natural to expand into other areas. My level features subtle symbolic insight as well, like if you really look for them you'll see that the spacing between two scenes (i.e. the "downtime" between two meaningful ideas) is exactly one screen apart, so that in exactly the same moment that one idea leaves you, the other one comes into your vision. I even made it so that you can see exactly 1 tile of the object part of puzzle 1 and 1 tile of an object part of puzzle 2 show at the very ends of the screen if you stand in the middle of them, as a way to denote that you're in some sort of a transition period. I spend way too much time on such nonsense haha. That said, I can't make a level whose foundation isn't that formula you described, it is the basis of what consitutes a good level to me but at the same time I'm not trying to tell others how to design their levels. Hope it doesn't come off that way! Some people enjoy overcoming a difficult challenge in a pixel platforming sense even if it doesn't offer any insight, which is cool, not my thing though. I enjoy seeing unexpected consequences of combining two ideas that seemingly wouldn't result in anything meaningful, that's when I get really excited for some reason.
Oh no for sure, I'm even a bit worried I was coming off that way haha. I figure I'm also somewhat projecting my feelings towards the nsmb series onto levels that are more traditionally designed even though I do get a kick out of them.

Your levels sound fun though!

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
The conclusion of World 4 sees the player entering The Thwomp King's castle!
Would some kind folks test out the ending boss battle for me to see if they like it?

4-4 The Thwomp King's Domain - 463-W82-YNF

D-ppde2U8AAeX80.jpg

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
The only element I almost never use is Chain Chomps, because they feel too RNG for me to use in any situation except when there's just one and it's heavily telegraphed.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Would love to get some feedback on this one!

D-j4Nb7U8AU-M5e.jpg

Name: In search of a hammer
Difficulty: Easy-medium
Style: SM3DW, underground
Code: YRP-F97-0DG

In this course, you start at the finish line. The catch? The goal is entombed in hard blocks. Find the super hammer and make your way back in one piece!
I've been waiting to see someone get mileage out the hammer, this did it the right way by having its limited usage work as a second half of the stage power trip.

My first level using a sky tileset/template, and my first using a vertical section. This time I'm using Super Mario World's theme. As usual, there are three big coins to find, but always just feel free to do your best to get a world record instead. It's up to you!

4-3 Catching a Ride in the Skies
6H7-ML0-BYG

D-mMdLuUwAA1NMf.jpg

Here are my other levels so far.

1-1 Green Green Meadows - SC6-VBK-FBG
1-2 Coin Block Cavern - 15W-WXN-6RF
1-3 Mushroom Heights - PFJ-0RH-BMF
1-4 Bowser's Fiery Fortress - YKQ-1ND-5WF
2-1 Cat Mario's on the Prowl - THJ-GNG-3FF
2-2 Donut Lift Caves - 3LP-1VY-GCG
2-3 Barry Boo's Horror House -
2-4 Boom Boom's Sky Deck - 30S-C62-7XF
3-1 Sunburnt Sands - C4L-00K-FFF
3-2 A Cool Dip in the Oasis - MJL-SR0-2GG
3-3 Over Sunburnt Skies - WB7-R0Q-D9G
3-4 Kamek's Perilous Pyramid - RSF-6DD-5YG
4-1 Land of the Giants - 9CS-H5C-1MG
4-2 Waltz of the Giant Wigglers - 34N-LTT-PFF
I should probably start from the beginning at some point, it'll be cool to see the progression.
Buuut I went and played this stage anyway, the hidden area by the checkpoint was well done, I didn't clock it until my second attempt.
Also one of the more interesting uses i've seen of the angry sun where its predictable pattern worked well with the other elements in play.
Submission for ResetEra's Official Level Competition

Meownster Hunter - LCG-K4R-GGG

Explore the wild frontier and hunt your prey. Beware the Meownster's lair!
This is an "open area" course that set's you off on a hunt for 12 Skipsqueaks. Prove your worth to the Hunter's guild! Stop by base camp and equip yourself with one of two different weapons, the dual clawed cat gear or the ranged fire thrower. Travel between three base camps through a fast travel pipe and discover various flora and fauna.

Hunter Tips;
-Never leave camp without a weapon and return to camp frequently if you find yourself without one.

-Don't bother the beehives and they won't bother you.

-Blue mushrooms lend a soft bouncy base but the more mature one's sprout extra vicious growths.

-This jungle's flooded ground breeds aquatic life. The rare Green Cheep Cheep is an extra special specimen sought after for it's "shimmer".

-Porcupuffers are among the most dangerous creatures, hiding in trees will keep Hunters safe.

-The underground is a fragile ecosystem, beware to preserve its state or bad luck may befall you.

-In the far reaches of the jungle's basin dwells a menacing Charvaargh so invulnerable even the water cannot extinguish its flame.

-Beware the ferocious Meownster which enjoys capturing the very prey you seek. It encases its meals for later consumption.
Only the bravest of Hunter's should do battle with the beast, those who run away live to fight another day.

65821955_10158619531598989_3780453900683837440_n.jpg

I got trapped in between the immovable stems of a piranha creeper at 10/12 mice, I'm not sure how it happened either.
FatTotalDrever-size_restricted.gif

(if only mine was as noble as death by rajang and not time out by spiky stems)

I did think for a moment that you couldn't get back to the earlier areas, but then found the sub area reminiscent of a linking cave in monster hunter which was a neat touch.
Also the yellow spike blocks as bee hives is soooo good, I may steal it one day.

Sorry I couldn't add a completion to it, perhaps later!

Hey y'all! Finally back with my 5th level. I wish I could say that the reason this one has taken me the longest sofar is because of how great it is, but really I had a lot of trouble and ended up majorly reworking the level multiple times. It's not my favorite of all the ones I've created but I'm still pleased with it and would love for any feedback as usual!

The Golden Path - XJX-48F-WWF

I feel so rich right now.
It was an interesting approach to have the coins outline the paths to the pink coins, I guess my feedback is that the idea in general could have a kinda neat thematic centre by having you start in the middle of the open area via a sub area pipe with the locked door right there and the coin paths all sprawling off from there adding a choose your (golden) path touch and also having the locked door goal immediately in sight.
I say this with personal bias because that's how I did coin collecting stages in the first game, but hey I stole that from Nintendo anyway with stuff like the World 4 fort of Yoshi's Island.

I went nuts and made three levels today, well only one if you don't count ports/updates of old stages, but I digress...

Scorched Tower Ruins: 67F-421-6RF
I'm so glad they added vertical sub-areas. Seriously, one of the best additions and such a simple one. I finally get to make a "rising lava chasing Mario" level, give it a shot and let me know what y'all think! I also ported and updated my old Cheep-Cheep River and Retro Road courses from SMM1, with the former getting a minor overhaul with the new forest theme and the latter just getting some minor difficulty tweaks. The bottom two are the courses I posted earlier, my Twitter has videos of them.

Cheep-Cheep River Remix: GCC-H6N-4MG
Retro Road Redux: RVQ-8HS-R1G
Three Dee Road: 7QJ-GV1-NRF
Spiny Central: TCS-FKL-WQG

Free first clears/world records for anyone giving them a shot at this point. Ha! I'm trying to play any levels I catch in the thread as it's still moving relatively fast!
This is like a NSMB tower stage if they actually required wall jumps, neat! and I was oddly pleased at the restraint of having one dry bones on the middle platform of those three moving ones at one point, I feel like some would just go "no it needs one on EVERY platform".

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
The whole real game design blueprint of INTRODUCE GIMMICK -> MAKE PROGRESSIVELY HARDER INTEGRATIONS OF GIMMICK -> COMBINE GIMMICK WITH OTHER MECHANICS -> FINAL EXAM BEFORE FLAGPOLE is obvs smart and good in normal games but if you make mario maker levels this way you're a cop
I agree, people shouldn't need to be introduced to most gimmicks now! You're free to go a little wild in design.

On the other hand looking at the deaths on my latest stage people are dying to the first skipsqueak, so...

iag

Oct 27, 2017
Just got the super hammer on story mode ... And made a SteamWorld Dig based level. If anyone wanna try: D2Y-8MJ-5NF.

And if anyone wanna play a puzzle, my level from the morning has astonishing 0 plays yet ... 6RW-19G-NPF

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
My dream is to be able to copy/paste these level codes into the Nintendo Switch Online app and cue up downloads that are sent directly to my Switch when I fire it up.

Instead I'm having to create a note on my iPhone with all these levels that I have to manually search for each time.

First world problems but seems like such an obvious use of the mobile app

Mr. Gold

Jul 1, 2019
To me it's common sense if someone plays your level and gives it a like, you return the favor by going through the list of people who liked your level, click on their profile, and play one of their levels as a thank you and leave a like as long as some level of effort has been displayed. But nobody does this. I played, finished and liked over 100 stages that have 0 plays on purpose and literally none of them have done this. Maybe they don't know you can do this? That way alot of people would get plays on their levels.

That's really awesome of you. I feel like there must be two many courses coming up for players to play them all. Like, I uploaded a course and it hasn't been played, am I assume it is to be buried then? Is there a method of searching for courses with 0 playthroughs other than clicking new? I may try and knock out a few courses for new levels in between playing sessions if it's not too complicated.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
Nice job! Awesome level. Everything clicked nicely.

Very cool how the thwomp acts on water and how you can have the thwomp in water and Mario on land.
I haven't beat the level yet but I really love the idea of using the thwomp as a coaster. Great stuff.

I got the WW on your one jump stage. Definitely following you!!

Thanks for the <3s guys, still getting the hang of stage creation

Chauzu I've been grinding out your cat descent level , it's hard but really satisfying when you get the flow right. I've been playing portable and I'm not sure if my joycon triggers are dropping inputs or my timing is bad on the dashes but sometimes I feel like I miss them for seemingly no reason.

Mr. Gold

Jul 1, 2019
My dream is to be able to copy/paste these level codes into the Nintendo Switch Online app and cue up downloads that are sent directly to my Switch when I fire it up.

Instead I'm having to create a note on my iPhone with all these levels that I have to manually search for each time.

I hate to say this but the manually searching / taking photos of codes with my phone is extremely limiting in my desire to do new levels. Almost akin to manually changing a cartridge on my Switch :P

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, here's the first in what I'm hoping will become a series of literary themed levels. This one's an ode to Upton Sinclair. Mario visits Bowser's Meat packing plant and learns of the horrors contained within. Been working on this one for awhile and it'll probably end up being my contest submission unless y'all hate it.

The Jungle
02J-0HJ-JQF

Pnh8Cy3.jpg

EDIT: Had the course ID wrong.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the <3s guys, still getting the hang of stage creation

Chauzu I've been grinding out your cat descent level , it's hard but really satisfying when you get the flow right. I've been playing portable and I'm not sure if my joycon triggers are dropping inputs or my timing is bad on the dashes but sometimes I feel like I miss them for seemingly no reason.
Oh, thanks for putting time into that level! Let me know if you want any help at all, I'm happy to make vids.

Dash is a bit finnicky, rule of thumb is that you sometimes have to wait an extra moment to do it. I'd never used Cat Maio before making this level so it was frustrating sometimes haha.

Oct 28, 2017
Going live again in 15 minutes to play more levels at https://www.twitch.tv/naar82

Can submit levels here

Will be streaming for a while today
Hey man. Saw you play my course. Right, if I give you a hint can you give the course another try please? The Yoshi level. Basically you were taking the completely wrong approach. I thought I made it as clear as possible with the arrow at the start. Please please give the level another go. Here's my hint. "Run Yoshi!" was put in the description for a reason. The arrow at the start is there for a reason.

Man it's real disheartening to see the level played like that. I genuinely didn't think the start would stump people that bad.

Please dude. Try it again.

My takeaway from this? That mushroom I gave was misleading. I see why you tried what you did. I only gave the mushroom in case the player makes a mistake. Some room for error. It absolutely is not necessary.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, finally finished my third course.

Thwomp's Scaffolding Scramble
VZiOxyE.jpg

0BG-5RJ-5NF
Description: Foreman Thwomp says hardhats are required but the workers can't find them!

Decided to give a maze level a go. It's not difficult by any means but I just wanted to make a really simple, Mario 3 esque maze, set in what is supposed to look like an under construction tower.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017

VZiOxyE.jpg

0BG-5RJ-5NF
Description: Foreman Thwomp says hardhats are required but the workers can't find them!

Decided to give a maze level a go. It's not difficult by any means but I just wanted to make a really simple, Mario 3 esque maze, set in what is supposed to look like an under construction tower.

This looks AWESOME.

EDIT: Incredibly satisfying level with wonderful aesthetics. Clever maze level!

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Guys seriously I feel like such fucking shit now. Seeing my level played on stream and seeing the player strugggle that much. Man I didn't intend that. I wanted a eureka moment for players to happen without too much time and I feel like a failure.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Guys seriously I feel like such fucking shit now. Seeing my level played on stream and seeing the player strugggle that much. Man I didn't intend that. I wanted a eureka moment for players to happen without too much time and I feel like a failure.

Oh, don't feel like shit or a failure! Just take it a great means to change your level up and improve it--make it even better! Use the knowledge of that player's struggle and think about how you can make the level easier or more intuitive for the player. :)

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Clear rates for easy ass stages are very low though. Are this many people that bad at Mario?

My first stage was intentionally hard (but only 20 seconds long), but my second was dead easy and still people are having trouble clearing it.

It's definitely a bit offputting and makes me wanna make super easy stages.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
The network play is among the worst I've seen in terms of lag, even out of Nintendo. It's a shame too, because the concept itself is great.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The whole real game design blueprint of INTRODUCE GIMMICK -> MAKE PROGRESSIVELY HARDER INTEGRATIONS OF GIMMICK -> COMBINE GIMMICK WITH OTHER MECHANICS -> FINAL EXAM BEFORE FLAGPOLE is obvs smart and good in normal games but if you make mario maker levels this way you're a cop
Yeah, I think this was parroted so much during MM1 design talk that it's just taken as gospel and repeated ad nauseum. It's a legit way of designing levels, but it's not the only way to design them.

I think the bigger issue when it comes to staying true to Mario design philosophy is making a level where people are required to have a powerup/do something a specific way or else get fucked. Eg use a p-switch and get through a blocked pipe, light a bob-omb with a fireball whatever. It's very un-Mario like, but it's also super limiting. Every time I'm about to do something like that I stop, because watching people play levels and getting feedback on levels makes it increasingly clear that most people aren't very quick on the uptake. You can always put a pipe that constantly spews the item out, but unlimited power ups also feels like it rubs against that philosophy. It would be nice if we could choose to reset blocks upon rentry to a room for this reason.
I was actually thinking about this yesterday, like you know you sometimes play a stage like say that one on/off switch stage that was sitting atop the popular courses for the past few days, and it's like a reeeaaaaal good take on that design philosophy so I'm thinking "yeah, that's genuinely good....but something just ain't hitting the spot for me".

And in a way I think that we've got enough Mario stages by safe design out there with actual Mario games, deep down one of the great things about MM to me is that you can take the training wheels off and at last fully explore concepts. SMW for instance is a game with a lot of cool mechanics and quirks to it...that the actual game barely requires, thus the first Mario Maker game was like a triumphant moment of being able to apply the cape, upwards throwing and spin jumps to their fuller potential without having to be part of the kaizo scene.

The blueprint of "introduce>ramp up>mix up>finale is a good base for sure, but I personally find when making a stage like that gunning for a nice positive clear rate I'm also sometimes kinda unexcited by what I'm doing.

And yeah power up puzzle design is in an odd spot, it works for (most) 3D mario because health works differently there.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Hey man. Saw you play my course. Right, if I give you a hint can you give the course another try please? The Yoshi level. Basically you were taking the completely wrong approach. I thought I made it as clear as possible with the arrow at the start. Please please give the level another go. Here's my hint. "Run Yoshi!" was put in the description for a reason. The arrow at the start is there for a reason.

Man it's real disheartening to see the level played like that. I genuinely didn't think the start would stump people that bad.

Please dude. Try it again.

My takeaway from this? That mushroom I gave was misleading. I see why you tried what you did. I only gave the mushroom in case the player makes a mistake. Some room for error. It absolutely is not necessary.

That's why play testing is important. It means you can further improve level design

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019

You get me

Wozzer

QA Architect at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Submission for ResetEra's Official Level Competition

Bullet Bill Bounce!

2R8-KNC-5RG

Was an absolute nightmare to make as the timing had to be perfect but difficulty wise it should be far easier than the last one, and its short!

7zcN1Ar.png

I'd like to have submitted my first level, but given the difficulty it'd probably be unwise given I expect most won't past the first jump. Anyone looking to play that level still can find it here /sweat

picmar

Oct 28, 2017
Posted this one earlier and got a couple of plays but no clears. I've bundled the more challenging elements into a bonus objective for 3 lives, and softened the challenge of the casual play. It's my first level and it'd be great if someone with a bit of experience (or anyone for that matter) could give it a go and provide some feedback, or just a like to get it in rotation. Would love to try some more ERA levels so hit me up if you got one that needs a playtest, especially if you're new to the game!

Out of Order II
NNQ-9M0-YDG
The ski lift is closed but Mario has other ideas...

Cheers

rubbishmonkey

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished making a side scrolling shooter...

D-pzQgYXkAAoNFX.jpg

I lost my groove a little bit when I maxed out the enemy limit and had to re-jig things
(Also I was bored at work hence the boxart and my photoshop skills are better than my Mario Making)

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I got trapped in between the immovable stems of a piranha creeper at 10/12 mice, I'm not sure how it happened either.
FatTotalDrever-size_restricted.gif

(if only mine was as noble as death by rajang and not time out by spiky stems)

I did think for a moment that you couldn't get back to the earlier areas, but then found the sub area reminiscent of a linking cave in monster hunter which was a neat touch.
Also the yellow spike blocks as bee hives is soooo good, I may steal it one day.

Sorry I couldn't add a completion to it, perhaps later!

Oh no! I thought I got those parts with the creeper right so something like that couldn't happen! So sorry!

Thanks for playing! Glad a fellow monster Hunter could check it out:)

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Posted this one earlier and got a couple of plays but no clears. I've bundled the more challenging elements into a bonus objective for 3 lives, and softened the challenge of the casual play. It's my first level and it'd be great if someone with a bit of experience (or anyone for that matter) could give it a go and provide some feedback, or just a like to get it in rotation. Would love to try some more ERA levels so hit me up if you got one that needs a playtest, especially if you're new to the game!

Out of Order II
NNQ-9M0-YDG
The ski lift is closed but Mario has other ideas...

Cheers

Clever concept. I liked it a good deal. I liked how the On switch not only "turned on" the lift, but it also destroyed the Bob-Ombs and bllcks so the player couldn't advance without hitting the switch. The ending slopes were fun, and I died the first two times without realizing I should just remain holding down to get the most height and distance. Good work!

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

VZiOxyE.jpg

0BG-5RJ-5NF

Was good fun. Loved the theming and honestly got stumped for just slightly longer than I'd wanna admit. Shot you a like.

Deleted member 24540

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's really awesome of you. I feel like there must be two many courses coming up for players to play them all. Like, I uploaded a course and it hasn't been played, am I assume it is to be buried then? Is there a method of searching for courses with 0 playthroughs other than clicking new? I may try and knock out a few courses for new levels in between playing sessions if it's not too complicated.

I think the new courses section is bugged? It only shows levels that were uploaded three days ago at the time you check it.

I also tried the reddit exchange thread as an experiment and it somewhat works but even there you will get buried and many don't return the favor, they don't think of it as an exchange like the name of the thread suggests, as in I'm doing you a favor and I expect something in return, but more like "hey glad you liked my level! kthxbye!"

This isn't just about getting likes per se, but to get the much needed feedback.

Try playing endless mode but in the easiest setting, and you'll find those random nonsense and incomplete levels put together in 5 minutes by kids. Some of those levels had a surprising amount of likes too, like 20 and stuff. It's just so weird. I think the main issue is that there are just too many levels being uploaded. Everyone is making these days!

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Apologies for reposting but I posted my level in the dead of night and I'd like to give it another chance. It's made for Evangelion fans, if there are any around here. Don't worry, no plot spoilers. :P

"Rogue MPEs have captured Rei, and Shinji is trapped in his Eva's pen. You must pilot Unit 02 as Asuka and defeat the nine MPEs. You can also try to save the 'lives' of your 2 fellow pilots."

J6G-NKX-DHF
There are also two worthwhile secret alternate routes that took quite a while to get just right and they have some neat Eva references in them. They aren't too tricky to find, but the execution is a bit tight.

Thanks for taking the time if you decide to play my course!

Last edited:

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Ratz n Cloudz: L9T-1CG-QPF

Tried to make a short, moderately difficult level with a limited but cohesive aesthetic. Nothin fancy, but it was fun to make. Gracias if you give it a go!

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Apologies for reposting but I posted my level in the dead of night and I'd like to give it another chance. It's made for Evangelion fans, if there are any around here. Don't worry, no plot spoilers. :P

There are also two worthwhile secret alternate routes that took quite a while to get just right and they have some neat Eva references in them. They aren't too tricky to find, but the execution is a bit tight.

Thanks for taking the time if you decide to play my course!
Loved the level and the fact that you got cruel angel's thesis in there. Really awesome work with some true creativity and very evocative theming.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really happy with this level, seeing the theme with all the pipes made me want to make a plumbing themed level, I really like the idea of a whole bunch of Goombas stuck in all the pipes under the Mushroom Kingdom and if Mario doesn't go down there and do something about it the kingdom will flood. Kind of swings back around to Mario being a Plumber again.

D-p4cegUcAA_g1K.jpg

There's Goombas In Yer Pipes!
NXX-DNN-3RG

jarosh

Nov 30, 2017
is there really nothing that can more or less replicate on/off blocks in the 3d world style?

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I've made my first Mario Maker level ever! It's a pretty standard castle level with fire and all that stuff. Also Yoshis. Not a very creative level I guess, but it's my first, and I think it has a few cool moments!

Yoshi's Burning Nest
BHN-LGX-09G

Hint: Spin jump is good.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
I deleted and reuploaded my third level. I removed the cheese and made some small changes. There is still a way to choose a faster route, but I consider that a solid speedrunning strat, Before you missed out 50 % of the level. Overall I can sleep better now
Removed some silly "casual players could die here" traps. It had over 300 likes, but I am quite certain there were also several Boos, since my Maker Score actually went down a bit while the level was up. Also by reading the comments, there were some confusing parts, which I slightly changed. If you played and or liked the level, I would be grateful If you return to it again. The ID is the new one.

Raptured Ruins
Revisit the remnants of an ancient fortress up in the sky.

ID: NX2-3D1-LPG
Game-Style: SMB3
Theme: Sky
Difficulty: Easy-Normal
Secrets: 2

d8dd36098760e1e056b87526a791c53a.png

Interesting, maybe there's a reducing rate of return for an individual level past a certain point. That would make sense actually, because someone with 10 levels that all have decent amounts of likes is probably a better maker than someone with 9 bad levels and one viral hit. (Not you obviously!)
I'm also curious how the popular levels chart works, because it's not just descending in order of likes, or even likes to play ratio. That would make sense for the weekly chart, but it's the same for the all time chart too. I've even seen levels on the lower end of the all time regional list with both less likes, and less likes to play, than one of my levels, but mine's not on the list (not that I'm bitter or anything!)

I completely agree. There is either a cap or like you said a diminishing rate of returns.
The leaderboard is somewhat confusing.

Last edited:

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I'm really excited to play some levels I find in here!

My level isn't very good, and I'm profoundly bad at Mario, but I figured that I'd upload it and post about it here, just for fun. It's called "Hydra" and it's based on a Toto song. The inspiration came from the fact that, in the song's video (from circa 1980), the guitarist wears red overalls over a blue shirt, and the band plays in a sewer cave with green pipes:

Anyway, the level's code is DND-TQ0-11H. I hope I can get some feedback on it! I tried to evoke as much of a sense of adventure and induce as many tense moments as possible. Keep in mind, however, that it's really, really easy. A friend of mine beat it in fewer than two minutes.

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
gotta love the car multiplayer levels that ends with someone ditching the vehicle and reaching the flagpole first.

That's how you know you need to go back to the drawing board...

Jan 6, 2019
My level, "A bouncy airship for shoe".
36W-H8G-8GG

Started out making an easy level but the end turned out a little intense lol

sugarless

Nov 2, 2017
I made a level where you travel one direction while seeing all sorts of enemies and traps blocked away by the red blocks, reach the end and switch to blue and go back with all new obstacles and all those enemies falling into place. My first go at this, please give it a shot and try to speed run.

THERE AND BACK AGAIN: M61-2FP-GRG

I really enjoyed this! The screen where the snake block was not visible yet felt a little leap-of-faith to me, although I suppose the Koopa was there so I would kick it and see it runs across the bottom edge to show it's safe, but I can't resist grabbing any and all Koopa shells so I didn't see that guidance at first LOL.

I thought personally that if maybe the Boom-Boom was at the midpoint, and you got the key and had to bring it with you on the way back, it might add some tension from seeing the key hang off you.

IamPeacock

Feb 9, 2018
Belgium
Boys and girls, I present you... Bob-omb! Clear the way!

4J2-0SS-V5G

I've been working really hard to make this level.
Every single moment I normally put into gaming, has been put into building this level.

"Mario is trapped deep inside Bowser's lair and needs the help of an unexpected fiend to find a way out. But beware of the koopa King guarding the exit."

It's a themed level with some puzzle-solving, combined with some platforming areas.
Hope you enjoy it, don't forget to provide some feedback.

Okay, so i made some changes to the level thanks to some feedback.
Feel like it's more complete now.

Hope some of you take the time to play it. :-)