• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
A gripe I have with the course search option: you can search for things by clear rate (low first), or popularity (high first), but there doesn't seem to be a way to sort in the opposite direction, for easy or unpopular levels

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
I love the idea of the level, but I got stuck in this small room with three springs and the arm... couldt get out so I gave up :(

Oh no! :(
You have to grab one of the Buzzy Beetles that are coming out of the pipe on the right and throw it in the hole where the Springs are. The first Beetle will get snatched by the arm, so you throw another one that will crash against the first and push the ON/OFF switch

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I love the addition of Boom Boom

It lets people get the "I MUST END WITH A BOSS" thing out of their system without requiring a billion hit Bowser snooze fest. Just three hits on a super easy boss and you're on your way

Phatzo

Mar 22, 2018
Here is my second upload. It is a bunch of small puzzles in each room you go to. QP8-V92-PXF
Hope you guys and gals enjoy!

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
I know there is a lot of code posting, but just wanted to ask what everyone thought of the game... For me I never played MM1 and this is my GOTY without a doubt. The trifecta of creating, story mode, and playing other's courses is like pure candy to me being a huge 2d platforming fan. Didn't even think I would create but not it may be favorite thing I've done in a long time. Long story short I love. What do you guys think who have played MM1?

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Am imagining it or does this game have a bug where sometimes everything just feels floatier? Like all of a sudden my SMB3 level feels like I'm playing Little Big Planet. I've noticed it once or twice since I've started playing.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
D-l3HSoUwAA4iNY.jpg:large

Made a new course! This one is a lot more relaxed with a goal of getting 200 coins before making it to the end. I wanted it to feel more like a traditional Mario level than my past courses, just with an emphasis on the swinging claws and coin collecting. Would appreciate anyone trying it out and giving feedback!

Coin Claw Collectathon
JQB-XB3-PXF

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Just saw there is quite a nice cheese in my newest level.
But, I won't reupload it. I embrace the speedrunning. And you will miss out if you cheese!!!

There was build to that P block usage, I was straight up beginning to get antsy "when do I get to hit the swiiiitch?"
Funny how it inverts the previous sections from a leisurely stroll to something you have to somewhat quickly scramble through
Haha, I know and love that feeling. Thanks!

This is really good, the dual layer design, like in Suntouch, is so clever. I love it when all the strange bits come together and make sense at the end. I don't think it's as easy as you think though! The final buzzy beetle ride will kill alot of people!
Thank you so much. You are probably right. It's currently at 8.55 %. Oh, well. :D
And just played your newest level. Was kinda sweating, when time was running short and I only killed 5 Goombas so far. Good stuff, as always!

Would really appreciate some feedback for my newest level:
Submarine Treasure Retrieval
[ D40-K55-CYG ]
Awesome level. I think I still have the WR for this one. You can be very proud of yourself. This might blow up, so expect a lot of likes.
One thing that could have made it even better would be some cool scroll locks. Would have been very fitting for those small puzzle rooms.

Last edited:

Runner

Nov 1, 2017

One more from me tonight that involves using two defense shells, that's double the shells in mario maker 1 you can use

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for playing my level! Managed to capture your reaction at the end of it! :)

Thanks for playing my weird-ass level!

Thanks for playing my level! Got to fix it up a little before submitting it for the competition.

No problem! You guys had some great levels!

I always like to look for new stuff to play for mario maker. It's why I stream in the first place

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Sky city has a bit of a difficulty spike with that jump with the tornado that lifts up the chomper fella right before the second checkpoint when you don't have the tail.

I was discussing earlier in this thread how I knew there was a difficulty spike and whether I should cut it. Ultimately I just liked the mechanic too much so I said I'd live with it. (This def cost me a lot of likes lol)

And you can skip the tornado at the end and just jump on the platform, not sure if that is intentional.

I figured it out after but it sorta works for speed runs. Since there are the 2 Thwomps there the hope was people wouldn't initially try.

But great level lots of fun. The bonus area is very clever.

Thank you. Tbh I didn't think many people would play the level thorough enough to even find it.

I appreciated the feedback. I'm always looking for ways to improve my designs.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
I made a wicked easy Mario Maker 2 course if anyone wants to try it. GCF-X2Y-38G

My first time and I'm not good at making things, but I tried to make it easy and fun. I don't really like difficult levels so I wanted to add to the fun and relaxing variety.

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
I just finished uploading a course that I've been working on the past couple days if anyone would be willing to check it out. It's not super challenging (at least I didn't think it was), but it's just something I thought would be a cool idea, and I hope some people like it.

olv6sTA.jpg

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
After 5634 attempts in total across 638 players, GDQ Mario speedrunner beat the level after 3hours. Hell of a ride watching someone of his caliber struggle for so long;

Sad I wasn't able to get this.. but at least it was someone legit like dram so I don't feel that bad

Oct 25, 2017
The difference in difficulty between easy and normal endless seems weird. Easy is easy but normal I sometimes or a lot of times get hard af levels and lose all my lives on them.

Deleted member 19782

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is that mushroom at the start meant to be a trap? It's pretty difficult to get it, then duck under the fire dragon, then make it up to the next level. An experienced player can do it, but an experienced player isn't the one who needs it! Anyway, I liked the level. I wish it had been longer!

Thank you for playing!

It can be tricky, just as you mention, but the player can get the Super Mushroom just in time before the lava reaches them. I'll keep that in mind for my next level.

Jul 1, 2019
After 5634 attempts in total across 638 players, GDQ Mario speedrunner beat the level after 3hours. Hell of a ride watching someone of his caliber struggle for so long;

Yeah, Dram is a very good mario player; good to know that he struggled as well. I only had time to watch his clear of it, and yup, I was getting really close. It's interesting that he did the spring section right before the midway differently from me. Instead of grabbing a second yoshi, I ran back down and up the slope so I could eat the second spring and use that to make the jump.

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
I made a wicked easy Mario Maker 2 course if anyone wants to try it. GCF-X2Y-38G

My first time and I'm not good at making things, but I tried to make it easy and fun. I don't really like difficult levels so I wanted to add to the fun and relaxing variety.

I'll play this. I need a breather after getting my but kicked by super expert...

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
This game is amazing. What a great community.

For my second attempt I decided to take a stab at a shooter-style level. I was initially going to replicate Sky Chase Zone from Sonic 2, but it became something else entirely. Check it out, I'd appreciate any feedback.

Flight of the Plumber
B51-HL3-4WF

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
It's puzzle-platforming, not "puzzles" per se. The oldschool NES Mega Man challenges with those blocks that appear/disappear where the 'puzzle' aspect is to recognize the pattern, memorize it, and get the timings right. The rest is platforming skill. You can make them be super challenging and take several attemps to beat yet be 100% risk free by letting you fall to safe grounds if you fail.

An example I really enjoyed from MM2 (though this one wasn't risk free, but you can easily turn it into one that is without diluting the essence) is the currently third highest level in the 'popular' category, where the maker created a room filled only with on/off blocks called Switch x Switch. Again, instead of lava beneath you, you can just be dropped to safe grounds that lead to the start of the challenge where you can place a switch to naturally reset the puzzle. Obstacle courses that allow you to instantly retry a challenge and don't force you to redo those you've already beaten are so much fun to play I think.

I don't mind dying per se; in Celeste it's actually the quickest way to reset the situation if you fail. It's really just about keeping momentum up and letting the player restart the challenge immediately. Also the music doesn't start over when you die. I died over 7k times in that game and it's my favorite of last year!

The Celeste dev made some levels in MM2 and they are mostly fantastic, with bite-sized challenges in between the checkpoints, and jumps that are tricky to figure out, but relatively straight forward to do once you know the solution.

Ah ok, I see what you're saying now, cool. Also reminds me I need to check out some of those levels by Celeste's creator.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
How do I keep a consistent song but only in a sub-area? The only way I can get a song to consistently play is by attaching it to Mario, but then it plays in both the main area and sub-area.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, here it goes. Sharing my first level. I'm a little hesitant because I see so many other amazing levels here and I've been doubting my ability to create something interesting and compelling. But I know I'm not going to improve with course designing unless I get feedback. So here is Inversion, which revolves around On/Off switches.

KAL3E2t.png

If it sucks, is too easy, too hard, poorly designed, great, or whatever, please let me know.

Oct 27, 2017

One more from me tonight that involves using two defense shells, that's double the shells in mario maker 1 you can use

I can't. I mean that in the nicest way possible — your level is INSANE.

D-l3HSoUwAA4iNY.jpg:large

Made a new course! This one is a lot more relaxed with a goal of getting 200 coins before making it to the end. I wanted it to feel more like a traditional Mario level than my past courses, just with an emphasis on the swinging claws and coin collecting. Would appreciate anyone trying it out and giving feedback!

Coin Claw Collectathon
JQB-XB3-PXF
This was GREAT. It felt like a true Mario level but with a different focus. Really great balanced difficulty.
Second upload. Platformer but not too hard really.

Bagel Plains 2-1
KT1-WXV-H2G
Woof. Juuuuuust hard enough. I posted a note halfway through, how do you hit that on/off switch? It seems impossible!! Anyway, great job :)
Here is my second upload. It is a bunch of small puzzles in each room you go to. QP8-V92-PXF
Hope you guys and gals enjoy!
Fun! I was legit stumped in one of the rooms.
I got real stoned and made this. Enjoy Bowser Jr's Magic Mystery Cave...

J8T-T71-64G
hahaha the key took me YEARS to understand how to get. super fun and fast level.

AceyPrime

May 16, 2018
Try my latest level - feedback appreciated!

Ski Slope Silliness
SMW style snow theme (love that music!)
Can you find all 5 pink coins to access the hidden treasures of this level?
J2D-G01-6DF

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, here it goes. Sharing my first level. I'm a little hesitant because I see so many other amazing levels here and I've been doubting my ability to create something interesting and compelling. But I know I'm not going to improve with course designing unless I get feedback. So here is Inversion, which revolves around On/Off switches.

KAL3E2t.png

If it sucks, is too easy, too hard, poorly designed, great, or whatever, please let me know.
I think this has such a great one more try feel — you have to be SO precise but it feels so great when you get a little further. I think it's a little too hard for me — like there should be a checkpoint right after the first on/off box even. I have NO idea how to get the second switch, it feels like it's one block too far always. Really cool idea and level though. :)

anomiebot

Jul 3, 2019
Would love to get some feedback on this one!

D-j4Nb7U8AU-M5e.jpg

Name: In search of a hammer
Difficulty: Easy-medium
Style: SM3DW, underground
Code: YRP-F97-0DG

In this course, you start at the finish line. The catch? The goal is entombed in hard blocks. Find the super hammer and make your way back in one piece!

Negative

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I'm brand new to Mario Maker so these aren't anything special, but these are the first 4 courses I've made.

T9K-G9H-YVF - Simple SMB3 course
5CW-N9D-RNF - Simple SMB3 course
LTR-QGR-R5G - Underwater SMW course
2YF-N1M-1NF - Simple SMW course

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Really wish you could turn off the night time effects but keep the background. The SMB3 castle uses alternate ground tiles at night but there is 0 chance I am using the swimming at night physics.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
My first level using a sky tileset/template, and my first using a vertical section. This time I'm using Super Mario World's theme. As usual, there are three big coins to find, but always just feel free to do your best to get a world record instead. It's up to you!

4-3 Catching a Ride in the Skies
6H7-ML0-BYG

D-mMdLuUwAA1NMf.jpg

Here are my other levels so far.

1-1 Green Green Meadows - SC6-VBK-FBG
1-2 Coin Block Cavern - 15W-WXN-6RF
1-3 Mushroom Heights - PFJ-0RH-BMF
1-4 Bowser's Fiery Fortress - YKQ-1ND-5WF
2-1 Cat Mario's on the Prowl - THJ-GNG-3FF
2-2 Donut Lift Caves - 3LP-1VY-GCG
2-3 Barry Boo's Horror House -
2-4 Boom Boom's Sky Deck - 30S-C62-7XF
3-1 Sunburnt Sands - C4L-00K-FFF
3-2 A Cool Dip in the Oasis - MJL-SR0-2GG
3-3 Over Sunburnt Skies - WB7-R0Q-D9G
3-4 Kamek's Perilous Pyramid - RSF-6DD-5YG
4-1 Land of the Giants - 9CS-H5C-1MG
4-2 Waltz of the Giant Wigglers - 34N-LTT-PFF

Oct 27, 2017
My first level using a sky tileset/template, and my first using a vertical section. This time I'm using Super Mario World's theme. As usual, there are three big coins to find, but always just feel free to do your best to get a world record instead. It's up to you!

4-3 Catching a Ride in the Skies
6H7-ML0-BYG

D-mMdLuUwAA1NMf.jpg

Here are my other levels so far.

1-1 Green Green Meadows - SC6-VBK-FBG
1-2 Coin Block Cavern - 15W-WXN-6RF
1-3 Mushroom Heights - PFJ-0RH-BMF
1-4 Bowser's Fiery Fortress - YKQ-1ND-5WF
2-1 Cat Mario's on the Prowl - THJ-GNG-3FF
2-2 Donut Lift Caves - 3LP-1VY-GCG
2-3 Barry Boo's Horror House -
2-4 Boom Boom's Sky Deck - 30S-C62-7XF
3-1 Sunburnt Sands - C4L-00K-FFF
3-2 A Cool Dip in the Oasis - MJL-SR0-2GG
3-3 Over Sunburnt Skies - WB7-R0Q-D9G
3-4 Kamek's Perilous Pyramid - RSF-6DD-5YG
4-1 Land of the Giants - 9CS-H5C-1MG
4-2 Waltz of the Giant Wigglers - 34N-LTT-PFF
Really cool level. Felt DKC-y to me. :)

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Hey y'all! Finally back with my 5th level. I wish I could say that the reason this one has taken me the longest sofar is because of how great it is, but really I had a lot of trouble and ended up majorly reworking the level multiple times. It's not my favorite of all the ones I've created but I'm still pleased with it and would love for any feedback as usual!

The Golden Path - XJX-48F-WWF

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
God, I really don't know what NoA was thinking not bringing the stylus bundle over here. I can't just can't work the Maker tools with a regular controller at all. It's a clunky mess that was clearly designed to be touched instead.

Thank goodness for Amazon one day delivery! I ordered that Digiroot pen everyone was recommending so I can finally work on my first level in earnest tomorrow.

I'm a little surprised I don't hear more people singing the virtues of finger-based touch control building in this thread. That's what I've been using, and once you get used to it, it works great!

Using the controller to try and build? Sort of works, but it's a mess.

Using the Digiroot stylus? Yea, I bought it, it works, but then you have to fumble with the stylus whenever you wanna test a level, and I often wanna test a lot.

Using your finger? It's what capacitive touch screens were designed for, and it works fantastically. Trust me guys, try it. Yes, it may feel slightly weird at first, but I feel like it's absolutly the best way to build. I don't have tiny fingers, and I'm still able to be just as precise as I need to be.

I'm honestly befuddled why everyone seems to just assume that finger-based building won't work well. It totally does, it's totally precise once you get used to it, and I think it's absolutly the best way to go.

Jul 3, 2019
Hey this is my literal first post!
The agony of watching the level I slaved over for a whole day go completely un-played motivated me to stop lurking and actually join so cheers!

Y1V-7G7-01G
I tried to keep it in the true spirit of Mario games so don't expect anything "troll" or "kaizo" like.
Would love some feedback.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Hey y'all! Finally back with my 5th level. I wish I could say that the reason this one has taken me the longest sofar is because of how great it is, but really I had a lot of trouble and ended up majorly reworking the level multiple times. It's not my favorite of all the ones I've created but I'm still pleased with it and would love for any feedback as usual!

The Golden Path - XJX-48F-WWF

I liked this. Nice, breezy difficulty for the most part and clever concept!