• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Absent Breeze

Oct 25, 2017
Submission for ResetEra's Official Level Competition
D-hyBe9WwAAqQ_L

Welp finished my first level, not sure how it ranks up there difficulty wise and not sure if people can cheese it but its finished and that's what's important (right?)
Hardhats and bony bottoms: code WJ2-HNK-9GG.

Last edited:

Wozzer

QA Architect at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Crazy timing, saw your comment pop up right as I was about to get off.

Played for another hour and got the spinies down now. Got to the bomb ladder two times than timed out. Feels like I'm getting closer. Maybe tomorrow.

Oooh didn't anticipate the timer being an issue. Was considering re-uploading with a tighter timer after uploading with just under 2 minutes left on the clock, glad I didn't now lol

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a way to tell whether I've completed a stage? There's so many (great) on/off switch speed runs on the Popular list, it's getting hard to tell what I've done and what I haven't.

Also, does anyone know, from a speed running perspective, whether it's preferable to be running or jumping? It seems like there's no difference as long as I maintain my momentum, but I wanted to check with the experts.

Thanks for your help!

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
So is there anyway to figure out the actual clear rate on someone else's level?

It should show the clear rate when you click on a level before you hit the play button.

I'll be going live in 20 minutes and play more of your levels at twitch.tv/naar82

You can submit your levels here

And like I said before I won't do levels with less than 10% clear rate unless they are a puzzle level. I am NOT into kaizo perfect frame jumps and similar stuff

See you soon online!

Just a heads up but the level submit form is still closed.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SYjM74Z.jpg

Underwater Undying
HBS-SHM-L5G

My sixth level is also inspired by shoot 'em ups in that you have an autoscroll level with dangers coming your way. Except you don't shoot, you get to choose your own path from time to time, and get to explore a rich underwater world with pretty cool decorations and a surprising twist or two.

Safer path gets you to the end easier, harder choices give you enough coins for a 1-UP and then some. What are you gonna do in this minute or so of swim?

Have fun!

Not to spam myself, but can anyone test this? My level before this got almost a hundred plays in the first hours, this sits at 0 after over 12 despite my relatively good visibility, some people following me, etc.. Seems strange. Maybe the "dying" in the title made it not appear in searches or something?

Redstreak

Jan 17, 2018
It should show the clear rate when you click on a level before you hit the play button.

Just a heads up but the level submit form is still closed.

Right but the clear rate you first see from my understanding is like all attempted runs (where each time I die a new attempt is counted) over complete runs (and multiple completes are counted individually even if from the same player), I'm wondering if there's a way to see how many unique players beat the level (once) out of all the unique players attempted

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
For 20 bucks, that's not bad. I'm going to see if my 8Bitdo SNES controller works, but if not I'll probably pick this up.
I got the 8BitDo SN30 GP in red and I love it. Without it I wouldn't have been able to beat some of the 0.XX% clear rate levels that I managed to beat!

Right but the clear rate you first see from my understanding is like all attempted runs (where each time I die a new attempt is counted) over complete runs (and multiple completes are counted individually even if from the same player), I'm wondering if there's a way to see how many unique players beat the level (once) out of all the unique players attempted

Right. I don't think that's possible. For levels without checkpoints some people pause and restart the level to save a few seconds by not having to listen to the death jingle. That also skews the percentage.

Oct 26, 2017
Not to spam myself, but can anyone test this? My level before this got almost a hundred plays in the first hours, this sits at 0 after over 12 despite my relatively good visibility, some people following me, etc.. Seems strange. Maybe the "dying" in the title made it not appear in searches or something?

Did it, really enjoyable stuff. The Bullet Bill swarm coupled with the bouncy blocks is an inspired touch.

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks! At least it works. Odd because all my levels (including a very hard one that sits at <2% completion rate) got hundreds of plays fairly quickly, this one just didn't want to move off 0.

I've heard that someone has to play your level before it gets into rotation outside "New". Hopefully now you'll get some plays on it.

They're going to have to think of a better way of doing this. The "New" playlist is a hellscape and no one is going to look there when there's so much great shit in popular and hot.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
It's my favorite part!
So much so that I already know the name of the third part of my haunted house trilogy even though I have no clue what will be inside yet (except a couple of Boos).
I like to design around gameplay themes personally. I keep my environment themes consistent but it's always too simple.

Like, I have this don't leave the ground objective level with a primary emphasis on Fire Mario shooting enemies on slopes, a lot of nighttime floating goombas, some donut block and see-saw based traversal, and a mountainous setting. Don't know where to begin with the name.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard that someone has to play your level before it gets into rotation outside "New". Hopefully now you'll get some plays on it.

They're going to have to think of a better way of doing this. The "New" playlist is a hellscape and no one is going to look there when there's so much great shit in popular and hot.

Indeed, and just yesterday I was thinking I was "safe" because I post my maps regularly here, include them in the course list, send them over to my buddies, I have some people following me so they get notifications (I think), and so on. Yet this one just didn't want to move from 0 played. For comparison's sake, my 5th level got like 30 likes when I woke up in the morning after uploading it in the evening, this one didn't even get played in the same interval. We'll see how the numbers evolve now. Thanks a lot!

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
I like to design around gameplay themes personally. I keep my environment themes consistent but it's always too simple.

Like, I have this Don't leave the Ground objective level with a primary emphasis on Fire Mario shooting enemies on slopes, a lot of nighttime floating goombas, some donut block and see-saw based traversal, and a mountainous setting. Don't know where to begin with the name.

Firing Up Shrooms at Night, Between Donuts?
(Naming other people's levels is hard. ^^)

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
One of my levels got a weird like spike yesterday. It slowly rose up to around 80 likes and then suddenly jumped up to 130. Maybe it was just the stats lagging behind but it still seemed weird.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Spend $20, get this, feel better:
51DPyglSLGL._SX342_.jpg

Best 2D Switch controller. Pro Controller dpad is sus anyhow.
What controller is that? I got the 8bitdo SN30 Pro since everyone loves that controller but the d-pad is terrible. I'm probably going to return it. And the first party Pro Controller d-pad is not good either.

I don't know who to trust when it comes to d-pads.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of my levels got a weird like spike yesterday. It slowly rose up to around 80 likes and then suddenly jumped up to 130. Maybe it was just the stats lagging behind but it still seemed weird.

Yeah I think the stats update in (ir)regular intervals. My levels maybe stay the same for a few hours, then suddenly they have multiple new likes and dozens of new plays. I often have to restart the game to make sure it shows the updated info.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
What controller is that? I got the 8bitdo SN30 Pro since everyone loves that controller but the d-pad is terrible. I'm probably going to return it. And the first party Pro Controller d-pad is not good either.

I don't know who to trust when it comes to d-pads.

It's the Pokken pad. I think it's made by Hori. I've got one but I can't remember.

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
Everytime I search it I get tutorials of the night mode so I'm going to ask here.

How to do you turn on the spotlight mode? That visual effect where everything is dark expect a spotlight on Mario.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everytime I search it I get tutorials of the night mode so I'm going to ask here.

How to do you turn on the spotlight mode? That visual effect where everything is dark expect a spotlight on Mario.

Its the night mode in the haunted house theme.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
I came in here to talk about the story mode, but I see that's not happening at all. Lol. Well fair, it's Mario Maker after all.

I enjoyed story mode, but I'm at 100% and there are dozens of levels I haven't beat. Might play them for fun and a couple of costumes, but is there any point in getting so many coins now? Kinda wish you could buy costumes with them or something.

Guess I'll go try and make something worth submitting for the contest. I doubt it'll live up to the current standards.
Keep talking to the chief, there is more to build. I needed more coins until 119 out of 120 levels. You unlock something for it as well.

Also an unlock for beating all 120

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Made a new level - still learning. Not up to the level of some of you in here yet!

This ones got a bit of running, jumping, and shooting. There's a little shortcut in there too, but it is super tricky.

Give it a try if you're interested. It's pretty short and sweet.

FK2-KD9-YHG

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have 6 short courses sitting at 0 plays still, lol
I guess the system is to make it easier for the achievement "got first clear [x] times" to be gained for about everyone, but it kinda sucks that none of these will appear in endless or multiplayer unless someone bothers first.
(on that note if someone needs a couple of first clears, Y5X-PWB-40G is one and the profile has more, wink wink)

I've actually browsed the New Courses myself for the sake of getting the mii outfit, but the list doesn't refresh that often (not even after playing a different mode for like 30 minutes) so a lot of times I play a level only to see that suddenly 2 people beat me to it.
Ahwell. Sometimes there's some good stuff in there. And if it's some kaizo wannabe bullshit then atleast my low clear % means it won't be used in the easier endless run difficulties or whatever.

12obin

Oct 27, 2017
I created my first SMM2 level yesterday: The Big Fiver - KCB-7GS-1MG. It's a Super Mario 3D World themed level with 5 one-screen challenges each based on a different 3D World mechanic. Each challenge ranges in difficulty and a few of the later ones especially are quite hard and unforgiving. I like creating challenging levels for Mario veterans who already know most/all of the mechanics. Since 3D World has so many new moves and items, I tried focussing on those. Hope you like it!

In the previous Mario Maker I sometimes made my levels a bit too hard/unforgiving. I tried to tone that down a bit, but I have the feeling it's still a bit too hard at a few paces. Any feedback is more than welcome. :)

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Indeed, and just yesterday I was thinking I was "safe" because I post my maps regularly here, include them in the course list, send them over to my buddies, I have some people following me so they get notifications (I think), and so on. Yet this one just didn't want to move from 0 played. For comparison's sake, my 5th level got like 30 likes when I woke up in the morning after uploading it in the evening, this one didn't even get played in the same interval. We'll see how the numbers evolve now. Thanks a lot!
People who are following you don't get a notification when you upload a new level, which is a real oversight I think.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
I would have assumed that's the case. That makes following pretty useless then if you have to check those people's profiles manually anyway :\
Yeah, I get the feeling that this, the fact that you can't automatically see friend's levels, and the lack of multiplayer with friends are all part of a conscious design decision to avoid people playing in their own bubbles, because the engine of the game is endless mode, that's how you get millions of people to eventually get their levels played. It sucks a bit for communities like this that would be quite happy just playing our own levels, but I think for the general player it probably improves the overall experience.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
I would have assumed that's the case. That makes following pretty useless then if you have to check those people's profiles manually anyway :\
The last tab on the courses page shows all the levels of everyone you're following. It's always the first place I check when I log on

That tab doesn't have a name weirdly. Think it's just a picture of a star or something

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I made a level (for the very first time!). I spent more time on it than I expected, so I hope someone enjoys it.

61S-TWX-4JF

Last edited:

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Out of curiosity, what is everyone's best course so far as a percentage of likes to plays? Mine is currently It's All Gone A Bit Pete Tong (R64-J5V-2HF), on 45.5%, but you could argue that Gusty Gardens 2D (CJD-S10-4JF) is doing better on 42.1% because that's out of 1279 plays to Pete Tong's 178 plays.
I wonder if it's possible to get much higher? I get the feeling a lot of players just don't bother with the like button.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

Wait, where's Jelectro? Is that an underwater version of a spike trap in SMB3 format?

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
I'm somewhat put off by the reports about the multiplayer.

I've read that the local multi-switch multiplayer requires an internet connection and is painfully barebones, which runs very much counter to my intended use: mainly, to sit in a random restaurant/biergarten in bumfuck nowhere with friends, getting slightly boozed up and playing through levels we've made during the weeks in between our meetings (in between bouts of Mario Kart and other such games). As far as I understand, none of that is gonna happen. Dammit. Not even the single-switch Multiplayer sounds very appealing, with having to download levels in advance. These design decisions seem so very weird to me. What a wasted opportunity.

Or am I just too pessimistic? How's the flow for local multiplayer?

I kinda get a Bomberman R vibe from this. Great fun to play against each other, but the slow initial setup with freaking lobby codes and the clunky way of only advancing back to the lobby if everyone has dismissed the results screen really killed that game for us.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Right. I don't think that's possible. For levels without checkpoints some people pause and restart the level to save a few seconds by not having to listen to the death jingle. That also skews the percentage.

In the contexts where lives matter, doing that costs a life. I suspect a restart counts as a 'death'. Or rather, I think it tracks starts on a level, not deaths.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, where's Jelectro? Is that an underwater version of a spike trap in SMB3 format?

You got it right, the underwater version of the spikes are the Jelectros. It may not be too intuitive for those not familiar with all Mario games since it's a fairly obscure element (I wouldn't be surprised if some players bumped into them at first not realizing they're bad for your health), but it's very fitting for a stage like this.