• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My second course is done! Still learning a bunch.

scurker

Oct 25, 2017
Very challenging platforming, some annoyingly so with the super slippery ice. I would have liked some item boxes to give upgraded items than just Mushrooms if the player was already in Super form.

Thanks for the feedback! The level was actually more challenging than I wanted it to be. I originally wanted to put a checkpoint flag after each "trial" but discovered I could only have one on the level. I wanted the challenges to be hard, but I was having a hard time figuring out how to reward completing them and not making players have to repeat them.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I made a level, 30X-KBH-9GG.

It's nothing great. My first one. But hopefully some feedback can be garnered.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone, made my second level! It's called Bowser's Castle Assault and it has you laying siege on Bowser's fleet. I tried to fill it with a lot of secrets and fun little surprise moments. There are also three hidden coins for an optional challenge. Might make this my contest submission but we'll see.

Bowser's Castle Assault
T3B-S39-QDG

Oct 25, 2017
Raiders of the Lost Shelmet

Level Code: 9PP-YXV-QRG
Description: While vacationing in a rural equatorial village, Mario hears stories of a long-forgotten temple where a powerful artifact was hidden. Always the adventurer, the mighty plumber sets off to investigate the legend himself and discovers a ruined temple. Can Mario navigate the traps within to find the treasure, face down an angered temple guardian, and escape with his life? And can he do it while holding onto the treasure for a true ending?

So the funny thing is, you and I aren't even the only people in this thread to see some of the new themes in SMM2 (mainly desert and jungle) and have our minds immediately leap to Indiana Jones. (Mine is at WL5-40G-JRF if you're curious.) Convergent evolution, I suppose. It was interesting to see your level go for some of the same story beats like the classic trope of the treasure pedestal bringing the temple to life with a hidden switch, although yours is much kinder to the sort of players who absolutely cannot live without checkpoints, since you don't absolutely require surviving with the treasure item.

In future, you might want to make a closer testing pass when it comes to objects spawning in, as on one of my attempts, the platform drop just didn't activate and Bowser didn't load, so I was stuck, and I definitely wasn't going to wait out the timer instead of restarting from scratch.

Also, I'm sure I must have come across your work in SMM1, because I recognize that temple entrance exactly—the Chain Chomp, the Koopa, the way to get the mushroom. Looking it up—Legend of the Lost Idol, right? I never did finish that one, although I marked it as something I wanted to go back to before SMM2, and in the end I just didn't have time. Glad I got to see some more from you.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to do this but my post was the last one the previous page :(

Hey everyone, made my second level! It's called Bowser's Castle Assault and it has you laying siege on Bowser's fleet. I tried to fill it with a lot of secrets and fun little surprise moments. There are also three hidden coins for an optional challenge. Might make this my contest submission but we'll see.

Bowser's Castle Assault
T3B-S39-QDG

Wozzer

QA Architect at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Played a bit more; gonna have to throw in the towel for now. Made it to the second area but keep dying to the spinies that you need to spin jump off of.

I really struggled getting the shell jump consistant; the rest of the level was fine, but that shell jump just felt brutal.

From what I played so far, it was quite fun, but would greatly benifit from a checkpoint - it gets old doing that shell jump over and over as you try to puzzle out and learn the sections afterward. A checkpoint after the first area would have been really good; I'll admit that it was very deflating beating that first room just to run into another one.

Might give it some more attempts later, but for now, I'm going to play some different levels.

Appreciate the attempts! I actually had a checkpoint after the first area, but then upon realizing that I'd need to beat the entire level without a checkpoint on the upload anyhow it felt unfair to ask that of myself and not of others lol :D

Was surprised to see how much progress you made so fast, when so many others either couldn't pass that first jump or took silly amount of tries to get used to it. You've probably got further than anyone else at this point, though there's still a handful of people trying to beat the level still.

The trick with the spinies is to start on the left side; they align up in your favor that way. A little bit of a cheeky cheese, but felt I could get away with such setups given what the rest of the level asks of the player up to that point lol.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow while struggling with the Docked controls I wound up making these little pinball machine puzzles.
giphy.gif

Wonder if there's potential to do a whole level of these.

Last edited:

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
I'm going to play, liked and maybe comment the levels posted in the last pages of this thread. If you have a level without any visits yet quote me and I'll play it.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
Submission for ResetEra's Official Level Competition

Course ID
: 1R6-G1S-GTF

Level Name: Skytree in Winter

Comments: a short vertical skytree level (grow a vine) with three sections using on/off switches, cranes, and horizontal thwomps. Reset the level by going through any of the doors or the pipe at the beginning. Its a pretty difficult platforming level but its really hard to die in and there shouldn't be any soft-locks left in it.

Screenshot:

Video (shows about half the level):

Good level. Took me a bunch of tries but the reset doors helped. I liked the rhythm you get into when it's going right.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Money down the drain
Mario has dropped 100 bucks in the toilet.

Find the cash, survive the sewers!

MGT-L4W-XMF
I had to give up because i need to review other courses lol.

Secrets of the Mirrored Desert

A puzzel-ish level where you need to try and find the 5 keys hidden in the desert. Paying attention to the surroundings is important.

53W-4DG-3TF
This was actually very cool and well done but the guess work could get tedious lol.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Tough one, but I've done it!
Really fun. Well done.
I liked this. Not too challenging. Fun platforming. Just the right length.
Thanks everyone!
Haha, I should have figured the intro would throw some people off. I may just need to cut that part out and expand and the gimmicks towards the end. Here is how it looks when completed:

Thats a neat ending there.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
So the funny thing is, you and I aren't even the only people in this thread to see some of the new themes in SMM2 (mainly desert and jungle) and have our minds immediately leap to Indiana Jones. (Mine is at WL5-40G-JRF if you're curious.) Convergent evolution, I suppose. It was interesting to see your level go for some of the same story beats like the classic trope of the treasure pedestal bringing the temple to life with a hidden switch, although yours is much kinder to the sort of players who absolutely cannot live without checkpoints, since you don't absolutely require surviving with the treasure item.

In future, you might want to make a closer testing pass when it comes to objects spawning in, as on one of my attempts, the platform drop just didn't activate and Bowser didn't load, so I was stuck, and I definitely wasn't going to wait out the timer instead of restarting from scratch.

Also, I'm sure I must have come across your work in SMM1, because I recognize that temple entrance exactly—the Chain Chomp, the Koopa, the way to get the mushroom. Looking it up—Legend of the Lost Idol, right? I never did finish that one, although I marked it as something I wanted to go back to before SMM2, and in the end I just didn't have time. Glad I got to see some more from you.
Yup, Legend of the Lost Idol was mine too. I made it a month ago as a test run for the ideas I had for SMM2. The new one is an evolution of that.

As far as the Bowser not loading in correctly I must have tested that 100 times and didn't encounter that bug. I did however provide a spike on the floor you can touch to reset at the checkpoint just in case anything like that happened.

I'll try your level next.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Man, I can't stop playing this game. Just when I think I'm done I get the urge to play one more level and before I know it another hour or two passes by.

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, Legend of the Lost Idol was mine too. I made it a month ago as a test run for the ideas I had for SMM2. The new one is an evolution of that.

As far as the Bowser not loading in correctly I must have tested that 100 times and didn't encounter that bug. I did however provide a spike on the floor you can touch to reset at the checkpoint just in case anything like that happened.

I'll try your level next.

I think the thing that prevents the bombs from going off and Bowser from spawning in is if you run left as soon as you pick up the coin and shell. I've done that out of habit and gotten locked there no less than three times now, so there must be something different about my timing that didn't come out in testing. (You're right about the reset spike, of course; I kept hitting it on the way down, so my mind must have blocked it out.) I also broke the boulder chase segment with the big buzzy shell and the on/off switch—I accidentally bopped the shell, it didn't hit the switch, but I got spat out the one-way gate so I couldn't do anything about it.

I do like the ambition of the trap designs and took the time to explore some of the optional rooms. I'm not deliberately QAing your level to death, I swear.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City

Bowser's Castle Assault
T3B-S39-QDG
Nice theme! Lots of stuff here. nice secrets and layout.

scurker

Oct 25, 2017
Got a few levels in tonight:

My first attempt in MM2

CNB-VFC-5QG

Good first attempt! I feel like I was doing a lot of guesswork as to what I was supposed to do here. I think guiding the player more would've helped.

Secrets of the Mirrored Desert

A puzzel-ish level where you need to try and find the 5 keys hidden in the desert. Paying attention to the surroundings is important.

53W-4DG-3TF

This was a cool level! Although it took me a bit to figure out what the "gimmick" was. I'm curious, could you not had also done this with pink coins or is there a limit?

My second course is done! Still learning a bunch.

I enjoyed this! What a great way to force a player forward without autoscrolling. I think I'm going to steal this idea maybe for something else. Only though I had was I didn't really see the bullet bill tower beyond the first screen, I wish there was a little more "pressure". Maybe have more verticality to slow the player down?

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone, I just finished my second level and would love for you guys to try it out. It's a little on the tougher side so it's for those looking for a challenge. Let me know what you think!

Bowser's Castle
TK9-LBH-QNF

Jul 1, 2019
Raiders of the Lost Shelmet

Level Code: 9PP-YXV-QRG
Description: While vacationing in a rural equatorial village, Mario hears stories of a long-forgotten temple where a powerful artifact was hidden. Always the adventurer, the mighty plumber sets off to investigate the legend himself and discovers a ruined temple. Can Mario navigate the traps within to find the treasure, face down an angered temple guardian, and escape with his life? And can he do it while holding onto the treasure for a true ending?

If you are up for an adventure, why not help Mario out. And let me know what you liked about the level and what can be improved.

Just played this level a few times - the theme is awesome and there are some really fun sections to play.

There is also some jank in the level too:
  • When you grab the red coin if you move left, the bombs will never explode, and Bowser will not come, resulting in you getting stuck.
  • It is also possible to completely skip the section with the moving bullet launcher, all you have to do is drop down instead of spin jumping off the group of 4 spinies.
  • You can destroy the big shell (easily, if you are wearing a shelmet) that chases you, resulting in you getting stuck.
  • Finally, I did not like the jump with the koopa bouncing back and forth. I ended up just damage boosting past it instead.

Overall, a great level; thanks for making it!

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Nice theme! Lots of stuff here. nice secrets and layout.

Oh snap didn't even think of leaping the gap that way lol, luckily still need a key so at least that part can't be completely skipped

It's crazy watching other people play your levels because they end up doing stuff and finding exploits you wouldn't even dream of yourself. Don't know if you found all the hidden coins, but for example,
there's a coin at the top of the bullet bill shaft right before this which you're supposed to reach by jumping off a bunch of them in a row, but my friend just hijacked Bowser Jr.'s clown car, took it back there and flew up

Thanks so much for giving this a go! It means a lot.

EDIT: Thank you too Gotdatmoney !

Bakedziti

Jun 29, 2019
This was a cool level! Although it took me a bit to figure out what the "gimmick" was. I'm curious, could you not had also done this with pink coins or is there a limit?

Thanks. I tried with red coins but it would not let me put them in hidden blocks as far as I know. Im pretty sure I tried at least.

Jul 1, 2019
Appreciate the attempts! I actually had a checkpoint after the first area, but then upon realizing that I'd need to beat the entire level without a checkpoint on the upload anyhow it felt unfair to ask that of myself and not of others lol :D

Was surprised to see how much progress you made so fast, when so many others either couldn't pass that first jump or took silly amount of tries to get used to it. You've probably got further than anyone else at this point, though there's still a handful of people trying to beat the level still.

The trick with the spinies is to start on the left side; they align up in your favor that way. A little bit of a cheeky cheese, but felt I could get away with such setups given what the rest of the level asks of the player up to that point lol.

Ah, I was starting with the right most bullet and it was making me swerve back and forth a lot with the spinnies. Is there a lot more of the level left? Or am I getting close to the end?

Honestly, other than the shell jump most of the level isn't that bad once you figure it out. Every thing else is 75%+ consistency (save the yoshi jump, but thankfully, you put a reset door for that). But that shell jump just destroys me.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
Since I'm in a Stranger Things mood as the show's coming back soon, I went ahead and made a themed Mario take on the Upside-down.
Are you willing to free the Demogorgon to escape the cave?
Easy, light puzzle.

7BX-9FV-SJF

Good level. Bit short but fun.

I made my first ever stage! It's a difficult platforming focused one with lots of bouncing. It will definitely take a few tries to get your bearings, but it's about 25 seconds to complete once mastered. Would be really happy if Era folk gave it a try! :D

365-8V6-JPF

I really tried... I couldn't beat it haha

Made a non-gimmicky level for the first time, tried to make something I would enjoy playing in a regular Mario game.

Cool Jumps Zone
9FP-K5B-L9G

Cool comfy level. Tried to speedrun it. I think I got the record.

Yw1-2hg-N5g
Spent a good amount of time on it. Dont know how good it is but im happy with it. Inspired by celeste with some of the verticality.
Let me know what you think!

Really fu as platforming goes. But it could use some help of arrows or coins to indicate where the player should go in some areas. I say this because when I was already near the end, I accidentally went through a path that got me to one of the first areas of the level.

Money down the drain
Mario has dropped 100 bucks in the toilet.

Find the cash, survive the sewers!

MGT-L4W-XMF

Challenging. I'm not very good at aquatic levels. Could use a Checkpoint but it was very well done.

Last edited:

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Never played the first game, but I've really fallen in love with this one. I'd appreciate it if anyone could play my levels! Real simple straight forward stuff. I love SMB3 and have tried to make some things that could fit into a game of that vein. Something a little more coherent to populate the lower difficult end of the endless mode hopeully. My goal is to make a "world" worth of levels for a typical SMB3 world complete with a castle and airship.

132-P11-5LF
- First level, really basic.

YH7-GNH-SDF
- Second level, a lot more to do here, but still straight forward. There is a hidden second path (that is not very hard to find). I was always a fan of those levels in SMB3 where there were other paths, so that will likely be a common theme in my level designs. :)

Thac

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I made my first level. I'm fairly annoyed that I didn't know that you couldn't put red coins that are unreachable after a checkpoint so now it's just reeeeealllly long to the first checkpoint. It's a collect the 5 red coins beat 1 boss level, nothing too crazy.

Rumble in the jungle
3Q1-6XN-HFG

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Hey everyone, I just finished my second level and would love for you guys to try it out. It's a little on the tougher side so it's for those looking for a challenge. Let me know what you think!

Bowser's Castle
TK9-LBH-QNF

I tried. I couldnt beat it. I dont have the patiences for these types of levels. I dunno why I continually fpol myself into thinking I can do it. I starred it because the effort was there. I got to the part where you ride the blue platform and have to jump over the spike walls. I feel like there was a checkpoint close but I dont wanna grind it out

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Made a fairly simple:
First Part you use the Clown Car, second part is easy platforming and some boss fights -

YMH-10T-XQG

Feedback appreciated

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
Just played this level a few times - the theme is awesome and there are some really fun sections to play.

There is also some jank in the level too:
  • When you grab the red coin if you move left, the bombs will never explode, and Bowser will not come, resulting in you getting stuck.
  • It is also possible to completely skip the section with the moving bullet launcher, all you have to do is drop down instead of spin jumping off the group of 4 spinies.
  • You can destroy the big shell (easily, if you are wearing a shelmet) that chases you, resulting in you getting stuck.
  • Finally, I did not like the jump with the koopa bouncing back and forth. I ended up just damage boosting past it instead.

Overall, a great level; thanks for making it!
Thanks for the feedback. I did not catch the Bowser spawn issue in testing but I have a good idea of what the problem is. I need to decide if it's worth fixing since there is a checkpoint immediately before.

The part with the bullet bill is intentionally skipable. The early checkpoint is a reward for exploring, so it's optional.

I knew it was possible to destroy the big shell. It's an unfortunate trade off of giving the player powerups. I haven't been able to figure out a foolproof solution. In the prototype version of this level I made on Wii U the treasure is a costume instead of a shelmet which avoided the issue. Here I decided it was worth giving powerups to make the level easier.

I've done the koopa bounce so many times now that it's probably unrealistically easy for me. I did make it simple to damage boost through though for those that were having trouble. That's one of the reasons there are extra early powerups.

Otherwise it sounds like you had fun. Thanks for playing.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of bummed by how much the Joy-Cons are hindering my experience. The easy solution is to buy a pro controller, but I'm fundamentally against getting a controller for one experience. Ugh

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just learned that the game drops from 1080p to 900p when playing in 3D World mode.

WTF is wrong with the Switch, man?

Artorias

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of bummed by how much the Joy-Cons are hindering my experience. The easy solution is to buy a pro controller, but I'm fundamentally against getting a controller for one experience. Ugh

Think of it as an experience for your hands more than anything. It's so much more comfortable than the Joycons, I have no doubt you'll use it for other games if you ever play docked.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Never played the first game, but I've really fallen in love with this one. I'd appreciate it if anyone could play my levels! Real simple straight forward stuff. I love SMB3 and have tried to make some things that could fit into a game of that vein. Something a little more coherent to populate the lower difficult end of the endless mode hopeully. My goal is to make a "world" worth of levels for a typical SMB3 world complete with a castle and airship.

132-P11-5LF
- First level, really basic.

YH7-GNH-SDF
- Second level, a lot more to do here, but still straight forward. There is a hidden second path (that is not very hard to find). I was always a fan of those levels in SMB3 where there were other paths, so that will likely be a common theme in my level designs. :)
Nice set of levels very traditional but fun with exploration.

11431"]

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Course ID
: 1R6-G1S-GTF

Level Name:
Skytree in Winter

Comments: a short vertical skytree level (grow a vine) with three sections using on/off switches, cranes, and horizontal thwomps. Reset the level by going through any of the doors or the pipe at the beginning. Its a pretty difficult platforming level but its really hard to die in and there shouldn't be any soft-locks left in it.

Screenshot:

Video (shows about half the level):

This is one of the most frustrating but most rewarding experiences i've ever had on anything super mario world related. The way it forces you to be efficient and master the different moves it's brilliant.

Incredible work. Seriously, i'm amazed.

Deleted member 4292

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First stage I've ever made.
Fairly difficult, but has a few secrets that could make the level easier :)

YH7-NTX-0WF

EDIT: updated course to be a tad easier. Please give me criticism. I want to make good levels

Last edited:

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017

5f70408b5b.jpg

Charvaargh's Moat
KMQ-R2P-JKF

Descrpition:
A pretty standard platforming course that makes use of rising lava, a vertical sub-area, as well as the 3D World theme and some other new additions.

Based on my experience with the first Super Mario Maker, I tried to make a course that would end up in the Normal difficulty Course World. In other words, it's not a braindead level but I imagine it shouldn't be all that challenging to anyone frequenting Era.

I created this course just because I wanted to try out the 3D World theme. It wasn't even going to be a submission for the competition, but I don't see myself finishing another level before the deadline, so I might as well submit this one because I think it uses enough new things to qualify.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
4-1 Land of the Giants

9CS-H5C-1MG

The fourth world is a giant enemy-themed world. Enemies will be useful occasionally!

D-hutaBW4AENkm9.jpg

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
My new level is called The Secret of Hidden Block Park. Again, feedback is appreciated.

I wanted to explore the original Super Mario Bros. style, as I find that to be the most neglected style among creators (at least that I've seen). I use lots of swinging claws as they're my favorite new feature. Please let me know what you think :)

57H-T83-LKF

Wozzer

QA Architect at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Ah, I was starting with the right most bullet and it was making me swerve back and forth a lot with the spinnies. Is there a lot more of the level left? Or am I getting close to the end?

Honestly, other than the shell jump most of the level isn't that bad once you figure it out. Every thing else is 75%+ consistency (save the yoshi jump, but thankfully, you put a reset door for that). But that shell jump just destroys me.

There's 3 more jumps after the bullets. The first one is trivial, and has a reset door. The second is no threat and more of a puzzle (that is used on a lot of other levels), and doesn't need resetting. The third one is mechanically simple but honestly is a bit bullshit in that you need to solve it under pressure. None are a threat if you play carefully, at least not like that shelljump, and can all utilize the reset door from the first.

You've got this :D

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
So I started to make an effort of checking out some of the people who comment on my level to also play their levels.
Found this one person with three levels but not a single play so I went and played all of her levels and commented on them trying to make someone's day.
Then I came across a user named Chad who drew a face in my comments. I thought hey cool, a little kid doodling around after playing my level.
The face looked a little weird but I'm not an artist either so my creation would probably look even worse.
A few minutes later I check back and see that he doodled another face in my comments. I was intrigued and checked out his maker profile.
As of yesterday he had three levels uploaded.

- Chad is a god
- Chad is still a god
- Chad is the best

I actually chuckled so I HAD to check out these levels.
At first I thought I confirmed my suspicion that it's just a kid making a super annoying level but as I continued playing I realized that this must be the work of an absolute mad man.
The first two levels each take a single gimmick to the absolute extreme. One had you descend down a million see-saws that were stacked above each other so that you descend super slowly but only if you move correctly.
That went on for the full 300 seconds until I finally reached the goal.
The second level had you mash the jump button while ducked to ascend a giant tower of alternating on/off blocks. I gave it a couple of tries until my hands started to hurt and gave up. I almost beat it but ran out of time.
The third level was actually pretty clever. You had 20 seconds to get a POW block off a see-saw with Thwomps on one side and sawblades under the other side where the POW block was. You had to grab the POW block without hitting the sawblades and gently drop it on top of one of the Twomps to enter a door and reach the goal.

Super Mario Maker 2 can be so, so weird...

Jul 1, 2019
There's 3 more jumps after the bullets. The first one is trivial, and has a reset door. The second is no threat and more of a puzzle (that is used on a lot of other levels), and doesn't need resetting. The third one is mechanically simple but honestly is a bit bullshit in that you need to solve it under pressure. None are a threat if you play carefully, at least not like that shelljump, and can all utilize the reset door from the first.

You've got this :D

Crazy timing, saw your comment pop up right as I was about to get off.

Played for another hour and got the spinies down now. Got to the bomb ladder two times than timed out. Feels like I'm getting closer. Maybe tomorrow.