• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Completed 55 levels in story mode and got the castle 100% upgraded. So far, level 43 With a Lantern and level 53 Get Over It! were the two hardest levels for me. Both easily took over twenty tries (funnily enough, I just did With a Lantern just to try again, and beat it in four lives with the 50 coin) and spent a good 30 minutes each on them. Still haven't made a level but I plan to. Need to download everyone's courses here to try them out. There are so many!

Jul 1, 2019
Hey, your commentary is really good. You'd make a good streamer, if you aren't already.

Thank you for your kind words good sir.

I streamed for about two weeks 4-5 years ago. I was part of the Ori and the Blind Forest speedrun community, and held the world record for the early parts of the games history. But then, my masters degree got in the way and I stopped.

Thinking about picking it up for Mario Maker 2. It's just such a fun game to play and experience with others.

I'm also thinking about picking levels here and doing commentary on them, if anyone would be interested in that.

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Tried my hand at making my first level. It isn't very long and I think the clear condition could potentially be frustrating but for my first go picking one of the first conditions and building around it helped me kind of keep my eye on the prize so to speak. Since it's my first go at making anything between the two Mario Maker games I'm open to all feedback possible, even if you think it stinks.

Trial of the Moles: Foot Allergy - FY6-0VV-20G (I think the 0 in the second two sets are zeroes, hard to tell though)
Clear condition is once you leave the ground you can't touch it again. I placed three pink coins to serve as optional little challenge coins to grab through various means that may require you to approach certain paths a certain way as opposed to what might seem obvious. Again any and all feedback is cool. I honestly didn't think I'd get around to making something but it was just so fun to do that I'm really looking forward to digging into creating something more traditional.
cVw0CvM.jpg

Anyone who checks it out I'd be happy to go back and forth and play some of your stuff too. Just reply with your codes and I'll check em out tomorrow evening after I get out of work.

Wozzer

QA Architect at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
At 2925 attempts between 332 players I'm giving up hope of Descent into Madness getting the first clear.

wudXo46.png

For my second level I've distilled the challenge and struggle from my prior level to create this raw utter hot trash bullshit, good luck 😅. To its benefit its a single screen level, and incredibly short, so shouldn't be too tall an ask to beat for the first clear this time. Single Screen Shell Scream (KWX-2Y8-XLG)!

I01MqrI.png

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York

One more. Wanted to try something a little different... it may have gotten a bit out of hand. Might also be worth having comments on for it.

Last edited:

Diggeh

Oct 25, 2017
Several hours of fighting with the 3D World theme to attempt to make custom things that don't just look like the original 3D World level later

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man that Don't Jump Story Mission was pretty cool...

Had no idea Boos could hold stuff like that.

Wozzer

QA Architect at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'll give this a shot tomorrow, got to go to bed for work, but I never back down from a challenge! Is is Kaizo? Or just hard platforming?

Little bit from column A, little bit of column B lol. But I've attempted to avoid bullshit; no hidden kaizo blocks, no death traps, etc. There's a few tight platforming tricks that caught folks but am holding out for a hero still.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Good job! Well made level. Awesome design in the beginning!

Thanks!

Wahre deutsche Handwerkskunst, gute Arbeit!
I really liked the different rooms and challenges in your dungeon. And also the "boss-fight" at the end.
The snow theme is such a beaut. Good work! :)

Thanks! Yes indeed! Love the snow theme so much!
I just keep coming back to the SMW style. I really want to do a SMB desert level, though. Super nice aesthetics!

I've been grinding out a spin jump kaizo level last night. I got pretty far and got the early sections down but the second half is still kicking my ass a little. I feel like I'm getting closer, though. When I started the level it was sitting at a 0.38% clear rate.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Man, people sure love to destroy their decent levels with one or two really poorly thought out trolls, huh? I was playing a level just now in super expert and it had some fun little sections, a nice amount of difficulty without resorting to bullshit "haha go through a door and directly to death" trash that 99% of SE levels are, but then you get near the end and there's a super fast, super erratic snake block section and if you fall you get stuck in a pit full of invisible blocks without a way to kill yourself. So, run out the timer (this is almost immediately after a checkpoint) or start the stage over. All of the work put into the beginning of a stage thrown away for an unfunny "gotcha".

I honestly think Normal is my preferable way to play Endless, because there's a chance of getting something decent that doesn't resort to just total nonsense.

ckfy63a

Oct 28, 2017
a place beyond seeing...
Anyone want to be my first play? :S FTV-F17-32H. Really just trying to get acquainted with the level editor, figured I'd get something out quick. I was going for that Mystery Box feel from the 3D Land/World games...

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Got stuck where the key door is. Being a semisolid platform allowed me to jump up and get stuck between the hard blocks meant for the hammer. Will play through again and not do that next time. ha

EDIT: Cleared it. Would add a checkpoint or two because I would not want to do the level again if I died near the end.
Aw damn, I didn't consider that people could get stuck in that door. Hmmm I'll have to fix it.

There originally was a checkpoint in the second room of doors but it messed up the 2nd on/off switch puzzle. If you died you could bypass that puzzle so I moved the checkpoint forward but yeah, you then go a while without a checkpoint in the second half.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Aw damn, I didn't consider that people could get stuck in that door. Hmmm I'll have to fix it.

There originally was a checkpoint in the second room of doors but it messed up the 2nd on/off switch puzzle. If you died you could bypass that puzzle so I moved the checkpoint forward but yeah, you then go a while without a checkpoint in the second half.

Oh! Forgot to add--I absolutely loved the vertical clear pipe maze. Really creative and clever. :)

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
Oh I remember that! Can't wait to play the new one!
Loved the theme! but I only managed to get 1 red coin, I suck lol.
Wow! This was super cool! Loved the theme.
I think I played it before on SMM1, but I also loved the new edition on SMM2, great job. Although I didn't get all the secrets, but I still managed to grab the WR, so that's fine. Good work!
Thank you all!
The original level had plenty of optional areas to explore (usually with coins or power-ups), so I believe they made for perfect hiding places for the pink coin as a completionist challenge.

Yesterday I managed to try out a few levels from fellow Era members, some of which were truly great.

Also, I made something very silly.

jdjeaZD.png

Late For Work Simulator (T9M-10L-KJG)
Description:
Experience the existential dread of being late for work.
Tags: Speedrun, Short and sweet

Features:
- Twenty seconds of reckless driving
- Try to get to work in time while the entire universe is conspiring against you
- Every time you die a new timeline is created, contributing to the Super Mario Multiverse and to making the lore even deeper Oh, come on.

Last edited:

IamPeacock

Feb 9, 2018
Belgium
Phew! Building is fun but it takes alot of work, or maybe i'm just very slow.

I have this cool idea/mechanism that I introduce very simple in the begin of my level, and try to expand on that. But i'm making slow progress.

I really don't get how some of you are constantly pumping out levels like that.

Jul 1, 2019
I just keep coming back to the SMW style. I really want to do a SMB desert level, though. Super nice aesthetics!

Shameless plug but you could check out my SMB desert level: Keeping Up with The Bonses, 1R6-4NQ-CHG. Warning, it's quite difficult (No Kaizo, just difficult platforming).

There is a youtube video of a clear I did on post 4043 if you want to check it out before committing to it.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
Shameless plug but you could check out my SMB desert level: Keeping Up with The Bonses, 1R6-4NQ-CHG. Warning, it's quite difficult (No Kaizo, just difficult platforming).

There is a youtube video of a clear I did on post 4043 if you want to check it out before committing to it.

Aw yeah. I'm super in! Will queue that up as soon as I've beaten that Thwomp spin jump level. Hopefully I can get that done during lunch break today.

PWRade

Oct 25, 2017
I made a short and sweet crane game last night where each individual item gives you a prize.

PHP-BRM-QCG

It was brutal to test, items kept hitting each other off the platforms.

I'm definitely taking a break from creating for now, have to catch up on everyone's submissions in this thread.

Last edited:

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
I didn't have much time to work on it but I finally made my first level called back track mansion.

It's obvious what you're supposed to do from the title :p

7QX B9C V0G

I'd appreciate the feedback as I'd like to work on it further

Perona

Oct 31, 2017
i was rank 58 on the easy mode endless leaderboards yesterday but i just cant nolife the game anymore. RIP

jepense

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
One of the levels I posted here got a notification saying a few people played it and liked it. But when I went to my Maker profile, it still said there are no plays. I got it to refresh by rebooting the game, but is there a way to refresh the stats in-game?

Also reposting the other two levels that nobody has yet played. I won't spam these a third time, I promise.

Test chamber: J5R-3B9-4VG
Starts with a "quiz" theme, but becomes something else.

Mushroom clouds: TM8-7WN-43G
Very short level where only precision stomps lead to the finish.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very nice exploration level with a fitting theme and beautiful visuals.
Although a little checkpoint right after the keydoor would be nice. Was there any reason not to include one?
Afterall, cool level!

Before I didn't want to include one before the keydoor because I saw that the red coins' behaviour with the checkpoints can be erratic. Sometimes you don't lose any, sometimes you lose some, once I lost all coins for some reason. Is there a specific reason why there is no checkpoint afterwards? Not really, but then again there's a couple other mushrooms you can pick up and there's only one part where you risk something after that anyway. In hindsight maybe I could have included one there, but there's about 10 mushrooms throughout the stage which gave a decent amount of safety cushion.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Made another level. This one is almost kaizo-lite, but I don't think it's really hard enough for that term:

Super BanZai Galaxy
9F1-HMR-63G

I had to make a low-gravity stage with the Mario Galaxy music, and I've also been meaning to make a level with a bunch of banzai bills, so here we are. The basic idea is to use Z-twirls to properly line up your jumps to bounce off the many, many bills. I hope it's not too obtuse; I had a lot of fun lining things up and play testing this one.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
Hey guys. I made my second level. It started as a standard classic level with a lot of goombas, and in the end it became a level with 2 endings. Your decisions matter in this one, you decide whether the Goomba Race go extinct or lives another day

93J-CSP-MNF

Edit: Oh! I just realized the servers are down at the moment. Will repost again when they're done.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
This game needs a one-button reset it is just not acceptable how long it takes from making a mistake or being death to being able to play again.

I would pay for a reset button DLC.

BBech

Jun 20, 2019
Okay, so this one took me a while but I'm by far the most proud of it...

65587488_10219753157878740_3956866671594962944_n.jpg

It's exactly what it sounds like: a battle royale made using Mario Maker 2. I had this idea the moment objectives were announced, and it turned out much better than I expected it to. You ride the bus and decide where you want to drop. I've created various unique locales on a large"map" each housing different power-ups and the like, so there's some strategy to where you decide to land. Goombas are everywhere so you're going to have to scramble to be the last man standing out of 100! The cool part about this one, is that while it's fine to play solo, it's even more fun playing it with friends! So yeah, please try it and let me know what you think! I would be more than happy to give feedback on something you've made, so feel free to PM me.

My other levels so far:
LEGEND OF THE LAVENDER LAIR: Y9B-1B8-GWG
FLIGHT OF THE GOOMBARON: CN6-BGW-YTF

Also, does anyone have the link to the official discord? I saw someone post it, but I lost the post.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the greatest moments I have ever seen in my life. Note that he has been stuck on this puzzle stage for over two hours. Obviously spoiler solution for the puzzle stage so skip to 30 second mark if you want to not be spoiled.

*thumbnail was before he needed to restart again so still not the solution*

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
There are so many amazing looking levels in this thread, and I barely have the time to play them :(

Still have lots of story mode levels to finish, and levels of my own to create...

Basically what I'm saying is this game has an overwhelming amount of content and it's great.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I made a course but I can't beat it to upload. LOL

Lol! Perseverance. You are your worst enemy after all.

I love this game. Played a lot more of Eras stages and I've been having a blast. It's been like 7 hours straight today between playing people's here and making my own. STILL couldn't be bothered to touch the Story mode :p
If the servers didn't have maintenance right now I'd probably still be at it.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I'd try downloading some levels before heading to work only to be hit by the maintenance. 😭

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I finally beat my stage and the fucking servers are undergoing maintenance so it failed.

I want to rip my monitor in half.

edit: Okay wow, I just realized it saved me clearing so I can just wait for maintenance to end and then upload.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, down for maintenance.
Was this announced somewhere beforehand? Seems weird to have a server maintenance so close after release. Is this a regularly scheduled affair or an emergency maintenance? I don't remember how it was for MM1.
Do we know how long the maintenance will be? I want to play some stages during my lunch break...