• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
Great level. Love the way it was built and the use of the platforms. My only suggestion is to put a checkpoint in there somewhere lol that spike maze had my heart pumping, but it seemed like that was your intent!
Thanks for playing! I thought one checkpoint in the sub world is enough though?
since the level is not too long.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, I worked on this for like three hours so it's time to take a break. Anyone want to try this one out?

bazzi

Dec 19, 2017
How do I do local wireless multiplayer? I think I'm an idiot and can't find it anywhere

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Need some design help.

Does anyone know how you can force a player to drop something they're carrying?

Trying to think of a way to force a player to throw something to another place, and then get there some other way.

Samoset

Oct 30, 2017
My first mario maker 2 course :) Small puzzle solving level. Hope you like :)

I haven't played many smm puzzles so the solution struck me as really cool. The spring is well incorporated throughout, and I liked having to do some platforming to stay alive; which isn't something I've had to do on the puzzles I have played.

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
Need some design help.

Does anyone know how you can force a player to drop something they're carrying?

Trying to think of a way to force a player to throw something to another place, and then get there some other way.

I know some objects can go through Bumper,
maybe use Bumper to block the player and conveyor belt or spring to move the dropped object.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I know some objects can go through Bumper,
maybe use Bumper to block the player and conveyor belt or spring to move the dropped object.

That might work. How about this: are there any items Mario can throw onto a P block to activate it? Or does it always need him to jump on it? Are there any enemies that can fall into a P block?

Edit: thwomp! Let's see what k can do

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
I completed my first two levels. Both are pretty hard, but not kaizo level, I think. I posted the one earlier, but I want to post my second as well.

HBX-8X4-5FG
1WJ-DGB-PMF

The latter is the easier of the two, but still tough.

NeuroCloud

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Is my level too difficult?

I almost labelled it as 'easy' difficulty, but there are two points where people keep dying.

For the first, I tried to provide visibility of the change in element using coins and space. However, this doesn't seem to leave an impression on the player.

The second point looks tricky, and is easy when you don't run, but it seems everyone runs full speed and die.

How can I better design these sections to make the level more enjoyable?

C44-PJJ-JBG

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
As you say, it's a test level of some of the new tools, so I don't have much to say. I'm sure your next levels will use some of them in cool ways!

Thanks for playing! My new levels are indeed more refined. I got two more since then. Feel free to give them a try.

Way back home
C4N-37D-MYF

Tags:
Short and sweet
Speedrun (don't be put off, there's no timer)

Journey to the core
2LK-9CM-SDG

Tags:
Standard
Themed

This one's a little more difficult but not punishing.

Currently working on another one themed around a dungeon with a few one screen puzzle rooms. The puzzles are super easy and are meant to be fun.
I couldn't decide on a proper way to end the level last night so I took a creative break. Will finish the level after work today.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
D-XWMroU4AA2fFg.jpg:large

Samoset

Oct 30, 2017
Wiggler Zone SWD-T6M-TJF
This is my first level where I was mainly experimenting with the new swinging claws and the poison water biome. It's really short 40secs-1min. I'm mostly happy with it except the ending can be a bit dangerous.

Platform Platforming Platformer HGN-FW9-5YF
My second level is longer and more traditional of a stage playing with shells, bombs, and on/off switches. It's a fun climb to the top. I don't have any plays or likes on this one.

This is my first Mario maker game, so I'd greatly appreciate any constructive feedback.

Whales

Oct 25, 2017

I almost labelled it as 'easy' difficulty, but there are two points where people keep dying.

The second point looks tricky, and is easy when you don't run, but it seems everyone runs full speed and die.

C44-PJJ-JBG

what a creative level dude. Im guessing the harder parts you're talking about are the ice blocks falling down and the little springs to use to move past spikes? If so, i found them pretty good to traverse to be honest... not too easy, not too hard. at some point people don't bother experimenting and seeing what works, or just taking their time lol.

FirstandYew

Oct 28, 2017
Uploaded a second map. I have yet to go for something lengthy, that'll come next but this is just a short level.
Beat it. Feel good about yourself.

Letsago 1 - TFC-86G-H0H

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

For the first, I tried to provide visibility of the change in element using coins and space. However, this doesn't seem to leave an impression on the player.

C44-PJJ-JBG
Well, I'm not sure what you were going for here, but personally I wasn't a fan of having all those things thrown at me in a single level (spikes AND bottomless pits AND fire jets AND icicles AND switches AND trampolines, AND sometimes all of those but upside down.

I'd suggest to focus on a theme that uses a couple of those elements and come up with several variations, then pick the variations that work best/are more fun and design the level around them.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, I worked on this for like three hours so it's time to take a break. Anyone want to try this one out?

Left a comment, and agree with the SMB 1 comments on how it feels like a level directly inspired and at home in that game. Well designed and fun to play.

My first mario maker 2 course :) Small puzzle solving level. Hope you like :)

I commented on the level, but I really enjoyed the two puzzles and their creative solutions. Just great creativity and thinking outside the box in both coming up with the ideas and the puzzle solutions themselves! Good work!

Thanks for playing! My new levels are indeed more refined. I got two more since then. Feel free to give them a try.

Way back home
C4N-37D-MYF

Tags:
Short and sweet

Journey to the core
2LK-9CM-SDG

Tags:
Standard
Themed

Currently working on another one themed around a dungeon with a few one screen puzzle rooms. The puzzles are super easy and are meant to be fun.
I couldn't decide on a proper way to end the level last night so I took a creative break. Will finish the level after work today.

The first one was a good deal of fun, but I enjoyed the second one the most of the two. Lots of creativity in this one with the bombs allowing players to "dig" and "break" their way through the ground to go deeper and deeper into the cavernous complex to reach the core! Fantastic job.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loved it. The final part with the rumbling rocks made me wish for a boss fight but nonetheless I had lots of fun.

Thank you very much! I just didn't think a classic boss fight made sense for what I was going for, eg. the objective being taking down the statue. Plus even speedrunning the stage takes you like 2+ minutes, so it would have become pretty damn long, perhaps too long for most players.

Happy about the reception for this level all around, around half of the players who played it put a heart on it.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
The first one was a good deal of fun, but I enjoyed the second one the most of the two. Lots of creativity in this one with the bombs allowing players to "dig" and "break" their way through the ground to go deeper and deeper into the cavernous complex to reach the core! Fantastic job.

Thanks for the feedback! I still feel like I'm only scratching the surface here. Can't wait to see what the community comes up with.
Incidentally, I just came up with a cool concept for the end of my new level. I love this game!

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Here's another one of my old SMM1 levels that transitioned over to SMM2. This is a simple platforming level. Mainly emphasizing on full distance jumps at running speed.

The original version did not have the bonus area with the coins. Maybe a tad generous, but I typically don't make Kaizo levels and prefer traditional platforming levels.

Hilly Hillside
ID: Y5D-Y3Q-D5G

I'll need to start experimenting with the new stuff added in SMM2. I have some interesting ideas I want to try.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Here's another one of my old SMM1 levels that transitioned over to SMM2. This is a simple platforming level. Mainly emphasizing on full distance jumps at running speed.

The original version did not have the bonus area with the coins. Maybe a tad generous, but I typically don't make Kaizo levels and prefer traditional platforming levels.

Hilly Hillside
ID: Y5D-Y3Q-D5G

I'll need to start experimenting with the new stuff added in SMM2. I have some interesting ideas I want to try.

A nice aesthetic there, and some truly death-defying jumps in the level--mostly the ones at the start! I had fun.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
Alright, ERA. Reply to me with your levels and I'll give them all a go! Please, no kaizo stuff lol

Way back home
C4N-37D-MYF

Tags:
Short and sweet

Journey to the core
2LK-9CM-SDG

Tags:
Standard
Themed

Enjoy!

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for the dumb question. How do I make a 2nd sub area? Trying to make a pipe into a small contained area with some coins and other goodies, but it's only giving me the option to go into one sub area. I was hoping two have two 'main' areas and a couple small sub sections via pipes.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry for the dumb question. How do I make a 2nd sub area? Trying to make a pipe into a small contained area with some coins and other goodies, but it's only giving me the option to go into one sub area. I was hoping two have two 'main' areas and a couple small sub sections via pipes.

You can only have one two areas per level--one main and one sub area, but that's not a problem unless you wanted two differently themed sub areas. If you don't need two differently themed sub areas, then you can just use screen high blocks from top to bottom to section off each room within the sub area, if that makes sense.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can only have one two areas per level--one main and one sub area, but that's not a problem unless you wanted two differently themed sub areas. If you don't need two differently themed sub areas, then you can just use screen high blocks from top to bottom to section off each room within the sub area, if that makes sense.
Yeah, I was kinda hoping to have it be a cave bonus room thing, but no biggy I suppose. How exactly do I use the blocks to contain the field of view?