• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Alright, ERA. Reply to me with your levels and I'll give them all a go! Please, no kaizo stuff lol

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I made the Turbo Tunnel from Battletoads. It was kinda hard to recreate the 3D motion on a 2D plane from that game but I think I approximated it as best I could given the constraints. Let me know what you think!

D-W-s6bUYAAjmvo

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Alright, ERA. Reply to me with your levels and I'll give them all a go! Please, no kaizo stuff lol

Made a pair of short ones that'll take ya a minute. Ones for a speed run the other for a puzzle segment. Was going to make them the same level but broke it up. Have fun!

HD9-20H-WRG

9KF-834-RKF

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
You have to clear it first in one go and then again from each checkpoint.
Here's mine:

So I just made my first level since... Super Mario Maker 3DS, I think. The Wii U is somewhere in the attic, so I couldn't wait until SMM2 came out. My first attempt after all these years is 'Buzzsaw Galaxy'. It took me a couple of tries to finish it and be able to upload it, but I don't think it's that hard honestly. I'm currently reviewing the game, so it would be great if you guys could leave some of those feedback images so I can use a screenshot of the information screen of this course for my review. Thanks in advance!

MX4-QHV-2TG

PvDKSxS.jpg

It might be a tad hard, but I tried to introduce every element fairly. So first one thwomp, two thwomps, a big thwomp etc. Some jumps might be tricky but they're all very doable.

One thing that might not be very clear near the end of the stage (it was obvious for me, but I'm the one who designed the level) is

a wall jump

Thanks for playing!

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I made a few levels, if anyone wants to try.

100 Coins at the Racetrack
RXK-9M9-2FF
The first level I made, I wanted to try some things with the car in the 3D World style.

Reach for the Summit
MSB-L17-7JG
I wanted to play with the vertical mode and cutting off the view of the stage with walls. NSMBU style for wall jumping and the use of day/night.

Beware Temptation
1HX-3K4-9SG
The player gets a choice with this one! Either a nice stroll in the snow, or try to steal money from a house and face the true might of the Goombas in a more challenging stage. SMB3 style.

Beanman25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TW6-BDY-T2G a tricky level I made yesterday. My friend said it's too hard for him lol.

Wish I could make more coherent stuff

IamPeacock

Feb 9, 2018
Belgium
Can anyone help me out please, I'm having trouble with the camera while designing a level.

Basically, Mario is standing before a rather deep pit. In the pit, there is some stuff going on, which you need to view so you can cross the pit. But the camera doesn't show what is going on there, so some events are not triggered.

Is there any way to control the camera?

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
Submission for ResetEra's Official Level Competition

mario.jpg

Level Name: Infiltration

Description: Bowser's ultimate airship is fast approaching, sneak on board and destroy it from the inside, then escape in one piece.

New features used: Vertical scrolling, scroll stop, swinging claws, on off switch, slopes.

3ND VC2 HRG

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Submission for ResetEra's Official Level Competition

mario.jpg

Level Name: Infiltration

Description: Bowser's ultimate airship is fast approaching, sneak on board and destroy it from the inside, then escape in one piece.

New features used: Vertical scrolling, scroll stop, swinging claws, on off switch, slopes.

3ND VC2 HRG
How do you change character in single player mode?

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017

Sure, I got 3 story levels for now, starting work on the more mechanics based ones tomorrow!

The Lakitu: A Tale Of Friendship - NPB 3CY-5QG

This one is about a Lakitu befriending you, and the consequences of that. It has 2 endings, and it got really popular due to Vinesauce streaming it lol. This is a remake of a Wii U level I made almost 5 years ago too.

Goombas: A Hero's Tale Of Madness - 9TP-2TH-BHF

This one is a reimagining of my most popular level on the Wii U. Unfortunately since costumes are gone, you can't play as the Goomba, so I had to change this level quite a bit to make up for that!

The Yoshis: A Tale Of Alliances - 7VX-HDR-2TG

This is my first completely original story level for Super Mario Maker 2. It's about a Yoshi couple finding Bowser's last hideout. It's sorta a light puzzle level at first, but some story beats happen and things get a bit crazy!

This one took a LONG time to make (I started prototyping it last month on the Wii U). This one is more challenging than the other two, and like The Lakitu, it also has two endings. However, the ending is more skill based than that one. If you get the bad ending, look to the edge of the screen in the sub area right before the bad ending, and you'll see how to get the good ending!

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
There is a shocking lack of friend interaction in this game. Is there seriously no way to see friend leaderboards/what your friends have been liking/playing?

Core Zero

Oct 25, 2017
hey guys, I made a second level!
It is basic platforming, no trolly thing.

If anyone interested : 3LH-SR1-DJF

tell me what your thought if you played! :D

WR, 1'54" ! Definitely a tougher type of course but not unfair or too taxing. Even though I'm using them right now in a level I'm building, I don't know how I feel about using spike traps for tight jumps. I feel like the hitbox is too big and could use a little more leniency, but there's not always a good substitute. Good level though and nice look to it.

Shayla

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm getting this tomorrow after a slight delay. Does the eShop version of the Nintendo online bundle still stack? It said it did prerelease but it doesn't say it on the eShop anymore so just making sure.

Oct 29, 2017
Made a level this afternoon, a fun little runner with a few different ways to complete the course. Nothing crazy gimmicky, justI like creating levels that allow fluidity in movement. Lots of dashing and well-timed jumped involved, but easy enough to complete without much frustration.

Luigi's Leaps of Faith
5W9-MW8-NVG

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Still exploring the toolset, but I made a level. Has some difficult bits, but if you explore you can find neat things :)

Called "All for a Switch", the course ID is WSD-4TW-K8G

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The confusion came from me trying to build only up to the ceiling I'd built myself - not the ceiling of the building space.

I don't think it's entirely intuitive that you have to build as far up as you can to stop horizontal camera movement in vertical space, when in horizontal space you can lock the vertical camera movement by building only one screen's height (or halfway up the entire building space) and the horizontal movement by building a wall up to that ceiling. I figured that vertical spaces would also lock the camera within the confines of what you built if you similarly built the level a certain width, kind of inversely to how it works in horizontal spaces.

However, it seem like your only option for locking horizontal camera in vertical space is to build all the way up to the top of the building space, and vertical camera locking doesn't exist at all in those spaces. I guess the latter kinda makes sense since there's not going to be a flag pole at the top, so you can limit the vertical camera by just limiting the amount of vertical building space, but it does still very slightly limit what you can do visually if you also want a locked horizontal camera because you have to build something all the way to the top. It's not a big deal, though.

You can scroll lock vertical in a vertical sub area. You have to build a solid line of ground tiles the entire 2 screens space across the vertical area. The the screen wont scroll past the top of that portion. Play with the editor a little more.

?oe?oe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You sneak onto a ship for treasure, however the ship falls under attack!

Mutiny: 36W-9H9-HNF

Thought I keep a theme and aesthetics.

Time flies when you are making a level!!! Time for food. Will check out some of your levels when I return!

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
WR, 1'54" ! Definitely a tougher type of course but not unfair or too taxing. Even though I'm using them right now in a level I'm building, I don't know how I feel about using spike traps for tight jumps. I feel like the hitbox is too big and could use a little more leniency, but there's not always a good substitute. Good level though and nice look to it.

Thanks for playing! Yeah the spike hitbox in this game is definitely bigger than previous.
but without them I can't think of anything as effective for precision type of course (for now at least)

Polynaut

Oct 27, 2017
Hey thread, I posted my first level here yesterday to a very nice reception, and today I made a second:

Mario's Ski Vacation
5RR-9N7-7TF

It's way longer and more ambitious than my first level, with secrets and three big coins to find, if you don't want to blast through.
Great level! After I beat it I went back to get the WR. It had a great flow to it, I loved it!

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As much as I love playing levels in this game, I have to say 80% of them are just bad. People lack the basic understanding of how to make a level. Full size levels with 300 things that can kill you and no check points. Blind jumps, surprise holes or enemies....

Sometimes it's just frustrating to play the shit people post.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I made a SMB3 autoscroll level with basic yet precise platforming and a boss fight. It's nothing too inventive but I'd appreciate feedback regarding the pacing.

R05-8LY-8PF

Pineconn

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Take a journey through the 9 Circles of Hell: it's Mari-ante's Inferno! You may find the devil itself...

RBB-N0T-PMF

This took me hours to make... never again, lol. I'm ridiculously proud of it, though. It's more of a puzzle course where I tried to keep death potential at a happy medium.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome level! Really liked all the enemies jumping above the pipe lol.
I would say the koopa troops jump near the end is a bit hard to do if you don't go the first time.
But really cool, good challenge but fair as well

Thanks for playing!

On a somewhat related note, is there no way to tweak a level that's already been uploaded and then re-uploaded it? I've tried doing that, even with a different name, and get a message that the level has already been uploaded. Is there a minimum amount of changes that need to be made for it to allow you to upload a modified level?

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I definitely want to see Super Mario 2D World next. Mario has never animated so well in 2D as he does in the 3D World style.

Also the Story Mode in this game is really excellent, I feel like it got downplayed pre-release. The levels are fun and many are challenging without being sadistic.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
It's surprising that there's no way to just check out levels made by people on your friends list.

Also, I see the limits for comments on a level is 9999. The Switch x Switch level is full up, though some of the drawn comments are probably against their TOS.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Indulge me with feedback.
FWF N81 PMF
This level was dope! I loved the asthetics! Lots of super cute stuff going on it.
Made a pair of short ones that'll take ya a minute. Ones for a speed run the other for a puzzle segment. Was going to make them the same level but broke it up. Have fun!

HD9-20H-WRG

9KF-834-RKF
The Yoshi one caught me off. I tried my hardest to get him across that damn gap haha, poor guy. I loved the concept of the Goombud level, the only problem was if you didn't nail it first shot, you had to die or restart, but it's not a big deal. Loved it!
An "easy" speed run level:
YWY-01M-NMF

A themed level:

3LM-Q3J-2TG
Speed run level was a lot of fun. The ant level I was into, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out what to do at the end. The ant kept getting stuck in a single place and I don't even know how I could have made an impact on his movements? It's especially tough with a full size Meowser flying all over the place.
How about my platforming desert ruin level for a starter? :D

3LH-SR1-DJF
Great level. Love the way it was built and the use of the platforms. My only suggestion is to put a checkpoint in there somewhere lol that spike maze had my heart pumping, but it seemed like that was your intent!

Well, back into it!

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Here is one of my original levels from Super Mario Maker 1. Lots of Piranha Plants, traps, and ending with a Bowser Boss fight.

Did you get to the secret room in time?

Bowser's Piranha Plant Castle "SMM2 Edition"
ID: 5PL-PRR-TQF

Whales

Oct 25, 2017

since you proposed, play any of mine that you feel like it :p (and also, if anyone else could play some of my levels, id appreciate any kind of feedback or comments!!)

My newest level in 3d world theme: a kart level where you have to keep the kart alive until the end, it comes with a little 3 red coins secret

Super 3D Kart
7QB 5YX 4BG

a SMB3 swing based level, the first part is pretty rough but once you get to the second part it becomes way easier (I keep messing up pacing like this, next time I have to switch them out to have a proper difficulty curve.. lol). I wanted to try out a vertical sub area. This one is on the harder side (clear rate is like under 2% at the moment) so you could just give it a shot (theres no kaizo stuff in there)

Swing Drop Frost
FK4 LGB RHF

(SMW): an airship level where I tried to recreate an airship interior a bit. The level is on the easier side

Inside the airship
RNM 4YB Y1H

My 1st level(SMW): a night time frozen ghost house, with a few traps and you gotta find the exit. Its not very long and I find that its still myfavorite level of the bunch

lil tricky ghost house

R45 Y74 3DG

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
Alright I made my first level. It's pretty standard and it's my first Mario Maker level ever. I would love some input!

It's a 3D World snow level. Fairly short and sweet.

Alpine Explorations: 3S0-WTY-J0H

Last edited:

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017
D-VuWVKUcAAcmbZ.jpg

The Tribe of Ozomahtli
743-QWR-KVG

Acting as a spiritual sequel of sorts to my pretty successful adventure, The Kingdom of Abanoub, this level takes you to an ancient tribe that once worshipped this generous god. The divinity turned rogue however, and his shrine, his statue is now the symbol of his evil intentions. You stopped Abanoub's curse, I'm sure you're up to get inside Ozomahtli's statue, get the gems from his arms and legs, then enter his head and try to take down the entire structure, hopefully without causing too much destruction around it. So, fellow adventurer. Do you feel up for the task?

The level is a fairly long one with multiple areas inside the statue, all with different themes and challenges. It has a little visual narrative going on, with a couple tricks that I enjoyed creating for your enjoyment. It's fairly simple in terms of difficulty, though there's a few tricky parts where I have a decent amount of mushrooms aiding your ride (I think there's around like 10 all around the stage, neither of them hidden). It's an adventure, one I've put a lot of time into (can't say exactly but it's probably 5-6 hours overall) and that I'd love to hear your impressions.

Loved it. The final part with the rumbling rocks made me wish for a boss fight but nonetheless I had lots of fun.

Choco Hunt.
Super Mario World themed chocolate level.

Modified the base of a template level to turn it into minor puzzle solving and exploration. Intended for my 10 year old son and he suggested I upload it.

M0S-CKN-7TF

I liked that layout and exploration! The Bowser fight was easier than intended I think (you can beat him by having him inside the blocks when they switch.)

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
Here is one of my original levels from Super Mario Maker 1. Lots of Piranha Plants, traps, and ending with a Bowser Boss fight.

Did you get to the secret room in time?

Bowser's Piranha Plant Castle "SMM2 Edition"
ID: 5PL-PRR-TQF

that was a pretty good castle level.. felt like a real nintendo level to me. I found the secret room too :p and for once in these levels the bowser fight was actually fun lol

TW6-BDY-T2G a tricky level I made yesterday. My friend said it's too hard for him lol.

Wish I could make more coherent stuff

fun level too ,although very cheesable... I just used to bombs to destroy the wall on the right of the pswitch at the start and went from there straight to the koopas, theres a convenient hole too so with thight jumping I can even bring to shell hat with me lol

Last edited:

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
I've only gotten to play an hour or so each night since launch because of work, but just wanted to say the story mode levels so far have been superb! They even seem to give a reason for 1-ups and coins, which MM1 was lacking. I'm sure you all are building some awesome levels (and some of you a bunch of shit, lol), and I can't wait to check them out. But as an off-line experience, I'm 25% in story mode and have loved every minute.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've only gotten to play an hour or so each night since launch because of work, but just wanted to say the story mode levels so far have been superb! They even seem to give a reason for 1-ups and coins, which MM1 was lacking. I'm sure you all are building some awesome levels (and some of you a bunch of shit, lol), and I can't wait to check them out. But as an off-line experience, I'm 25% in story mode and have loved every minute.
Yeah, the story mode is so meaty and well crafted. Probably my biggest surprise out of the game.