• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
D-VuWVKUcAAcmbZ.jpg

The Tribe of Ozomahtli
743-QWR-KVG

Acting as a spiritual sequel of sorts to my pretty successful adventure, The Kingdom of Abanoub, this level takes you to an ancient tribe that once worshipped this generous god. The divinity turned rogue however, and his shrine, his statue is now the symbol of his evil intentions. You stopped Abanoub's curse, I'm sure you're up to get inside Ozomahtli's statue, get the gems from his arms and legs, then enter his head and try to take down the entire structure, hopefully without causing too much destruction around it. So, fellow adventurer. Do you feel up for the task?

The level is a fairly long one with multiple areas inside the statue, all with different themes and challenges. It has a little visual narrative going on, with a couple tricks that I enjoyed creating for your enjoyment. It's fairly simple in terms of difficulty, though there's a few tricky parts where I have a decent amount of mushrooms aiding your ride (I think there's around like 10 all around the stage, neither of them hidden). It's an adventure, one I've put a lot of time into (can't say exactly but it's probably 5-6 hours overall) and that I'd love to hear your impressions.
Love your levels, this was the best one. Atmosphere is 10/10. You managed to improve a lot, keep working for us lol.

Oct 25, 2017
like you said, it is indeed a very long level with no checkpoint, and the wind makes the level harder,
I tried several times and got the POW but I don't know what to do and got killed by drybone.

I like the level idea and the theme is well executed, I love the plane.
but a level this long without checkpoint is too hardcore for my taste.
I agree. Although I can cope with the wind, but the POW is fragile as fuck. Right now I am stuck at the area where you have to bring the POW up the claw and then to the right after you enabled a vine up to the claw. If you throw the POW up it can happen that the claw immediately drops it again and sometimes I am too stupid and throw the POW to the side and it explodes. Since the cra I will try it again soon and eventually beat it. But expect your level to be in Super Expert soon. Maybe I am not that good of a player, but that shit can be brutal. Maybe there should be back-up-POWs on the way back.

Nonetheless, you deserve the heart and the follow because your level is genious (judging the parts I saw until now). The structures and machinery you had to build to let all that stuff happening in the second half was probably not easy. Also creating the level where you have to beat it twice or backtrack is far from easy, since you can break a lot by doing so. Also it's difficult to show the players the right way.

Nintendo should just enable checkpoints for objective based levels. The creator has to beat it from every checkpoint either way, so what's the problem?

Thanks for playing, both.

I actually prototyped a few of the rooms in SMM1, then had to throw out most of that work and nerf it all to the ground because when I finally got my hands on SMM2, it was clear that I underestimated just how tricky maneuvering in the desert wind can be. It's like swapping conveyor belts, globally, once every few seconds. Before I uploaded, I spent hours today just reducing difficulty.

But then I realized that no matter how much I reduced the damage sources and provided mushrooms all over the place, it's inherent in the theme and structure that accidentally chucking the POW very late in the stage is going to be the thing that kills most runs, and there just isn't much I can do to make it easier while retaining the integrity of the "companion cube" idea. There is a very clear midpoint in this stage where a checkpoint should be, but past that, even with checkpoints or reset doors, there is so much one-time stage manipulation that letting the player backtrack would break everything. I wish there were a way to make losing the only POW explicitly display a failure message (like failing the "don't jump" condition) so the player doesn't have to wonder.

I knew going in that endurance over a long, long stage with no checkpoints is going to be what kills the clear rate, not the difficulty of specific segments, which I tuned to be easier than most of my Expert-rated stages in SMM1. (That, and everybody's new to both desert wind and the claw; I probably have more experience with those two than most of the world at this point, since I got so much practice in the course of building this level.) So I took a leaf out of the long no-checkpoint stages in DKCTF (or for that matter 3DW—hence the choice of music) and at least tried to make sure that the early segments of the stage, especially the first half, can be sped through very quickly with a bit of practice. But I agree that it's going to wind up in Super Expert because of the length alone. I think there should be a place for clear-condition courses that are huge, full-sized experiences, though, and I hope that even people who dropped it halfway after a few attempts are getting some fun out of it anyway.

First clear is still up for grabs, by the way. For those skimming the thread, we're talking about WL5-40G-JRF.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone with good classic Mario levels? IOW, ones with some length to them and that may feature more than one "gimmick" per level and are good tests of platforming and "endurance" with a dash of creativity rather than being laser focused on one concept like Mario Maker creations tend to be?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love your levels, this was the best one. Atmosphere is 10/10. You managed to improve a lot, keep working for us lol.

Thank you buddy! I love building stuff, always been very serious about creative games like TrackMania, Minecraft, etc., and since I kinda missed out on Maker 1 (bummer) I was only naturally gonna do a lot here. I know I can still improve in some areas, but I am already rather satisfied with this level. I wasn't sure I was gonna pull off the arms and legs well enough or make the destruction feel real enough but I'm glad I somehow did.

Layth

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished making a level:

Easy Fall/Hard Climb
Course ID: C69-53X-0BG

I aimed for a more traditional kind of level with the difficulty tuned to be on par with a Mario course you would find in a world 8.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I end up making courses which are much harder for people than I intend them to be. Anyone have this problem?

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Successfully finished my second level here. It's much more ambitious than the first, though I don't know how well I translated my intention into the design itself. Meant to be a bit of a brainscratcher, but I feel like someone could figure it all out easily enough.

CVW-1Y3-S3G

fR3vDhM.jpg

Mario needs your help. It's cold and there are ghosts after him.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hah, I was expecting slow to last a bit longer than it did, as a result I got caught with my pants down early on.

Really liked this, the timings of block switching are juuuuust right to make it a constant case of keeping pace without going too fast and missing the next blink or anything else that could break the careful design.
I collected all the big coins like a cool dude, I probably died a bit more than expected because I keep thinking 3D World style air spin is gonna be like NSMBU style, it is not!
Thanks for the feedback. I spent more time than I'd care to admit making sure the 'dangerous' timed sections felt urgent but (hopefully) not too harsh. The level was intended for the average player to be able to complete it. No need to make the areas too hard when it isn't specifically Kaizo. Those levels might come later, lol.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
No munchers and blue/red blocks on 3D world theme? Wanted an enemy that needed pow to kill it.

Layth

Oct 27, 2017
I end up making courses which are much harder for people than I intend them to be. Anyone have this problem?

That makes sense. Your own levels are always going to be easier for you than other people. Even as you tweak it and rearrange some things, you're still practicing your own level as you're making it.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I had a few good connections in versus multiplayer, so I guess it just comes down to matching 3 people with a good wired connection which is rare. lol

I don't think this has regional matchmaking, either. I was playing a few Japanese people before which of course would really lag the matches.

Wozzer

QA Architect at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Its very well done just to clear it, but theres a couple of frames at the most to clear the shell jump. I'll give it another go later unless someone's cleared it.
I have given up. After spending over an hour on the shell jump, I don't think I'm any closer to getting past it, let alone clearing the whole course

Appreciate the effort folks! Still searching for that first clear, but is looking likely to get that Super Expert rating based on the current tries and struggles.

iEIO39N.jpg

Reposting for anyone up to the challenge lol

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone with good classic Mario levels? IOW, ones with some length to them and that may feature more than one "gimmick" per level and are good tests of platforming and "endurance" with a dash of creativity rather than being laser focused on one concept like Mario Maker creations tend to be?

I hope you like it.
My first level
YMP-BRH-QYG

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Successfully finished my second level here. It's much more ambitious than the first, though I don't know how well I translated my intention into the design itself. Meant to be a bit of a brainscratcher, but I feel like someone could figure it all out easily enough.

CVW-1Y3-S3G

fR3vDhM.jpg

Mario needs your help. It's cold and there are ghosts after him.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
Heres a short level I put together, its not that great but may as well see if anyone would like it.

R66-P1k-F1G

Also is it just me or is the slightly bigger UI messing with anyone in maker mode? Right when I tried it out something just felt wrong, so I turned on mario maker 1 and noticed the UI in 2 covers a little bit more of the screen and it slightly zoomed in more.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
Made my first level. It become longer than what I had on my mind. A big forest section with small room-puzzles you need to solve to advance, and an also puzzle boss you reach after that.

SMW style to fit the Forest of Illusion levels of the original.

17V-B2F-LRF

silverhick

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Era. Been really enjoying everyone's levels in the thread. Put together my first one this morning and just uploaded it. Still experimenting but was going for a Super Hexagon kind of vibe. Would appreciate any feedback. Enjoy!

Fire Water Bros.
MBR-NKH-F1G

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Made my first two levels. The first is my attempt to translate the Moon dungeon from the original Legend of Zelda to a Mario level, and the second is just my first shot at a straightforward Mario level. Hope you enjoy!

T5F-3X3-WTF
C8N-4DG-9XF

Also, are notifications weird for everyone? I have like 25 plays on one of my levels but I keep getting notifications that "2 people have now played your level". Is that just supposed to mean 2 MORE people played it?

Oct 27, 2017
Try my first level! PFB-CLM-7GF

3D world Style vertical climb. Not too long or difficult.

"Treacherous Tree Climb: A treacherous climb filled with bees, trees, bullets & bullies"

Let me know what you think, all feedback welcome!

Last edited:

Agent_J

Oct 30, 2017
Don't you get any lag?

That's all I get when playing multiplayer :(

Maybe it's my Internet 🤔
Nope, it's the game. I've played a lot of online VS and although it's mostly good, when there is lag it is unbearable! And I have decent 200 meg internet, though with the shitty Switch WiFi it only got 14 mbps when I tested today.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anybody know how to pick up and toss other players in multiplayer?
Seems to be possible to do this in every style but SMB1, but so far I haven't figured out how yet...

Oct 28, 2017
Choco Hunt.
Super Mario World themed chocolate level.

Modified the base of a template level to turn it into minor puzzle solving and exploration. Intended for my 10 year old son and he suggested I upload it.

M0S-CKN-7TF
I wouldn't say it's exactly minor lol. Probably should put a door at the end that leads back to the beginning so people won't get stuck if they miss a 10 coin. Either way I enjoyed the challenge.
Good level, sometimes hard but good
Gave this a try - really fun exploration-based level, but if you reach the end without all five coins, I don't think there's a way to make it back through the lava room.

Thank you all for taking the time to try my level and give feedback. I took the suggestion and added a door in case you need to go back to get missed coins. I should have thought of that!

Modified version M0S-CKN-7TF

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
How do you use empty / non-mob items when creating a level? I've come across a few levels that do this but can't figure out how to do so. For example, placing an empty shoe instead of the goomba shoe, or placing a normal shell instead of an actual Koopa.

Last edited:

_Malus_

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I am amazed by the huge amount of great levels posted here. :D

Maybe my levels are not as good... but I would like to share them nonetheless:

Enter the Dry Bones Crypt (SMB3 style):
FP8-RSL-KTG

King Koopa's Mystery Tower (3d World Style):
1T9-31H-PLG

For the second one I have to apologize in advance for the poor mid boss fight. I should have made Pom Pom her regular size, I feel. But other than that I liked what I have come up with.
Both are more or less standard Mario levels with some theme. The Dry Bones Crypt has a more puzzle and secret focussed approach though. XD

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017

That sounds like my old Mario Maker 1 stages. You might like a few of the stages I uploaded. I'm working on another tonight that might fit your request better.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And yeah, multiplayer versus is a blast, even with the lag.
The best moments so far are the two times when all 4 of us are stumped in a level that doesn't work with 4 players in mind (botched autoplay) or is just really crappy in design. The competition turns into co-operation and people try to bounce one another up and get atleast one person towards the end so we don't just end in a time over, lol.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Some footage of two of my most recent courses: 2-3 Barry Boo's Horror House and 2-4 Boom Boom's Sky Deck.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
My 2nd level. I made it easier than the previous, but it may still have a few tricky parts.

Welcome to Pipe Zone - M0G-GP2-DYG

And my previous level, which I'm happy to see people have enjoyed
Sub Zero Ice Munch - M0G-GP2-DYG
Also, yes, it's a Digimon dub reference name lol

May 25, 2019
London
Amazing. Thanks mate. Looking forward to your feedback :)

Beat it on the flight. Really liked it, got stuck going for the third red coin because I couldn't consistently nail the jump through without taking damage. I started experimenting with bringing one of the springs from the 2nd red coin forward to go over the spike blocks and grab a shell on the other side to get it.

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
My latest course is named Windy Claw. Any guesses what it's about?

K7B-XQ5-J1G

My levels so far have been in the 20-40% clear rate range, but judging from the difficulty I had in clearing it myself, this one might be a bit lower. Always interested in hearing feedback!

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I made another Mario Kart level, this time through a ghost house. If anyone has any interest in getting it into circulation heres the code

KT5-WPC-CWG

It gets a lot easier in the second half!

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Made a new level. This time a spooky sun ghost house. Mario has broken into the Sun's home to steal his coins. Will he prevail!?

KTY-CMC-L8G

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
My latest course is named Windy Claw. Any guesses what it's about?

K7B-XQ5-J1G

My levels so far have been in the 20-40% clear rate range, but judging from the difficulty I had in clearing it myself, this one might be a bit lower. Always interested in hearing feedback!

Enjoyed the setting, the mix of wind and claws made for a great level that provided enough challenge without being frustrating!

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
Appreciate the effort folks! Still searching for that first clear, but is looking likely to get that Super Expert rating based on the current tries and struggles.

iEIO39N.jpg

Reposting for anyone up to the challenge lol

long time lurker.. made an account literally to whine about the time sunk into this. that shell jump is tricky, I literally made a practice chamber to work on it. ive gotten it a few times now in the stage, what am I supposed to do after spin jumping up the spike tops, if I have to do some kinda crazy spring tech under those spikes im gonna cry

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I made another Mario Kart level, this time through a ghost house. If anyone has any interest in getting it into circulation heres the code

KT5-WPC-CWG

It gets a lot easier in the second half!

I can't get past the snake block section. any advice?

Those hanging Chain Chomps got me once because I made a bit of a blind high jump, but other than that, fun level!

Thanks! Im surprised how much I enjoy making. I think I only made like 3 levels total in MM1