• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
while I had fun in the first part, because of gravity on the stage it is kind of slow to get the coins, which is fine. But then I got to a part where lava started rising instantly before I had even time to react/gauge what I was supposed to be doing and boom, death and back to the start to redo everything, and with super slow falling speed and all, this isnt very fun to restart (Especially since I dont know if ill die to the lava again.. lol)
Ah yeah - I had a checkpoint at the door before this but checkpoints don't save the amount of coins you'd found. I thought it'd be tedious to start there and have to get all the pink coins again, so I got rid of it. But that lava is probably insta-death unless you're super quick.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, here it is, my first course ever in a Mario Maker game:
5YD-XHB-J0H

It's the Super Mario 3D World style with simple stuff. My Mario Maker course building skills will hopefully evolve in the next weeks.

Thanks for a playthrough and maybe a small review...

:)

Edit: Wrong code, mistook a 0 for an O.

Solid first attempt! Only thing I can think of is that there are a few subareas to explore but they're a little out of the way and there's not much reward for exploring them (outside coins). But other than that I'm looking forward to seeing what else you cook up!

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Omg YES. Endless mode is amazing.

I mean you could wake up and play a new Mario level every single day if you wanted.

It's amazing!!
Absolutely, it is like having an infinite Mario game. For the moment I basically only played the story mode and user-created levels and it would be worth it, then I am trying to create my own level but it is taking some time because I have to understand how the editor works. But absolutely, Mario Maker is not only about making, but particularly about playing. Then I suppose the community will be quite alive, so in a year' time I imagine there will be still new levels.

Aaaaaand bought! Thanks for the quick responses!!

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Broken ground on my second level and it's looking good. "Tower of Torment". Another challenging pure-platformer but themed. Want to really soak in each part and add some detail, so will likely be a few days.

Travel the broken road into the Tower of Torment. Can you scale the ever-harrowing layers of the tower to find the mystery treasure at the top?

Or will you meet your fate down in the lava pit with the rest of the would-be heroes...

Also, only two people (currently) have beaten my first level:

(Pure Platforming -- 3L3-8SB-RGG)

If anyone wants to give it a go. The first jump sets a bit of a bar, it's real tough in spots, basic and a bit rough and ready but it still offers challenge if you're wanting it. I've learned a lot, so appreciate the people that have given it a shot!

Also you can ignore the mushroom, it's there to distract on the last drop-down and only saves you a single jump.

ToT will be more paced difficulty wise and themed, now I've gotten used to the basics a bit. At least most people will be able to see the main part of the level this time 😂

Last edited:

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
First level up, Descent into Madness! I'll level trade indefinitely for whoever lands the first clear lol

oUW5S0x.jpg

iEIO39N.jpg

Good luck! Let me know your thoughts anyone who welcomes a descent into madness :D

got no idea what to do after the first switch either :`

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
First part get a shell up the vines!

Get another shell, and use it to boost yourself up the now open red block path next to the falling floating bar. You bounce the shell against the spikes on the up momentum.

I really need that first clear lol /sweating
Where do you throw the shell even on the second part? Figured you'd need to use a second shell to boost, but can't for the life of me figure out where I can throw it to get up

Oct 25, 2017
First level up, Descent into Madness! I'll level trade indefinitely for whoever lands the first clear lol

oUW5S0x.jpg

iEIO39N.jpg

Good luck! Let me know your thoughts anyone who welcomes a descent into madness :D

So I've been at it for a while now, but it's a bit obtuse in what it wants me to do. Surely it isn't intended to do a shell jump in power right corner after hitting first on/off Switch?

protown

Oct 30, 2017
Made a level for my nephew's birthday. It's more about the pixel art than the level design, his name means Lion.

9Y3-QLS-QYG

Edited my course ID so now its correct.

Last edited:

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
First part get a shell up the vines!

Get another shell, and use it to boost yourself up the now open red block path next to the falling floating bar. You bounce the shell against the spikes on the up momentum.

I really need that first clear lol /sweating

Yeah, I'm gonna leave it be. Too hard for me and I have to do the switch section every time I fail. Good luck with that first clear, though.

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked it! Some of the goomba spawns were annoying, but that may have been the point! Keep it up!

Thank you very much :D

I tried to make a level fun and not frustrating so I am glad you enjoyed it ;)

This level is alright. I have two main complaints though:

1) Checkpoint placement - a spiny comes flying at you after about 2 seconds, and is hard to react to if you restart from it. Checkpoints should always be in 'safe' areas.
2) Enemy spam - you chucked a lot of enemies on some conveyor belts, and it most cases, they just fell off the conveyor belt before Mario reached them.

Other than that, the level is alright. Not great, but not bad either.

Thanks all for the feedback, appreciate you taking the time to check it out!

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I've made a few new levels, but I'm still most proud of my Escape The Crane Game! level. You get shrunken down inside a claw machine and need to use the swinging claws to make your way out. When you reach the end, you're rewarded with 1-ups, coins and other fun stuff! I'm really proud of myself for this, and I'd love to get some feedback, and constructive criticism!

GXW-TM6-4VG
Very nice stage! One thing that went wrong for me was at the top of the first series of claws, the placement of coins along the wall made me think you were guiding me to wall jump to reach the next claw. I tried many times before realizing it just didn't work! The actual jump you had planned was perfectly sensible.

I don't like that the final jump to the flag is so rude. After the big celebration animation and gifts I didn't expect further challenge. Especially as I just fought a boss, and have to do it again now! Seeing all those other Red Xs in the pit is a bummer.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Man, making levels with a controller is abysmal. Im sure it just takes time to get used to it, but holy hell, I dont think I will ever take the time to learn.

Ordering a stylus ASAP.

Also - the online lag is unbearable. How on earth does Nintendo get away with charging for Online when THIS is what we get?

After some time with it I actually think editing with the controller is pretty solid. The only things I would add is having the shoulder buttons have multi grab and copy and allowing between hold and toggle.

Do we have a google spreadsheet with everyone's maker ID. I'd rather just follow people here directly and that way I can check my follows when new stuff pops up.

I finally found some creative vision. Just had to throw lots of shit on the canvas until I got a start I liked. Working hard on my new level.

Anyone who has levels that are unplayed just quote me with the ID. I wanna give some feedback for new players :)

bulletbill10

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is a repeat from a few pages back, but still looking for someone to play it, if anyone is interested in some puzzles:

See-Saw Slopes: TFY-523-TYF

Thanks to anyone who tries it. One of the puzzles is kind of janky, but they can all be done with the items clearly in each room.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Spent all day remaking one of my levels from SMM1 and found out that Bowser acts differently now. He spams fireballs everywhere, even at high distances. Gotta change it a lot :(

Wozzer

QA Architect at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
got no idea what to do after the first switch either :`
Where do you throw the shell even on the second part? Figured you'd need to use a second shell to boost, but can't for the life of me figure out where I can throw it to get up
So I've been at it for a while now, but it's a bit obtuse in what it wants me to do. Surely it isn't intended to do a shell jump in power right corner after hitting first on/off Switch?

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I always think I've ensured I've fixed any seeing beyond solid wall problems....and then make something small with a knock on effect of tanking the whole structure and ruining my roomy illusion.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
This is a repeat from a few pages back, but still looking for someone to play it, if anyone is interested in some puzzles:

See-Saw Slopes: TFY-523-TYF

Thanks to anyone who tries it. One of the puzzles is kind of janky, but they can all be done with the items clearly in each room.

Just to let you know, it's super easy to bring the P Switch into the following rooms since all you need to clear the yellow blocks is the trampoline. Didn't seem like it mattered much but still something to consider. I can see the influence from Nintendo's own desert palace see-saw level and would love to see an expanded version of this with more rooms. Good job!

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Very nice stage! One thing that went wrong for me was at the top of the first series of claws, the placement of coins along the wall made me think you were guiding me to wall jump to reach the next claw. I tried many times before realizing it just didn't work! The actual jump you had planned was perfectly sensible.

I don't like that the final jump to the flag is so rude. After the big celebration animation and gifts I didn't expect further challenge. Especially as I just fought a boss, and have to do it again now! Seeing all those other Red Xs in the pit is a bummer.

You're so right about the final jump. Making the level, I wanted to give the players a way to use the Yoshi, but reaching the top of the claw machine to get the coins does that. I regret that final jump.

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
This is not mine but 1wv-79x-4ff is one of best user made levels I've played. Found it in endless challenge and it felt like a legit Mario level. Really liked it. Called Bowsers Flamespike Fortress

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it! Glad you liked the crane part :) I'm actually really stuck on your level, can't figure out for the life of me how to get into that green pipe, you break the blocks next to the bombs to get them down to the lower level to break that one block and then I'm stuck. Only having one cat suit in that area makes it difficult too, especially when the first area had a pipe spitting out multiple cat bells. I'm sure the solution is super easy but I can't figure it out lol. Probably need to get the green spring guys to get you up? I bet I'm a major idiot and I'll hate myself when I figure it out lol
Did you figure it out/beat the level in the end? If not you want me to give you the solution?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible for us to have a separate thread for people to post their levels, and this thread be contained to discussion about the game? I'm trying to stick mostly to the story right now, and like reading this thread, but 90% of it is level codes for peoples' levels.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Well, here it is, my first course ever in a Mario Maker game:
5YD-XHB-J0H

It's the Super Mario 3D World style with simple stuff. My Mario Maker course building skills will hopefully evolve in the next weeks.

Thanks for a playthrough and maybe a small review...

:)

Edit: Wrong code, mistook a 0 for an O.

Good level. You built some really fun bonus room explore areas. I liked the long jump one especially. Good job.
My first level
YMP-BRH-QYG

I liked this. The above ground portion was sort of slow but once you get underground it really picks up. I liked the twisters with the saw blade portion the most. Good job.

bulletbill10

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just to let you know, it's super easy to bring the P Switch into the following rooms since all you need to clear the yellow blocks is the trampoline. Didn't seem like it mattered much but still something to consider. I can see the influence from Nintendo's own desert palace see-saw level and would love to see an expanded version of this with more rooms. Good job!

Thank you for the feedback! I'd definitely like to expand upon it, but I find myself impatient, since I want to play levels just as much if not more!

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Is everyone's network play matches laggy?

I figured as much it wasn't go to be perfect but it's kinda disappointing because if it was better I would play that mode almost exclusively but the input delay and lag makes it worthless because of how precise you have to be with these levels most of the time.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
My 1st level on Mario Maker 2
It took me a while and I'm not very happy about the result but still
If we were in Maker 1, I probably wouldn't post this one, I'm learning the rope with the new game so might as well post what I have.
Level is basically a testament to how much more you can do in this one compared to the WiiU game.
Water still sucks as far as I'm concerned.
I also created a dedicated twitter handle just for gaming publications

T1Y-0NS-QYG

My maker handle is Mael64 that way cool continuity from my Maker profile in the last one

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
pretty short, and I could have skipped the whole little first part by just running thru and taking the second koopas kart :p

something like this expanded and refined could be very fun
Yeah haha couple little tricks there did the first whomp getcha?

and yeah, want to flesh it out further but the cars don't really go that fast it seems. Must be a way to make them fasterb

IamPeacock

Feb 9, 2018
Belgium
Took the time to finish my first level.
It's very short and sweet, but tried to make a boss level. Don't expect Nintendo quality :-).

Hope someone plays it here.

Blooper's workout
T3N-YWR-1GG

First time I'm quoting my own reply, but will someone be kind enough to play my level?
It's been stuck at zero for a few hours.
It's really short btw :-)

Oct 28, 2017
What I love about this game is that when you're playing around with the editor and you have a plan in mind and set something up, it doesn't work as intended then you accidentally stumble across a discovery of something else by accident.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
First time I'm quoting my own reply, but will someone be kind enough to play my level?
It's been stuck at zero for a few hours.
It's really short btw :-)

So yeah err, why is this called Blooper's Workout? :)

I enjoyed the small two rooms you have but it is VERY short... The first area is a glorified auto-Mario but it is nice to see all the enemies you put into the scenery (I think the intention was for the Thwomps to smash the Ant Troopers but a couple of them escaped!)

The Bob-omb timer you have for the boss room is nice - I'd suggest to try expanding on that idea with more complex rooms.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Bringing this one back for feedback on karts
That first thwomp ain't fair! I mean, it takes no time at all to get back there BUT if an instant death the player has no chance at all of being aware of is the intro to the level people aren't going to be happy.

I have the world record though, so I'm happy enough.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Made another level! This one isn't a troll this time, but instead a (short) level of me playing around with the spike mechanics. It's fun, though, and there isn't anything unfair this time haha

3LY-9DF-LHG if anyone wants to give it a shot!

ferunnico

Oct 29, 2017
Is it possible for us to have a separate thread for people to post their levels, and this thread be contained to discussion about the game? I'm trying to stick mostly to the story right now, and like reading this thread, but 90% of it is level codes for peoples' levels.
Yeah, this thread is a bit of a mess right now. It moves so fast, it seems like half of the levels and questions posted here go unnoticed. Having one thread for levels and one for discussion would probably help quite a bit.

I'm also planning a Discord server for this very purpose, with different channels for level sharing, design discussion and general discussion.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
That first thwomp ain't fair! I mean, it takes no time at all to get back there BUT if an instant death the player has no chance at all of being aware of is the intro to the level people aren't going to be happy.

I have the world record though, so I'm happy enough.
It is to show you the perils for driving recklessly. Drive slower next time Mr. Foot :)

IamPeacock

Feb 9, 2018
Belgium
So yeah err, why is this called Blooper's Workout? :)

I enjoyed the small two rooms you have but it is VERY short... The first area is a glorified auto-Mario but it is nice to see all the enemies you put into the scenery (I think the intention was for the Thwomps to smash the Ant Troopers but a couple of them escaped!)

The Bob-omb timer you have for the boss room is nice - I'd suggest to try expanding on that idea with more complex rooms.

Thanks for your honest feedback.
I'm not very happy with the level itself. My main goal was to have that clear pipe prologue, and then make some sort of boss rush mode.

But building one boss and figuring out that bob-omb mechanism was hard enough and very time consuming. I really wanted to put something online so there you have it.

Thing is, I start with one idea and while implenenting, I'm coming up with new ideas so I'm constantly changing things.