• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Update: I beat it! And got the world record yay! Gave it a like. Autoscroll section was tough. Required a lot of trial and error but it was manageable after practice. Opening section and the rest of the level I never failed on.

Please play my level in response. 7DY-M8M-DGG

Okay I finally had time to play this and man was I impressed! At first thought the puzzles with the clear pipe were really clever but the thwomps took it to a new level and I'm definitely going to remember the parachuting thwomp for Cat Mario gameplay. The whole ending sequence really made me smile.

Christine

Oct 25, 2017
Gone
I love the Pipe World / World 7 aesthetic that you get from Forest theme in SMB3. It's a look I tried for in MM1 a couple times but could never really pull together before

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Picked it up today and didn't realize until I got home they woke me the NSO bundle for $55. Hell yeah.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is one of the most disappointing gaming experiences of my life. not the game itself, but discovering that after 25+ years of playing mario games i can't design a level worth shit.

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
My 3rd level(SMB3) a swing based level, the first part is pretty rough but once you get to the second part it becomes way easier (I keep messing up pacing like this, next time I have to switch them out to have a proper difficulty curve.. lol). I wanted to try out a vertical sub area. Comes with a little secret that isnt difficult to find

Swing Drop Frost
FK4 LGB RHF

My 2nd level (SMW): an airship level where I tried to recreate an airship interior a bit. The level is on the easier side I would say:

Inside the airship
RNM 4YB Y1H

My 1st level(SMW): a night time frozen ghost house, with a few traps and you gotta find the exit. Its not very long and I liked making it lol

lil tricky ghost house

R45 Y74 3DG

any feedback and about the designs would be appreciated. I have a huge list of era levels to play now so im gonna go do that lol

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
I'll write a proper level showcase for this later, but at long last, after a whole weekend of fighting against my Wii U habits for the copy/erase/select shoulder button bindings, I have made my first upload in SMM2.

It's entitled It Belongs in a Museum and the code is WL5-40G-JRF.

like you said, it is indeed a very long level with no checkpoint, and the wind makes the level harder,
I tried several times and got the POW but I don't know what to do and got killed by drybone.

I like the level idea and the theme is well executed, I love the plane.
but a level this long without checkpoint is too hardcore for my taste.

I agree. Although I can cope with the wind, but the POW is fragile as fuck. Right now I am stuck at the area where you have to bring the POW up the claw and then to the right after you enabled a vine up to the claw. If you throw the POW up it can happen that the claw immediately drops it again and sometimes I am too stupid and throw the POW to the side and it explodes. Since the cra I will try it again soon and eventually beat it. But expect your level to be in Super Expert soon. Maybe I am not that good of a player, but that shit can be brutal. Maybe there should be back-up-POWs on the way back.

Nonetheless, you deserve the heart and the follow because your level is genious (judging the parts I saw until now). The structures and machinery you had to build to let all that stuff happening in the second half was probably not easy. Also creating the level where you have to beat it twice or backtrack is far from easy, since you can break a lot by doing so. Also it's difficult to show the players the right way.

Nintendo should just enable checkpoints for objective based levels. The creator has to beat it from every checkpoint either way, so what's the problem?

TranseKuja

Mar 28, 2019
Hey I did a thing with a lot of bullet bills if you want to check it out

MR BILL'S WILD RIDE
(YH7-477-6GF)
D-UxTzZUwAATVNS.jpg:large

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
An interesting mechanic I've encountered: night mode in the desert setting causes wind to blow, but the wind is different depending on the theme:
SMB: alternates between blowing left, and not blowing
SMB3: alternates between blowing right and not blowing
SMW: alternates between blowing left and right
SMBU: always blowing to the right

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Yeah I've only had a few matches and they've been so laggy. And not fun for me to be honest. Much prefer the single player. The type of levels multiplayer brings up just seems to be so uninteresting.
I've only had a couple unplayably laggy matches. The one I played before my last post was 5 frames a second at best... I wish Nintendo would have some sort of filtering to let people with more stable connections play against one another.

There are some cool multiplayer levels, though, I played one called Mario Kart something, where 4 players picked a car and raced, hitting P switches and stuff that would put walls and such for other players. It was a pretty cool concept.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It seems crazy that you can't make doors to sub areas :/. I'm finding myself unpleasantly surprised by some of these weird omissions that were present in the original games.
Yep. Theres a lot of really weird choices here. Like why can the poison mushroom only be accessed in one particular level of super mario world? Why does there HAVE to be water in the forest levels? Why cant we make rising water levels in any other level? Why are there no on and off switches for mario 3d?

An interesting mechanic I've encountered: night mode in the desert setting causes wind to blow, but the wind is different depending on the theme:
SMB: alternates between blowing left, and not blowing
SMB3: alternates between blowing right and not blowing
SMW: alternates between blowing left and right
SMBU: always blowing to the right
And this. Why would they not give us the option to use these in any version?

javac

Oct 28, 2017
Update: finished your level! Actually enjoyed the second half much more. Using the on off switch to change the tracks to get the crane to pick up Bowser was really cool. I'd love to see that concept expanded more. Got frustrated again by the wind at the end though! Oh hey a mushroom lets pick that up oh wait the wind just turned on and pushed me in to the thwomp. It's stuff like that that frustrated me. But there's some really cool ideas there.
Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it! Glad you liked the crane part :) I'm actually really stuck on your level, can't figure out for the life of me how to get into that green pipe, you break the blocks next to the bombs to get them down to the lower level to break that one block and then I'm stuck. Only having one cat suit in that area makes it difficult too, especially when the first area had a pipe spitting out multiple cat bells. I'm sure the solution is super easy but I can't figure it out lol. Probably need to get the green spring guys to get you up? I bet I'm a major idiot and I'll hate myself when I figure it out lol

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I never really played the first Mario Maker but after completing Story Mode here and getting into Course World I feel like I'll never need another 2D Mario game again. Just playing people's courses and it's a never ending content stream. Having multiplayer co-op and versus is just icing on the cake.

Oct 28, 2017
Behold my magna opus: Demolition Squad

IZIwViH.jpg

I am super excited about this one. It has a bit of a puzzle element in the sense tjat you have to control how and when you blow up things. Man, I wish there was a feature to watch replays of people playing your levels.
Fantastic level one of my absolute favourites. One criticism. The part where you have to use the pipes to use the fire to set off the bobombs at the right time? Instead of a question block giving the player a mushroom you should have had a pipe with infinitely spawning mushrooms. Very annoying when a fire kills you at the bottom as you're solving the puzzle. Give the player a chance to go back and heal. Having to repeat from the checkpoint got a little frustrating. But otherwise I loved every minute of it very clever.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I never really played the first Mario Maker but after completing Story Mode here and getting into Course World I feel like I'll never need another 2D Mario game again. Just playing people's courses and it's a never ending content stream. Having multiplayer co-op and versus is just icing on the cake.
Yup in two days time there's already more great content (and I'm just talking about the best rated levels) that I will ever have the time to play.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Would love if anyone would help get my levels a playthrough to get them into circulation.

I have a race kart level

TPC-JTC-2GF

And two moving platform levels made in super mario world

F7R-QLS-WRG

0CV-F20-NKF

If you try them and have your own levels you want played to get them in circulation I'd be happy to play yours in return

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it! Glad you liked the crane part :) I'm actually really stuck on your level, can't figure out for the life of me how to get into that green pipe, you break the blocks next to the bombs to get them down to the lower level to break that one block and then I'm stuck. Only having one cat suit in that area makes it difficult too, especially when the first area had a pipe spitting out multiple cat bells. I'm sure the solution is super easy but I can't figure it out lol. Probably need to get the green spring guys to get you up? I bet I'm a major idiot and I'll hate myself when I figure it out lol
Sounds like you already have figured it out ;)

iKnackwurst

Oct 25, 2017
Feel free to try my second level if you like to solve puzzles! Its one of my old WiiU levels but i liked it so much i ported it over.

D-U5BsJUYAAJCfM.jpg:large

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
I made a fun tutorial so folks playing in easy mode would have something that actually engages them for a change:

Please Learn How to Play Mario!
Course ID: 1TF-C8F-YWG
Difficulty: Easy
Multiplayer friendly?: Yes

If there are any parents of young children out there, it'd be a good one for them to try or for you to play together. I'd love to hear your impressions.

pl5qJDJ.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
Okay I finally had time to play this and man was I impressed! At first thought the puzzles with the clear pipe were really clever but the thwomps took it to a new level and I'm definitely going to remember the parachuting thwomp for Cat Mario gameplay. The whole ending sequence really made me smile.
Thank you I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
this is one of the most disappointing gaming experiences of my life. not the game itself, but discovering that after 25+ years of playing mario games i can't design a level worth shit.

Same here, brother.

I love Mario. Have played Mario games more than any other in my life. Have played dozens and dozens of different Mario levels throughout my life. But when it comes to designing one, I couldn't design one for shit.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Gank the Goombrat!
9Y1-188-BXF

My goal with this level was to avoid falling into the same trap I fell into the last with, forcing the player into cramped hectic spaces. This level should be much more leisurely!

The objective of the course is to find all the Goombrats! There are 60 in total but it shouldn't feel too hard if I've done well. I'd love any honest feedback!

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Would love if anyone would help get my levels a playthrough to get them into circulation.

I have a race kart level

TPC-JTC-2GF

And two moving platform levels made in super mario world

F7R-QLS-WRG

0CV-F20-NKF

If you try them and have your own levels you want played to get them in circulation I'd be happy to play yours in return
haven't played the other two yet, but race level was amazing, easily one of my favorite courses so far

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone else miss the "wa wa" sound effect when you finish a Mario World level?

Doesn't seem right without it.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
Out of curiosity, has anyone experienced any lava-rising courses in multiplayer? I feel like those courses would be terribly broken if they cover the start/checkpoints, but I have been thinking about a lava/water sea of crates.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
The netcode in this game may just be the worst I've seen in a first party Nintendo game since Brawl. The lag is outrageously bad. I thought versus and co-op would be a big aspect of the game for me but it's basically turned out to be a barely playable joke most of the time, especially on courses with actual difficulty that expect precision platforming. I guess we know why they never bothered putting online play into any of the NSMB games.

Doomshroom

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just finished my second level. I took me two days but im kinda happy with it. Its SMB classic level with the new forrest/cave backdrop im exploring the new dry bones shell but beware it has some light trolls.

i would love some feedback. Would be really happy if someone would give it a go.

9KC 7HX QYG

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Netcode is really bad. Had a horrible Vs match experience

Anyway, straightforward platforming level.

518 3N4 GMG. looking for feedback :)

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
Howdy y'all, I got a level here I made day one but haven't started promoting until now. I'd like to think it's tough but fair, but I'd love to get some feedback on it since I didn't dabble in Mario Maker 1 all that much. IIRC, I only ever made one level in MM1, and it was a pre-checkpoint level, so it wasn't a pleasant time.

The Squeeze Stronghold
HJM-NYQ-CHF

I just beat it, was pretty tough lol, but once I got the timing of those beat boxes in the end it was fine. Cool concept!!

I'd be over the moon if somebody tried my level out, I just don't know if what I'm doing is fun and so I'd like some feedback. Thank you in advance to anyone who tries it out, don't refrain from letting me know if it's bad! Going to go through this thread and try everyone's levels to get some inspiration :)

The Starry Windy Night
TYP-YQT-M3G

I just beat it,I dont think I understood the bowser fight lol.. the cranes didnt pick up anything, it just looks like he jumped off to his death himself o.0

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gank the Goombrat!
9Y1-188-BXF

My goal with this level was to avoid falling into the same trap I fell into the last with, forcing the player into cramped hectic spaces. This level should be much more leisurely!

The objective of the course is to find all the Goombrats! There are 60 in total but it shouldn't feel too hard if I've done well. I'd love any honest feedback!

Not a huge fan of these types of levels, but for what it was it's good, some were hidden well with none feeling unfair

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Man, versus rating is brutal. Don't even get a single point for 2nd place. lol

Seems a little laggy which is disappointing but I guess it just depends who you match up with.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
Would anyone be willing to try my first designed course? I worked on it for a few hours last night and am willing to receive feedback.

I went for a simple "Get so many coins" level. I think any decent player shouldn't have a problem with the level of difficulty. I went for a theme more than a challenge. Just tried to make a pretty vanilla level.

D-U8bVYU4AApWJn.jpg